• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Kagari said:
The only downside to finishing an Uncharted game... is wanting more Uncharted games at the end.

This isn't a problem for me this time, because I played them all within the space of a year. :lol (Got U1 last year, around this time of the year; got U2 in Feburary; played the beta for U3; now I have this from launch day)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really enjoyed fighting the (end game spoilers)
Djinn soldier hallucinations. Naughty Dog finally got the 'alternative supernatural enemy' thing right in my opinion.

Reckoner

Isn't the
boat part
where we are suposed to go all stealth (but can't because it is impossible) the cheapest thing EVER? I'm getting really annoyed.

I'm really glad that I started the game on Normal. It is the first Uncharted game where I did so.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I've come to the conclusion that I HATE the combat in this game. The shooting mechanics, the cover mechanics and the terrible controls combine for a very frustrating experience when it comes to the many shootouts in this game. I hate getting stuck on walls, I hate enemies that ALWAYS know exactly where I'm located AT ALL TIMES. I hate the crappy aiming. I hate how the game locks me down with snipers so I have to stay in cover only to have two body armor guys appear behind me. I hate getting stuck in stupid canned animations while the other bad guys continue to open fire on me. FUCK.

Anyone that says this game is perfect needs to have their head examined.

Now, I absolutely love the exploring, puzzle solving, platforming, set pieces and cinematics of this game. The graphics are outstanding.

Overall I give it an 8.5/10 and UC2>UC3.

Arkham City is still my GOTY pick at this moment. Of course, that could change after I play Skyrim and Skyward Sword. Saints Row 3 has an outside shot as well I suppose.

EatChildren said:
Djinn soldier hallucinations. Naughty Dog finally got the 'alternative supernatural enemy' thing right in my opinion.

During my treasure run yesterday, I accidentally found out that you can melee those guys; I'm not sure if you can kill them that way because I was about to die and ran away, but it might be a useful tactic if you can steelfist them.

Err, see on the one hand I get everyones gripes with the story and totally agree. But then I got to get myself back in check and realize its a game, they all kind of suck. I mean, I dunno - since this series gets closer and closer to movies, it seems like the story is becoming more and more essential to the enjoyment. Which I don't even think ND prepared for. Hopefully now they understand where they stand and really flesh out a story first and then build set pieces from there.

I mean shit, the story wasn't great - but it sadly was still better than Batman. But since Batman is more gamey, it gets a little extra slack. But I agree, they really got to hunker down on the story first. And I guarantee that U4 will be more story focused and less about crazy set pieces. And with that I think it will make it the best one.

The set pieces in U3 were MUCH crazier then U2 (its true). But I don't think they FEEL as impactful/epic because they all kind of feel... pointless? I think once you ground something in urgency and reality -- and then put you in a dire (epic) situation, it becomes much more real and the feeling that much greater.

That's why if you play those set pieces on their won, they are really fuckin neat. I just went to Best Buy and played the Chateau again (with an audience) and it was so great. But I think when you put it all together, it loses its value.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Darknessbear said:
Err, see on the one hand I get everyones gripes with the story and totally agree. But then I got to get myself back in check and realize its a game, they all kind of suck. I mean, I dunno - since this series gets closer and closer to movies, it seems like the story is becoming more and more essential to the enjoyment. Which I don't even think ND prepared for. Hopefully now they understand where they stand and really flesh out a story first and then build set pieces from there.

I mean shit, the story wasn't great - but it sadly was still better than Batman. But since Batman is more gamey, it gets a little extra slack. But I agree, they really got to hunker down on the story first. And I guarantee that U4 will more story focused and less about crazy set pieces. And with that I think it will make it the best one.

Uncharted has always had an extremely heavy focus on story, for scripted sequences, cinematics and the flow of gameplay. I have no idea why anybody would even bother with the series unless they were invested in the characters and events.

It gets praise and criticism for the same reason any story focused game would; it's integral to the entire experience.

jett said:
The problem with that place is that the people complaining are playing that area in a conventional way instead of taking advantage of the environment.
You can swim under nearly every piece of debris floating on the water, effectively using it as cover.
That was the only way to beat it on crushing. The only problem I have with that place is that it forces a checkpoint on you and you can't attempt to stealth your way through it again.

I ultimately beat it by taking out a few guys in stealth, then waiting for the first sniper to spawn and killed him and got his gun. Theres a small area thats fairly well hidden (by the treasure) with a grenade launcher. I alternated between sniper rifle and grenade launcher depending on the enemies' distance. I had to swim out 1 time after i used up all ammo but otherwise i actually spent less time here on Crushing than on Hard

EatChildren said:
Uncharted has always had an extremely heavy focus on story, for scripted sequences, cinematics and the flow of gameplay. I have no idea why anybody would even bother with the series unless they were invested in the characters and events.

It gets praise and criticism for the same reason any story focused game would; it's integral to the entire experience.
Yes I agree. But it really wasn't started as, "Lets give a great story!" and I think ND was kind of blind sided by that fact. People really grew to the characters and events (I know more than ND thought they would) and kind of dug themselves in a hole. And with them building U3 - setpieces first, story... third. They underestimated the value of the world they created and how important context is. They probably will have to allocate more resources to their writing team (Amy...) and get some more writers proficient in this genre. U4 will be a treat.

EatChildren said:

Yeah I enjoyed them as well. Compared to the blue Lou Ferrigno's, and the creatures from the Decent I thought they have been the best handled closer of the games. I also loved that it turns out your
just hallucinating all that stuff.

cpp_is_king said:
I ultimately beat it by taking out a few guys in stealth, then waiting for the first sniper to spawn and killed him and got his gun. Theres a small area thats fairly well hidden (by the treasure) with a grenade launcher. I alternated between sniper rifle and grenade launcher depending on the enemies' distance. I had to swim out 1 time after i used up all ammo but otherwise i actually spent less time here on Crushing than on Hard

Instead of rage quitting you adapted and were victorious. Good job.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah I enjoyed them as well. Compared to the blue Lou Ferrigno's, and the creatures from the Decent I thought they have been the best handled closer of the games. I also loved that it turns out your
Yea I really thought the story was going to have a sort of twist like;
it turns out Talbot and Marlowe knew where the Atlantis was all along. And they actually frequented there; thus why Talbot had the hallucinogenic darts (putting the cities water into his darts). They spent millions trying to locate the source of what was turning the water into this hallucinogenic (to use it as a weapon?) and they knew they needed Drake to discover it. So by using the darts, they were able to guide him on his track - open his mind to what he wanted to see. Eventually getting him there and forcing him to use his knowledge to find the source.

Super cheesy twist - Sully was Talbot most of the time, Drake was just trippin. So when Sully gets shot - it was Talbot shot by sully. HEYOOO

spats

BruceLeeRoy said:

Instead of rage quitting you adapted and were victorious. Good job.

Speaking of which,
the hallucination effect is totally insanely cool. I can't tell if they're actually deforming some geometry or just applying crazy post processing. Either way it really messes with your head. Best trippy dream sequence(s) since Max Payne.

spats said:
Speaking of which,
the hallucination effect is totally insanely cool. I can't tell if they're actually deforming some geometry or just applying crazy post processing. Either way it really messes with your head. Best trippy dream sequence(s) since Max Payne.

Dude I thought of Max Payne too during that whole sequence. I loved the effect.

JohngPR said:
Of course, his problem with the game isn't the shooting...he actually thinks its a decent shooter...it's with the story. I am so surprised that he decided to criticize the one thing that other reviewers liked the most about the game. I never saw that coming!

[/sarcasm]

Also, we don't need another thread for that. What can be talked about that hasn't already been covered a million times. Doing so only gives into what the guy obviously wants.
Yea, what a backwards review. All he focuses on is the story. Neglects everything else (set pieces, graphics, sound, multiplayer, coop, gameplay) and gives it a 4. Honestly you could do that with any game - pick your least favorite part of a game and review it solely on that. And then you get that website?

JohngPR said:
EDIT LOL

I had an old window open and thought this was a new post.

*blushes*
lolol. Fooled me!

Anteater

RyanardoDaVinci said:
During my treasure run yesterday, I accidentally found out that you can melee those guys; I'm not sure if you can kill them that way because I was about to die and ran away, but it might be a useful tactic if you can steelfist them.

I think they
do this thing where it pushes you away and teleport if you punch them a few times, could be wrong though

Darknessbear said:
Yea, what a backwards review. All he focuses on is the story. Neglects everything else (set pieces, graphics, sound, multiplayer, coop, gameplay) and gives it a 4. Honestly you could do that with any game - pick your least favorite part of a game and review it solely on that. And then you get that website?

lolol. Fooled me!

Tom Chick is a caricature you can't take him seriously about anything. He has always been about shock value.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I think my game glitched o.0. Chapter 8 I think... in that tower where you must go up and up, a grenade goes off, you circle around the tower outside and help out your pinned allies. I clean the room out of baddies, music stays on... Characters don't move... nowhere to go. Have been 15 mins like this, even killed myself. What?!?

What the hell. This is the second time i have to restart chapter 6. I'm at the area where they finally introduce grenades about 1.5 hours in and it says : to aim-throw a grenade start by holding L1. Then I hit L1 and it goes to : now tap L2. But nothing happens. the game just freezes.
Its annoying because it autosaves right there and i cant do anything but restart the chapter. I already did that but it keeps freezing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Relix said:
I think my game glitched o.0. Chapter 8 I think... in that tower where you must go up and up, a grenade goes off, you circle around the tower outside and help out your pinned allies. I clean the room out of baddies, music stays on... Characters don't move... nowhere to go. Have been 15 mins like this, even killed myself. What?!?
You're missing the door that blends in to the wall.

chrisisawesome said:
What the hell. This is the second time i have to restart chapter 6. I'm at the area where they finally introduce grenades about 1.5 hours in and it says : to aim-throw a grenade start by holding L1. Then I hit L1 and it goes to : now tap L2. But nothing happens. the game just freezes.
Its annoying because it autosaves right there and i cant do anything but restart the chapter. I already did that but it keeps freezing.

The game itself is a buggy mess unfortunately. Could've used a lot more polished. Or hopefully a patch will rectify most of the issues I have with this game.

Again, especially the A.I. I feel like I'm playing a game from 1997.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1k_jJYR8CY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d43rxZz4rw

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Chamber said:
You're missing the door that blends in to the wall.

See

between the lighting, and the overall bleak looks its quite easy to miss that. Not good ND :p! Thanks Chamber haha

Oh, didnt know so many people had such big problems with the story. It was the best of the series, for me. And yeah, I know there are a few plot holes.

Sinthetic

That sandy hair!

The music was absolutely stunning at the start of Chapter 19.

I'm too amazed by how incredible this game is. I'm not going to put it in the top 5 best game of all time until I finish the game, ah what the Hell, it is easily in the top 5 games of all time.

anddo0 said:
No melee button prompts on Crushing for
the final fight
is pure bull shit.. That's all.

Its time to put your big boy pants on.

Sinthetic said:
That sandy hair!

The music was absolutely stunning at the start of Chapter 19.

I'm too amazed by how incredible this game is. I'm not going to put it in the top 5 best game of all time until I finish the game, ah what the Hell, it is easily in the top 5 games of all time.

Ha. Nice

Dynedom

anddo0 said:
the final fight

Holy shit. That's going to be be awesome, haha. I almost think that relying on my own instincts would be easier than following the button prompts (which I found to often screw me over).

The Main Event said:
The game itself is a buggy mess unfortunately. Could've used a lot more polished. Or hopefully a patch will rectify most of the issues I have with this game.

Again, especially the A.I. I feel like I'm playing a game from 1997.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1k_jJYR8CY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d43rxZz4rw
How are these good examples?

The first one the guy is just suppressing his cover. And the second one they were waiting? They are just AI you gotta remember. They aren't going to give up and go get steaks together.

anddo0 said:
the final fight

Eh, its really not that bad. I thought it would make the melee fights harder, but it really doesnt

Teknoman

Darknessbear said:

The first one the guy is just suppressing his cover. And the second one they were waiting? They are just AI you gotta remember. They aren't going to give up and go get steaks together.

lol :D

Whats the GAF Clan tag again? Just GAF? We had one in beta but forgot whether it was NGAF or GAF...or even NeoG.

Jme

Relix said:

Had a similar experience in chapter 10 when you
jump into a market and have to fight a few guys and then a brute, then a few more guys before Sully and Elana open the gate for you
I beat everyone and the music stayed the same and Drake was stuck in "fight" mode. Couldn't do anything and had to save/reload to replay the entire scene and for whatever reason that time it worked.

Long story short - try a save/reload.

Edit - oh, nevermind. I was actually stuck you were just lost :p

I can see them nerfing the Cash'em post. Cutting the time down, , maybe the timer goes while your dead or it cost more then 4 medals for the kickback.

They really need to fix the treasure glitch, party members in different games and make the gun play as smooth as two.

Anteater

cpp_is_king said:
Eh, its really not that bad. I thought it would make the melee fights harder, but it really doesnt

Yea, countering in this game is really forgiving anyway, never died once because I just press triangle whenever I think I'm going to get hit.

Dynedom said:
Holy shit. That's going to be be awesome, haha. I almost think that relying on my own instincts would be easier than following the button prompts (which I found to often screw me over).

It is actually easier and more fun, since you already remember what their attacks are like and you have better visual cues to press counter than relying on a button prompt.

Relix said:

Did you try opening the wooden door at the top?

EatChildren said:
I definitely got the vibe fro Uncharted 3 that Naughty Dog wanted to give the series a rest. Thematically and in content the game has a 'final' feel to it, or at least like there needs to a break. I did a good job of closing off issues between
Drake and Sir Francis Drake, Elena and Sully
. Certain thematic and visual devices also made the story feel like it had come full circle, back to the original game.

Obviously due to the success of the series Sony wont want it to go away, but I figure Naughty Dog will want to start a new IP for next generation (I assume they've already started). I wonder if Uncharted will get farmed out, much like the Vita version.
I still think there is
the secret about Nate´real name that is still a mystery
. Or we could get Uncharted about Sully when he was young.

Darknessbear said:
Yes I agree. But it really wasn't started as, "Lets give a great story!" and I think ND was kind of blind sided by that fact. People really grew to the characters and events (I know more than ND thought they would) and kind of dug themselves in a hole. And with them building U3 - setpieces first, story... third. They underestimated the value of the world they created and how important context is. They probably will have to allocate more resources to their writing team (Amy...) and get some more writers proficient in this genre. U4 will be a treat.
Nd havr to start working on setpirces first because they're on tight deadline and making setpieces took a long time and they cant afford to scrap stuff just because it didnt fit perfectly with the story. also, schedule conflict with voice actor force them to alter story etc.

Darknessbear said:

I wish I could film every seconds I play...

Alright, I'll let pass the first vid...even though an enemy before it actually went to attack me on the side. This one just got stuck there for some reasons...

The second one, however, I missed a good minute before it. Basically, they spotted me, started shooting, and I decided to not touch my controller. They stopped doing anything. Not even throwing any grenades. I decided to AIM at them, and they didn't even attack (which happened to me couple times already), as you can see for a few seconds in the vid. That's why I decided to pull out my iPhone. But then it triggered their attack when I was at a certain angle.

Like in this example (posted it earlier): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGuS8gjX5Kk

This kind of situation happened to me MANY times already...like...I can almost trigger a certain glitch at almost every gunfights.

I mean I totally understand the concept of A.I., but for a game like Uncharted I expected a little bit more effort in that regard.

The Main Event said:
I wish I could film every seconds I play...

Alright, I'll let pass the first vid...even though an enemy before it actually went to attack me on the side. This one just got stuck there for some reasons...

The second one, however, I missed a good minute before it. Basically, they spotted me, started shooting, and I decided to not touch my controller. They stopped doing anything. Not even throwing any grenades. I decided to AIM at them, and they didn't even attack (which happened to me MANY times already), as you can see for a few seconds in the vid. That's why I decided to pull out my iPhone. But then it triggered their attack when I was at a certain angle.

Just like in this example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGuS8gjX5Kk

This kind of situation happened to me MANY times already...like...I can almost trigger a certain glitch at almost every gunfights.

I mean I totally understand the concept of A.I., but for a game like Uncharted I expected a little bit more of effort in that regard.
Ah ok got it. Yea I'll give you that one.

And I have ran into a lot of weird AI things as well. I think its because they gave the guys so many different simulations now, that they just get confused easier. Especially when you have fights with lots of allies.

spats said:
Speaking of which,

That was the first thought that popped to my mind as well! Very cool.

EatChildren said:

I agree. That was definitely the best enemy of the three games.

Top Bottom