• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

colt45joe

Banned
JohngPR said:
It's not THAT different people.

It really is completely different. The aiming is not smooth at all. Needs to be fixed.

Just try it yourself, aim and rotate the right stick in a circle, and you will see that its almost impossible for drake to make an imaginary circle ...

Replicant

I charted this last night and despite my complaints against the game, I found myself enjoying it far more than Uncharted 2. Mostly because there are more variety in the gameplay. Like I said before, I don't mind the change in the gameplay, where I'm encouraged to do run/blind-shoot + melee + back to hiding in cover. However, such gameplay change needs to be accompanied by a change in environment design, which needs to be very open for it to work. And for the most part, the game does open the environment with Airport and boat deck being the only two exceptions.

My favorite parts are:
chase scene in Yemen, water/boat battle in ship graveyard, boat racing sequence, sneaking into the plane and its subsequent fallout, horse riding and its truck jumping moments, and the final escape from the Atlantis of the sand
. I don't actually find shooting to be that much of an issue once things started to heat up since I seem to be popping headshots after headshots. I do think it'd have been a major issue in Crushing mode though since it took me a few sec to line up the reticule due to the stickiness of it.

Despite it, I do have many complaints about the game:

1. Graphics. 99% the graphic is top notch but that 1% did bother me. This mostly happened in area with large population like in the flashback. There's a plastic sense to these people and it distracted me a bit. Also, some of the texture and AA work in that early part of the game felt off.

2. Movement. I've mentioned this above. There's an over-the-top flailing feel to Drake's movement and it's kind of annoying. It's hard to keep him in straight line at times. Then there's the stickiness issue with the shooting.

3. Enemies and waves. They are fucking insane but I should have known this since I did platinum'd UC1 and UC2. But it doesn't make it less annoying and I suspect it'd be very frustrating on Crushing. Most of the time, the tactic to deal with this is always to find the Hammer/RPG OR shoot the guy who has one and grab his weapon. And if a Hammer can't be found, get the shotgun and grenades in case those armored assholes come to seek you. Failing that, if you're sure that the sniper can't get to you, you are better off melee-ing the armored guys than trying to shoot them. Also, in most cases run/gun+melee works better than hiding behind the cover.

4. Story.
You'd think that after failures after failures of not getting anything but life-threatening situations on their adventure with Nate, Sully and Elena would know better than to follow this crazy man. Also, isn't Nate tired of being wrong all the time? Most of his journey to find this great treasures always end up with him finding some cursed BS and ended with him coming home empty handed. How do they afford all of these trips? I know I'm not supposed to question these things but it's kind of frustrating following his story and ended up cringing at the end because the characters don't seem to get anything out of their journey at the end. Lack of supernatural creatures is also disappointing. Fuck those who said they hate the supernatural element of Uncharted. They are part of what makes Uncharted unique.

5. Save files. FFS, I don't want my manual save file to be over-written by auto-save. Surely ND can create a separate auto-save that doesn't over-written the manual save. I save manually because I want to be able to replay certain section without replaying the entire chapter or worse, 2 or more chapter. I also want to show my friend, "Hey, check out this cool section". This doesn't work if my manual save is over-written by the auto-save. Also, why can't I save more than 10 save files? I wish most developers just implement Dead Space's save system where you can save as much as you want depending on your HDD's space.

If you can't be bothered to read all of that, TLDR version: found the game to be more enjoyable than UC2 but it does have massive problems that brings it down. It has the potential to be better than UC2 but it didn't because of the problems. I don't think it tarnished the brand or anything but it sure is missing its potential to be a better game than UC2 and that annoys me more than anything else because I do like this game more than UC2.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
taoofjord said:
I'm so confused and weirded out. As much as I hate to say it, I'm just not enjoying Uncharted 3. This is coming from someone who thinks Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games of all time. I don't enjoy the combat, the game feels unpolished in quite a few places, the cool tricks and creative choices from Uncharted 1 and 2 are used again and feel tired. The graphics have failed to impress me all that much (thanks to a really odd AF issues and the game being so freaking dark and high contrast). I'm so disappointed and... sad. I'd have never believed that I would flat out not find U3 fun.
Where are you? I kind of felt the same at first but it picks up a lot in the second half. I like it as much as 2 but for different reasons.

I don't know what Chapter it is... but it's Chapter something 14, 15 or 16 something maybe...

All I can say it DAT WATER :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

Also earlier on, DAT FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O :O :O :O :O

Shit is insane, and this unbelievable beauty that is feasting my eyes with sex is on a PS3!!! WTF! Am I dreaming!?

I had been on media block out on this game since the very beginning so I had no idea what was coming. How the fuck did they pull it off. HOW? I don't care if it's scripted or not, simply the fact that they pulled it off and it FEELS so immersive and true.

Especially where
on the cruise ship, in the storm, as the boat is rocking around as the water rolls over the deck and Drake and the enemies stumble, and the waves cause the boat to roll from side to side. Then the boat starts filling with water with what seems to me like realistic water physics...

WHAT THE FUCK NAUGHTY DOG!!! Seriously my eyes were bleeding with joy. How did they pull this shit off. We've never seen anything like this before.

Holy shit next Gen. Please Sony, the market is showing you now that the Wii was just a temporary 'fad' just like everyone thought, do your absolutely most powerfully complicated hardware design worst next gen so we can see this kind of leap in graphics.

Compare Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 3 :O

Okay U3 is not that much further on from U2 in terms of simply the way it looks visually, but the STUFF going on actively on screen instead of just static shit compared to U2 is just beyond words.

Net_Wrecker said:
The brand isn't tarnished, that's a HUGE overstatement. I do think U3 was a step back in numerous areas though, but at this point I'm starting to believe they did it on purpose just so they had something to improve. That's really the only reasoning that makes sense to me.

Wait what? Lol.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Replicant said:
4. Story. You'd think that after failures after failures of not getting anything but life-threatening situations on their adventure with Nate, Sully and Elena would know better than to follow this crazy man. Also, isn't Nate tired of being wrong all the time? Most of his journey to find this great treasures always end up with him finding some cursed BS and ended with him coming home empty handed. How do they afford all of these trips? I know I'm not supposed to question these things but it's kind of frustrating following his story and ended up cringing at the end because the characters don't seem to get anything out of their journey at the end.

Nate and co. prevent bad guys from doing terrible things in each story, so it's not like there is no positive outcome to their adventures whatsoever. I don't know where they get the money for travel, but that is not something I ask myself in any video game.

Replicant said:
4. Story. You'd think that after failures after failures of not getting anything but life-threatening situations on their adventure with Nate, Sully and Elena would know better than to follow this crazy man. Also, isn't Nate tired of being wrong all the time? Most of his journey to find this great treasures always end up with him finding some cursed BS and ended with him coming home empty handed. How do they afford all of these trips? I know I'm not supposed to question these things but it's kind of frustrating following his story and ended up cringing at the end because the characters don't seem to get anything out of their journey at the end. Lack of supernatural creatures is also disappointing. Fuck those who said they hate the supernatural element of Uncharted. They are part of what makes Uncharted unique.

I will say this... Drake's character, and his profile and his personality... for him, it's never really about finding the treasure, it's about the hunt, it's about seeing the things from his family's history and past, it's about discovery, it's about being there first - it's about the ADVENTURE.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
ColonialRaptor said:
That Bold bit is a PRETTY BIG SPOILER DUDE.

I haven't finished the game yet, so your whole post is a big spoiler filled bah :( But anyhow, I didn't expect them to walk away with anything but knowing that they don't is still SHIT considering that's the end of the game and you didn't spoiler tag it and that is what we're all playing the damn game for.

I will just say this... Drake's character, and his profile and his personality... for him, it's never really about finding the treasure, it's about the hunt, it's about seeing the things from his family's history and past, it's about discovery, it's about being there first - it's about the ADVENTURE.

Don't worry about the bold spoiler. Something interesting does happen in the style of the other games' change-ups.

Replicant

ColonialRaptor said:
That Bold bit is a PRETTY BIG SPOILER DUDE.

My apology, it's been rectified now but you're the one who has the spoiler now. Also, what are you doing here when you haven't finished the story? I'd stay away since people have spoilered stuff periodically here and there without spoiler tag.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Nate and co. prevent bad guys from doing terrible things in each story, so it's not like there is no positive outcome to their adventures whatsoever. I don't know where they get the money for travel, but that is not something I ask myself in any video game.

I know, but it'd be nice for them
to get something at the end of the story. A pay-off. As it is now, I feel like I come home empty handed

calder

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I don't know where they get the money for travel, but that is not something I ask myself in any video game.
What? They've made out like bandits most times! They spent most of giant boat full of treasure they had in the first game in the second, but they always find time to stash some priceless trinkets away. ;)
as they did this time, Sully had at least several hundred thousand dollars worth of coins in his hand at the end, certainly enough to buy a broken down old plane and let them all continue their moderate tomb raiding - er- amateur archaeology in style

Finished it last night and I really loved it. I really liked the ending, and also really liked the twists leading up to the final conflicts. Not a perfect game, and maybe not enough to defeat Arkham City for my personal GOTY, but easily one of my favourite games this year. The last couple of hours I found the combat/controls less annoying on hard (maybe I just got used to it) and just enjoyed the ride. :D

I'm on Chapter 12 right now (13, maybe). Game started to pick up when Drake visited (location spoiler for the super paranoid)
Syria with Elena and Sully
. I'm currently in the
abandoned shipyard.
. Maybe I'm just stupid, but holy shit, I died so many times at this part, specifically the beginning when you're in stealth mode.

And I didn't realize it till now, but I think this is the first part in the game where you're not with an NPC character. I forgot how much I missed being alone until now.

I just want to point out how much I love it when Drake reads aloud quotes from the past adventurers whenever he finds a lost page/tablet/clue or what have you. Be they real or fictional, I feel that they are well written and well spoken and very poetic. They give the series part of its charm for me.

ColonialRaptor said:
I don't know what Chapter it is... but it's Chapter something 14, 15 or 16 something maybe...

All I can say it DAT WATER :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

Also earlier on, DAT FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O :O :O :O :O

Shit is insane, and this unbelievable beauty that is feasting my eyes with sex is on a PS3!!! WTF! Am I dreaming!?

I had been on media block out on this game since the very beginning so I had no idea what was coming. How the fuck did they pull it off. HOW? I don't care if it's scripted or not, simply the fact that they pulled it off and it FEELS so immersive and true.

Especially where
on the cruise ship, in the storm, as the boat is rocking around as the water rolls over the deck and Drake and the enemies stumble, and the waves cause the boat to roll from side to side. Then the boat starts filling with water with what seems to me like realistic water physics...

WHAT THE FUCK NAUGHTY DOG!!! Seriously my eyes were bleeding with joy. How did they pull this shit off. We've never seen anything like this before.

Holy shit next Gen. Please Sony, the market is showing you now that the Wii was just a temporary 'fad' just like everyone thought, do your absolutely most powerfully complicated hardware design worst next gen so we can see this kind of leap in graphics.

Compare Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 3 :O

Okay U3 is not that much further on from U2 in terms of simply the way it looks visually, but the STUFF going on actively on screen instead of just static shit compared to U2 is just beyond words.

Your giddiness is palpable Raptor glad you like it man.

Also I don't remember if I already posted this but the melee on crushing is a 100X better.
Not having to look for the icon cues of when to counter and hit and stuff makes a huge difference. Your actually better and the combat flows so much more because your looking for natural visual indicators that a guy is about to grab, punch, kick you. Sooo much better this way. They should have given you a option to turn the combat help off.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I just want to point out how much I love it when Drake reads aloud quotes from the past adventurers whenever he finds a lost page/tablet/clue or what have you. Be they real or fictional, I feel that they are well written and well spoken and very poetic. They give the series part of its charm for me.

Yeah I really love that as well. The whole game is just so cohesive and complete with its characters.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
In their first game, they're sponsored by Elena's employer. They're mostly already well off in the beginning of the second game (well, Drake is, not sure about Chloe and Flynn, since they weren't in the first game), but most of it is lost to get Drake out of prison.

In the third game, we know they weren't after money, but they're proffesional thieves, kinda, so it's not out of the question that they've had a couple of side jobs between the games.

laika09

Wario64 said:
1.01 patch coming within 24 hours

http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/uncharted_3_patch_101_notes/

The Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception 1.01 patch has been released and will be rolling out across all regions globally in the next 24 hours. The patch notes to update 1.01 are as follows:

Available: November 7, 2011

Technical

Fixed an issue so that 3D works properly on all Sony SimulView 3D TVs.

Mehhh

Wow, ultimate troll. Yikes.

the water in this game is pretty.... pretty.

having real waves sure is a leap over U1 and U2's flat almost source engine like water water.

oh and Naughty Dog are KINGS of making things look wet in games.

stuff looks like its actually wet and not like its covered in jelly like in most games.

funkystudent said:

having real waves sure is a leap over U1 and U2's flat almost source engine like water water.

stuff looks like its actually wet and not like its covered in jelly like in most games.

Yeah the unreal engine does make everything look likes its covered in vaseline.

On repeat plays this game really just gets better and better. The visuals never cease to amaze me either. The lighting in the
museum with young drake
is fantastic looking.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BruceLeeRoy said:
On repeat plays this game really just gets better and better. The visuals never cease to amaze me either. The lighting in the
museum with young drake
is fantastic looking.
Yeah, it really does. I'm almost done with my second run and I'm enjoying it immensely even on a second run.

Raonak

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah the unreal engine does make everything look likes its covered in vaseline.
Yeah, i thought people were kidding, until i played arkham asylum. ohgod. that plus the art style is not a good combo.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Square Triangle said:
I seriously doubted Naughty Dog would have a patch ready for the aiming by now.

Time to poke arne :D But seriously, they had people come in to tweak it on Friday. It hasn't been that long.

Kagari said:
Time to poke arne :D But seriously, they had people come in to tweak it on Friday. It hasn't been that long.

Plus its not like they actually fixed the aiming when they were there. They just fine tuned some things and got a better idea of what the issues were.

Poona

Hopefully they get a patch out that enables a cut scene viewer like the two previous games. I have no idea what's going on in the game at the moment as I missed the cut scene that last came up.

Jax said:
that's your opinion but while I enjoy the MP game; I do think that it has. It went from grade A prime beef to.. yeah, whatever it is now. Go find my posts in the UC2 thread; i thought it was amazing. This; good not great.

too many niggles. animation. shooting. story. modelling/faces. characterisation etc.

I need to know what your avatar is from...

laika09

Poona said:
Hopefully they get a patch out that enables a cut scene viewer like the two previous games. I have no idea what's going on in the game at the moment as I missed the cut scene that last came up.

It was mentioned somewhere by Justin Richmond (the GT Bonus Round interview?) that the cutscene viewer wasn't in because they used ambient music for the prerendered videos this time around, and that made it unfeasible to add a standalone viewer.

But then Arne never made mention of that in this thread, so I don't know.

JohngPR

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The fact that many people have the same complaint is not itself evidence that "mob mentality" is the cause. You'll have to try another way to invalidate others' opinions.

I think you are misunderstanding my intent and maybe it's may fault for making it more clear.

I'm referring to those like the guy stating that this game is tarnishing the brand...I mean really?

The shooting is different than Uncharted 2, and when you change things you will have people that won't like it, but to go as far as to say that the game isn't good because of it is probably going a little too far with it.

Hell, I like the shooting in Uncharted 2 better as well. If they kept the same exactly shooting, I doubt many would have complained. I just think stating that this game isn't any good because of it is overstating how different the shooting is.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I agree that UC2 was so good that a lot of the changes in UC3 feel like steps sideways rather than forward. Some people like it better, some people like it worse and there's no overwhelming consensus about which is better, unlike with UC1 and UC2 where majority opinion seems clearly on the side of UC2.

Someone woulds be literally wrong if they said the shooting in Uncharted 1 is better than Uncharted 2. :p

Cheska

Finally got my platinum this morning :D

I can honestly say I liked my Crushing playthrough more than any of my other runs. Relying on instincts for the melee portions was so much fun, and I found myself doing much better than having to follow the prompts. Maybe because I was getting distracted by the prompts, so I'd end up pressing them to late.

Also, I didn't find the game any more difficult on Crushing than Normal, with the exception of three parts:
The convoy section, I probably died more trying to take the guys on the truck out than anywhere else. The cargo ship with the brute/PK-80 was atrocious, but it was pretty difficult on the easier settings too. The early sections in Chapter 19 were by far the hardest for me, but once I took those suckers down, I felt a huge wave of accomplishment.

Overall, I am beyond pleased with the game and am eagerly awaiting the implementation of cinema mode. Plus, now that I've completed the game 100%, I can turn my entire focus to multiplayer ^_^

dralla

I went back and played UC1 a little yesterday and it is rough. The combat is all about 'stop and pop', you die so quickly even on Normal that it's hard to move around. The combat 'arenas' are all so flat, they're not designed in a way to really take advantage of Drakes mobility and the traversal mechanics, it feels more like a poor mans Gears of War. It's still fun to go back to and graphically it holds up well. I also like Drakes jumping animation.

Than I went to UC2 and god damn what a massive jump. The combat is sublime with the removal of waves and really expertly designed 'arenas' that give the player plenty of options to move around. Bullets do less damage and give you the opportunity to constantly move, enemies taking cover, reacting to bullets to prevent them from bull rushing me. The Monastery! What a ton of great fights here, I think this is where you get the best fire fights in the entire series. I also love the area in Shambala that's in a tight corridor filled with water, I love to take the Hammer, go up top and bounce grenades off the walls below me.

Moving on to 3, what I think it does better than the prequels is writing. As much as I love UC2 the writing can get a little cheesy at times ["OR YOU KNOW, SAVE THE WORLD!"]. The action sequences are a step above UC2's, which are still great. But at the same time the ones in UC2 felt narrative driven, they were there to drive the story forward, that is not the case in UC3. The supernatural elements are handled the best yet in 3. I like the villains in 3 more as well. Talbot in particular was so easy to hate and I could not wait to fuck him up. Marlowe was cool but wish we got a little more screen time or back story. I liked how game went into Drakes personalty more, I wish they would've taken it further though, they seemed to quickly wrap that up at the end. And finally, the ending area of 3 is easily the best of the series. Not only is it gorgeous but it's a ton of fun and the ending sequence was fantastic.

So in conclusion, 2>3>1. 3 is great in its own right, but as a sequel to UC2 I can't help but be a little disappointed.

And another thing, playing them all back to back you really notice the improvement in the voice acting. Elena in particular has improved significantly since UC1.

JohngPR said:
I'm referring to those like the guy stating that this game is tarnishing the brand...I mean really? .
He's on my ignore list for good reasons.

I've definitely gotten used to the aiming even more now during my hard run (@ chapter 16) but I popped in U2 last night and definitely miss the smoother/quicker aiming.

taoofjord

RoboPlato said:
Where are you? I kind of felt the same at first but it picks up a lot in the second half. I like it as much as 2 but for different reasons.

I'm in Chapter 11 or 12, I forget. Here's hoping you're right :)

JohngPR

xenorevlis said:
He's on my ignore list for good reasons.

I've definitely gotten used to the aiming even more now during my hard run (@ chapter 16) but I popped in U2 last night and definitely miss the smoother/quicker aiming.

Truth be told, I do like the shooting in Uncharted 2 more. It was just there and worked, I never thought a whole lot about it.

Apparently the patch is just to fix something on the 3D side. :(

I was hoping it was an aim fix so we could never speak of it again. LOL

laika09

Cheska said:
I can honestly say I liked my Crushing playthrough more than any of my other runs. Relying on instincts for the melee portions was so much fun, and I found myself doing much better than having to follow the prompts. Maybe because I was getting distracted by the prompts, so I'd end up pressing them to late.

Agree here. The melee system seems so much better without the button prompts. Only having the slowmo to clue you in on an incoming attack seems so much more fluid and natural. I counter way more attacks on Crushing than I ever did on Normal.

funkystudent said:

They really improved the way Drake gets wet, I noticed when I rolled in a small puddle, I was only wet in certain areas, as opposed to being wet in complete sections. Also mp is f-ing awesome.

Top Bottom