• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

The Lamp

Niblet said:
Dear god, what is the best strategy for dealing with the heavily armored guys in co-op adventure and arena? Specifically on harder difficulties. My favorite way to play co-op is using run and gun shottie. The shotgun is worthless against them. I have to use a automatic rifle, but they take so many damn shots and they're so powerful, especially the ones with the LMG and of course they're accompanied by grabbers and snipers.

I just take a pistol or other gun like G-MAL/M9 and go for headshots. Soon enough, you'll get to blow their cap off, leave their head vulnerable, and shoot their brains out. Ignore using shotguns, they won't work well. You could also try to lay a grenade in their path, destroy their armor, and then try shooting.

cackhyena

While the aiming is a big problem, I think a lot of the issues with traversal hiccups would be solved by having Nathan be a little more grounded. He often feels weightless when he shouldn't. I just wanted him to have a little more heft and weight behind his movements whether it be melee, running through hallways or making those big leaps.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Squire Felix said:
What I don't understand with this game compared to the others is the amount of doubt everyone has in Drake this game. Evil people have been shooting guns at him the past two games, but this time its all outta control.
Elena has been nagging him about it for the Past two games actually.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
mickcenary said:
Impressions (so far):

Let me preface this by saying that I loved the absolutle shit out of UC1 and UC2, but this game is starting to feel like a bit of a chore. Everything just feels as if it has been tweaked detrimentally.

Yes, it's well-established that the aiming model is beyond mediocre, but the traversal and cover mechanics also seem slower and far more prone to eliciting an unwanted action - something that can get you killed quick-smart in this game, even on Normal.

And had I not played Arkham Asylum/Arkham City, I'd probably be impressed with the combat system that ND have crafted here, but now, I'm left sorely wanting for a bit more than glorified button mashing. It's also annoying that hand-to-hand combat is so audaciously encouraged - goons coming at you from left and right in small spaces - yet, the game won't hesitate to dole out a cheap death from a shotgunner out of your limited periphery once engaged in combat.

It might seem that I'm only focusing on the negatives here, but UC3 really doesn't bring much to the table that hasn't already been brought by UC2 way back when and with more polish. It's definitely better than most of its contemporaries in its own right, but you simply have to compare it to the awesomeness that is UC2; there's no way around that. And with that in mind, it's not a 10/10. A prerequisite for such an accolade should be a quality jump akin to Assassin's Creed 1 > 2, or Gears of War 2 > 3. Being "as good" as its predecessor, which may happen to be a 10/10 game, does not automatically qualify it for the same grade.

Granted, I'm only just into the
Ship Graveyard
, but the pacing isn't there, the storytelling isn't there and the setpieces have been weaker (nothing even comes close to the Tank Cat & Mouse segment of UC2), but I understand that the game may still be building.

TL;DR - still fun, still unique, but it kinda feels like a step back.

Does it improve exponentially from here, Gaf?

The combat doesn't really get better in terms of what you didn't like (and I share your feelings on that subject). Everything else does, though. The settings and story become more propulsive in the second half.

Your impressions are pretty well in line with my own, and it's starting to solidify my opinion that the game is working at cross purposes.

On the one hand, it's heavily reliant on narrative to pull you through the experience, which means that ND wanted the first playthrough to be the best experience possible.

However, the combat arenas are designed such that you really need to explore them and figure out good strategies, and there is a lot of freedom in how you approach each scenario. This aspect of the design makes repeated plays more worthwhile and enjoyable, but at the same time makes certain combat scenarios too difficult the first time through, which interrupts the flow.

The problem is, both of these goals are important and admirable, yet in working towards both of them, both are compromised in execution.

That said, I do look forward to playing again and seeing if the combat is indeed more fun once I'm more familiar with the scenarios.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
hey_it's_that_dog said:
The combat doesn't really get better in terms of what you didn't like (and I share your feelings on that subject). Everything else does, though. The settings and story become more propulsive in the second half.

Your impressions are pretty well in line with my own, and it's starting to solidify my opinion that the game is working at cross purposes.

On the one hand, it's heavily reliant on narrative to pull you through the experience, which means that ND wanted the first playthrough to be the best experience possible.

However, the combat arenas are designed such that you really need to explore them and figure out good strategies, and there is a lot of freedom in how you approach each scenario. This aspect of the design makes repeated plays more worthwhile and enjoyable, but at the same time makes certain combat scenarios too difficult the first time through, which interrupts the flow.

The problem is, both of these goals are important and admirable, yet in working towards both of them, both are compromised in execution.

That said, I do look forward to playing again and seeing if the combat is indeed more fun once I'm more familiar with the scenarios.

I love how many big fights I had, where I barely scratched through it... only to find an RPG or Hammer after everyone was dead. :/ That would have really helped me before!

Well... at least now I have an RPG.

*cutscene*

OMG THEY TOOK IT AWAY AHHHHH

jax (old)

Banned
cackhyena said:
While the aiming is a big problem, I think a lot of the issues with traversal hiccups would be solved by having Nathan be a little more grounded. He often feels weightless when he shouldn't. I just wanted him to have a little more heft and weight behind his movements whether it be melee, running through hallways or making those big leaps.

I honestly think they need to patch his movement in SP. the needless wall touching stupidity (which goes away in the MP game) and the constant and needless look left/right every 2-3 steps. It makes him look completely retarded. The Animation TD on this who approved this really dropped the ball.

When you play the MP game:

• the shooting is better
  • the movement is better
  • the melee is (UC2) is better

jax (old)

Banned
mickcenary said:
A prerequisite for such an accolade should be a quality jump akin to Assassin's Creed 1 > 2, or Gears of War 2 > 3; b

gears3 isn't that big an improvement - if only because gears2 was so bad. gears 3's lack of difficulty made it a snooze fest for me. And the campaign in UC3 is substantially better too.

At least uncharted3 is still a balls out hard game and I didn't feel like I was in a coma while playing it.

re:MP game

co-op adventure is a hoot. I like that there's a overall story arc. Had a blast. So so so fun

Am I missing something or is the co-op horde mode missing in UC3?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Jax said:
I honestly think they need to patch his movement in SP. the needless wall touching stupidity (which goes away in the MP game) and the constant and needless look left/right every 2-3 steps. It makes him look completely retarded. The Animation TD on this who approved this really dropped the ball.

When you play the MP game:

• the shooting is better
  • the movement is better
  • the melee is (UC2) is better
Nate looks like a stumbling drunk fool when he's running around touching everything.

klee123

Well, after seeing the videos and the negative impressions with the aiming so far. I'm really glad that I'm not getting the game until next week at least.

Kagari said:
My copy of Drake's Journal shipped!

It's definitely awesome - would've served better if HC, but it's still a great book. Also, make sure to have a QR code scanner handy - it links to videos, particularly the one of Nolan and the pool noodle from Jimmy Fallon, among others.

I liked how Nolan left Billy Unger's stats from when he started the mocapping for Young Drake and after - kid grew pretty fast during that short period.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Whoever said they didn't like the coverart, I agree. Big reason why I went for the CE and the superior steelbook.

cackhyena

Jax said:

[/LIST]
No way, I loved that.

Raonak

Banned
Jax said:
Am I missing something or is the co-op horde mode missing in UC3?

It's called co-op arena i think.

And since you guys are talking about the wall touching- I found it jarring when I was playing [/spoiler]as kid nate in the mueseam[/spoiler]. since you couldn't run, and he was rubbing his hands all over the walls.

But it's really cool when hes running and touching walls. looks really believeable. Like hes using the wall for balance, or to push off it when you run into one. and when you walk through a doorway.

they just need to tone it down when walking- as thats when it looks out of place.

jax (old)

Banned
klee123 said:
Well, after seeing the videos and the negative impressions with the aiming so far. I'm really glad that I'm not getting the game until next week at least.

there's no ETA on the patch though. or is there. I'm going to play crushing only when its patched.

Its a real pity this comes so late - the SP and the first time you experience the campaign is what shaped your appreciation with the UC games but this time; man, terrible shooting? I still can't get over it. What the hell were they thinking? Totally tarnished the brand.

Niblet said:
Dear god, what is the best strategy for dealing with the heavily armored guys in co-op adventure and arena? Specifically on harder difficulties. My favorite way to play co-op is using run and gun shottie. The shotgun is worthless against them. I have to use a automatic rifle, but they take so many damn shots and they're so powerful, especially the ones with the LMG and of course they're accompanied by grabbers and snipers.

I don't understand how even on Easy, they have to make the co-op missions so fucking difficult as to be frustrating. Especially the last couple waves. Isnt the damn point of 'easy' to make something fun for someone who cant invest all their time into the fucking game? I mean, I beat the game already and think I'm pretty good, but me and and a friend have a bitch of a time getting through the co-op adventure, even on easy. The armored guys are so infuriatingly hard to kill, taking like a billion shots. Meanwhile, you get downed with a single blast. Whats the point?

jax (old)

Banned
Raonak said:
It's called co-op arena i think.

co-op arena isn't like the ones from UC2. its actually Siege mode with gameplay modes built in:

• carry idol
  • kill in area to score
  • survive.

quite surprised there's no straight out horde mode.

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
I don't understand how even on Easy, they have to make the co-op missions so fucking difficult as to be frustrating. Especially the last couple waves. Isnt the damn point of 'easy' to make something fun for someone who cant invest all their time into the fucking game? I mean, I beat the game already and think I'm pretty good, but me and and a friend have a bitch of a time getting through the co-op adventure, even on easy. The armored guys are so infuriatingly hard to kill, taking like a billion shots. Meanwhile, you get downed with a single blast. Whats the point?

that's why you its co-op. They're not that hard to kill with 3 players shooting the 1 guy. I've played 4 of the chapters on hard and finished it. And that was with friendly fire active. You should preferbly play with the headset. If you think that's hard; wait til you get to the special bosses. ;)

cackhyena

Jax said:
there's no ETA on the patch though. or is there. I'm going to play crushing only when its patched.

Its a real pity this comes so late - the SP and the first time you experience the campaign is what shaped your appreciation with the UC games but this time; man, terrible shooting? I still can't get over it. What the hell were they thinking? Totally tarnished the brand.
Nah, it's a letdown, but I still loved this game. I got used to the controls, but I do want the old ones back. I'm waiting on Crushing till it comes as well.

Now since we are all being bitches in here, I gotta say. the title screen throws me off every time I go to it. It's so bland and static. Just a straight horizontal view of a gun in sand...I mean, they could have at least cocked the angle of it. Just throws me every time. I'm an illustrator, so the picks i nit are many when it comes to those things.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jax said:

Overreaction total.

Jax said:

FdmIn.gif

Raonak

Banned
BannedEpisode said:
My game is telling me I need to purchase an online pass to play online..

wtf? I redeemed my code last tuesday and Im level 30.

hmm. weird. try redownload from the ps store if it still doesn't work.

Loudninja

Jax said:

This is just plain silly.

JohngPR

I find it funny how Uncharted 2 has all of a sudden become so great at shooting now just so people can make the comparison of how much they don't like Uncharted 3's.

It's not THAT different people. There's definitely a difference but it's crazy how many of you have taken the mob mentality as far as bagging the game for it.

Anywho, as far as the MP is concerned. I'm glad that they added the ability for a second player to log into their account!! It was sorely missing from the Subway beta and I'm glad they added it back in!

mrklaw said:
Perhaps they are god-tier for reacting to negative comments regarding aiming quickly and positively? And they aren't adding motion blur, they're putting it back in

Putting it back in? What does that even mean? Why wasn't it included in the retail copy? It disturbs that that they decided to ship it without a major visual effect that they decided to apply later with a patch- and people here are cool with this and encourage this behavior. What was the reason MB wasn't included?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So absolutely no ETA on the motion blur/aim patch?

My Samsung UN55D8000 will be here on the 14th and I was going to order Uncharted 3 as my first game on it in 3D. I would wait for the patch though if it was somewhat imminent...

The Lamp said:
The
ship graveyard
and beyond is where the game's pacing, level design, and setpieces start to take off and shine. Granted, your problems with the melee and combat persist throughout the game, but the game gets better. This one starts off rather slow compared to UC2.

I'd never played Arkham Asylum/City and I played U3 first, and liked the melee, although I got bored with it by the end of the game. Just now played Arkham City and I'm blown away by how good that game's combat system is and how bad U3's is in comparison lol but I guess U3 wasn't trying to be like Batman, it was just trying to add a bit more depth to U2's light melee system. Which they did, but they overemphasized it this time around, as if they were too proud of it.

I'd have to agree that campaign-wise, U2 is better.

Is the combat system in Batman substantially different...?

Thinking of picking up that game, but although I enjoyed the first one, it got a little tedious by the end.. combat looked and played fluently, but got pretty damn easy by the end...really wasnt that strategic

jax (old)

Banned
Kagari said:
Overreaction total.

that's your opinion but while I enjoy the MP game; I do think that it has. It went from grade A prime beef to.. yeah, whatever it is now. Go find my posts in the UC2 thread; i thought it was amazing. This; good not great.

too many niggles. animation. shooting. story. modelling/faces. characterisation etc.

Jax said:
that's your opinion but while I enjoy the MP game; I do think that it has. It went from grade A prime beef to.. yeah, whatever it is now. Go find my posts in the UC2 thread; i thought it was amazing. This; good not great.

too many niggles. animation. shooting. story. modelling/faces. characterisation etc.

Oh my word.

Thrakier

Man, they really nailed the gunplay in Coop and MP. Every weapon is fucking satisfying to shoot, the recoil is just right, it's just fun to shoot stuff. The next guy who claims UC isn't a competent shooter game deserves a kick in the nuts from Elena.

cackhyena

Jax said:

What the fuck are you on?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jax said:
Talk about massively overreacting. The amount of people whose impression of a game would change so much based on this, is a fragment of those of us who are bothered by it in the first place, and we are just a small fragment of people who are playing it.

Just hit
the sandstorm
. Now the pacing's all out of the whack in the other direction, too much shooting with not enough to break things up.
The ship graveyard was exciting and fun but after we get through that we immediately go to the airport and have to engage in even more gunfights
. I don't get it, it seems like ND just lost the plot in how wonderful UC2's balance was between action and downtime throughout most of the game. They need to play Nepal to the Monastery over and over again next time and just do that.

jax (old)

Banned
Thrakier said:
Man, they really nailed the gunplay in Coop and MP. Every weapon is fucking satisfying to shoot, the recoil is just right, it's just fun to shoot stuff. The next guy who claims UC isn't a competent shooter game deserves a kick in the nuts from Elena.

I actually had more fun in the MP game than just straight SP. Its a lot better all around and amazing fun.

im amused at the reaction to my comment about the tarnished brand. I certainly think UC3 has. Plus the fact that you go to the MP game and they locked away all this content to the store because they got greedy?

I'm certainly not impreesed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jax said:

I'm playing through on Hard now and the aiming is really not bad at all. I'll be waiting to do Crushing with the patch but I doubt it'll make much of a difference now that I'm used to it. I'm more excited about motion blur getting fixed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Raonak said:
whoa? theres gonna be a patch?

whats it gonna have?
First patch is going to have the aiming fix and possibly a fix for motion blur. If the MB fix isn't in that one it'll come later but that's confirmed to be fixed at some point. They're also looking into patching in a cutscene viewer down the line.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jax said:

Looking at reactions outside of gaf and in the real world, that's definitely not the case. The brand is fine. There's always going to be people who don't like the highest of praised games, but just because you personally didn't like UC3 as much doesn't mean the entire brand is "tarnished." Again, maybe to you, but on the whole, probably not. Even looking at the majority of posts here, they're largely positive. ND has already said they're working on a patch, so perhaps you should wait for that before you continue.

Personally, I think you're... well, nitpicking too much, is a good word for it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
JohngPR said:
I find it funny how Uncharted 2 has all of a sudden become so great at shooting now just so people can make the comparison of how much they don't like Uncharted 3's.

It's not THAT different people. There's definitely a difference but it's crazy how many of you have taken the mob mentality as far as bagging the game for it.

Anywho, as far as the MP is concerned. I'm glad that they added the ability for a second player to log into their account!! It was sorely missing from the Subway beta and I'm glad they added it back in!

The fact that many people have the same complaint is not itself evidence that "mob mentality" is the cause. You'll have to try another way to invalidate others' opinions.

The brand isn't tarnished, that's a HUGE overstatement. I do think U3 was a step back in numerous areas though, but at this point I'm starting to believe they did it on purpose just so they had something to improve. That's really the only reasoning that makes sense to me.

taoofjord

I'm so confused and weirded out. As much as I hate to say it, I'm just not enjoying Uncharted 3. This is coming from someone who thinks Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest games of all time. I don't enjoy the combat, the game feels unpolished in quite a few places, the cool tricks and creative choices from Uncharted 1 and 2 are used again and feel tired. The graphics have failed to impress me all that much (thanks to a really odd AF issues and the game being so freaking dark and high contrast). I'm so disappointed and... sad. I'd have never believed that I would flat out not find U3 fun.

jax (old)

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
The fact that many people have the same complaint is not itself evidence that "mob mentality" is the cause. You'll have to try another way to invalidate others' opinions.

if anything; it empirical evidence. The fact that ND is going to patch it is a great thing. But it shouldn't have shipped with the ghetto aiming.

@ kagari if you want to talk about critical posts - go look at the papercuts review a few pages back. While I don't agree with a lot of it; its severely critical and all valid. This is UC3; the sequel to one of the best games I've ever played and it does so many things wrong that I'm disappointed and underwhelmed by the SP campaign.

Net_Wrecker said:
The brand isn't tarnished, that's a HUGE overstatement. I do think U3 was a step back in numerous areas though, but at this point I'm starting to believe they did it on purpose just so they had something to improve. That's really the only reasoning that makes sense to me.

lol!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Net_Wrecker said:

I agree that UC2 was so good that a lot of the changes in UC3 feel like steps sideways rather than forward. Some people like it better, some people like it worse and there's no overwhelming consensus about which is better, unlike with UC1 and UC2 where majority opinion seems clearly on the side of UC2.

Top Bottom