• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Mikey Jr.

been neglecting my MP game since patch but go the full 250 levels! I expect level 100 *aka 250 will take awhile.

Honestly, my setup right now is

Booster 1: Negative Kickback (less sprint) 100% extra cash for kills.
Booster 2: Deposit Level 3
Kickback: Cash 'em in.

FAL-SS with reload mod.

On average, I gain about 3/5th's of a level in one game which is about 23k cash. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Robot Pants

Wow, Chapters 12-14 are clearly the low point in the whole Uncharted series. What a terrible segment of the game, location, and general enemy bullshit. I'm really finding this game hard for me to complete once, let alone come back and platinum. It's highly likely I'll shelve this should I ever complete the game, and never look back.

Hopefully ND is looking to a new IP for PS4.

Some of my favorite chapters in the game. :) I really enjoy gunplay in Uncharted, but it does take some time to get used to.

Yep. Some of my favorite chapters, too. Loved all of it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I can't believe that people can not like them. That section has the best and most open ended fights in the entire game. In fact, it is my favorite part of the game.

Seriously. I mean, it's not my favorite part of the game, but it's definitely great.

In fact, I don't get the hate this game gets. It's Uncharted 2, but with better setpieces, fun melee combat and matured characters. It's freaking awesome.

jett

D-Member
I can't believe that people can not like them. That section has the best and most open ended fights in the entire game. So many options, and as well as one of the largest arenas in the series. In fact, it is my favorite part of the game.

Agreed 100%, pretty much the best shootouts in the entire series.

nib95

Banned
I can't believe that people can not like them. That section has the best and most open ended fights in the entire game. So many options, and as well as one of the largest arenas in the series. In fact, it is my favorite part of the game.

Agreed. One of my fave gun battles and segments in the game too. Really dynamic with a shit tonne of tactical options.

jackdoe

Quick question. So can you stealth all those hard areas 100% and not deal with a clusterfuck of enemies? Or is there always a trigger after you stealth an initial group of enemies? I ask, because there always seemed to be one or two enemies grouped together which made it seem impossible not to get an alert.

Quick question. So can you stealth all those hard areas 100% and not deal with a clusterfuck of enemies? Or is there always a trigger after you stealth an initial group of enemies? I ask, because there always seemed to be one or two enemies grouped together which made it seem impossible not to get an alert.

Some of the hard areas you can completely stealth, unless the scenario starts with an alert, there are a couple of sections in
Syria
that you can stealth.

Ricky_R

Yeap... It's definitely the biggest and the most dynamic.
You can tackle that area in so many ways and from so many areas. You can stealth, you can swim, you can run, you can dive, you can climb, you can jump between platforms and boats. All this with amazing looking water and everything there reacting to its movement.
Pretty impressive.

It definitely fits the "best action moment" of the Uncharted series.

jett

D-Member

Some areas are completely stealthable, some are mostly until the very end, and others not at all.

jax (old)

Banned
Wow, Chapters 12-14 are clearly the low point in the whole Uncharted series. What a terrible segment of the game, location, and general enemy bullshit. I'm really finding this game hard for me to complete once, let alone come back and platinum. It's highly likely I'll shelve this should I ever complete the game, and never look back.

The worst post in this thread.

Best part of the game.

grrrrrrrrr I want doughnut drake so bad haha, every time i play that co-op mission on hard or crushing the people i play with get wrecked in the church with that huge guy with the machine gun

EloquentM

aka Mannny

"D is for Dumbass, M is for Makes terrible posts, J is for JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY "

Hahahahahaha

K.Sabot

Played and finished it today and man...

that story was so god damn bad.

drunken mini-rant incoming
They definitely pulled all the drama out of the last couple chapters of the game. Marlowe just up and dies, Talbot just up and dies. Sully dies and I feel something finally, then he doesn't.
Marlowe wants to raise some brass thing from the water for dubious reasons, and we won't know what because Drake wants to skip the next 2 chapters that probably should have been in the game and instead blows the whole place up with a grenade.

Zomba13

So this arrived on Monday and I played the whole single player right through in one sitting. It wasn't until the ship did I realise how long I had been playing (checked the trophy thing and noticed the time on the XMB). I decided as I'd played for that long to finish the game.

I think the worst part was the ship
graveyard
. My first time through it wasn't bad and then when I got near where I had to get to I was killed and when I re-spawned was somewhere I had never been and pretty much got surrounded almost instantly leading to many deaths.

Really, really enjoyed the game though. I'd totally watch a movie(or series)/play a game with lil Drake and young Sully. Like Sully teaching Drake the ropes and them having a cool little adventure together where they learn to trust each other and depend on each other etc etc.

I very recently finished 12 on Normal. No strong opinions on it. I was a bit confused as to what was going on -- there was A LOT of gunfire coming from EVERYWHERE -- but went with it. Got the job done.

It certainly was nowhere near the heights of Uncharted 2 (i.e., Nepal), but as giant arena fights go it was definitely one of the better ones; lots of area to cover, many options/plans of attacks, a few special weapon pickups, etc. Should be a good challenge on Hard.

And already the defenders come from the woodworks. Don't bother criticizing anything post Chapter 11 as it seems like some sort of holy grail in this thread. I don't know if I'd classify the whole of 12-14 as the low point of the series, but there are more than a few firefights in the 2nd half of the game that made me think exactly like that.

Brazil

And already the defenders come from the woodworks. Don't bother criticizing anything post Chapter 11 as it seems like some sort of holy grail in this thread. I don't know if I'd classify the whole of 12-14 as the low point of the series, but there are more than a few firefights in the 2nd half of the game that made me think exactly like that.

If you can classify us as "defenders", we can classify you as haters. And you know what they say about haters.

Hanmik

Are anyone else having problems with multiplayer and Co-op online games.??

I tried to play some coop adventure games yesterday. It took forever to find some games, and when we finaly started a game we expirienced disconnects all the time. I could not finish a single game. tried 10 different game sessions, but people got disconnected all the time.
I tried some normal multiplayer games, but the same happened. Took forever to find a game and disconnects all the time..

did someone else have problems yesterday..?

btw. I´m situated in Europe, and have not had these problems before.. all other games worked fine..

If you can classify us as "defenders", we can classify you as haters. And you know what they say about haters.

Not a hater, just disappointed. Come to think of it, more and more I feel like the campaign is my disappointment of the year. But if loving the first half and having huge issues with the combat in the 2nd half makes me a hater, so be it. I just find it incredibly annoying that every time someone criticizes the game it's because they suck, or have bad taste, or aren't playing in this one very specific way that always involves getting to the Hammer or RPG. I completely understand that some of you guys loved the combat, but there's clearly another group that feels differently, and their opinions are just as valid...especially because combat was total amateur hour post-Chateau.

IMO

baekshi

Banned
Are anyone else having problems with multiplayer and Co-op online games.??

I tried to play some coop adventure games yesterday. It took forever to find some games, and when we finaly started a game we expirienced disconnects all the time. I could not finish a single game. tried 10 different game sessions, but people got disconnected all the time.
I tried some normal multiplayer games, but the same happened. Took forever to find a game and disconnects all the time..

did someone else have problems yesterday..?

btw. I´m situated in Europe, and have not had these problems before.. all other games worked fine..

No problems.If it takes forever(1min :lol), back out of matchmaking and try finding it again.This is what I do Hunter Co-OP, all other modes I can easily connect faster...takes seconds for people to show up.

Hanmik

No problems.If it takes forever(1min :lol), back out of matchmaking and try finding it again.This is what I do Hunter Co-OP, all other modes I can easily connect faster...takes seconds for people to show up.

that is also what I normally expirience.. but not last night. I backed out, restarted the game, restarted the PS3 etc. nothing helped...

I could see there was problems because the Uncharted Cinema player was also Lagging and timing out..

nib95

Banned
Yeap... It's definitely the biggest and the most dynamic.
You can tackle that area in so many ways and from so many areas. You can stealth, you can swim, you can run, you can dive, you can climb, you can jump between platforms and boats. All this with amazing looking water and everything there reacting to its movement.
Pretty impressive.

It definitely fits the "best action moment" of the Uncharted series.

It's interesting that this particular segment has divided some people. The ironic thing is, it's one of the most diverse, tactically varied and dynamic segments of the game, yet people can't handle it. People complain about the game being too linear, yet when they're given true freedom it ends in blunder. I find it quite amusing to tell the truth.

Brazil

Not a hater, just disappointed. Come to think of it, more and more I feel like the campaign is my disappointment of the year. But if loving the first half and having huge issues with the combat in the 2nd half makes me a hater, so be it. I just find it incredibly annoying that every time someone criticizes the game it's because they suck, or have bad taste, or aren't playing in this one very specific way that always involves getting to the Hammer or RPG. I completely understand that some of you guys loved the combat, but there's clearly another group that feels differently, and their opinions are just as valid...especially because combat was total amateur hour post-Chateau.

IMO

Of course simply not liking something doesn't make you a hater. But liking the same thing doesn't make us fanboys either or whatever you meant with that first post of yours. I mean, there were some really stupid replies by some in reaction to DMeisterJ's post, but we usually just ignore those.

What is it that made you feel disappointed with the combat? Honestly, I really enjoyed it. In fact, I felt the shooting sequences in the second half of the game were some of the best from the last few years. They seemed straight out of Vanquish, taking place in big, open areas. And you didn't always had to go for the Hammer or the RPG. There were all kinds of weapons spread all over...

I think Uncharted 3 has some serious problems that weren't in the other two games, but I never felt that combat was one of them. People hating on some of the ship graveyard fights just blows my mind. The sheer breadth of options you have in the floating shipwreck battle made it one of my favourite moments in the whole series; I loved diving down and surfacing somewhere else and having the enemies lose track of me completely so I could pop off a couple of headshots before disappearing again. It reminded me of the snowstorm fight in Uncharted 2.

I think the best thing about Uncharted gunfights is that they encourage experimentation. There was one fight in Syria where I holed up in a half-destroyed tower, shooting out of the windows and pushing everyone who tried to climb up at me off the ledge to their deaths. I had no idea there was even a big gunfight at the Airport because I stealthed all the way through that section on my first time through. In any given fight you usually have dudes shooting at you from multiple angles and a few who are charging around to flank you, and I love that about the series. You have to stay on your toes because when you don't you end up noticing a guy too late and having to make a mad dash for the next piece of cover while firing blindly behind you to give you some breathing room. Those moments are what I love about Uncharted, and it feels like U3's gunfights are designed to keep you on the move that way.

I think U3 does a way better job of that kind of thing than U2 did, too. I feel like a lot of the fights in U2 boil down to finding the best strategy to get through an area, especially on Crushing and especially when the mutant chaingun guys who need three RPG shots each start appearing. There's one cramped little area late in U2 with two of those guys and at least one regular armoured guy that is just hell every time. I'm playing through U3 on Crushing now and there's nothing like that. Basic armoured guys go down in a few headshots and a grenade dropped on their toes, and even the biggest armoured guys with the PAK-80s will succumb to a grenade or three. And the new grenade throwback system changes things so much for the better. I don't consider myself particularly good at these games but I've never had to resort to the kind of 'get the Hammer immediately' strategies I'm seeing around here. I stuck with the Para 9 and an assault rifle about 99% of the time, only looking for RPGs when the game specifically told me to.

The ship graveyard was utterly fantastic. Easily the best combat moment in the series for mine, and should be the staple example for designing combat scenarios (in fact any scenarios) going forward. There were dozens of ways to approach this scene thats what made it so good. The whole franchise needs that level of sandbox fun

nib95

Banned
I think the reason so many struggled with that section is because they're too used to the ordinary confines of cookie cutter cover mechanic gameplay design. Which is to seek sanctuary in the safety of one particular spot and slowly pick off enemies one by one. Many segments in UC3 just don't allow for this, or at the very least punish you for it with AI that realises it's best bet in killing you is to flank, even if along the way they're susceptible to being shot.

I'm glad they did this as it forces a more dynamic and intelligent approach to the gun battles and rewards the player for tactical creativity.

What is it that made you feel disappointed with the combat? Honestly, I really enjoyed it. In fact, I felt the shooting sequences in the second half of the game were some of the best from the last few years. They seemed straight out of Vanquish, taking place in big, open areas. And you didn't always had to go for the Hammer or the RPG. There were all kinds of weapons spread all over...

Basically I hated most of the combat during and after
the shipyard.
A combination of bad enemy hit reactions, stiff aiming (which has since been fixed), terrible stealth with hilarious Call of Duty monster closets upon detection, enemy placement which just serves to annoy players, endless amounts of armored guys, rushers who eat 2-3 bullets before reacting to them, and the whole "throw everything at the player in a wide open (or not) space so instead of actually designing combat, we just can just work on these totally radical set pieces" design ensured that I was NEVER having as much fun as I did with U2. Has nothing to do with difficulty, or blundering because of a "wealth of options," or because I wasn't moving, or whatever else. The shootouts in
the shipyard, the desert waves before the horseback stuff, the sandstorm shooutout, and pretty much all the combat in 21 and 22
were awful to me. It simply was not fun shooting anything which is something I didn't feel for the vast majority of U2.

If they consider THIS as the pinnacle of Uncharted combat design, I'm being very cautious with Uncharted 4.

CatPee

The only combat section that I really didn't like was the
sandstorm shootout
. Otherwise, I enjoyed the shootouts and didn't have too much trouble with the aiming. Looking forward to getting my copy back from a friend and doing my Crushing run.

I think the reason so many struggled with that section is because they're too used to the ordinary confines of cookie cutter cover mechanic gameplay design. Which is to seek sanctuary in the safety of one particular spot and slowly pick off enemies one by one. Many segments in UC3 just don't allow for this, or at the very least punish you for it with AI that realises it's best bet in killing you is to flank, even if along the way they're susceptible to being shot.

I'm glad they did this as it forces a more dynamic and intelligent approach to the gun battles and rewards the player for tactical creativity.
It's funny because a lot of these people prefered 2 which stripped away that dynamic, flanking AI, and made the game's shooting segments easier compared to 1's. Guess we can tell the boys from men.

UDF was hard. I mean, now I know where the enemies spawn from, the layout and weapon placement after several playthroughs so it's ok now... but it was brutal back when and 2 was a cakewalk. I'm glad I'm forced out of cover in 3. People staying on ground in that section or in one spot enough to get killed so many times that they get frustrated surely aren't playing right.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
man uncharted 1 encounter design was so good each arena was like puzzle and you had to figure out what you should do to stay alive

UDF was hard. I mean, now I know where the enemies spawn from, the layout and weapon placement after several playthroughs so it's ok now... but it was brutal back when and 2 was a cakewalk.

I feel like Uncharted 1 was too hard. Some of those fights, like the underground cistern early on, were nightmares; I still remember how frustrated I was in my Crushing run. Yet at the same time there were already the hints of the great open area combat sections. I had an amazing moment in the spooky Library Courtyard (the first time through that area) where I was just teetering on the verge of death for about a full minute, but I was keeping juuuust ahead of the enemies with my shotgun blindfire.

I definitely feel like Uncharted 2 had a lot more of the 'hide behind the first bit of cover you find and then shoot dudes in one direction for ten minutes' fights that Gears popularized, whereas Uncharted 3 is a return to the open plan areas I like so much. Although I definitely agree that the
sandstorm fight
is the worst battle in the game.
Enemies can see you when you can't see them, and forcing you to find the two RPGs hidden in the level to take out the mounted turrets (that now fire continuously instead of breaking every few seconds so you can move) sucked. The snowstorm fight in U2 was a similar concept but done much better.

nib95

Banned
I agree about the sandstorm gun battle. Really the only weak combat segment of the game. Well, not so much weak as flawed, namely because the enemies could see you through the sandstorm when you couldn't see them. Broke the flow of combat and diminished the level of creativity or foresight allowed by some of the other segments.

ZeroRay

I feel like Uncharted 1 was too hard. Some of those fights, like the underground cistern early on, were nightmares; I still remember how frustrated I was in my Crushing run. Yet at the same time there were already the hints of the great open area combat sections. I had an amazing moment in the spooky Library Courtyard (the first time through that area) where I was just teetering on the verge of death for about a full minute, but I was keeping juuuust ahead of the enemies with my shotgun blindfire.

I definitely feel like Uncharted 2 had a lot more of the 'hide behind the first bit of cover you find and then shoot dudes in one direction for ten minutes' fights that Gears popularized, whereas Uncharted 3 is a return to the open plan areas I like so much. Although I definitely agree that the
sandstorm fight
is the worst battle in the game.
Enemies can see you when you can't see them, and forcing you to find the two RPGs hidden in the level to take out the mounted turrets (that now fire continuously instead of breaking every few seconds so you can move) sucked. The snowstorm fight in U2 was a similar concept but done much better.

The
snowstorm fight
in UC2 is pretty much the peak of Uncharted combat and probably my favorite TPS battle.

jax (old)

Banned

that's because you played it when the controls were
broken*ahem* fuck you too
. I definitely had very little favourable things to say about ALL the combat scenarios in the game til the patch came through and its a fun game again!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Elena just looks a bit too weird now. Which is odd because she looked fine in the E3 builds. Marlowe too now looks a bit too young compared to the initial showing. I don't know what they did, but somebody should have slapped the character modelling staff's hands away from the workstations earlier in the year.

If Naughty Dog had some specific staff leave after U2, if anyone knows, they need to get them back. U3 is way too much of a drop in quality from the last. Whether that be from loss of level-design talent or a rush to complete it in the timeframe they did, I dunno.

Playing through on hard because thats what I normally do otherwise I just blast through shit like butter, and the amount of cheap shot RPG from nowhere insta-deaths is just absurd. Combat scenarios are frequently clumsy, unsatisfying and poorly planned. Often just rooms full of mooks, bullet sponges advancing on you and some douchebags taking pot shots at you insta-spawning after the first wave, and of course out of sight.

Set pieces are great, but theres too much stuff where you can see what they were trying to achieve but falling way short of the mark.

The entire lost in the desert sequence with its constant whiting out and cutaways fucking squandered the potential that couldve had, interactive story-telling wise.

jax (old)

Banned
Basically I hated most of the combat during and after
the shipyard.
A combination of bad enemy hit reactions, stiff aiming (which has since been fixed), terrible stealth with hilarious Call of Duty monster closets upon detection, enemy placement which just serves to annoy players, endless amounts of armored guys, rushers who eat 2-3 bullets before reacting to them, and the whole "throw everything at the player in a wide open (or not) space so instead of actually designing combat, we just can just work on these totally radical set pieces" design ensured that I was NEVER having as much fun as I did with U2. Has nothing to do with difficulty, or blundering because of a "wealth of options," or because I wasn't moving, or whatever else. The shootouts in
the shipyard, the desert waves before the horseback stuff, the sandstorm shooutout, and pretty much all the combat in 21 and 22
were awful to me. It simply was not fun shooting anything which is something I didn't feel for the vast majority of U2.

If they consider THIS as the pinnacle of Uncharted combat design, I'm being very cautious with Uncharted 4.

the spectacle of what was happening in Chapter 12-14 was great but it wasn't a set piece like how the train+helicopter+tank levels were in 2. You basically still played the game the same way, you climb, you take cover, you shoot - there wasn't really anything in the environment that I would class a set piece. Sure the scope of what they presented was grand and OMFGish, but that's NOT a setpiece.

the setpieces in U3 are:

chateau fire + collpasing ubar + plane + escaping the flood waters+spiders+talbot chase

Massa

The problem is that there are sections of Uncharted 3 that require you to sit your ass behind cover, if you don't you'll die immediately. Figuring out which is which requires trial and error.

Patapwn

These criticisms about the game being filled with rooms and rooms of cheap encounters is complete hyperbole. The truth is that shit like the 3 jeep turret bullshit and rpg-a-thons make up but a few 'rooms' in the game. I just finished with my second playthough an hour ago and this is absolutely the case. The vast majority of fights are in the vain of past uncharted games so if you liked those there's really no reason to say 'huge quality drop' aside from you raging with a selective memory.

the spectacle of what was happening in Chapter 12-14 was great but it wasn't a set piece like how the train+helicopter+tank levels were in 2. You basically still played the game the same way, you climb, you take cover, you shoot - there wasn't really anything in the environment that I would class a set piece. Sure the scope of what they presented was grand and OMFGish, but that's NOT a setpiece.

the setpieces in U3 are:

chateau fire + collpasing ubar + plane + escaping the flood waters+spiders+talbot chase

Maybe "set piece" is the wrong term, but it seems painfully obvious to me that between water physics, sand animation, the entire plane set piece, and whatever other technically impossible feats they made possible that they completely neglected making the core combat as well designed it was in Uncharted 2. You commented on the aiming being fixed, but that was far from the only issue I had, and that patch alone can't save the game in my eyes. There would have to a be a total shift in how enemies react to bullets, how enemies are thrown at the player, and how combat scenarios are presented to the player for this to get any higher than a 7 out of 10 from me (strictly talking about the campaign score).

Hanmik

Only problem I had with SP in UC3, is the button configuration.... triangle to pick up ammo and weapons. That led to some crazy firefights on Crushing, where I picked up a gun instead of ammo and treasures..
Also press O to melee. Often Nathan decided to take cover instead..

but I liked tha game and Platinumed it last week..

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
These criticisms about the game being filled with rooms and rooms of cheap encounters is complete hyperbole. The truth is that shit like the 3 jeep turret bullshit and rpg-a-thons make up but a few 'rooms' in the game. I just finished with my second playthough an hour ago and this is absolutely the case. The vast majority of fights are in the vain of past uncharted games so if you liked those there's really no reason to say 'huge quality drop' aside from you raging with a selective memory.

yes, despite absolutely loving U1 and U2 I am using my 'selective memory' to not enjoy Uncharted 3 to the same extent. That must be it.

Patapwn

yes, despite absolutely loving U1 and U2 I am using my 'selective memory' to not enjoy Uncharted 3 to the same extent. That must be it.
Oh looky here, a snarky post! I really don't know why you didn't love U3 like me but that's not what I have issue with nor was it the contents of my post.

Top Bottom