• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

jax (old)

Banned
I never got the idea that just because these games are both in third person they need to sell comparatively.

just sayin. both exlusives. booth 3rd person shooters.

one however was goty.
UC3 releases and gets blackfriday sales to boot and don't break a million.

I think its disappointing.

jackdoe

one however was goty.

Gears of War 3 had the right thinking, releasing in September. I really devoted a lot of my time to that game since no other big blockbusters came out that month, to the best of my memory. Uncharted 3 launched in a month where one large title released every single week drawing attention away from it.

jett

D-Member

one however was goty.

Well, the 360 userbase exceeds the PS3's by 14 million in America, and quite simply Uncharted is just not the powerhouse brand that Gears of War is.

700k is really good.

jax (old)

Banned
Well, the 360 userbase exceeds the PS3's by 14 million in America, .

really??

Gears of War 3 had the right thinking, releasing in September. I really devoted a lot of my time to that game since no other big blockbusters came out that month, to the best of my memory. Uncharted 3 launched in a month where one large title released every single week drawing attention away from it.

my thinking as well.

KingK

I'm pretty disappointed in the media's dismissal of UC3's multiplayer. I was watching the Bonus Round on GT about UC3 and they just dismissed it as not being any good in like 10 seconds and then never talked about it again. I have no idea what kind of expectations they have, but the multiplayer in Uncharted is my favorite of any franchise. It's great.

jett

D-Member
I'm pretty disappointed in the media's dismissal of UC3's multiplayer. I was watching the Bonus Round on GT about UC3 and they just dismissed it as not being any good in like 10 seconds and then never talked about it again. I have no idea what kind of expectations they have, but the multiplayer in Uncharted is my favorite of any franchise. It's great.

They don't have an opinion on it because they don't play it. It's funny seeing Jeff saying co-op was great and competitive was not, when he has not played UC3 at all.

Not the biggest fan of U2s MP but U3s is more fun than BF3 and COD by a large margin imo. Although my biggest gripe with BF is the maps, but even U3s arent spectacular, yet its so fun.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
02. Gears of War 3 (360)** Microsoft (Corp) - Over 2 Million

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448456

I'd say: comparatively.

no Blackfriday. etc. UC3 = bomba.
Don't be ridiculous. Uncharted never sold comparably to Gears in USA, and it practically doesn't have a chance to, given both its theme and the numbers of userbase it can sell to in USA. The series is selling better and better with each instalment however, and given its global sales it's as far from the 'bomba' as it can possibly be. In fact now that I think about it, this is probably Sony's best selling game in the USA as well, when it comes to first month sales at least. I don't think either GT5, GoW3, KZ2 or KZ3 sold this much in their first month's NPD.

jett

D-Member
Don't be ridiculous. Uncharted never sold comparably to Gears in USA, and it practically doesn't have a chance to, given both its theme and the numbers of userbase it can sell to in USA. The series is selling better and better with each instalment however, and given its global sales it's as far from the 'bomba' as it can possibly be. In fact now that I think about it, this is probably Sony's best selling game in the USA as well, when it comes to first month sales at least. I don't think either GT5, GoW3, KZ2 or KZ3 sold this much in their first month's NPD.

God of War 3 solid like 1.1 million units, but UC3 is good enough for second place. Uncharted could've been a blockbuster powerhouse franchise in an alternate universe, but the PS3's initial price points pretty much fucked over all ps3-only devs. :p

do we REALLY need gears vs uncharted sales wars in this thread?

Both games did good.

Lets be happy.

Also U3 Multiplayer is great. I think I like it more then BF3's online.
The Meta game is just so damn deep in It. You unlock stuff by leveling, by doing missions, by finding treasures, different unlocks only unlock in different modes.

All the maps are different and not just random destroyed cities and towns.

I do like the BF2 map pack in BF3 though. Gulf of Oman is the shit..

patsu

I play co-op adventure exclusively. I usually dislike kickbacks but I think they are good for Hard and Crushing co-ops.

Mikey Jr.

700k is great, the fuck you guys talking about.

However, U3 multi for some reason is not being taken seriously which really fucking sucks. I have no idea why people ignore it. When I read people's reviews of the game, it always talks about single-player, which is great, but MP gets almost ignored.

When people talk about Call of Duty, they talk about the multiplayer, and very little about the singleplayer.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Two quick questions:

1) Is it recommended to play this game in 720p or 1080p?

2) What are the optimal PS3 display settings one should use (the RGB full range crap and all that)?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
700k is great, the fuck you guys talking about.

However, U3 multi for some reason is not being taken seriously which really fucking sucks. I have no idea why people ignore it. When I read people's reviews of the game, it always talks about single-player, which is great, but MP gets almost ignored.

When people talk about Call of Duty, they talk about the multiplayer, and very little about the singleplayer.
Maybe because the first game didn't have a MP component? I read a lot of reviews that praised the MP component of UC2 and 3, so it's not like no one is taking it seriously. It's just that the series is known for its singleplayer mostly.

Two quick questions:

1) Is it recommended to play this game in 720p or 1080p?

2) What are the optimal PS3 display settings one should use (the RGB full range crap and all that)?

It doesn't matter really, but yeah stick close to the native res i.e 720p. Also for enabling RGB full range, you need a TV that supports it, or there will be a black crush.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I think that's what I'm experiencing right now. There are some dark fucking areas in the game, and a high amount of glowing around the faces. It's really weird. But to make absolutely sure that this is the problem, how do I know if my TV (Samsung HLT5687SX 56" DLP HDTV) supports full range RGB?

And I was wondering, in general, what are the recommended PS3 display settings?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think that's what I'm experiencing right now. There are some dark fucking areas in the game, and a high amount of glowing around the faces. It's really weird. But to make absolutely sure that this is the problem, how do I know if my TV (Samsung HLT5687SX 56" DLP HDTV) supports full range RGB?

And I was wondering, in general, what are the recommended PS3 display settings?
Take any game that shows that screen *logo test* and adjust it based on that. I think your TV supports full RGB, so you just need to increase your brightness level. If it doesn't then set it to limited RGB.

one however was goty.

Pretty sure that UC3 did much bigger numbers during its 1st month than Uncharted 2 (which is now sitting at over 5 million sold worldwide and growing)

360 games like Gears tend to be front-loaded and get the bulk of their total sales during launch. They get extravagant marketing blitzes and do massive numbers at launch but drop off significantly after the launch period. PS3 games usually tend to be slow-burners that don't have huge launches but sell slowly and steadily over time.

Uncharted 3 will break 6 million ww easily. It's just going to take a couple of years.

Steroyd

Well that was a fun ride, the
trolling
was sublime, had me going for a few times.

And an ending that didn't rely on supernatural stuff yay. \o/

RaijinFY

God of War 3 solid like 1.1 million units, but UC3 is good enough for second place. Uncharted could've been a blockbuster powerhouse franchise in an alternate universe, but the PS3's initial price points pretty much fucked over all ps3-only devs. :p

This.

So I just started playing and the shooting feels really messed up. Like even though they patched it, they made it so smaller adjustments on the joypad do essentially nothing compared to how they used to in UC1 and 2.

Is this just me?

JB1981

Doing a UC1 run through and the encounters are so good. I love this game's sense of place. The level design is amazing considering it's all one inter-connected island setting. And the pistol is so much better. Miss the Desert Eagle. M4 is awesome as well. Going to do a trilogy run through. Encounter design is better than UC3 and the game is much more of a shooter.

Steroyd

So I just started playing and the shooting feels really messed up. Like even though they patched it, they made it so smaller adjustments on the joypad do essentially nothing compared to how they used to in UC1 and 2.

Is this just me?

No, and the enemies also don't react to getting shot either or react less, which feels weird considering I quite liked that about Uncharted.

My Crushing run is going to be interesting to say the least.

Is this just me?

Have you set the alternate aiming option to on? Because the default aiming option after the patch is still the old one. Sorry if this is obvious to you, but some people were confused about this so i thought it warrants mentioning.

Just started playing this. Game looks awesome, even if a bit more jaggied then U2, probably the new lighting. But still, amazing. Feels good to finally be playing something else other then GT5.

rukland

Ok so I ended up with a European copy of this game with no online pass (friend lost it) if I buy the online pass from the US store will it work?

Have you set the alternate aiming option to on? Because the default aiming option after the patch is still the old one. Sorry if this is obvious to you, but some people were confused about this so i thought it warrants mentioning.

I didn't know which so I fooled around with both options coming away a bit disappointed that neither was the "classic" feel I expected.

Here's my rundown of the game.

Uncharted 3 was amazing in about every way to me. The graphics, sound, story, gameplay, characters, pacing, multiplayer all stand out as excellent. I really did love every moment of it.

Challenging, yet not too hard. Treasures are easily located and not frustrating to look for. Fun, fun, gameplay. Puzzles were pretty good and better than some in the past.

The length doesn't even bother me because I never felt bored or felt like they were artificially lengthening the game just to get that number up. I'd prefer more games to follow this formula to be honest. And maybe it was just such a breath of fresh air after playing SO MANY OPEN WORLD GAMES. I love the open world genre, but there are just so many these days that it can be very taxing, especially to a gamer that has a life (i.e. wife, kids, job, etc.).

If I were to have a nitpick, it would be just a couple of items.
1) the bugs. Yeah, there seemed to be a few strange bugs, that I even noticed again playing the same segments again after beating the game. Like the scene at the beginning when
young Drake steals the fruit from the table. More than once I saw the fruit just float to his mouth.
I think the game was a little rushed for the holiday season and they couldn't squash all of the bugs.
2) no bonus features. Sure we got a chapter replay and cutscene viewer, but that's it! The other games had so much more to offer after you finished the game. I had to go online to see behind the scenes videos, etc.
3)
No big boss fight finale. Naughty Dog needs to be really careful, IMO, listening to the critics. People always complained about the "supernatural" in their games. It seems that they listened to them with this game, and IMO it didn't really hurt the game all that much, but it did feel slightly incomplete. Listening to the critics can really hurt a game IMO, just look at MGS4 and how Kojima appeased the critics and totally screwed over the entire MGS franchise (IMO!).
4) Story wasn't as fleshed out as I would have hoped.
The background of Marlowe and Talbot wasn't really explained. Why could Talbot get shot and be okay? How could he disappear like he did? The journal mentioned a High Priestess and Magician, but it still wasn't explained. What organization were they working for? Why did they really want the artifact? If the water was hallucinogenic, did they know that ahead of time seeing how much they loved to use hallucinogens?

The game was fantastic and one of the best I have played all year. Honestly, it is probably my GOTY, but admittedly, I'm a bit romantic over Uncharted. ;)

I wonder if Naughty Dog will work on another Uncharted title, or if they will perhaps move on to their next franchise, seeing as the PS4 may be around the corner. If that happens, will Sony pass the main Uncharted series onto another developer?

Basch

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Naughty Dog swept Cheat Code Central's 5th Annual Cody Awards. Uncharted 3 was honored in nine of the categories, I believe, taking a total of six awards: GotY, Best PS3 Game, Best Action-Adventure, Best Graphics, Best Multiplayer (shockingly enough), and Best Male Character.

Complete List

I'm honestly surprised. I mean, I'd have given it more such as Best Art Design, Best Writing, Best Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Sound, Best Music, etc. But I fully expected Skyrim or Portal 2 to win a majority of these awards.

badyu17

Are Online passes tied to account or console like any other DLC? If its the latter then just make an EU account and buy it there.

My default ps3 account is US but I have UK version of the game and I needed to activate my online pass on UK psn store, it needs to match the version of the game. After that you can play on US account, no problems. I experienced the same thing for BF3.

Trying to connect online to have a game in MP (for the first time) and I keep getting the message "failed syncing levels", does this happen to anyone else? Is this someone else came accross and has to do with some local router configuration?

Help please? :(

edit: after at least 30 tries, I connected :| weird o-O

My default ps3 account is US but I have UK version of the game and I needed to activate my online pass on UK psn store, it needs to match the version of the game. After that you can play on US account, no problems. I experienced the same thing for BF3.
This is how you do online pass the correct way ...

Top Bottom