• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

The most worthless weapon in the entire MP. lol

It zooms in too much for a handgun, at the end of the day there are too many guns, I liked things better when it was just the AK as the starting weapon and people can pick up whatever, people like to customize but too many weapons make it hard to balance.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jacked it down to Very Easy and blazed through 5 chapters. No challenge at all, but I think I'm enjoying the ride a lot more now. Kind of fun to be able to melee down so many guys and not worry about getting destroyed.

I must say, that stuff in the airplane was incredible. Naughty Dog are goddamn wizards.

TripOpt55

Yeah, I was having similar issues playing solo tonight. Got matched up a lot with randoms against full partied up teams and while every now and then we can win like that, it usually goes to shit. Tonight I was typically the only one above 1 KDR on our team for deathmatch. Kind of frustrating. I'm not mad at the other players since I guess they are just overmatched, but it just gets frustrating.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
@ zefah...dude you really suck at games. once the aim patch came on, you shouldn't have issues shooting/aiming. very easy? oh wow.

Meh, I don't really care. I played up to Chapter 16 on Hard, and it wasn't much fun for me. The controls and encounter design in this game are just frustrating, in my opinion. I Platinum'd Uncharted 2 and loved every playthrough, but they blew it with this title if you ask me.

I'll just finish up the rest of the game on Very Easy so the frustrating combat sections don't detract from the rest of the otherwise entertaining experience.

deepbrown

Meh, I don't really care. I played up to Chapter 16 on Hard, and it wasn't much fun for me. The controls and encounter design in this game are just frustrating, in my opinion. I Platinum'd Uncharted 2 and loved every playthrough, but they blew it with this title if you ask me.

I'll just finish up the rest of the game on Very Easy so the frustrating combat sections don't detract from the rest of the otherwise entertaining experience.

But it's easier than U2... the combat scenarios are my favourite. It's like a puzzle trying to work out how to beat them.

Zen

Banned
But it's easier than U2... the combat scenarios are my favourite. It's like a puzzle trying to work out how to beat them.

They don't feel organic. It's like the type of disconnect that was in Uncharted 1 between the combat and non combat sequences but much less dynamic. You essentailly, for most of them, just get stuck in an area and have to beat waves of enemies while you are relatively out in the open. It might be like a puzzle trying to work them out, but that also means trial and error, and they typically don't make as full use of everything Drake can do when you compare it to the encounters in Uncharted 2 (with some notable exceptions).

cackhyena

They don't feel organic. It's like the type of disconnect that was in Uncharted 1 between the combat and non combat sequences but much less dynamic. You essentailly, for most of them, just get stuck in an area and have to beat waves of enemies while you are relatively out in the open. It might be like a puzzle trying to work them out, but that also means trial and error, and they typically don't make as full use of everything Drake can do when you compare it to the encounters in Uncharted 2 (with some notable exceptions).

I love Uncharted 3, but this post is pretty fucking spot on.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

you're
everyone
really letting nostalgia get in the way of your memory. UC2 approached arenas in the same exact way UC1 and UC3 do (through trial and error). in UC2 each area of battle a wave of AI would pour out, just like in UC3 and UC2. the only thing I will give you that UC2 did as opposed to its prequel or sequel was the amount of variety between those arena battles.

in UC1 you would go from arena, to arena to arena. in UC2 you would go from arena, to sneaking, to running through buildings as a helicopter chases you, to carrying a dying camera man as many mercs shoot you, to solving a platforming puzzle, to exploring icy caves with monsters, eh, you get the picture.

now UC3's pacing is all fucked up. this is the problem that many people seem to be having with it. UC2 has more arena battles than UC3 but the difference is that UC3 gives you the variety and unique combat scenarios at the beginning of the game while UC3 spams you with arena battles from mid-end until the end of the game with barely any room to breathe. I feel like many of the people who dislike UC3's arenas are experiencing fatigue from the horrible lack of pacing found in this game.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It zooms in too much for a handgun, at the end of the day there are too many guns, I liked things better when it was just the AK as the starting weapon and people can pick up whatever, people like to customize but too many weapons make it hard to balance.
The fact that it takes 3 shots to kill someone and that it only has 8 clip of ammo makes the gun even more worthless. I don't mind the zoom in since for me, it's just a slight zoom, but gettng 3 consecutive shots is a drag. I do miss the simplicity of UC2 with everyone being on the same level in terms of guns, but UC3 is what it is. I've just come to accept it for it's own thing.

I decided to try out this loadout:

Fleet Foot Gold
Daredevil Gold
Smoke Bomb
Lazarveich's FAL-SS
Drake's Para9

And no wonder everyone loves Fleet Foot with the FAL. Shit is waaaaaaaay too easy to get kills. I had like 8 consecutive matches where my scores were like 26-2....no one EVER stood a chance in a 1 on 1 fight. I felt like a total cheap scrub for even playing like this because that combo is OP. lol

The fact that it takes 3 shots to kill someone and that it only has 8 clip of ammo makes the gun even more worthless. I don't mind the zoom in since for me, it's just a slight zoom, but gettng 3 consecutive shots is a drag. I do miss the simplicity of UC2 with everyone being on the same level in terms of guns, but UC3 is what it is. I've just come to accept it for it's own thing.

Fleet Foot Gold
Daredevil Gold
Smoke Bomb
Lazarveich's FAL-SS
Drake's Para9

And no wonder everyone loves Fleet Foot with the FAL. Shit is waaaaaaaay too easy to get kills. I had like 8 consecutive matches where my scores were like 26-2....no one EVER stood a chance in a 1 on 1 fight. I felt like a total cheap scrub for even playing like this because that combo is OP. lol

And to think I'm still sticking with my AK + Para pistol + no fleet foot...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
you're
everyone
really letting nostalgia get in the way of your memory. UC2 approached arenas in the same exact way UC1 and UC3 do (through trial and error). in UC2 each area of battle a wave of AI would pour out, just like in UC3 and UC2. the only thing I will give you that UC2 did as opposed to its prequel or sequel was the amount of variety between those arena battles.

in UC1 you would go from arena, to arena to arena. in UC2 you would go from arena, to sneaking, to running through buildings as a helicopter chases you, to carrying a dying camera man as many mercs shoot you, to solving a platforming puzzle, to exploring icy caves with monsters, eh, you get the picture.

now UC3's pacing is all fucked up. this is the problem that many people seem to be having with it. UC2 has more arena battles than UC3 but the difference is that UC3 gives you the variety and unique combat scenarios at the beginning of the game while UC3 spams you with arena battles from mid-end until the end of the game with barely any room to breathe. I feel like many of the people who dislike UC3's arenas are experiencing fatigue from the horrible lack of pacing found in this game.

No, no we're not. I have been playing U2 for the past few weeks alongside U3, and there is no trial and error in the arena fights. You always know what you're up against, you always know where the enemies are in the level, if they spawn in new enemies you get a short cutscene that shows you a car exploding or an RPG hitting a building or a van screeching into the level. You never get blindsided and have to restart the level because "oh after I kill that wave they spawn 4 guys behind me on that ledge."

I think Uncharted 3 is easier than Uncharted 2 once you know what to expect in each level, but the first time through? I bet most people died more often in U3 than in U2.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think UC3's combat scenario is "trial and error."

Dudes spawn out of thin air, sometimes right behind you. They don't even try to mask the spawning part in this game. You learn where the 'wrong' spots to be are pretty quickly.

Himself

I just love that they made these heavily armored shotgun-toting dudes capable of nimbly navigating rusted husks of ships floating on tumultuous waves and probably the fastest enemies in the game. Has anyone caught sight of them doing this? It's hilarious!

Fleet Foot Gold
Daredevil Gold
Smoke Bomb
Lazarveich's FAL-SS
Drake's Para9

I went to 2nd Legacy last night and was using Fewer Grenades (meaning I have none and can't pick them up) and No Power Weapons, just using Elena's Gmal and Drake's Para9. Most matches I was 17-2, 19-6; stuff like that. I love having nothing that gives me an advantage and still be able wipe the floor with those Fleetfooting Quickboomers.

Even got some hate mail calling GAF a G** Ass Forum, lol!

I just love that they made these heavily armored shotgun-toting dudes capable of nimbly navigating rusted husks of ships floating on tumultuous waves and probably the fastest enemies in the game. Has anyone caught sight of them doing this? It's hilarious!

I love these guys in MP, Hard/Crushing Arena: I'm sprinting away, and they can keep up with me! :l

One change they could make that would really help in Co-op (especially Crushing) is to just make the Armored Guys and Brutes get stunned by explosions -- that's it. Give us 2 seconds to breath goddammit!

Bigfoot

I don't think UC3's combat scenario is "trial and error."

The combat itself isn't "trail and error" but the scenarios fit that definition perfectly. If you are in the wrong place when the enemies spawn on the harder difficulties, it is game over. You try again and learn not to be in that spot when wave X is done. You then repeat this until you get through the scenario.

The combat itself isn't "trail and error" but the scenarios fit that definition perfectly. If you are in the wrong place when the enemies spawn on the harder difficulties, it is game over. You try again and learn not to be in that spot when wave X is done. You then repeat this until you get through the scenario.
When you get out of the well in chateau and clear the first set of ennemies , 2 guys spawn on the right tower and start shooting at you . if you are in their line of fire ( because you were melee an ennemy just before) it's game over (you don't have the time to go on cover on crushing )
i can accept that it is frustrating.

Now I've wrapped up Dark Souls and the patch is out I've come back to this. Shooting feels much better, very improved. I still think the hit detection is off slightly, but it's a minor issue.

I've just got up to chapter 10 tonight (God so hard to stop!) and I'm really enjoying it. It's not wowing me the same way as the first two did, but it's clearly a masterfully crafted experience and even more beautiful than 2.

I think by the very nature of playing two previous games this one seems less special, but I'm still loving every second. I'm really glad to have just met up with Elena again, I hope she sticks around for a while!

I'll probably leave it for tonight and play the second half of the game tomorrow as it feels I'm about halfway. Can't wait!

BeeDog

Is there anything wrong with the matchmaking, or is the game's MP already dead? I've been trying to play TDM two days in a row, but the game is always stuck on the "Searching for players..." part. In other words, I'm not able to get into any game. :/

jax (old)

Banned
They had issues w their matchmaking servers a day back n had to take it offline (reboot)... Haven't been online since so I can't say mre. Id check the nd orums

Man I played the beta and was awesome at it, but then got YLOD so I didn't get any of the free stuff they were giving?, I'm terrible now at multi for some reason, they changed a lot of things from the beta, everything is more clunky and slower, that underground map is terrible as well, is the aiming patch out ? maybe that's the reason

Mikey Jr.

Is there anything wrong with the matchmaking, or is the game's MP already dead? I've been trying to play TDM two days in a row, but the game is always stuck on the "Searching for players..." part. In other words, I'm not able to get into any game. :/

Yesh, the MP is already dead. There are literally 0 people playing, lol.

Works fine for me. I was just playing TDM 5 minutes ago.

What version number does it show in the top right corner?

Interstellar

Neo Member

Yesh, the MP is already dead. There are literally 0 people playing, lol.

Works fine for me. I was just playing TDM 5 minutes ago.

Works fine for me too... getting into TDM matches quicker than U2 or any of the betas, usually joining matches in progress.

Trying to level up the Weapon Expert booster just now but there are no good/fun pistols in U3. Using a pistol as a primary weapon in U2 was a good option, not so much in U3 and the less said about the Tau sniper the better.

Holy fuck. That chase sequence. HOLY FUCK.

One of the best game moments I've ever experienced easily. Wow.

Edit: However, cutscenes occasionally freeze, the music stops and now my game won't get past the loading screen. Are these known issues from the patch or something? Sigh, NG have really messed up a lot of aspects of this game...

Edit 2: Yep, if it loads the sound cuts out every time at the start of the boat chapter. Brilliant. Prompt doesn't come up to progress either. The very definition of a game breaking bug.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuck. That chase sequence. HOLY FUCK.

One of the best game moments I've ever experienced easily. Wow.

Edit: However, cutscenes occasionally freeze, the music stops and now my game won't get past the loading screen. Are these known issues from the patch or something? Sigh, NG have really messed up a lot of aspects of this game...

Edit 2: Yep, if it loads the sound cuts out every time at the start of the boat chapter. Brilliant. Prompt doesn't come up to progress either. The very definition of a game breaking bug.

I definitely experienced some weird issues where the sound cut out in some scenes, too.

Anyway, I just finished the game. Other than a few really amazing set pieces, I don't think this game even came close to Uncharted 2's greatness. The combat scenarios were just far too frustrating. I'm going to go play through Uncharted 2 now to confirm this, though.

I definitely experienced some weird issues where the sound cut out in some scenes, too.

Did it stop cutscenes playing? That's what's happening for me. I don't hear Drake or the music and then when I go to the point where a cutscene is meant to trigger it just doesn't. I can't get past the very first room in chapter 12.

I want to love this game, but with the aiming being messed up and now this? Making it hard to be honest, as good as it is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did it stop cutscenes playing? That's what's happening for me. I don't hear Drake or the music and then when I go to the point where a cutscene is meant to trigger it just doesn't. I can't get past the very first room in chapter 12.

I want to love this game, but with the aiming being messed up and now this? Making it hard to be honest, as good as it is.

I never had any showstoppers like that, just some weird sound glitches.

Anyway, I just went back to Uncharted 2 to confirm some things, and the controls feel so much tighter here. Drake doesn't feel so slippery when running around and the aiming is a ton better. The reticule doesn't decelerate nearly as much when you hover over enemies, and hit detection seems a lot better. Just for shits, I checked my statistics in both games. I have 57.8% accuracy in Uncharted 2, while I only have 27% in Uncharted 3 (this is with the alternate aiming controls).

I will never use fleet foot. I think really in the end it makes your overall skill decrease. People really start to rely on it far too much and if anything ever happened to it people wouldn't know what to do. It would be like the hipfire nerf but x10! How many people do you see use Kal7's now?

I've tried all the kickbacks and boosters for the most part and I have the most fun and kills with my setup of

Booster 1: Grenade Expert
Booster 2. Kickback Endurance
Kickback: Quick Boom

This gives me roughly 30 secs of quick boom and when I can stack almost three grenades plus the one given upon activation you can wreck total havoc.

But wait didn't I just say that I don't using Fleet Foot because it would weaken my overall skill? Why would I use a setup evolved around Quickboom?

Well for one yes it is overpowered but two it takes up all of my boosters and kickback options. I learn to play with the bare basics of abilities rather than using enhancers like Weapons Expert, Fleet Foot, Monkey Climbing ect. so that I can practice being adapt at any situation. I don't ever wanna feel like saying "I lost that fight because I didn't have fleet foot" instead saying "I participated in a fight I know I wasn't going to win but tried anyway"

Plus using a quick boom setup is actually teaching me to be careful when throwing grenades to stop killing myself with them and my teammates. I know I have team killed my GAF buddies a couple of times with quick booms because the enemy is right there why NOT chuck a grenade right next to him lol sorry GAF!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
OK I call bullshit on whoever says enemies don't spawn behind you. I'm playing through on Crushing right now and I'm in
Syria
in the firefight after you walk into the
storage closet
. I immediately jumped down to the left and used that area to take cover. This is a small little alcove which is essentially a dead end, so enemies can only come at me from the front. I figured this was a good strategic area to hold down.

I kill all enemies in the courtyard, but no cutscene triggers, and I can hear one or two enemies talking. So I run out of the alcove to look around and see what I missed, and BOOM BOOM BOOM enemy spawns behind me in the alcove and takes me out in 2 seconds.

FUCK the combat scenarios in this game.

When I saw this thread a long time ago, people were moaning about the horse. Why were they moaning about the horse? I think SOTC was mentioned as a comparison of horse behaviour.

What did everyone think of the scenes where Nate was
drugged and had to walk through that village? And the scene where he was later drugged and hallucinating in the city of brass?

Personally I thought it was friggin awesome. Only saw it mentioned once on here and it was someone moaning about it (of course they were).

But yeh. Reading this thread has reminded me just how cool the opening sequence+flashback structure of Uncharted 2 was - incredibly polished feel to it. And how cool it was to be in that building having a gunfight whilst it collapsed. The incredible graphics of Nepal. And that cool part where first you walk through the village, and then later you end up having an incredible battle through the whole thing complete with tanks and everything. The train sequence, oh god the train sequence. The part where you have to carry your friend through the gun battle without getting shot. The climax where you're jumping over the gaps in the collapsing floor and you're just in awe at how impressive it all looks. Even ehe ending scene which had genuinely funny dialogue. Man, what a game that was.

Anyway, I just went back to Uncharted 2 to confirm some things, and the controls feel so much tighter here. Drake doesn't feel so slippery when running around and the aiming is a ton better. The reticule doesn't decelerate nearly as much when you hover over enemies, and hit detection seems a lot better. Just for shits, I checked my statistics in both games. I have 57.8% accuracy in Uncharted 2, while I only have 27% in Uncharted 3 (this is with the alternate aiming controls).

If you played it on Very Easy, and your accuracy is that low, then you must be one of the worst players ever, lol. The reticule damn near snaps directly on to enemies; dude I can't understand why you had so many problems!

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

lol. My stats was like >40% PRE-PATCH. On my first playthrough.

You need more practice dude.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
lol. My stats was like >40% PRE-PATCH. On my first playthrough.

You need more practice dude.

If you played it on Very Easy, and your accuracy is that low, then you must be one of the worst players ever, lol. The reticule damn near snaps directly on to enemies; dude I can't understand why you had so many problems!

Well I did play up to Chapter 16 on Hard. Played the rest of the game on Very Easy, though.

Anyway, the controls just didn't work for me at all even with the alternate controls turned on from the start. There's just something different about them from Uncharted 2. My 58% accuracy in Uncharted 2 is after four or five times through the campaign, too, three of which were on Hard or Crushing difficulty, so it's not like I completely sucked at that game.

I went back to play it today for about an hour and everything from Drake's movement to the shooting controls just feels a ton better.

What did everyone think of the scenes where Nate was
drugged and had to walk through that village? And the scene where he was later drugged and hallucinating in the city of brass?

Personally I thought it was friggin awesome. Only saw it mentioned once on here and it was someone moaning about it (of course they were).

But yeh. Reading this thread has reminded me just how cool the opening sequence+flashback structure of Uncharted 2 was - incredibly polished feel to it. And how cool it was to be in that building having a gunfight whilst it collapsed. The incredible graphics of Nepal. And that cool part where first you walk through the village, and then later you end up having an incredible battle through the whole thing complete with tanks and everything. The train sequence, oh god the train sequence. The part where you have to carry your friend through the gun battle without getting shot. The climax where you're jumping over the gaps in the collapsing floor and you're just in awe at how impressive it all looks. Even ehe ending scene which had genuinely funny dialogue. Man, what a game that was.

Hell yes. Uncharted 2 is fucking incredible. There was some cool stuff in UC3, namely the airplane part (that was awesome), but they didn't come close to topping the second game in my opinion. The ending was quite a fizzle in this as well, really. Did they ever follow up on Marlowe's comment that
Drake isn't Nate's real name
?

Cruzader

Banned
Could someone help me on getting the Reload Master Trophy?

Wtf man. I read up both ps3trophies net/com and that say you can farm kills by restarting a checkpoint but I tried and can't get it. The damn trophy says to do it in a row also. What gives??? Also if you did this, what chapter and stuff.

Edit: nvm. I farmed kills on ch.19 and died after 9-10 kills and repeated. Who ever posted that bullshit lie of restarting should get kicked in the dick. Dying transfers the kills not the other way.

Well I did play up to Chapter 16 on Hard. Played the rest of the game on Very Easy, though.

Anyway, the controls just didn't work for me at all even with the alternate controls turned on from the start. There's just something different about them from Uncharted 2. My 58% accuracy in Uncharted 2 is after four or five times through the campaign, too, three of which were on Hard or Crushing difficulty, so it's not like I completely sucked at that game.

I went back to play it today for about an hour and everything from Drake's movement to the shooting controls just feels a ton better.

Hmm, that's pretty strange. I struggled playing through on Hard pre-patch, but my accuracy was still in the 40's. Post patch my accuracy was 64% on Crushing. The controls were definitely less than ideal before the patch, but afterwards they feel the same as U2 to me. Controlling Drake does feel a bit different though, due to all his extra animations.

Could someone help me on getting the Reload Master Trophy?

Wtf man. I read up both ps3trophies net/com and that say you can farm kills by restarting a checkpoint but I tried and can't get it. The damn trophy says to do it in a row also. What gives??? Also if you did this, what chapter and stuff.

You should try Chapter 22. Fight your way up to the part
where you have to cross the bridge with the gears in the middle, after the place starts crumbling.
An enemy with a T-bolt sniper will charge you. Melee him and take the sniper, then take out the enemies from cover. This will give you one hit kills, plus it's easier to judge your manual reloads. You should be able to take out 6, then just jump off the bridge and spawn again, rinse and repeat.

edit-Ah, I see you got it. I never restarted the checkpoints either; I just killed myself and started over.

Game is really fun. I'm on chapter 12 right now, but I'm succumbing to motion sickness really easily and cant play for longer than 20 minutes. Any suggestions or tips?

Matchmaking is working.

Yesterday i finally found a couple of hours to play the game a bit further.
Goddamn, i really don't get how they do it... The way this game looks is really insane.
I also think it's a great game. I'm at the
shipyard with the pirates
level right now

Couple of gripes throughout the game:
- sometimes i'm ahead of the the triggered events and makes it really awkward and unimmersive at certain points.
- sometimes the framerate seems to dip, but i actually think this is caused by animations not running fluently. It's like the animations are made out of very few frames or something.
- In a game where everything looks sooooo great, the things that jump out are the things the look not so great.
- the balance in certain interactive scenes should be shifted more to gameplay instead of watching the game being played for you.
- Melee reminds me a lot like Batman: AC, but the melee in Batman is better and more satisfying.

I can't wait, no, i CAN wait to play a next gen Uncharted. Take all the time you need ND!!!
Thanx for creating such great games.

jax (old)

Banned
OK I call bullshit on whoever says enemies don't spawn behind you. I'm playing through on Crushing right now and I'm in
Syria
in the firefight after you walk into the
storage closet
. I immediately jumped down to the left and used that area to take cover. This is a small little alcove which is essentially a dead end, so enemies can only come at me from the front. I figured this was a good strategic area to hold down.

I kill all enemies in the courtyard, but no cutscene triggers, and I can hear one or two enemies talking. So I run out of the alcove to look around and see what I missed, and BOOM BOOM BOOM enemy spawns behind me in the alcove and takes me out in 2 seconds.

FUCK the combat scenarios in this game.

They climbed down from above. Its not a dead end. what's wrong with that? People expecting a linear fire fight should go play... well; most other games.

The fact you could hear them talking means they were already coming.

Top Bottom