• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Tonight was amazing for me in the MP. I partied up with Bleach and we did Three Team Deathmatch and slaughtered everyone. We must have played about 30 matches and I think we only lost the first match we played. After that, it was pure ass kicking. Three TDM still rocks. We got accusations from people calling us campers JUST because we stuck together and worked as a team lol. I even leveled up Treasure Hunter to gold! Woot woot.

The most hilarious thing was destroying the FAL players we ran across with. In one instance we had two partied up high level players who were FAL + Fleet Foot users, and they were tearing us down. So me and Bleach decided to troll them back and switch our loudouts to the FAL ones and owned them in every single gun fight. :lol sweet motherfucking justice!

Playing through the campaign now. Haven't finished it yet, but Chloe and Elena look so damn different to me, it's not even funny. I don't know why they changed the character models on them so much.

Completed crushing last night i did crushing with alternate setting and my accuracy went from 64% to 84% ... some really awesome patch... it also solved some sound issues i had in teh last part of the ship level ...

What really is baffling is how i had NOT trouble with the last ennemies nor with the final boss
Thos flamming teleporting ennemies were dead in one attempt (without dying ) i cannot say the same with my crushing run in U2 ...

As expected i had trouble in the sand storm ( end of chapter 20) but this allowed me to farm the sniper 30 kill trophy so in the end i don't mind ..

Overall i think my real challenge was my initial NORMAL run .... i died less in crushing ..

Finished it.

Really great game. Not as amazing as 2, but I don't think they could have topped it. I don't think anything would've had that impact again.

I thought the pirate stuff was questionable and seemed to go on too long, but the boat section after it was so cool it makes up for it. I also think that the last 90 mins is far too focused on gunplay and the last location is really rushed.

Great last boss fight. The complete opposite from the fight from 2 and better because of it. Wonderfully done.

Looked amazing. I still don't know how they get such results out of such shit hardware.

I really liked the more... expressionist, I suppose you could say, moments. It was a pretty cool change in tone and allowed them to do some really funky stuff.

I wish there was more Elena, but I think the focus on Sully and Nate's relationship was still really good.

I'll always want more Uncharted, but this definitely feels like a game that ends on a note where if we don't see another game for three or four years it wouldn't feel too cruel. Each character has got to the point where I believe they would take a break from epic adventures that risk their lives, which was a clever way to end it.

Ultimately I came in with lower expectations than I should have. Lots of people were saying "more of the same" etc etc and whilst that is true to a degree, more of this is always wonderful.

One of the best games of the year.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
If anything, going into this game with low expectations is the way to go. I went into this game expecting Uncharted 2, and was sorely disappointed. I still recognize it as a good (great?) game, but it never wowed me in gameplay terms. Graphics though are by far the best on the market. I'm also enjoying the multiplayer.

Oh yeah, it's probably always best to go in with lowered expectations. I can understand why people could be disappointed, perhaps rightly so, but I appreciate it was an impossible act to follow and they went in a different enough direction that differentiates it from the first two.

Do tell. I haven't come across anything particularly crafty or impressive recently, except for the cheap-as-all-hell FAL.

well, I'm not gonna bother posting all the specific details of different encounters but it mostly happens during cat and mouse exchanges.

I'll get the drop on someone and think I have the upper hand, then they will make some smart moves to escape. Then make an even smarter move to get the upper hand on me till I escape.. just the back and forth stuff.

They look better. Lighting + makeup make them seem different.

In no universe does Elena look better in U3 than in U2.

Chloe may look better due to the lighting, etc., but it's a matter of preference as far as her actual facial structure or whatever.

Nathan looks tons better in U3 however.

jett

D-Member
In no universe does Elena look better in U3 than in U2.

Chloe may look better due to the lighting, etc., but it's a matter of preference as far as her actual facial structure or whatever.

Nathan looks tons better in U3 however.

m4q6h-v9hut-8h874-5atkv.jpg

UC3 Elena is easily the best yet.

UC3 Elena is easily the best yet.

Cherrypicking like that is easy in any situation (never mind that it's (1) a screenshot; and (2) at a fake resolution). It does not represent reality properly. In reality, on average, in motion, throughout the game, Elena's face looks worse in Uncharted 3. Except the crazy ghost eyes in U2 of course... though Elena didn't suffer from that as badly as Chloe.

Anyone with any aesthetic sense that sees Elena in Uncharted 3 goes "what's the deal with her face?" within the first 3 minutes.

jett

D-Member
Cherrypicking like that is easy in any situation (never mind that it's (1) a screenshot; and (2) at a fake resolution). It does not represent reality properly. In reality, on average, in motion, throughout the game, Elena's face looks worse in Uncharted 3. Except the crazy ghost eyes in U2 of course... though Elena didn't suffer from that as badly as Chloe.

Anyone with any aesthetic sense that sees Elena in Uncharted 3 goes "what's the deal with her face?" within the first 3 minutes.

Only because she looks different from UC2. As far as I'm concerned her model is a marked improvement in every aspect, technically and aesthetically. She is by far prettier in UC3.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This game made me just want a
young Nathan Drake
platformer/stealth/puzzle game that's more in the vein of Goonies, Tintin, etc than another shooter.

Himself

Now that I've finished it a second time I look at the end in a whole different light. I think the last hour or so does a better job of tying together all of the game's visual and thematic elements than the first two games. It was really well done and I actually like that it moves quickly. Great finale. Probably my favorite of the series.

I wish there was more incentive for treasure hunting. There were a few that required you to go a bit off the beaten path or even navigate a platform or two and I wish this was how all the treasures were hidden. I.e., the treasures were rewards for exploring hidden areas and not just something glimmering behind a entrance that you only see when you rotate the camera to the front of Drake. More videogamey, less afterthoughtish.

And I've said it before, but fewer god-damned interruptions next time. Let me play the game. I can manage to twirl the stick to rotate a switch or aim my flashlight in a particular direction thank you very much.

Dever

Banned
This game made me just want a
young Nathan Drake
platformer/stealth/puzzle game that's more in the vein of Goonies, Tintin, etc than another shooter.

Same here. Uncharted 3 was great and all but it made me wish ND would do another Jak & Daxter game. Something with more traditional action-adventuring, instead of straight up third-person shooting. The realistic setting I feel kind of limits their game design. It's just shooting, traversal(Not really platforming), shooting, traversal, then shooting again...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Elena and Chloe both look "weirder" in UC3 than in UC2. I say "weirder" and not "worse" because in terms of polygons and shaders and lighting I'm sure they are more advanced, but aesthetically they look hideous in comparison.

RedRedSuit said:
In reality, on average, in motion, throughout the game, Elena's face looks worse in Uncharted 3.

This right here nails it. What shocks me is that Chloe and Elena look different at various points in the game. In one cutscene they look fine, in another they look like a foot. Their eyes are nice and lifelike in one shot, and in another they're really small and stretched out.

It really baffles me. It's like their character models evolved over time and no one bothered to go back and unify them.

And don't get me started on the multiplayer models. Ugh. It's so difficult to click that "Find Game" button because I know I'll be staring at a fugly Chloe model for the next hour.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I strongly agree with most of their complaints. Particularly with how frustrating/annoying the gunplay was compared to Uncharted 2, and how out of place the whole pirate section was story-wise.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
lmao Elena Chloe debates still going?!

Anyways i'm about halfway through my my Crushing run...I still love the story of this game a lot more than U2.

Really? What do you love about it? Is it just the settings?

The story in this seemed a bit throwaway to me. I loved the flashback sequences that showed some light on Drake's past, but is it just me or did they never follow up on Marlowe's comment about
Drake not being Nathan's real last name
?

I was also really disappointed with how easily
Marlowe and crew were defeated at the end. I felt like their motivations were not really explained clearly, nor were Marlowe and Sully's relationship.

I like the focus on Drake and Sully's relationship, but the other parts of the story were rather disappointing.

Massa

Really? What do you love about it? Is it just the settings?

The story in this seemed a bit throwaway to me. I loved the flashback sequences that showed some light on Drake's past, but is it just me or did they never follow up on Marlowe's comment about
Drake not being Nathan's real last name
?

I was also really disappointed with how easily
Marlowe and crew were defeated at the end. I felt like their motivations were not really explained clearly, nor were Marlowe and Sully's relationship.

I like the focus on Drake and Sully's relationship, but the other parts of the story were rather disappointing.

I thought the story was absolutely great. They didn't hammer on the points you mentioned because they didn't need to.

Derrick01

Banned
Put me in the camp that thinks UC3 Elena > UC2. Though I do think Chloe looked a little weird.

Also congrats on the 700k. In a month with so many more heavy hitters sales wise, I really believe 700k is very respectable for uncharted.

berg ark

Don't know about you guys but... I was a bit disapointed. Too much hype maybe... It was way to short for me - only like 10 hours. Went by way to quickly. Not worth the money imho. Maybe in a year when the price has dropped to half of what it is today.

Don't get me wrong - but that much money for 9 hours and an unsatisfying multi... just dont know man.

cackhyena

Don't know about you guys but... I was a bit disapointed. Too much hype maybe... It was way to short for me - only like 10 hours. Went by way to quickly. Not worth the money imho. Maybe in a year when the price has dropped to half of what it is today.

Don't get me wrong - but that much money for 9 hours and an unsatisfying multi... just dont know man.

Gross opinion.

Zeliard

I can't get into the gameplay at all in this game. Simplistic platforming, simplistic puzzles, awful, awful gunplay.

I only ever tried it with the fixed controls and I still hate it. As a shooter the game is terrible; unfortunately that makes up most of the gameplay. I'm on Chapter 9. Supposedly it starts getting better, somehow, but unless they do something pretty drastic with the gameplay then it's pretty hard to imagine.

They at least seem to have fewer combat arenas now, but it isn't like they replaced it with anything particularly interesting, at least so far. The back-and-forth between Drake and Sully is still the best part and even that's getting samey.

Dragon

Banned
I can't get into the gameplay at all in this game. Simplistic platforming, simplistic puzzles, awful, awful gunplay.

I only ever tried it with the fixed controls and I still hate it. As a shooter the game is terrible; unfortunately that makes up most of the gameplay. I'm on Chapter 9. Supposedly it starts getting better, somehow, but unless they do something pretty drastic with the gameplay then it's pretty hard to imagine.

They at least seem to have fewer combat arenas now, but it isn't like they replaced it with anything particularly interesting, at least so far. The back-and-forth between Drake and Sully is still the best part and even that's getting samey.

There is more emphasis on puzzle solving at the beginning of the game. You won't want to play the latter chapters if you HATE the gameplay. It hasn't changed really all that much since UC1. Is this your first Uncharted game?

patsu

It's a weird game. I appreciate it more after completing the game.

Hated the water levels at first, then liked it after I understood the map after I killed everyone. ^_^

Also love the sand levels after I killed off everyone. [scratch head]

Zeliard

There is more emphasis on puzzle solving at the beginning of the game. You won't want to play the latter chapters if you HATE the gameplay. It hasn't changed really all that much since UC1. Is this your first Uncharted game?

No, I beat the previous two. And I've never been a fan of Uncharted's gameplay, even in the second one.

Always thought NG should veer far away from gunplay, but if it's going to be replaced with platforming and puzzles that are just as insipid, there seems little point.

The designers likely want players to continuously press forward in order to hit all the narrative beats in proper order and timing. They don't want players to hit a stumbling block as far as challenge, so the platforming and particularly the puzzles will never be as involved as they should be to make them interesting.

It's a highly narrative-driven game and they also want to control the pacing and progression very closely as a result. This would be fine except that it manifests itself in little player agency (as others have complained about with UC3), and the bits of challenge that aren't affected by a difficulty slider are purposefully non-challenging.

jax (old)

Banned
from the NPD thread: (lets talk sales for a bit)

me:
should have been a million but yes; releasing vs multiplatform monsters and being the 1st exclusive ain't bad. should have been a million though. I mean the game before it was GOTY

also wanted to add; somewhere in those numbers are blackfriday sales - so all up; I think it wasn't good. Didn't gears3 move 3 million in its 1st month??

maybe releasing in a less competitve month would have been good for it.

Derrick01

Banned

Or you could have grabbed it for $30 on black friday on amazon like I did :p

ghibli99

My wife's first words were "She looks weird", but maybe she was trying to throw me off from thinking she looked good. LOL I tended to agree, though. In some scenes she looks better, but that was most likely because of the animation and VO, which really helps. In screenshots, I think she looks rather bleh for the most part.

from the NPD thread: (lets talk sales for a bit)

me:

also wanted to add; somewhere in those numbers are blackfriday sales - so all up; I think it wasn't good. Didn't gears3 move 3 million in its 1st month??

maybe releasing in a less competitve month would have been good for it.

In the US alone?

jax (old)

Banned
In the US alone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gears_of_War_3
Gears of War 3 made over one million pre-orders making it one of the most anticipated games of 2011.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446792
Following more than 22,000 midnight madness launch events, Microsoft and Epic Games today announced that the Xbox 360 exclusive sold more than three million copies in its first week since release, cementing Gears 3 as the biggest game of 2011 and catapulting the franchise beyond one billion dollars in lifetime sales.

http://www.msxbox-world.com/news/ar...confirms-gears-of-war-3-first-week-sales.html
world wide. *

patsu

Did you try Co-op Adventure mode ?

Top Bottom