• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

T-0800

Finiished UC3 last night. Best UC yet in my opinion and the visuals are just....wow.

I was shocked at how much I felt attached to the characters. Especially one of the new ones.

So, I just got to the shooting part of this game and yeah... aiming definitively feels off. The weird thing is, it feels off even with the alternative setting.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Treasure Hunter Gold drops so many treasure drops...but the problem is that I keep getting the same shit over and over again! Even when I have two treasure drops in front of me, sometimes it'll be the same treasure two or three times during that match! ARRGGGGHH. Just Cash infuriates the shit out of me. I've been playing Free For All to unlock the weapons, and the amount of Just Cash medals I get are ridiculous. :(

I had to turn off the Facebook feature because I'm tired of seeing, "You've collected a duplicate treasure! post it on your wall!" message every. single. match. i. play for like 6 consecutive times whenever I put Treasure Hunter.

In other news, I managed to unlock Elena's cat ears about two days ago. i had to force myself to play co-op arena hunter to get them. Too bad I'll never unlock the bowler hat for Suited Sully. :(

Niks

Finished it a few days ago.

On par with UC2. Many holy shit moments indeed.

But...
The ending certainly seemed a bit underwhelming to be honest. I was kinda hoping/expecting to see what would come out of that ball in the end. It certainly seemed to answer to the ones who criticized the supernatural elements in UC an UC2.

I really wonder what kinda story ND are going to pull off for UC4. Probably an Asian myth/setting. Also, while I really like Elena, I think ND made a mistake in keeping her in the series. They should have followed the tried and true way of movies like Indiana Jones and James Bond, where each new iteration introduces a new female lead.

leng jai

Finished it a few days ago.

On par with UC2. Many holy shit moments indeed.

But...
The ending certainly seemed a bit underwhelming to be honest. I was kinda hoping/expecting to see what would come out of that ball in the end. It certainly seemed to answer to the ones who criticized the supernatural elements in UC an UC2.

I really wonder what kinda story ND are going to pull off for UC4. Probably an Asian myth/setting. Also, while I really like Elena, I think ND made a mistake in keeping her in the series. They should have followed the tried and true way of movies like Indiana Jones and James Bond, where each new iteration introduces a new female lead.

ND made a mistake cutting her out of half the game.

Himself

Just tried some MP and my GOD was it dreadful. A bunch of people running around with AKs playing the same boring game modes that have been in every online shooter forever? No thanks. I hope The Last of Us has none of this half-assed MP rubbish to appease the masses.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Just tried some MP and my GOD was it dreadful. A bunch of people running around with AKs playing the same boring game modes that have been in every online shooter forever? No thanks. I hope The Last of Us has none of this half-assed MP rubbish to appease the masses.

WAT.

Coop Arena?
Coop Adventure?
Terrain Traversal?
Treasure Pickups?

Few games have coop gameplay as such a large focus, and fewer still actually makes full use of terrain around you. There is no multplayer that plays like uncharted. None.

Meier

Finished it today.. solid game. I'd probably give it an 8 -- a step back from Uncharted 2, no doubt. The gunplay remains the absolute worst part of this series (regardless of the aiming difficulties) but the actual platforming was very good this time around. I felt like the first 1/3rd of the game was pretty underwhelming and relied way too much on the big set pieces but it came into its own eventually. I think my favorite puzzle in the series was the one where you had to move the grid around based on looking at the holograms from the various angles. Really, really clever.

I hate, hate, hated that they brought in the stupid supernatural stuff again when Nate was "hallucinating" but other than that, the second half of the game was particularly solid.. each chapter was taught and well executed. It was a very worthwhile rental although I can't imagine why anyone would buy this and play the multiplayer personally.

p.s. Hats off to people who got past the
"fire demons"
bit on Crushing. Man, that shit was obnoxious as hell on Normal.
p.p.s.
The Sully getting shot scene was really well done. I actually believed it and was hoping it was true because that would have taken some balls.

Himself

I mean...er, maybe it's just me...

I really enjoyed the co-op adventure stuff and that's way more up my alley. But just the same old competitive modes that never interested me in the first place certainly won't hook me here, as much as I love Uncharted. 30 min. was way more than enough. I thought I heard something about dynamic map changes and stuff, but didn't encounter any of it.

p.s. Hats off to people who got past the "
fire demons
" bit on Crushing. Man, that shit was obnoxious as hell on Normal.

?

Never had any trouble with that at all on Normal. Pretty vanilla battles at their core, I thought.

What I had some (not a lot... but some... I expect Hard/Crushing to be frustrating) trouble with were a couple of the cruise ship arena battles.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

I really enjoyed the co-op adventure stuff and that's way more up my alley. But just the same old competitive modes that never interested me in the first place certainly won't hook me here, as much as I love Uncharted. 30 min. was way more than enough. I thought I heard something about dynamic map changes and stuff, but didn't encounter any of it.

Dynamic map changes are just the things like the airplane scene and the occasional dust storms in the desert maps.

Meier

?

Never had any trouble with that at all on Normal. Pretty vanilla battles at their core, I thought.

What I had some (not a lot... but some... I expect Hard/Crushing to be frustrating) trouble with were a couple of the cruise ship arena battles.

The section where there were about 5 or 6 of them at a time took me a number of tries personally. The time I did beat it went really smoothly but I died quite often before that. It seemed like the Tau Sniper ended up being the best weapon for the fight.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The section where there were about 5 or 6 of them at a time took me a number of tries personally. The time I did beat it went really smoothly but I died quite often before that. It seemed like the Tau Sniper ended up being the best weapon for the fight.

It really is just about the weapon choice. Goes down in 2-3 shots with a tau sniper or hammer. A lot of people just go charging in with machine guns though.

I was probably lucky, then, in that I was working on the Tau Sniper trophy at the time and thus shot everyone exclusively with that, RPGs if available, and the SAS.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Only about four hours into Uncharted 3, but it's kind of weird so far.

On chapter 9, and I have to say, some of the changes they made to the core mechanics are strange. The most notable is the combat, which seems more similar to Drake's Fortune than Among Thieves (not a good thing in my mind). Enemies are absolutely ridiculous in this game, scurrying (yes, scurrying, not "running" like intelligent human beings) across the environment like it don't mean no thang, making it very difficult to actually keep track of all of them. Oftentimes you'll be shot in the back and go "lolwut" because it's so random and unexpected. Also, stealth is nearly impossible. Whereas I stealth'd my way through the vast majority of combat scenarios in Among Thieves on Crushing, I have yet to effectively employ ANY stealth tactics in Uncharted 3 aside from the initial tutorials.

And also, is it just me or is the writing and dialogue far less witty?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I preferred the more precise animations in Uncharted 2. Controlling Drake sometimes is more of a hassle than it should be.

jett

D-Member

How are plunder and team objective the same old modes? Or three team deathmatch?

p.s. Hats off to people who got past the
"fire demons"
bit on Crushing. Man, that shit was obnoxious as hell on Normal.

It's much better afterwards for the simple reason you can be ready for them ..i was expecting a tough fight but instead got past them in a single try without dying ( i was keeping my grenade launcher for them to eat ) , coupled with the TAu and the munition in the middle of that area , i cleared a path easily

jax (old)

Banned
The MP game is fantastic. That's all. Anyone who invests any time into it will know it. Co-op adventure and arena are both great.

I want the mappacks!

jax (old)

Banned
RKi5Wl.jpg

did they update the MP game? Its now 1.03. was 1.02 before.

whats new?

Himself

How are plunder and team objective the same old modes? Or three team deathmatch?

Plunder is capture the flag. The team objective modes that I encountered were king of the hill, a quick mini-deathmatch, assassination, and chain reaction. I think these are basically the same modes in every online MP shooter. The few that I've played, anyway.

jett

D-Member
Plunder is capture the flag. The team objective modes that I encountered were king of the hill, a quick mini-deathmatch, assassination, and chain reaction. I think these are basically the same modes in every online MP shooter. The few that I've played, anyway.

Plunder is a twist on CTF, there is only one "flag" for both teams, it can be thrown across the map and carrying changes the gameplay dynamics. TO dynamically changes through several modes throughout the match, only Killzone does something similar.

heringer

Just finished.

Great game, but not as good as the predecessor, imo. ND is definitely running out of ideas. I mean, the last section is
pretty much exactly like in Among Thieves. The horse/truck section is also a spin of the truck section in Uncharted 2. The game recycles way too many ideas.

Seems to me they tried too hard to fill the game with "epic" moments. It came off a little forced to me, like they tried to wow me too hard.

And the villains have no development at all. They don't really explore their motivations at all. It's just "they are a bunch of people wanting power". That's it. Who are they?

Best part in the game was the
ship graveyard. Though I was angry with Drake the entire time since it was always blatantly obvious the pirate was lying about Sully. If Drake already knew Marlowe needed him, why the hell would a hired pirate have the guy? I mean, c'mon.

I love Uncharted, but the franchise needs to rest for a few years. I'm ready for The Last of Us.

Minamu

Is it possible to play Crushing with cheats and still get the trophy, like in the previous games (even though you had to use a glitch in U2)?

gdt

£28 for UC3 is a good deal right?

After buying Batman AC on console (got the PC after) for 30 quid, and it not lasting very long, I wanna be sure I'm getting my moneys worth.

It's definitely up there for GOTY...so...yesss? The SP isn't really all that long (about 8 hours) so if that's what you're measuring by...up to you really.

MP is fantastic.

twice ? chateau burning , and city getting slalowed by sand ? in the boat he says : " this can't get any worse " or "witch way is up". On chapter 11 , he says "open the door !"

First of all, spoilers. Secondly, even twice is once too many. (Same with "crap!" and "we gotta get outta here!") Thirdly, one must admit Uncharted 3 overdoes the concept of "the whole place is coming down" a little bit.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
First of all, spoilers. Secondly, even twice is once too many. (Same with "crap!" and "we gotta get outta here!") Thirdly, one must admit Uncharted 3 overdoes the concept of "the whole place is coming down" a little bit.

I've only passed Chateau, but I started rolling my eyes at how every other second
something would collapse underneath Drake, leading to yet another do-or-die moment
. I mean, they were just abusing the shit out of this mechanic. I don't remember it being this bad in the previous two games. Come on, Naughty Dog...

I've only passed Chateau, but I started rolling my eyes at how every other second
something would collapse underneath Drake, leading to yet another do-or-die moment
. I mean, they were just abusing the shit out of this mechanic. I don't remember it being this bad in the previous two games. Come on, Naughty Dog...

Very true. Just you wait until you get later in the game.

It's not frustrating or anything, just makes one roll one's eyes a bit after a while.

(Keeping this in context... game is still great. It's just a bit full of Uncharted'isms.)

JB1981

And also, is it just me or is the writing and dialogue far less witty?

I thought it was the wittiest game of them all. The exchanges between Drake/Cutter/Sully/Chloe and then Drake/Elena/Sully are the best and most humorous of the series. I agree about the aiming and the seemingly randomly generated enemies that spawn behind you off-screen. The encounter design is better in DF and AT.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This is kinda hard on the higher difficulties... even with the aim patch I don't feel too dialed in.

Make one mistake (often some glitchy thing with cover or whatever) and *bam* dead.

Satchel

Banned
Just ordered this for $64AU from EB's Mad Monday sale.

Cheapest I could find an Australian copy without waiting 1 week or 2 for postage from the US.

Looking forward to finishing the trilogy. Although I still have about 4 trophies I need to platinum number 2. Fucking crushing.

Also, anyone know a quick way to get 200 kills on the GAU?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I had the most epic turnover Plunder match ever. I'm searching for a Plunder game, and matchmaking places me in an ongoing match where the score was 4 for the villains and 0 for the heroes (the team I was put in). My first thought was to quit because of the score and because it was a party of high level legacy players, but I told myself i'd stick for 2 minutes. Well, what was originally supposed to be 2 minutes, turned into the remaining time of the match. I scored for my team within 3 minutes of me joining the match and here's where the most epic comeback began. I scored 3 more idols putting my total captured idols to 4 and one of my other team mates scored the final one! We ended up winning the match! :lol

Needless to say, the other team was PISSED. I couldn't stop fucking laughing. I wish I had access to the cinema file to upload it to YouTube, but if you join a game that's already in progress, you don't get a cinema file of that match. Total bummer!

Top Bottom