• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The same criticism also applies to UC2 so it confuses me that people hold it up as somehow doing a better job. It's about as coherently put together as The Mummy 2.

I'm playing it right now and it feels more coherent, so if you're going to tell me I should feel otherwise, you'll have to elaborate.

Maybe the word coherent is too vague. What I mean is the story and your travels follow a fairly linear and sensible path. You might point out that the ice cave, which I specifically praised, is actually kind of silly from a story standpoint, and I'd agree. Drake and Tenzin do a ton of work and endure extreme peril to find a dead guy that Shaffer could have just told them about. This doesn't bother me, however, because it's one of the most memorable parts of the game, and the dialogue/relationship with Tenzin is a nice change of pace.

Also, just because the same criticism applies to two things, does mean it applies to both in equal measure. So I can very reasonably hold up UC2 as doing a better job, even if I accept your assertion about its incoherence.

Uncharted 2 is quite coherent in terms of the path you travel.

The train is a standard narrative device (putting you in the middle of things). Classic move back in the past to a quiet beginning. Getting out of jail is handled deftly. Then you are in Borneo. This is where the only "jarring" move from place X to place Y happens: Borneo -> Nepal. After that, however, it's all connected and smooth.

Nepal city is thoroughly explored.

Then you end up on a train... in Nepal city... by traveling to that train gradually.

One of the best levels ever ensues, as scenery GRADUALLY changes from jungle to snow/mountains.

Finally the train crashes. You pick up where the train crashed. There are no breaks in the geography, still. You end up in the nearby village. You explore Heart of Ice which, fitting the story perfectly, is nearby.

You come back to the village. Still no random globe-trotting ever since arriving in Nepal. Finally you take some trucks to nearby (fitting into the story) cool-ass monastery. From there, you enter Shambala.

Uncharted 2 was masterful in the way it gradually moved you between varied locations; possibly more masterful than any other game before it.

Uncharted 3 is fine in this respect IMO. It's not as good however. There are more "now we're here!" moments, and the entire
Yemen -> shipyard/boats/cruiser -> Yemen
sequence is, let's face it, a detour mainly necessary for the action. And that's cool... but not quite as slick as Uncharted 2.

jackdoe

I'm playing it right now and it feels more coherent, so if you're going to tell me I should feel otherwise, you'll have to elaborate.

Maybe the word coherent is too vague. What I mean is the story and your travels follow a fairly linear and sensible path. You might point out that the ice cave, which I specifically praised, is actually kind of silly from a story standpoint, and I'd agree. Drake and Tenzin do a ton of work and endure extreme peril to find a dead guy that Shaffer could have just told them about. This doesn't bother me, however, because it's one of the most memorable parts of the game, and the dialogue/relationship with Tenzin is a nice change of pace.
I believe that Uncharted 2 feels more "coherent" because it only jumps locales three times. Uncharted 3 does it four times with London, France, Syria, and finally Yemen.

I personally enjoyed the game more than Uncharted 2, but I definitely feel the game doesn't really pick up until you get to Yemen (which is about halfway through the game). On the flipside, I don't feel Uncharted 2 really picked up until you got to Nepal, which was still fairly early on in the game. So I think that has a lot to do with a feeling of cohesion as well. It takes a shorter time for Uncharted 2 to really get into the heart of its story as opposed to Uncharted 3. Because once you get to Nepal and Yemen, there aren't any weird locale transitions.

The train is a standard narrative device (putting you in the middle of things). Classic move back in the past to a quiet beginning. Getting out of jail is handled deftly. Then you are in Borneo. This is where the only "jarring" move from place X to place Y happens: Borneo -> Nepal. After that, however, it's all connected and smooth.

Then you end up on a train... in Nepal city... by traveling to that train gradually.

One of the best levels ever ensues, as scenery GRADUALLY changes from jungle to snow/mountains.

Finally the train crashes. You pick up where the train crashed. There are no breaks in the geography, still. You end up in the nearby village. You explore Heart of Ice which, fitting the story perfectly, is nearby.

You come back to the village. Still no random globe-trotting ever since arriving in Nepal. Finally you take some trucks to nearby (fitting into the story) cool-ass monastery. From there, you enter Shambala.

Uncharted 2 was masterful in the way it gradually moved you between varied locations; possibly more masterful than any other game before it.

Uncharted 3 is fine in this respect IMO. It's not as good however. There are more "now we're here!" moments, and the entire
sequence is, let's face it, a detour mainly necessary for the action. And that's cool... but not quite as slick as Uncharted 2.
I completely agree with everything you said and is pretty much the point I was trying to make.

Guess who got his wallpaper used for commercial purpouses:

http://www.chipspain.com/es/

^the huge banner with several pages.

Or... in picture format:

oMofy.jpg

Ooooh, drama.

You know, it's not a bad thing if U3 doesn't reach the lofty heights as often as it's predecessor; U2 is a classic! Very few games, especially sequels, fire on all cylinders like that game did. It's hard to top that; U3 equals or betters it in many areas, and falls just short in others, but it's still an amazing ride. It can still stand on it's own as a classic game in the genre, for sure.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Stealth is effectiveit's just that you can't do stealth in entire areas

Drake animations ar eimproved .. he has different sets of animation considering where he is ( ground , sand , boat ) or how he feel ( normal , druges , tired , exhausted ) , drake now has animations for when he is running near corners and plenty more when near a crowd.

You can even see the benefits of teh new animation during melee.. it's much more dynamic and fluid than before and way more engaging.

Animations are definitly improved ...

When you can't stealth entire enemies and get spotted, they spawn a ton of reinforcements to swarm you again. With UC2, every time you took out an enemy you were making progress. It's a lazy, giant leap backwards for no reason.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
When you can't stealth entire enemies and get spotted, they spawn a ton of reinforcements to swarm you again. With UC2, every time you took out an enemy you were making progress. It's a lazy, giant leap backwards for no reason.

The blatant spawning in this game, which the developer doesn't even try to mask, is one of the biggest reasons that the combat scenarios aren't fun. Every encounter feels more like an endurance test than a carefully crafted or even believable combat scenario.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The thing that Uncharted 2 executes brilliantly is pacing. I can't think of another action-adventure-shooter-whatever that flows so well from one chapter to the next. It's an extraordinary accomplishment on Naughty Dog's part. It's a shame they weren't able to replicate the pacing with Uncharted 3.

Except that you can ..in multiples cases there are at LEAST 3 parts of the game that re totally stealthable ( and that are great fun when you do ) .

Dammit ennemies calling reinforcements ????!! What an outrage !!

And there are plenty of moments where you try to be stealthy but can't ( see gunfight before you board the train ) or the train sequence itself

Got the game a few days ago.

I feel comforted that i was not the only one that was frustrated with the combat.

PSN: lord_audie

for those looking to play MP

NeoUltima

Was just fucking around in single player today, but ended up going from Ch. 12 to completing the game in pretty much one sitting. I guess it counts as my 2nd and half playthrough lol.
Game is so 'goddamn' good.

The thing that Uncharted 2 executes brilliantly is pacing. I can't think of another action-adventure-shooter-whatever that flows so well from one chapter to the next. It's an extraordinary accomplishment on Naughty Dog's part. It's a shame they weren't able to replicate the pacing with Uncharted 3.

I appreciate the change with UC3 pace. That doesn't mean I think the game or pacing is better than 2 (I'm undecided).
But even if God declared UC2's pacing superior, I would be glad the pacing is different in UC3. I'd rather two great different things than two great identical things...if that makes sense.

KingK

Just played some multi, co-op, and a bit more of my Crushing playthrough today after taking a break for a month for Skyrim. Game is still so much fun. I just played through chapters 10-13 on crushing. Those water levels are still so goddamn amazing.

I think Skyrim would have edged out UC3 as my GOTY if it weren't for Bethesda's shitty lies and treatment of the PS3 version. As is, I think Uncharted 3 is going to be my GOTY.

With the other team at ND hard at work on TLOU, I'd like to see the U3 team move on to an ensemble cast spy/heist game. There have been far too many "almost there but not really" moments in U2 and U3 in that aspect, but I want to see them go all out with a 4-5 person group using great tech, and going on all sorts of high intensity, smartly designed missions. I'm watching Mission Impossible III, and Naughty Dog's version of this would be amazing. Except instead of focusing on a single character, the entire crew would have equal roles. Drake and company have been great, but I'd like to see them really let loose with a group of main characters that aren't questioning their lust for adventure, no weird "Drake's a mass murderer" disconnect, no supernatural stuff, no bullet sponges, more city levels, etc.

Just me?

KingK

With the other team at ND hard at work on TLOU, I'd like to see the U3 team move on to an ensemble cast spy/heist game. There have been far too many "almost there but not really" moments in U2 and U3 in that aspect, but I want to see them go all out with a 4-5 person group using great tech, and going on all sorts of high intensity, smartly designed missions. I'm watching Mission Impossible III, and Naughty Dog's version of this would be amazing. Except instead of focusing on a single character, the entire crew would have equal roles. Drake and company have been great, but I'd like to see them really let loose with a group of main characters that aren't questioning their lust for adventure, no weird "Drake's a mass murderer" disconnect, no supernatural stuff, no bullet sponges, more city levels, etc.

Just me?

Like a more realistic Sly 2/3? I'd be game. I've been really wanting ND to make a stealth game of some sort.

Emwitus

I think some people were dissapointed in uncharted 3 and retroactively lifting Uncharted 2 to absurd levels of "it was a perfect game". Waves and waves of enemies, random respawns especially toward the end of the game, awful final boss. Absurd pacing, starting ok, then not picking up until the nepal chapter, the stealth level(Need i say more), Boss character making cameos up until the last part of the game etc etc. My point is uncharted 2 had flaws....not the same as 3 but they were still their. Im fairly confident if we switched 3 for 2 in 2009 we would be having the same arguments.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Never thought about it, but this is extremely true. No wonder the story always felt coherent and smooth.

I think some people were dissapointed in uncharted 3 and retroactively lifting Uncharted 2 to absurd levels of "it was a perfect game". Waves and waves of enemies, random respawns especially toward the end of the game, awful final boss. Absurd pacing, starting ok, then not picking up until the nepal chapter, the stealth level(Need i say more), Boss character making cameos up until the last part of the game etc etc. My point is uncharted 2 had flaws....not the same as 3 but they were still their. Im fairly confident if we switched 3 for 2 in 2009 we would be having the same arguments.

It wasn't a perfect game, but it was as close as it gets for a single-player action game.

"Waves and waves of enemies" were fun.

"Random respawns" -- no idea what that means. None of it was random... it was quite consistent. At any rate there was never a feeling of being spawned behind.

"Awful final boss" -- no argument that it was a meh boss. Not awful though... pretty standard. Just out of place given the rest of the game. Uncharted 3 was an improvement in this no doubt.

"Absurd pacing" -- pacing was just about perfect in Uncharted 2.

"Stealth level" was a VERY nice tutorial level full of atmosphere, with the only real problem that horrible one room around the fountain.

"Boss character making cameos up until the last part of the game" -- no idea what this means. The boss character was heavily involved in the story throughout.

It had flaws, yes. Better than U3 though. If the order of the two games were flipped, we'd love U3 and then be freaking out how much of an improvement U2 was anyway.

hsukardi

I completed the game after a hiatus, being unhappy with some ridiculous game design.

LOTS OF SPOILERS BELOW.

I'm very surprised at how unpolished the plot, scenario design and dialogue is. And I mean, stuff like, first reconciling with Sulley on the truck but they don't talk or say anything at all? They just move on to the next scene as if they've never parted at all?

Even reconciliation with Elena was kind of awkward.

There's a ton of very weird narrative gaps that are reflective of either (a) lack of attention to detail (b) game centered upon set pieces and not narrative. It leaves a bad taste.

The last part of the game was pretty good. Final scene where it was all collapsing was a technical feat, looked great.

UC3 is not pushing the bar of strong narratives in games, game is relatively uneven. If setting the November 11th date was what led to this, they definitely should've spent more time. Game could've used a couple more months.

jackdoe

There's spoiler tags, you know?

Anyway, I have to say, melee is definitely more fun on Crushing. There are still those weird camera angles at time, but it is much more exciting without button prompts (and the fact that Brutes can kill you in two hits).

Maffis

So apparently there were hits at The Last of Us in this game? Is that true?

Yes. In the beginning of the game there lies a newspaper on the bar desk which talks about some kind of infestation that baffles scientists. There is also supposed to be a painting with the text "Last of Us" on it somewhere in the desert part of the game.

I completed the game after a hiatus, being unhappy with some ridiculous game design.

LOTS OF SPOILERS BELOW.
I'm very surprised at how unpolished the plot, scenario design and dialogue is. And I mean, stuff like, first reconciling with Sulley on the truck but they don't talk or say anything at all? They just move on to the next scene as if they've never parted at all?
They do talk , drake talk , sully says that he was sure that drake was dead. Drake even wants to go back .. But then sully says that they need to stop them because they are up to no good . They do talk ..

Even reconciliation with Elena was kind of awkward.
If it wasn't clear enough by the ending, they are married but in a cold state ..probably because drake lost his ring and was more focused on proving that DRAKE lied about his journey.
They do love each other .. so the ackward moment is the result of them no having enough time to explain themselves ( as they tried to do twice in chapter 11 )
There's a ton of very weird narrative gaps that are reflective of either (a) lack of attention to detail (b) game centered upon set pieces and not narrative. It leaves a bad taste.
Details were there , most of them can be deduced if you pay attention. Some are confusing ( talbot getting shot for example ) but nothing that can't be explained or deduced ... Not putting every plot piece in front of the player is not a lack of attention to detail.

Chorazin

Man, with all the love here for this game I hate to come in and bad mouth it...but I just didn't have much fun with this one. After the shipyard it felt like too much combat over exploration, with enemies still taking way too many bullets to die, and every combat felt like a chore to get to the next set peice.

I felt really bad swearing at the stupid combat and not having much fun while my GF watched, since she got it for my birthday. :(

Basch

I thought my first playthrough of Uncharted 2 was uneven. My second playthrough, I saw a brilliantly realized and expertly paced adventure full of drama and cliched but effective character development. UC3 seemed more seamless than UC2 on my first playthrough for some reason. The last 10 chapters felt like one of the most seamless narratives I've played since UC2 or Arkham Asylum.

I honestly don't understand the pacing criticism. I wasn't drawn into UC2 'til the last half of Borneo, and that was only because they picked up the trail to Shambhala. After that, there were brief bits of great gameplay, with the climax being the helicopter part. Then the game dropped to a crawl in terms of story (and character development) until the light puzzle with the phurba dagger. Again, just like UC3, the last 10 or so chapters were pure win and masterfully crafted.

Just give it some time. I appreciated the opening chapters of UC2 more on my second/third playthrough two years later. UC3 will probably play out the exact same way. Matter of fact, UC1 didn't hit its stride until later in the game either (when you find Elena after the crash). Seems to be a trend with Naughty Dog's games.

I think a lot of the disconnect in this one came from Drake trying to find Sully in the shipyard based on Rameses' bluff. The fact that he didn't find him led players to believe they were on a wild goose chase. Is this what the problem was for those that didn't enjoy it? I mean, besides the slow start.

EDIT: Also, let me add that the game I hold in the highest regard in terms of pacing is God of War III. Absolutely perfect. I couldn't name a single flaw.

ZeroRay

I didn't mind the pacing of UC3 so much as I hated it's shallowness on the combat (or platforming) side.

The game gives you lots of options to approach combat true, but only one or two are good enough to work on the hardest difficulties. Both UC1 and 2 had way better designed encounters. The shipyard was such wasted potential due to spawns. I did appreciate the puzzles but I wish there were less block/journal puzzles and more of the type of stuff you had in chapter 11. Also disappointing was the lack of a traversal section like the U-Boat/Ice Caves.

Also the "cinematic" nature of this one feels more forced than "seamless" as it was in UC2. Too many times you're interrupted to look at something happening.

In the end, UC3 will probably hold up the least in the future as its main strength is due more to flash than substance. UC1 is my most replayed game this gen (beginning to end) and it succeeds in imitating its source material, easily digestible pulp fiction, very well. UC2 is more like the movie that is 3 hours long so a lot of times you just pop it in to watch you're favorite part, but the entire package itself is a masterpiece too. I appreciated the way this one handled its 2 halves but the meat during the second half isn't something I can enjoy too much because of combat design mistakes.

I may seem very critical, but I still found UC3 to be a great game, just not up to snuff with UC2 and despite having amazing set pieces, not having as good combat as UC1.

Basch

I didn't mind the pacing of UC3 so much as I hated it's shallowness on the combat (or platforming) side.

The game gives you lots of options to approach combat true, but only one or two are good enough to work on the hardest difficulties. Both UC1 and 2 had way better designed encounters. The shipyard was such wasted potential due to spawns. I did appreciate the puzzles but I wish there were less block/journal puzzles and more of the type of stuff you had in chapter 11. Also disappointing was the lack of a traversal section like the U-Boat/Ice Caves.

Also the "cinematic" nature of this one feels more forced than "seamless" as it was in UC2. Too many times you're interrupted to look at something happening.

In the end, UC3 will probably hold up the least in the future as its main strength is due more to flash than substance. UC1 is my most replayed game this gen (beginning to end) and it succeeds in imitating its source material, easily digestible pulp fiction, very well. UC2 is more like the movie that is 3 hours long so a lot of times you just pop it in to watch you're favorite part, but the entire package itself is a masterpiece too. I appreciated the way this one handled its 2 halves but the meat during the second half isn't something I can enjoy too much because of combat design mistakes.

I may seem very critical, but I still found UC3 to be a great game, just not up to snuff with UC2 and despite having amazing set pieces, not having as good combat as UC1.

That's pretty fair. I guess I didn't notice any differences in terms of gameplay, but I did note the forced cinematic sections. But it's fairly standard in most games these days. UC2 was truly an exception. The most forced section I think came from The Chateau. I didn't note any other occurrence afterwards. I liked the bits like the sinking ship and the cargo plan as well as the caravan because we were constantly in control, which was very UC2-ish. Besides that though, hopefully Naughty Dog is taking in the feedback as I wouldn't mind fixing the spawn issues or more traversal aspects. I didn't think they were really needed, but I do love me some good platforming.

Satchel

Banned
EB emailed me yesterday to tell me my copy is on it's way. Hopefully I have it tomorrow.

I'm hoping 3 is better than 2, because for me, 2 was a step down from 1.

While 2 beat out 1 on a technical level, it was just missing that certain something that made the first Uncharted so special. I just don't think the levels were as fun to play and explore, and were simply there to funnel you to the next scene.

While I still enjoyed Uncharted 2, I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as 1.

Hopefully 3 is more like 1 and less like 2.

EB emailed me yesterday to tell me my copy is on it's way. Hopefully I have it tomorrow.

I'm hoping 3 is better than 2, because for me, 2 was a step down from 1.

While 2 beat out 1 on a technical level, it was just missing that certain something that made the first Uncharted so special. I just don't think the levels were as fun to play and explore, and were simply there to funnel you to the next scene.

While I still enjoyed Uncharted 2, I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as 1.

Hopefully 3 is more like 1 and less like 2.

That's a first, I thought it was unanimous the first sucked & the 2nd one was better all around.
There was practically nothing to explore in Uncharted 1 anyway.

gdt

Damn, when are the new (old) maps out? They're taking their sweet time.

I'm thinking of going Legacy....but I don't want to lose my booster levels :/.

Basch

That's a first, I thought it was unanimous the first sucked & the 2nd one was better all around.

The original had the best story and the most endearing characters. The gameplay was pretty BOSS because of all the nice gun porn segments. Some levels were actually pretty hard on crushing and by beating them you felt like a God. The writing was top-notch, and IMO I liked the tropical setting the best of the three. There's many reasons why this would be reasonable.

I think they are all of similar quality. Each one brings something new to the series that I cherish just as much as the last. Naughty Dog is one of the only studios I have this fixation with. I think it's because of the character/story focused games as "experiences," which is a design philosophy I adhere too, and apparently Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra do as well.

Dragon

Banned

The first one doesn't suck. I think legitimately the moments in the Nazi bunker underground were some of my favorite from early this gen. I think Uncharted 2 was a step up technically and with the character interactions to the point where it's overshadowed one. Now that my playthrough of Uncharted 3 has slowly settled into the background I think I'd agree that the story of 1 is better than 3.

cryptic

I remember reading in an interview back in the day regarding Jak 2 I believe, that Naughty Dog was really trying to set up the game where everything felt natural and none of the platforming elements didn't mesh with the world and give a "gamey" feel. I think they also spoke about being conscious of how transitions are very important in regards to creating a "real" world.
It's funny how I kind of brushed that off back then as a neat little thing to do but it's something that when you look for it, and notice it, you can't help but notice how polished their games are.
It make's me wonder though, is that a result of proper planning and linearity that make's it easy to stay in control or are they good enough to pull off an open world game with ambition. I'd love to see them make The Last of Us more nonlinear and still have their trademark tightness, but maybe that's why some people think they failed with Jak 2.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I never thought UC1 was all that special but I recall gaf raving over it. I loved 2 and finally thought the series deserved the credit. Then back to not so much with 3. :p

So this is basically lining up an Unkarted to be the best game ever.

Basch

I never thought UC1 was all that special but I recall gaf raving over it. I loved 2 and finally thought the series deserved the credit. Then back to not so much with 3. :p

So this is basically lining up an Unkarted to be the best game ever.

ah... those were the good old days. Back when the world rarely cared about reviews, they came to GAF. The feedback we gave on that game was better than half the write-ups existent for any game at that point. Yeah, we were fairly obsessed.

Marco1

Started playing this last night and it amazes me how ND get the PS3 to produce textures like this game has.
So hard to believe that the PS3 mostly fails in multi-platform comparisons yet can give us a game such as this.
It makes you wonder if Sony only allows certain companies to use hidden power switch on the PS3.
I'm enjoying this so much more than gears3.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I have been spawning inside the scenery a lot these days. Happened a few times on Museum and Molten Ruins maps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEjR9eNgJ3M

At least you don't stay stuck for long but yesterday some dude got behind the wall in Desert Village right next to the Heroes plunder chest but he didn't get killed by the game, it was during the team objective and he was the marked man. I managed to kill him eventually with a grenade though. But we lost because it took bloody ages to get to him. :(

Also, I keep randomly getting kicked from the game and getting message like "You were removed from the game" for no reason at all. I didn't TK anyone.

The game needs another patch!

Just finished it for the first time. 8 hours and 40 minutes on Hard. Kinda disappointed that the game is smaller then U2, and didn't really like how Cloe and Elena more more like guest appearances that get completely forgotten. Other then that, great game. Better puzzles, better set pieces and the new melee system is great.

Now for Crushing!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Jumped into the multiplayer for the first time after playing it for a few hours in the beta.

Why does every single game have to be a fucking grindfest to get to the actual game?

I hope this trope dies and is replaced by actual good multiplayer design like Counterstrike, StarCraft or Quake 3 where everyone is on an equal playing field at the start of a round.

Having read nothing about multiplayer since the beta was out I can tell based on 15 minutes that the single shot gun is the most powerful gun in the game. "How did you find out this extremely hard to spot thing" you might ask and I will tell you: Everyone except for one person that was above level 70 was using it.

I guess the game still has coop. Too bad.

jett

D-Member
Jumped into the multiplayer for the first time after playing it for a few hours in the beta.

Why does every single game have to be a fucking grindfest to get to the actual game?

I hope this trope dies and is replaced by actual good multiplayer design like Counterstrike, StarCraft or Quake 3 where everyone is on an equal playing field at the start of a round.

Having read nothing about multiplayer since the beta was out I can tell based on 15 minutes that the single shot gun is the most powerful gun in the game. "How did you find out this extremely hard to spot thing" you might ask and I will tell you: Everyone except for one person that was above level 70 was using it.

I guess the game still has coop. Too bad.

the shotgun is garbage, that's what the shotgun is. nothing like the godly shotgun of UC2. overall the power weapons in UC3 are actually more or less useless.

sad fact of the matter is that the starting long rifle, the AK47, is pretty bad. You'll be doing crappy until you unlock the M9 at level 15 or so. Then the game will get satisfying.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
the shotgun is garbage, that's what the shotgun is. nothing like the godly shotgun of UC2. overall the power weapons in UC3 are actually more or less useless.

I looked it up. I was talking about the FAL I think. It's a weapon that only shoots one bullet. You have to press several times to shoot more than once. Unlike the 3-shot burst gun which was in UC2 or the full-auto weapons.

Doesn't matter which specific gun it is, it's the design change from picking up weapons in the game (which is a reason I liked multiplayer in Uncharted 2) to having powerful (unlockable) guns from the beginning is what's annoying about this.

Even games such as Call of Duty that pretty much popularized this retardation of competitive multiplayer design have backpedaled by giving you all the good guns in the beginning.

jett

D-Member
I looked it up. I was talking about the FAL I think. It's a weapon that only shoots one bullet. You have to press several times to shoot more than once. Unlike the 3-shot burst gun or the full-auto stuff.

Oh the FAL. Yeah the FAL is deadly in the hands of a skilled player, it does seem a little overpowered.

sad fact of the matter is that the starting long rifle, the AK47, is pretty bad. You'll be doing crappy until you unlock the M9 at level 15 or so. Then the game will get satisfying.

Jett you be crazy! The shotgun is still awesome. Not godly like U2 but still a strong force to be reckoned with. Anytime I see a SPAS laying around I always pick that baby up.

Also AK > M9

Come at me bro....

jackdoe

Just beat the game on Crushing and I can safely say that any future playthroughs of the game will be on Crushing, unlike Uncharted 2, which I refuse to ever be subjected to again. Unlike Uncharted 2, I wasn't ripping out my hair near the end of the game as
Djinn on Crushing are so easily disposed with weapons that are readily available to you AND they only occupy a small fraction of the game as opposed to those damn abominable snowmen.

The fact that I don't have to glitch the final boss to beat it is a plus as well.

jackdoe

There are literally like 3-4
snowmen
encounters in Uncharted 2... and only the first one is difficult.
Actually, I counted the ones that occurred with Tenzin and Flynn as well so my rough estimate is around five to six. But you're right about the first one being the most difficult. The others are just tedious, for lack of a better word.

But the final boss on Crushing for Uncharted 2 just isn't fun if you don't cheese it and break the AI. I died twenty times before I just said fuck it and locked the boss in a grapple and melee routine. On the other hand, I had a blast with the final boss in Uncharted 3 in Crushing which is opposite to how I felt on Hard (I thought he was boring on hard).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh the FAL. Yeah the FAL is deadly in the hands of a skilled player, it does seem a little overpowered.

I was using the FAL before my last Legacy and I can assure you that it doesn't take a skilled player to spam the trigger and kill the guy with the AK before he takes three shots at me.

Top Bottom