• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Actually, I counted the ones that occurred with Tenzin and Flynn as well so my rough estimate is around five to six. But you're right about the first one being the most difficult. The others are just tedious, for lack of a better word.

I don't like the first encounter with the blue-men at all, but the last one is actually kind of cool because you can hang back and let some of the heavies do your work for you. It does a good job making you feel like you're crashing a party that's already going on in that the enemies don't ALL start attacking you the instant you start firing on them.

Actually, I counted the ones that occurred with Tenzin and Flynn as well so my rough estimate is around five to six. But you're right about the first one being the most difficult. The others are just tedious, for lack of a better word.

Well, sure, but the Tenzin/Flynn ones aren't really... fights... I mean, they're kind of events, really.

Pro-tip:

Hoard the crossbows. After the first guy, you should *never* have to use any other type of weapon against them. And with the crossbow, they go down in 2 shots (Hard/Crushing) in any part of the body.

Then they're not tedious.

But the final boss on Crushing for Uncharted 2 just isn't fun if you don't cheese it and break the AI. I died twenty times before I just said fuck it and locked the boss in a grapple and melee routine. On the other hand, I had a blast with the final boss in Uncharted 3 in Crushing which is opposite to how I felt on Hard (I thought he was boring on hard).

No argument about the boss in 2. He sucks. I maintain he's nowhere near the horror of something like RAAM... he's a standard boss, but it doesn't fit the game very well.

jackdoe

Well, sure, but the Tenzin/Flynn ones aren't really... fights... I mean, they're kind of events, really.

Pro-tip:

Hoard the crossbows. After the first guy, you should *never* have to use any other type of weapon against them. And with the crossbow, they go down in 2 shots (Hard/Crushing) in any part of the body.

Then they're not tedious.

No argument about the boss in 2. He sucks. I maintain he's nowhere near the horror of something like RAAM... he's a standard boss, but it doesn't fit the game very well.
Oh yeah, I definitely know about the crossbows and after that first nightmare encounter, it becomes less nightmarish. But even with the crossbows, I still found it tedious as I was locked to one set of weapons. With Uncharted 3, I could use a wide arsenal and use weapons that I don't frequently use. Like the grenade launcher.

And I think the boss in Uncharted 2 is worse than Raam. I managed to beat Raam in three tries on Insane by myself (ironically it took me twenty tries on Hardcore as Dom was extra stupid).

And I think the boss in Uncharted 2 is worse than Raam. I managed to beat Raam in three tries on Insane by myself (ironically it took me twenty tries on Hardcore as Dom was extra stupid).

...Interesting. It took me >10 tries on CASUAL. But more than that, there are way too many variables outside of your control in that fight, and nowhere near enough space. Hate that boss. At least the U2 guy can just be led into a simple circular pattern with no other variables affecting anything.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Jett you be crazy! The shotgun is still awesome. Not godly like U2 but still a strong force to be reckoned with. Anytime I see a SPAS laying around I always pick that baby up.

Also AK > M9

Come at me bro....
I agree. The shotguns aren't worthless in competitive modes. The SPAS one in particular is pretty deadly and the sewed off shotgun is also good at getting kills. I like the way the shotguns are at 3 because the SPAS one in UC2 was fucking bullshit.

The shotgun however is WORTHLESS in co-op, though.

And yes, the AK is better than the M9 to me. Navarro's AK <3 <3 <3

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played in a while, but the M9 with RoF is godly. I used to love the AK with Accuracy mod, but M9 RoF will reward you with many kills if you can master its erratic recoil.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It's too easy to get kills with the ROF mod. It's really not that bad to control the recoil once you use it in a few matches, IMO. Personally, the accuracy mods don't feel like they add much of anything (exception being the FAL because it'll always auto aim the person), so I prefer clip size + max ammo for any long range gun if I'm using Weapon Expert. If I'm not, I roll with Navarro's AK, which is so good. For the M9, I'm a fan of Flynn's.

Flynn's G-MAL is fucking awesome too. <3 <3 <3

Anyone try Cutter's KAL-7? It's actually pretty fucking awesome because you can actually AIM with it!

Darkatomz

I was using the FAL before my last Legacy and I can assure you that it doesn't take a skilled player to spam the trigger and kill the guy with the AK before he takes three shots at me.
Not true. I'm not great with the FAL at all. Better with the Dragon, at all ranges.

It's a cheap weapon if you can use it well, but to completely say that the gun takes no skill is just a farcry from the truth.

Anyways, I'll see you guys in a month.

iLLmAtlc

I've been using the FAL as my main gun since before the patch and honestly I can say it's too powerful now. Before the blindfire could actually keep FAL users in check but now with the stopping power and blindfire nerfing there are very few ways you can beat them. If you get caught in a mid-range battle in the open with someone who can aim reasonably well you're going to die, I don't think there should be a weapon that could dominate all mid-range battles like that.

I'm not sure how you could go about nerfing it. What about stopping FAL users from using Fleet Foot? Most users seem to have FF as their 1st booster and I think a G-MAL/M9 with FF against a FAL without probably stands a much better chance.

I worked so hard to get Talbot's FAL so I'm still using it these days but I try to have a little honour system to it. I don't use it with FF and if I'm in a game with a bunch of low level players I use another gun completely. However I will use it with FF if there's a party with more than one player using FAL+FF. I'm already handicapped because I have to play against a party by myself so I don't want to give them that advantage over me too.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
It's a cheap weapon if you can use it well, but to completely say that the gun takes no skill is just a farcry from the truth.
It really doesn't take skill. The only skill I can see is when you try zooming in with the FAL, in which case NO one ever zooms in with it because it's total ass and has the 'recoil' everyone loves to throw around to make it sound balanced. Add in Fleet Foot which is what 99% of these FAL users use and it makes it easier.

I want ND to make an experiment where they'll treat the FAL like the Dragon Sniper (where it automatically scopes in) to see if the FF + FAL combination remains broken or if it fixes it. I think that'd be interesting.

It really doesn't take skill. The only skill I can see is when you try zooming in with the FAL, in which case NO one ever zooms in with it because it's total ass and has the 'recoil' everyone loves to throw around to make it sound balanced. Add in Fleet Foot which is what 99% of these FAL users use and it makes it easier.

I want ND to make an experiment where they'll treat the FAL like the Dragon Sniper (where it automatically scopes in) to see if the FF + FAL combination remains broken or if it fixes it. I think that'd be interesting.

Please don't suggest such things. As much as I hate FAL+Fleet Foot users I don't want any gun using an auto zoom. I'm so sad because I can't use the Sniper Rifle anymore. Its not that I didn't use the zoom function but I hate constantly being in that view. I'd rather aim my crosshair in third person, line up my shot and then zoom in for the kill.

Was the sniper riffle really broken in U2? No. Nobody ever complained about it.

leng jai

Okay after listening to the OST in full it is the front runner in my game soundtrack of the year. Skyrim is close but I haven't received it yet.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Is there a place where you can watch all of the cut scenes straight without watching them chapter by chapter?

Was the sniper riffle really broken in U2? No. Nobody ever complained about it.

The sniper was fine until ND fucked the game up with 1.05.

It was a power weapon that took skill to use. 10 rounds, 1 shot to the head, 2 shots to the torso, and 3 anywhere else. Then 1.05 came along and turned it into a 1-hit-kill ANYWHERE -- and I do mean anywhere. See that guy behind cover with his toe sticking out? Bam! 1-hit-kill.

Then, after the backlash/hate from 1.05, they tried to fix the game and the sniper now holds 6 shots, 1 shot to the head/torso, and 2 shots anywhere else with a slowed firing rate.

The sniper pre-1.05 was perfect (as was so much else...); somewhat easy to use but difficult to master, you had to aim well to get any kills with it.

I don't know what the fuck they did to the sniper in U3, who the fuck designed it, or who the fuck approved it (goes for both the Dragon and Tbolt). You can't see shit, you can't track shit, you can barely hit shit. I've had the dot right over someone and missed multiple times.

Their biggest mistake was letting players spawn with a sniper; on maps this small, any sniper should be a power weapon only. By making it part of a loadout though, they had to screw with it in some way to "balance" it.

rdrr gnr

Just finished the game a few moments ago. I haven't read up on what the general consensus for this game has been, but I'd say it was right in line with my expectations.

The combat was downgrade in this game. Lots of "Where the fuck am I being shot from?" and "Why did I just die?" moments. I don't think the core gameplay is engaging enough that ND can just keep iterating on the same core mechanics without adding something new.

The absolute lowest point of the game has to be the
two ship levels.
Seriously. WHAT. THE. FUCK. Incredibly frustrating.

Aside from the AA issues, the graphics were absolutely amazing. As was the music and the pacing. I usually hate non-gameplay sections, but this game did it well.

The story itself was forgettable and a non-entity. The ending was abrupt and unsatisfying.

I could go on, but whatever. My backlog is calling.

8/10
Not trolling.

gdt

Anybody playing now? I am, I will be for a bit. Hop on and we'll party up.

gdt5016, put gaf somewhere in the message.

Playing though UC3 again still fantastic.

The
The Ship graveyard
Is still one of the best Uncharted levels.

Agreed. I just wish they'd managed to weave it into the narrative a bit better. It felt like this odd diversion for the sake of it
especially having Drake wash ashore right by town he'd been in

KingK

Playing though UC3 again still fantastic.

The
The Ship graveyard
Is still one of the best Uncharted levels.

One of the best levels (or series of levels) in any action game, imo. It's just so damn good.

I agree with the general criticism that the pacing in UC3 is inferior to 2, but goddamn the second half of the game really makes up for it in my eyes. Playing through my crushing run right now and just got past the
ship graveyard
and I still think I prefer 3 over 2 ever so slightly.

Loudninja

Agreed. I just wish they'd managed to weave it into the narrative a bit better. It felt like this odd diversion for the sake of it
True but it all good, I consider it a side quest :p

One of the best levels (or series of levels) in any action game, imo. It's just so damn good.

I agree with the general criticism that the pacing in UC3 is inferior to 2, but goddamn the second half of the game really makes up for it in my eyes. Playing through my crushing run right now and just got past the
ship graveyard
and I still think I prefer 3 over 2 ever so slightly.
Yeah UC3 to me is the best in the series.

dralla

If you watch the behind the scenes they flat out say they had that area designed before the story was finished. It feels out of place because of it.

gdt

I do 28-7, and we still lose.

tumblr_lmm3edWoLK1qh55zko1_400.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Because its awesome.

The random spawning enemies that magically appear out of thin air kind of bring it down a bit... still a very neat area to have a combat encounter.

I think they threw too much shit at you though. Heavies, turrets, RPG's, snipers, endless spawns, etc...

Massa

The random spawning enemies that magically appear out of thin air kind of bring it down a bit... still a very neat area to have a combat encounter.

I think they threw too much shit at you though. Heavies, turrets, RPG's, snipers, endless spawns, etc...

That's UC3 combat design in a nutshell.

Loudninja

Eh no its not,I never felt anything was unfair.

i played this game 3 times ..each time in did this section totally differently . So many options , so many way to sneak, or to go rambo ..trully a very incredible set .
Yep so many ways you can attack that level.

One thing I like is that water is not instant death just another tactic you can use.

jackdoe

Eh no its not,I never felt anything was unfair.
There were definitely some unfair moments in the game, like
the cargo plane, the cruise ship, and the sand storm
. But the
shipyard
definitely wasn't one of them. It was wide enough that it encouraged you to constantly be on the move, either swimming or jumping from ship to ship AND it gave you a ton of power weapons to even the odds. The first time I played it, I hated it, but that was because I had the wrong mindset. Turtling is not the way to play this game, especially with the new emphasis on melee.

Ship Graveyard
is one of the best levels of the whole game.

How anyone can not like that level. So many variables. Makes you feel like such a bad ass.

Evolved1

pretty much.

Eh those guys are really easy to take out, the ones in UC2 was way way worst.

Nothing to do with combat in UC2 was worse that UC3. I prefer UC3 overall, but it's not because of the combat. UC2 was far more interesting and better designed in that regard.

Frankly, from a studio like Naughty Dog, who I love, I thought some of their work in 3 was amateurish. No tact. No subtlety... just... blech. all over the place. everywhere. As far as combat.

Ship Graveyard

How anyone can not like that level. So many variables. Makes you feel like such a bad ass.

I am neutral with it...but I do remember getting hit almost everywhere anytime I try to be on the move

I felt more trapped than ever, and every enemy had godly aim except me, because ND decided that I should start the level with only a basic pistol or semi-auto.

This was on hard

gdt

Damn nice. I went 15-2 today and just crushed it. Than the next game I went 1-11 :/

I'm going to add you later, this is the most i've played a multi game since NHL 10 and CS. I'M HOOKED! Who bought the maps, I need to get on that.

Yeah, I'm about at 70 hours of MP. Definitely the most time I've ever spent in multi. That's 43 hours MP, the rest co-op.

Evolved1

Ship Graveyard

Aspects of it were really great... the openess, the swimming. But it was heavy handed. And you can't really play it any way you want. It funnels you to a specific point. And doesn't do a very good job making it clear where that point is. And you have to get there to progress. Otherwise enemies spawn indefinitely. Often right fucking behind you, after you cleared out that very section.

One you know what to do, and how they are coming at you... it's not terribly difficult (though there's potential for some cheap deaths) and you can mess around with it a little bit.

But lets not pretend there's freedom to play it any way you want. You have to get up there to that spot or the enemies just keep coming... forever.

I consider endless respawns bad design. And in a semi tactical, cover based shooter... spawning enemies out of thin air right behind the player on a boat he just cleared is LAME.

gdt

I've become some sort of unholy creation of destruction when I have a T-Bolt in my hands. Getting better all the time.

gdt

They should really fix how Hi-5s work in multi, it's a major pain to line it up.

Basically, when you do a hi-5, if you buddy does it close to you it should happen. Not when you're touching noses.

Aspects of it were really great... the openess, the swimming. But it was heavy handed. And you can't really play it any way you want. It funnels you to a specific point. And doesn't do a very good job making it clear where that point is. And you have to get there to progress. Otherwise enemies spawn indefinitely. Often right fucking behind you, after you cleared out that very section.

One you know what to do, and how they are coming at you... it's not terribly difficult (though there's potential for some cheap deaths) and you can mess around with it a little bit.

But lets not pretend there's freedom to play it any way you want. You have to get up there to that spot or the enemies just keep coming... forever.

I consider endless respawns bad design. And in a semi tactical, cover based shooter... spawning enemies out of thin air right behind the player on a boat he just cleared is LAME.

So much wrong in this post, it's not even funny.

I played through that level at least 4 times on Hard and Crushing and tackled it a completely different way every time. Also, has it been proven that there is "infinite respawning" or is this just an assumption people are making?

Top Bottom