• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Shtof

So, with the promotional videos showing Drake in a room full of rather small spiders, I'd like to know from someone who completed the game if there are any giant spiders in the game. And by giant spiders I'm thinking bigger than those in the trailers. If it's a spoiler, just send me a PM, I need to know. Major arachnophobiac here.

Shtof

GlamFM said:
Fistfights are basically QTEs.

Def. a lot more shooting - at least in the parts that I played so far.
I loved the melee system in Uncharted 2, does it work anything like that in 3?

Pranay

Would love to know more about melee system from those who have finished the game !

I dont think its totally QTE + can we throw a gun to the enemy and thhen punch him like in the ign videos ? :D

Shtof

The perfect Dark said:
http://fanserviceftw.com/gallery/_images/8696fa820d0275f4198af6c59aaacfb4/4504%20-%20animated_gif%20spider%20trap.gif

Sry...don't spoil...;)
What did I spoil, now again?

GreekWolf

GlamFM said:
I´m 3 hours in and a little disappointed.

For some reason it does not grab me as the second one did.

The gameplay has not evolved at all. I don´t like the shooting part and the platforming has gotten so easy that it could as well just be a cutscene.

I still loooove the story, but right now I´m forcing myself through the gameplay parts to push the story forward.

Still a great game, but I expected a little more. Maybe because the jump from 1 to 2 was so big.
This is almost exactly how I feel about Arkham City. I absolutely loved the first game, and consider it to be one of the best titles this generation. Completed it from start to finish several times.

However, I just haven't found anything fun about AC. It's missing all the magic, charisma and sense of discovery of Asylum. Man, I reaaaaally hope this won't be the case with UC3. It's my last remaining anticipated release this year, along with Skyrim.

Clott

I will be getting my copy on Saturday from a mom and pop store in NYC!

I can't freaking wait, even Demon Souls will have to take a break then.

Samus4145

I have a first play video ready to upload. Have to add the commentary or just may upload as is. I cut out the puzzles, cut scenes and some pieces of one of the chapters since some parts need to be experienced.

Sinthetic

GreekWolf said:
This is almost exactly how I feel about Arkham City. I absolutely loved the first game, and consider it to be one of the best titles this generation. Completed it from start to finish several times.

However, I just haven't found anything fun about AC. It's missing all the magic, charisma and sense of discovery of Asylum. Man, I reaaaaally hope this won't be the case with UC3. It's my last remaining anticipated release this year, along with Skyrim.

Exactly how I felt about AC, fell flat as Hell for me. I totally DOUBT UC3 will turn out the same.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Deadly Cyclone said:
So, Uncharted 2 was a show-off game for me. I showed it to my parents, and just about any non-gamer I could. The only thing that killed me was the opening beach bar cutscene and the bottle Drake drinks out of and how bad it was modeled. Please tell me the opening to this game looks flawless, and doesn't have anything that sticks out like that!

:p

Wasn't that cutscene, like many in Uncharted 1 and 2, pre-rendered and not in-engine?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
In less then one hour i'll start Drake's 3rd adventure. *runs*

Sn4ke_911 said:
In less then one hour i'll start Drake's 3rd adventure. *runs*

n7zjQ.jpg

Raonak

Banned
EatChildren said:
Wasn't that cutscene, like many in Uncharted 1 and 2, pre-rendered and not in-engine?

Well, all uncharted cutscenes are prerecorded. Using mostly the same assets, except having better character models. Still didn't stop them from having a low polly bottle.

Finished U1 again. That game is a lot harder than I remember. Had to switch to easy because of the armoured assholes. also died from the platforming a few times.
Geat game, gonna start 2 tommorow. i miss chloe.

for anyone finished U3, do we see a good amount of elena, sully and chloe? looking at the trailers, it seems like nate's lone wolfing it :(

Raonak said:
Well, all uncharted cutscenes are prerecorded. Using mostly the same assets, except having better character models. Still didn't stop them from having a low polly bottle.

A low-poly bottle that you don't see for the rest of the game ;)

Raonak

Banned
OneMoreQuestion said:
A low-poly bottle that you don't see for the rest of the game ;)

No, actually, you probably see it littered throughout the nepal warzone. the same bottle with the same amount of pollys. :| .
The prop modeler probably got lazy and used the same ingame bottle for the cutscene.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
GlamFM said:
Fistfights are basically QTEs.
Hmm, several people who played the game have said that that the brawling has received an overhaul that makes it not be a QTE like it was before.

Raonak said:
Not quite all, but most. That one definitely was, yes. It bugged me that the bottle wasn't transparent, but then they'd have to animate the liquid inside which they probably didn't want.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EatChildren said:

The cutscene was recorded in-engine, it's just not rendered in real-time in the game proper. So, yes, the cutscene is pre-rendered, but was created within Naughty Dog's game engine. In fact, as far as Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves are concerned (I'm not familiar with the development history of Drake's Deception), every pre-rendered cutscene was rendered within Naughty Dog's Uncharted engine.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
rhino4evr said:
I heard the melee is more QTE focused, not less. It's also a lot more cinematic, and interactive with environments
I read it was more like it's in new Batman games, whatever that means. Maybe I assumed that meant they are less of a QTE, but I'm pretty sure I've read someone stating that explicitly as well (not as much of a QTE and better realized overall).

rhino4evr said:
So based on Gaf early reactions, it seems like Part 3 may be just as good as part 2, but not better.
Unless you were waiting for that one guy to post, who played maybe a third of the game, everyone before, and some after him haven't been saying that :\ But even if it's just as good, I won't complain. I haven't yet got to play any game of this kind that I thought was even as good.

RedSwirl

For those who've finished it, what's the puzzle/combat balance like here?

Also, I'm playing through Uncharted 2 again, and I just don't see how U3 could look better than this game. I just don't. I seriously think they hit the PS3's ceiling with this and God of War 3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JaseC said:
The cutscene was recorded in-engine, it's just not rendered in real-time in the game proper. So, yes, the cutscene is pre-rendered, but was created within Naughty Dog's game engine.

Yeah, when I said in-engine, I meant rendered while you watched.

JaseC

EatChildren said:
Yeah, when I said in-engine, I meant rendered while you watched.

Ah. No, that particular cutscene was not rendered in real-time. It's actually easy to discover which cutscenes are pre-rendered and otherwise; you can't skip the real-time cutscenes.

EatChildren

JaseC said:
Ah. No, that particular cutscene was not rendered in real-time. It's actually easy to discover which cutscenes are pre-rendered and otherwise; you can't skip the real-time cutscenes.

The easiest way to spot the pre-rendered cutscenes is the terrible compression artefacts ;).

JaseC

EatChildren said:
The easiest way to spot the pre-rendered cutscenes is the terrible compression artefacts ;).

Haha, that too. My eyesight being what it is, I've never noticed the compression artefacts. :p I wasn't even aware that the cutscenes were poorly encoded until GAF told me so.

rhino4evr

Loudninja said:
If the game is better than UC2 or just as good as it I win either way. :)
I feel the same way. I'm not trying to troll by saying the game may be just as good as Uncharted 2, because U2 is my favorite game so far this generation. I'm just trying to keep my hype levels from exploding.

If it is just as good, I'll be happy, the thought of of being better then the last game is too much too think about

Top Bottom