• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
EatChildren said:
The easiest way to spot the pre-rendered cutscenes is the terrible compression artefacts ;).
Still a ton better than most 3rd party games are in that regard, that's for sure. I didn't think it was bad at all, but mind, I play games on plasma, and artifacts are generally less visible on it than on LCD, thankfully

Someone who's playing the game should comment on this. How are the compression artifacts? I know they're using 50GB disc now, but they also have to store all the videos in 3D format as well, so that'll probably eat a good chunk of disc space.

Ricky_R

Well, since nobody answered me and more people have the game now, I'm going to post my concern again.

Can anybody with the game right now say how much I spoiled myself for watching everything that ND/Sony released? I saw
Teaser, Chateau, Cargo Plane, Cruise and Desert gameplay videos; TV Spot and Launch trailer.

Please and thanks

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
rhino4evr said:
I feel the same way. I'm not trying to troll by saying the game may be just as good as Uncharted 2, because U2 is my favorite game so far this generation. I'm just trying to keep my hype levels from exploding.

If it is just as good, I'll be happy, the thought of of being better then the last game is too much too think about
One thing I know - Wario doesn't say 'hooooly shit' easily. That one post hyped me more about the game than it probably should have :p

v0mitg0d

http://twitter.com/#!/heymarkd/status/128962835177947136/photo/1

AcorA-yCQAAG1nj.jpg

I've spent about 5-6 hours with my review copy and figured I share my impressions so far with you guys. Please note that these opinions could possibly change for better or worse once I complete the game.

- Uncharted 1 was a really good looking game, Uncharted 2 was even better looking and Uncharted 3 is a another step forward--it's stunning! Textures look even more crisp, the lighting more realistic, the animations even more subtle and effective, the frame rate is of course solid with nary a tear and the colors are SO lush. What until you see the water in the game because it's the best. I don't mean that as hyperbole either, it's goddamn amazing. The ocean sequence forced me to stop in my tracks and stare. It's unbelievable.

- The dialog is top notch as expected. I find myself always smiling at the back-and-forth between Nate and the supporting case.Those unexpected moments of comedy relief are still there, the dramatic tones of seriousness when needed still manage to bring a sense of tension, and just when Nate is at the top of his game solving a crisis something happens to remind us all he's still a bit of a goof. It's just all so great!

- Remember the beginning of Uncharted 2 and how it was off to a little bit of a slow start? This was mainly because it was telling the beginning a story and building up to something great. Well unfortunately Uncharted 3 sort of does the same thing (completely different story) but takes a little bit longer to get it's point across. Is it bad? Hell no! But I think when people come to an Uncharted game they just wanted to get to the 4000 year old Myan ruins or the creepy underground dungeons and it can make longer sections of the story a little hard to tolerate. It's all great fun but once you reach the 1/2 point the game REALLY takes off.

- So far the puzzles have been some of the best in the series. They're cleverly done, original in form and never used previously, most have been a touch too easy, and always very appropriate themed for their environments. Like'em!

- I cannot wait to get home and play more more more more--get excited!

Feel free to ask me any questions you like and I'll do my best to answer them.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Played for a little bit, got to chapter 6, the start of that chapter is amazing, graphically.

Other than the E3 demo on stage and the beta i haven't looked at anything from the game. And i am glad i didn't.

v0mitg0d said:
- Remember the beginning of Uncharted 2 and how it was off to a little bit of a slow start? This was mainly because it was telling the beginning a story and building up to something great. Well unfortunately Uncharted 3 sort of does the same thing (completely different story) but takes a little bit longer to get it's point across

I agree with this, it's slow, but interesting though, but i know it will bug me during more playthroughs to play it again.

v0mitg0d

Ricky_R said:
Well, since nobody answered me and more people have the game now, I'm going to post my concern again.

Can anybody with the game right now say how much I spoiled myself for watching everything that ND/Sony released? I saw
Teaser, Chateau, Cargo Plane, Cruise and Desert gameplay videos; TV Spot and Launch trailer.

Please and thanks

You're fine. There's a ton of stuff you haven't seen. The game really goes all over the place in terms of locations. And even the ones you've seen, there a ton of stuff to them that haven't really seen. :)

JudgeN

I'm curious has the multiplayer went live for retail version and has the UI gotten an upgrade from the summer beta? I haven't played the Subway version so I can't say if its the same as the beta. If the retail version is live, is it on the same version as the subway beta?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
JudgeN said:
I'm curious is the multiplayer went live for retail version and has the UI gotten an upgrade from the summer beta? I haven't played the Subway version so I can't say if its the same as the beta. If the retail version is live, is it on the same version as the subway beta?

Retail multiplayer is not live. But it says "1.01.001" on top right so far.

Pranay

v0mitg0d said:
http://twitter.com/#!/heymarkd/status/128962835177947136/photo/1

AcorA-yCQAAG1nj.jpg

I've spent about 5-6 hours with my review copy and figured I share my impressions so far with you guys. Please note that these opinions could possibly change for better or worse once I complete the game.

- Uncharted 1 was a really good looking game, Uncharted 2 was even better looking and Uncharted 3 is a another step forward--it's stunning! Textures look even more crisp, the lighting more realistic, the animations even more subtle and effective, the frame rate is of course solid with nary a tear and the colors are SO lush. What until you see the water in the game because it's the best. I don't mean that as hyperbole either, it's goddamn amazing. The ocean sequence forced me to stop in my tracks and stare. It's unbelievable.

- The dialog is top notch as expected. I find myself always smiling at the back-and-forth between Nate and the supporting case.Those unexpected moments of comedy relief are still there, the dramatic tones of seriousness when needed still manage to bring a sense of tension, and just when Nate is at the top of his game solving a crisis something happens to remind us all he's still a bit of a goof. It's just all so great!

- Remember the beginning of Uncharted 2 and how it was off to a little bit of a slow start? This was mainly because it was telling the beginning a story and building up to something great. Well unfortunately Uncharted 3 sort of does the same thing (completely different story) but takes a little bit longer to get it's point across. Is it bad? Hell no! But I think when people come to an Uncharted game they just wanted to get to the 4000 year old Myan ruins or the creepy underground dungeons and it can make longer sections of the story a little hard to tolerate. It's all great fun but once you reach the 1/2 point the game REALLY takes off.

- So far the puzzles have been some of the best in the series. They're cleverly done, original in form and never used previously, most have been a touch too easy, and always very appropriate themed for their environments. Like'em!

- I cannot wait to get home and play more more more more--get excited!

Feel free to ask me any questions you like and I'll do my best to answer them.

melee system ;) ?

Ricky_R

v0mitg0d said:
You're fine. There's a ton of stuff you haven't seen. The game really goes all over the place in terms of locations. And even the ones you've seen, there a ton of stuff to them that haven't really seen. :)

Thanks mate. That's great to read.

strafer

It just occured to me that ND hasn't released a bad game since the Playstation era.

That's quite the feat.

naughtydoglbf3.jpg

Look at Metacritic.

So far (Chapter 9) i feel that the game is not as well balanced as U2 was, but it might be just me disliking 1 level. :) I'm sure this will change :)

Goldrusher

Wooo, didn't know they actually put the treasures in the world this time. No more weird sparkles, but actual treasures laying around.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Goldrusher said:
Wooo, didn't know they actually put the treasures in the world this time. No more weird sparkles, but actual treasures laying around.
Really good to hear. That was my wife's complaint about the games as she likes looking around the screen for those treasures while I'm playing.

Just hit the level cap in the Subway multiplayer and damn I'm having a blast - I can't wait for the full game.

EDIT: Oh hey, can anybody confirm whether the game unlocks certain things depending on your beta progression?

Anybody else dislike the multiplayer announcer? She reminds me of this really arrogant lawyer that I used to date.

we.are.the.armada said:
Just hit the level cap in the Subway multiplayer and damn I'm having a blast - I can't wait for the full game.

EDIT: Oh hey, can anybody confirm whether the game unlocks certain things depending on your beta progression?

Anybody else dislike the multiplayer announcer? She reminds me of this really arrogant lawyer that I used to date.

Used to be worse in the summer beta, she always kept nagging you about the kickback
"I suggest you use your kickback" over and over again...

This game is absolutely unbelievable. Everything about it reeks care and attention to detail. The writing, plot development and acting really is industry leading. It's astounding what Naughty Dog's doing here, it really is.

I just finished the
Chateau
for the first time and, man,
it's so much better than it ever looked in any pre-release videos. Really, really staggering fire effects, the way the building crumbles as it burns down. It's unbelievable.

I'm really not seeing Eurogamer's criticism yet. The game's scripted of course, but I always feel completely in control. The game's experty crafted to give you the false sense of guidance, etc. It must be a really hard thing to do. The level's are so complex, and yet you pretty much always know where you need to go.

There's also been some really neat, and short puzzles so far. Much better than in previous games in my opinion. Drake's notebook is a pleasure to just sit and read through as in previous games.

For those that were asking, the melee combat is a lot like Arkham City. Square to punch, Triangle to counter. It's not as fluid as Arkham City, but I think it's much better than in previous games. I've actually found myself getting into quite a few fist-fights so far.

It's also worth mentioning that the game's opening
is much slower than in Uncharted 2. But I actually really like the set-up. The atmosphere and build-up is tense. And there's a great twist early on. I actually don't think you fire a gun until at least an hour in, which is nice.

Sullichin

Strafer said:
It just occured to me that ND hasn't released a bad game since the Playstation era.

That's quite the feat.

naughtydoglbf3.jpg

Look at Metacritic.

Wow that's some total underrating of Crash 1, 2 and CTR. These are all great games. Naughty Dog.. they haven't released a bad game.

Has anyone received a copy of the game from the Subway promotion? I won a copy on the site, but haven't heard anything since then.

I keep hoping that magically the game is just going to be waiting for me when I get home from work tonight. :/

Also, anyone in Chicago know where you can buy it early? :p

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Sullichin said:
Wow that's some total underrating of Crash 1, 2 and CTR. These are all great games. Naughty Dog.. they haven't released a bad game.

CTR at the time was the best kart racing game ever. seriously, it was the shit back in the day.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It would be lovely if someone in Australia broke the street date.

Pretty please.

So is the ending really as abrupt as some of the reviews have led? Im going to be disappointed if they didnt handle the ending well in this game. They've messed it up 2 times already (although form a story standpoint they were good).

Bigfoot

EatChildren said:
The easiest way to spot the pre-rendered cutscenes is the terrible compression artefacts ;).
I never noticed the compression. What made me realize that some of the cut scenese were pre-rendered was when the gun in the cut scene was always the main pistol even if I had a different pistol and had the shotgun in my hand when the cut scene started.

Loudninja

LightOfTruth said:
So is the ending really as abrupt as some of the reviews have led? Im going to be disappointed if they didnt handle the ending well in this game. They've messed it up 2 times already (although form a story standpoint they were good).
Messed up 2 times?

nofi

get2sammyb said:
I'm really not seeing Eurogamer's criticism yet. The game's scripted of course, but I always feel completely in control. The game's experty crafted to give you the false sense of guidance, etc.

I agree, and that's why I didn't get EG's review in this respect. It always feels like it's your decision.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
LightOfTruth said:

What's wrong with the endings in the first 2 games? They pretty much wrapped things up and are self contained stories.

BeeDog

LightOfTruth said:

I pray to God this is not true. Lousy endings are the biggest annoyances I have this generation.

LightOfTruth said:
Wat? The ending for 2 was great.

Bigfoot

Strafer said:

That's quite the feat.

According to the "Most Improved Developer this gen" thread from last week or so, a lot of people were saying ND so I think many think otherwise (about the bad game thing). It was surprising to see the number of ND responses in that thread considering the Jak games were really good from what I played of them.

S1kkZ

LightOfTruth said:
i finished it a few hours ago. i think the ending is pretty good and better than uc2 ending. it feels a tiny bit rushed, mainly because there is no
annoying final boss battle
but to me, thats a good thing.
there is one thing that really pisses me off: no unlockabe cheats, costumes, characters and so on. nothing, nada.

Ok thats good then. Some of the reviews said that the game ends abruptly, and that would really bother me. The reviews I read didn't specify if it was from a story standpoint or a gameplay one though. I assumed it was gameplay cause I didnt like the gameplay at the end of Uncharted 2.

BeeDog

S1kkZ said:
i finished it a few hours ago. i think the ending is pretty good and better than uc2 ending. it feels a tiny bit rushed, mainly because there is no
there is one thing that really pisses me off: no unlockabe cheats, costumes, characters and so on. nothing, nada.

The fuck? Major disappointment if true.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
S1kkZ said:

I thought there was a fat Drake skin? Was this just for multiplayer? Did I imagine this?

S1kkZ

BeeDog said:
The fuck? Major disappointment if true.
i searched all the menus, i finished it on easy and normal, i found 60 hidden treasures and so far: nothing. the only thing you unlock is a ton of concept art and 4 making of videos. uc2 was so much better in terms of unlockables and replay value.

BeeDog

S1kkZ said:
i searched all the menus, i finished it on easy and normal, i found 60 hidden treasures and so far: nothing. the only thing you unlock is a ton of concept art and 4 making of videos. uc2 was so much better in terms of unlockables and replay value.

:/

Major bummer then. Messing around with the post-game cheats in UC2 was great, and it reeks of mismatched priorities if they removed something they simply could carry over from the previous game.

Top Bottom