• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

hamchan

The playerbase is definitely too small to be split up a lot. That's why the 4 map packs sounds ridiculous to me. If we're already struggling to find games with the 2nd pack, just imagine when the 3rd and 4th pack comes out.

Lingitiz

I do wonder what numbers the game does at this point. I remember being on UC2 last year and it was about 40k unique players a day. I could be wrong though.

Tokubetsu

I don't ragequit and I enjoy challenging games with lag-free players (aka 4-5 bars), but sorry, I am not willing to be raped by [MEX] [BRA] [CHLE] [ARG] [CHN] [JPN] [KSA] lag. ;)

Exactly, and on the odd chance you and your team manages to be edging out a lead, they'll quit because they don't want to fuck up their stats. You can't win with them. So fuck it. A no parties playlist would be tops.

I don't ragequit and I enjoy challenging games with lag-free players (aka 4-5 bars), but sorry, I am not willing to be raped by [MEX] [BRA] [CHLE] [ARG] [CHN] [JPN] [KSA] lag. ;)

Lol...yeah Uncharted seems to be super popular with South Americans. I don't really find that level 75 players are always terrible to play against, but there are some matches that are extremely demoralizing and last only a couple minutes. I love UC3 though, I hope more and more people pick up the DLC maps so it isn't too daunting to buy.

Mikey Jr.

The playerbase is definitely too small to be split up a lot. That's why the 4 map packs sounds ridiculous to me. If we're already struggling to find games with the 2nd pack, just imagine when the 3rd and 4th pack comes out.

If someone has 2 map packs already, then they have to have been full on stupid not to have bought Fortune Hunters Club in the beginning.

For 5 bucks more, they would have been able to get everything.

I hope there aren't people like that out there.

Mikey Jr.

Also, one more thing.

Gametrailers has its own podcast called Invisible Walls and they had 2 Naughty Dog MP creators on there.

They announced....

-Uncharted 3 has been selling much better than 2.
-The player base for 3 is bigger than 2.
-They admit they fucked up with stopping power at release. Lol.
-More DLC, skins, maps, shades mode, etc.
-The LAB is coming back.
-"Custom maps"? I dont understand this one. No info given for it.
-Still plan on supporting the game for a long time.
-Another "The Last of Us" Easter egg that no one has found yet. Not the newspaper. This secret is REALLY hard to find.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-200-invisible-walls/727571

Starts @ 10:00 min mark.

Exactly, and on the odd chance you and your team manages to be edging out a lead, they'll quit because they don't want to fuck up their stats. You can't win with them. So fuck it. A no parties playlist would be tops.
You totally missed my point... a no-parties playlist would force me to play with overseas players more often, which is something that I definitely don't want to do.

The player pool is too small to be fragmented even further, considering the DLC fiasco... a good solution would be to adopt a free-to-play model (i.e. KZ3 MP), which would increase the player pool, so that more playlists could be added with no lag consequences.

Lingitiz

Also, one more thing.

Gametrailers has its own podcast called Invisible Walls and they had 2 Naughty Dog MP creators on there.

They announced....

-Uncharted 3 has been selling much better than 2.
-The player base for 3 is bigger than 2.
-They admit they fucked up with stopping power at release. Lol.
-More DLC, skins, maps, shades mode, etc.
-The LAB is coming back.
-"Custom maps"? I dont understand this one. No info given for it.
-Still plan on supporting the game for a long time.
-Another "The Last of Us" Easter egg that no one has found yet. Not the newspaper. This secret is REALLY hard to find.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-200-invisible-walls/727571

Starts @ 10:00 min mark.

Surprised to hear that the game is doing so well post release, seems like it has pretty long legs in sales and MP life. Great news forsure.

Well, I finally bought this game and managed to make it to the Chateue level earlier today but now I'm stuck on that spinning ring screen every time I try to start the game. There's a thread about this problem on the Naughty Dog forums but ND doesn't seem to have any fix for this even though they have known about this issue for a few months. So, I guess I'm shit out of luck and not playing this game anymore. Just fucking beautiful.

Well, I finally bought this game and managed to make it to the Chateue level earlier today but now I'm stuck on that spinning ring screen every time I try to start the game. There's a thread about this problem on the Naughty Dog forums but ND doesn't seem to have any fix for this even though they have known about this issue for a few months. So, I guess I'm shit out of luck and not playing this game anymore. Just fucking beautiful.

why don't you just delete the install data + patches and try again ?

Lingitiz

Put a few hours into the MP now that I bought the season pass, and you guys are right about the parties just dominating in TDM. I got the occasional match where it was mostly solo players, but getting GMAL'ed across the map by 3 or 4 dudes was no fun. Plunder was also pretty tough, too many players playing likes its TDM.

I jumped onto Team Objective and had a ton of fun, still the best competitive gametype in the game by far. Even though I ran into some parties, it was far less frequent and wasn't frustrating. I think I can attribute part of that to the fact that I usually dislike TDM gametypes in the first place, and that the lack of K/D stat tracking bullshit was refreshing. As a solo player I feel like this is probably where i'll spend most of my time from here on out.

Mikey Jr.

Hey, you guys have any LAB ideas?

Classic U2 mp is probably a no-brainer. Anything else?

I was thinking 3v3v3 TDM would be fun.

Also, not sure if its possible, but I would like to see 6v6 just to see what it would play like. That way everyone has a buddy.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Hunter is a cool mode if you *know* how to play it successfully, but it is ruined by the lack of late join/host migration.

Protip: never engage in 1v1 gunfights with a crummy pistol, instead try to stealth kill the Heroes. ;)
I still don't think it's a cool mode and I know how to properly play it. it's a mess. The two things you mentioned should have been addressed a long time ago along with the three medal pick up chests in the flashback pack #1. A single round lasts to what seems like an eternity when they could be shorter, villains still take a bit too much to respawn back after they're killed, which is understandable in a sense, but still a drag. Your co-op gun mods being available are also a big problem because it creates imbalances when you are facing low level players who don't have the option of buying every single gun mod. Instead of starting with the M9, you should start with an AK. I still don't like the idea of heroes getting their kickback every time they score because when you have a good team, you can practically have your kickback activated for the entire round without pause (I've done this every single time with my friend). I don't know, I'm just not that much of a fan of Hunter and I've played against other teams that also know what they are doing and it's just not that fun IMO.

Oh, and you are totally correct. The first thing I do is spawn near the heroes and break their necks. Works like 95% of the time. However, I'll still confront them on a 1 on 1 fight with the Para9 by flanking them. Blindfiring the pistol, melee, melee cancel, and blindfire again = effective.

Hey, you guys have any LAB ideas?

Classic U2 mp is probably a no-brainer. Anything else?

I was thinking 3v3v3 TDM would be fun.

Also, not sure if its possible, but I would like to see 6v6 just to see what it would play like. That way everyone has a buddy.
Like I have mentioned in this thread before, I think it would be AWESOME if The Lab stuff happened within Team Objective. It'd be so fucking awesome.

But ideas:

RPG's only - I miss them so much from UC2. They are a blast.
MAG only - Like the Desert Eagle only matches in UC2, I think this one could be awesome. No boosters because of Daredevil.
Cursed - I know I hated Cursed in the original beta, but it would be so fucking hilarious/frustrating if there was a lab where everyone was cursed. It'd force people to think before they shoot.
Three Team Team Objective - 3 teams of 2 to see who wins. or it can be three people, but preferably two. Chain reaction would be excluded because I don't know how that can work with 3 teams.
Team Deathmatch (UC2 Style): Current health (no double health like Hardcore), no boosters, no weapon mods, powerplays, or kickbacks.
Team Deathmatch Variants: It'd be like Team Objective in the sense that styles of play will change over time, but in Deathmatch style. For example, at the start of the round, it would be something like Para9 only and it can last a few minutes until it changes to another variant like [insert idea here].
Pistols only Plunder - It NEEDS to return even though the pistols in this game suck.
Power Plays - Basically, both teams will have power plays activated to see who can rack up the most points to win. Problem is that the matches could be over real quick lol.
Grenades only - Explosions, explosions, and explosions! This one could be interesting now that you can throw back grenades.

Ultimate Troll Lab:

TAU only.

Can't think of anything else right now.

I've already tried everything from re-installing the update to starting the game without any game data or internet connection. Nothing helps..
Dude, that sucks...

jett

D-Member
I feel like I've been swindled by the Season Pass/Fortune Hunter Club. All of the friends I played UC2MP and the UC3 betas with have abandoned the game, so I'm left with randoms. Even then it's just not fun anymore, I've realized I liked to take advantage of the instant grenades LOL, without it I'm left with a fubar'd and unbalanced gunplay. And to top it off I have yet to play a single fucking time with the latest map pack. AND I fucked myself by going legacy twice. Legacy is the shittiest thing ND could've added. $25 down the toilet. First and last time I pre-pay for any DLC of this kind.

Mikey Jr.

Like I have mentioned in this thread before, I think it would be AWESOME if The Lab stuff happened within Team Objective. It'd be so fucking awesome.

But ideas:

RPG's only - I miss them so much from UC2. They are a blast.
MAG only - Like the Desert Eagle only matches in UC2, I think this one could be awesome. No boosters because of Daredevil.
Cursed - I know I hated Cursed in the original beta, but it would be so fucking hilarious/frustrating if there was a lab where everyone was cursed. It'd force people to think before they shoot.
Three Team Team Objective - 3 teams of 2 to see who wins. or it can be three people, but preferably two. Chain reaction would be excluded because I don't know how that can work with 3 teams.
Team Deathmatch (UC2 Style): Current health (no double health like Hardcore), no boosters, no weapon mods, powerplays, or kickbacks.
Team Deathmatch Variants: It'd be like Team Objective in the sense that styles of play will change over time, but in Deathmatch style. For example, at the start of the round, it would be something like Para9 only and it can last a few minutes until it changes to another variant like [insert idea here].
Pistols only Plunder - It NEEDS to return even though the pistols in this game suck.
Power Plays - Basically, both teams will have power plays activated to see who can rack up the most points to win. Problem is that the matches could be over real quick lol.
Grenades only - Explosions, explosions, and explosions! This one could be interesting now that you can throw back grenades.

Ultimate Troll Lab:

TAU only.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Looks awesome. Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread or another one, but for the Team Deathmatch (UC2 Style), someone said everyone starts with AK-47 (with accuracy mod) and a para (with accuracy mod). The rest of the guns like gmal are spread throught the map like UC2.

Would be very interesting to play.

Gun game would be pretty cool too. Every 30 seconds or minute, the game randomly cycles through EVERY gun. So it could be a para, or a rocket launcher.

I missed a good 95% of the lab. I got into UC2 extremely late, so it was pretty much over by the time I got in.

So bored today I couldn't really play UC3 MP. Despite it having so many issues, I vastly prefer to play that than other MP games. Gears3, reach just can't replace my uncharted.

Anyway I hope the shades mode releases this tuesday if possible. Doesn't the DLC in UC3 usually release the following tuesday after the technical hooks patch is deployed?

Number45

Any tips for the fountain area in chapter 21 on crushing? I'm nearing rage territory right now, it's fucking ridiculous. Watched a walkthrough on YT hoping for some pointers, but it's playing completely different to what I get - he takes cover at the start, yet if I try that I'm instantly flanked on both sides.

EDIT: And as usual, venting on the internet solves all. If anyone else struggles at this point, for some reason going to the right side they aren't as aggressive - two quick accurate shots with the Tau is enough to take them down.

Any tips for the fountain area in chapter 21 on crushing? I'm nearing rage territory right now, it's fucking ridiculous. Watched a walkthrough on YT hoping for some pointers, but it's playing completely different to what I get - he takes cover at the start, yet if I try that I'm instantly flanked on both sides.

EDIT: And as usual, venting on the internet solves all. If anyone else struggles at this point, for some reason going to the right side they aren't as aggressive - two quick accurate shots with the Tau is enough to take them down.

if you're stuck in an endless loop and get flanked , then ....
restart the chapter 21 , there should be 2 tau before the fontain section take them but don't use them ..in the hallway before this part use M9.
As soon as you enter this section go on the left and progress toward the exit ( if you die , THEN use the right route , no need for cover your goal is the grenade launcher in the middle of the exit altar) kill the ennemy on the Left on your first try and take their grenade launcher , near the exit there is a second grenade launcher... With these 2 , clear the area .. ( don't hesitate because you don't have much anmo ) , your goal is to cause them as much damage as possible with those ( pay attention to their invicible delay , before the teleport ) Once you run out of grenades, the use your TAU , you should have 8 or 12 bullets that should be enough to clear the remaining ennemies ... The key here is to act fast and don't give them a chance to flank you.

Left path is the best choice IMO

Number45

I died almost immediately after I entered the room because I honestly wasn't prepared for how chaotic it would be (despite remembering it from the normal run, and dreading it a little), and after that point any attempt I made to go left ended in death almost before I got to cover. Shooting right into the cover of the long fountain and picking them off with the Tau worked, I just threw a diversionary grenade if I wanted to buy a little time. :)

Which reminds me - having the roll button shared with the cover mechanic makes the game a nightmare when it gets chaotic. Don't remember struggling too much in tight areas in 1 or 2 in that way. :/

Which reminds me - having the roll button shared with the cover mechanic makes the game a nightmare when it gets chaotic.

So F..... true. The number of times in chaotic situation when you wish to roll and get into cover instead ( or the opposite ) is huge.

I would have prefered THE SAME THING but with L1+Circle (o) that would Always roll regardless of the situation .

Number45

Crushing done. I found it far more frustrating than I recall with either of the first - and the odd proper combat choke point aside most of my frustration seemed to come from section where you have to get a lot of accurate shots off in a short amount of time, where the difficulty increases exponentially as you need more shots to take them down on crushing (the area in the chateau where your foot gets stuck had me cussing nicely. :/

Perhaps I've analysed this one more than the others but I feel there are a lot of... not loose ends so much as untidy ones. Things that seem to be of importance that are just dropped without really referring back to them (
Chloe and Cutter being the main one
). :/

Still a great game, but not quite so great as I personally found the others.

Mr. Fix

Things that seem to be of importance that are just dropped without really referring back to them (
Chloe and Cutter being the main one
). :/

This one is the real tragedy. The ending would have felt more satisfying.

Also Elena somehow knowing who Cutter is. Sure you could say they met on the several occasions that Drake went out hunting, but I'm really sick of the subtlety they went with for this game. Sometimes it's just nice to explain what happens flat out, and not trying to go for the artistic, subtle route. It only worked well with what happened between Nate and Elena.

Things such as:
- Spiders
- Djinns
- Talbot

Not to mention that Marlowe barely felt like the main villain. Seriously ND, what the hell.

Darkatomz

I feel like I've been swindled by the Season Pass/Fortune Hunter Club. All of the friends I played UC2MP and the UC3 betas with have abandoned the game, so I'm left with randoms. Even then it's just not fun anymore, I've realized I liked to take advantage of the instant grenades LOL, without it I'm left with a fubar'd and unbalanced gunplay. And to top it off I have yet to play a single fucking time with the latest map pack. AND I fucked myself by going legacy twice. Legacy is the shittiest thing ND could've added. $25 down the toilet. First and last time I pre-pay for any DLC of this kind.
Hey man, I only bailed just because I was so damn busy in the last 3 months. Not to mention I had FFXIII-2 to work on, which I'm still not done with.

Besides, we all realize that UC2 is a better MP game than UC3 anyways.

After a really slow start with the new maps (played my first match on one of them 4 days after they hit, and then played them 6 more times in a week), i actually got to play 8 matches on them earlier. Lag was pretty bad most of the time though, not just on the new maps. Got paired up with Asian players a lot, but i guess that was due to the early time of day here.

The Uncharted 3 co-op Shade Survival mode launches on the US PlayStation Store on Tuesday 13th March, Naughty Dog has announced.

Fingers crossed it launches in Europe a day later, on Wednesday, 14th March.

Shade Survival mode is a new multiplayer game type that lets you face off against some of the PlayStation 3's toughest enemies with your mates.

It's a wave based mode that throws progressively tougher Djinn at you. There are eight rounds in total.

"The Djinn's ability to catch fire and teleport poses a formidable challenge to team strategy and coordination, and later rounds include highly skilled Djinn sporting extra armour and firepower, so get ready for a hearty battle," Naughty Dog community strategist Eric Monacelli said.

Objectives, including Marked Man (a certain Djinn will be marked and heavily protected by bodyguards), come into play during a match. You can earn loads of in-game cash playing co-op, thus levelling you up more quickly. Expect new medals, too.

On its own, Shade Survival mode costs $5.99, but if you're a Fortune Hunters Club member you can download it for free.

Meanwhile, Naughty Dog teased the next - and final - Uncharted DLC, due out in April.

Eurogamer

Trailer at the link.

I like the line about leveling up faster, when most of the regulars have reached the current level cap months ago.
The lack of cursed Spaniards and Guardians is a bit underwhelming, but let's see how it plays.

SxP

Just Djinn's is disappointing, I feel like it could be much more interesting with the other two supernatural monsters appearing alongside the Djinns.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
That trailer was so weak...

I don't know how I feel about Shades Mode. I like the Djinn, but I would have loved to have seen UC1 and UC2 guardians put into the mix. I feel like it could have been such a better mode if it included those and maybe waves of spiders, to mix things up and make it more exciting. From the trailer, I do see that some Djinns have new attacks, so maybe it won't be that bad. Still, I'm excited to play it this Tuesday. Hopefully ND can tweak it later on to include more enemies.

Also: Why is there no MEGA BOMB boss in co-op arena!? omg, a Mega Bomb boss would be so amazing.

Number45

I recently did a video all about Tablot's character in Uncharted 3. I was wondering if it would be okay for me to post it here.
Don't see why not, mark it if you think it might contain any objectionable/spoiler content.

My comments on Talbot:
I wanted him dead long before the end. Irritating goit.

EDIT: Also wanted to say that the game is totally different, and in many ways more enjoyable played on very easy (treasure run).

Whoa, the last dlc is in April? Better have skins and maps and modes and the lab all in one then!

Well, Eric Monacelli said this on the blog:

Posted by: Eric-ND on 03-08-2012

we will support Uncharted 3 multiplayer for a long time after the FHC finishes.

Though whether this just means patches, the lab, multiple xp events and raising the level cap, or more DLC after FHC expires is anyone's guess.

Jeez, ND is really rolling out the DLC so fast. I haven't even played all the new maps yet. The amount of DLC is fine but spread it out a little more. It seems like every week there is new DLC in some shape or form. If U3 is going to be supported and played for a long time to come you don't have to shove out 4 or 5 major DLC expansions in about two months time ON TOP OFF Uncharted Golden Abyss being released. I am really starting to feel a little franchise fatigue here.

Top Bottom