• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

I have a GMAL loadout. I know what I'm talking about and the things you are mentioning don't happen to me at all. I've mentioned it in this thread before, but the auto aim is the only major drawback going for the GMAL (the blindfire for it sucks too). For example, if I'm aiming at someone and another person jumps in front of him, the auto aim will move your reticle towards the new person instead of the one I was originally shooting. It happens when there are multiple targets in your crosshair. And if you're not scoped in every time you're using the GMAL, you're doing it wrong. Equipping it with scoped in where you get no pain wobble and you're unstoppable. ;)

This isn't recoil?

youtube

And that's only mid-range.

Agree regarding the autoaim lock on when someone runs past your actual target, that stuff has to go. It's godawful and does nothing but handicap you. Usually it results in you getting a shot in, but then it pulls your aim away from your tartget to follow someone else and you have a hard time hitting the second guy, because at this point the first guy is firing back.

Just want to confirm that it is my tv's lag causing my headaches. Playing KZ2 over the weekend showed that there was obvious input lag from when I pulled the trigger to when I heard and felt the shot fired. UC3 is faster paced and with the masturbatory recoil I couldn't really tell. Slower, steadier (and cloaked) sniper shots from safe positions pointed out the lag.

Damn. That's what I get for downgrading from my Sharp Aquos to a Vizio with no banding issues and cheap 3D at a low price...

i see HDgaming42 impression and i have a hard time seeing the place where he encoutered those problems.

Sniper complaint is regarding the city in the sand. You climb up into a sniper's nest overlooking a long bridge with a rifle laying against a window. It has something like 7 bullets to take out 10-16 guys. I don't think they're afraid of a "snipe all" attitude...

Implausible/Impossible jumps are too many to list. Final chandelier hopping to get the giant gates open springs to mind.

First radar is a big no in uncharted it defeat the entire purpose of the gameplay IMO.

I agree. But without radar I shouldn't be ninja'd by a 300lb armour-clad brute with a shotgun--who makes no sound on his approach. It just seems really cheap. Guy doesn't spawn just searching the room. No, you pick up the gun, zoom in and take a few shots and he either spawns behind you or approaches you with no audible warning and you die. One hit kill.

And then of course taking care of him means locking into CQC while you're being sniped from the other side of the bridge.

I already returned it so I can't check out the alternate controls. Sounds like they wouldn't have changed my impressions of the combat anyway...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
This isn't recoil?

youtube

And that's only mid-range.
Who HONESTLY just scopes in and presses R1 without moving the reticle whatsoever? Here's a hint: No one.

Just like with every other gun, your reticle is always on the move for a moving target and if you keep up with the target, you will notice no recoil at all unlike let's say with an AK where it'll be random even when your reticle is on the target.

Who HONESTLY just scopes in and presses R1 without moving the reticle whatsoever? Here's a hint: No one.

Just like with every other gun, your reticle is always on the move for a moving target and if you keep up with the target, you will notice no recoil at all unlike let's say with an AK where it'll be random even when your reticle is on the target.

What if it's a long range stationary target, will i notice recoil then? My point wasn't that you can't control the recoil, but saying that there is none whatsoever is simply incorrect. It's not even comparable with U2's FAL, which perfectly realigns itself after every burst.

Sniper complaint is regarding the city in the sand. You climb up into a sniper's nest overlooking a long bridge with a rifle laying against a window. It has something like 7 bullets to take out 10-16 guys. I don't think they're afraid of a "snipe all" attitude...
ok i see that part now ... Guy with shot gun doesn't spawn when you snipe ... he is always there ..you can kill him before you begin to snipe.
Implausible/Impossible jumps are too many to list. Final chandelier hopping to get the giant gates open springs to mind.
It's something he does every time.. Uncharted 1 & 2 were no different.
I agree. But without radar I shouldn't be ninja'd by a 300lb armour-clad brute with a shotgun--who makes no sound on his approach. It just seems really cheap. Guy doesn't spawn just searching the room. No, you pick up the gun, zoom in and take a few shots and he either spawns behind you or approaches you with no audible warning and you die. One hit kill.
If you mention the level i can see what encounter you're talking about and i never encountered this you either missed the 1 guy on top of the stairs that moves too or another that comes by the bridge itself ( and can surprise you because there is a set of stairs on your right )if it's the spot i'm thinking , there are no spawn behind you at all. but you can be surprised because there is like 3 way to enter this room
And then of course taking care of him means locking into CQC while you're being sniped from the other side of the bridge.
You should have took care of those way before he has any chance to come.unless your aim is poor , you have plenty of time.
I already returned it so I can't check out the alternate controls. Sounds like they wouldn't have changed my impressions of the combat anyway...
Many people say here it did improve by a lot ... i just wasn't part of those bothered.
i did my crushing run with the alternate settings and i was fine..just didn't feel (myself) a mind blowing difference.

Number45

Noticed the alternate settings in options last night but I don't really feel compelled to change it. Might try it out tonight anyway.

Does anyone else miss "The Lab" from UC2 MP? I had some awesome matches of Shotguns only TDM and Snipers only TDM, etc. One thing I think ND could improve with their MP in their next games would be more customizable game types for private games. I'd like to be able to control weapon types, health, kill limit, etc just to create some insane games.

Alex

The combat is poor regardless of the controls.

I thought it was great after the fix! Man did I rant and race prior to it though. Anyhow, I, really enjoyed it on hard and crushing post patch, I'm really fucking picky with shooters though, tribes and uncharted are seriously the only two series I really give a shit about now that DICE has proven theyve lost the BF2 touch for good

Thinking about getting the dlc pack, I really shouldn't but I am playing a lot of the multiplayer, is it worth it for a fairly casual player who doesn't skulk around in teams and clans and crap?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
The DLC player pool will consist of parties of high level players and will completely ruin your multiplayer experience for good. Not to mention that the latest flashback pack doesn't even fucking come up for vote. I swear, I've only played on the new maps once. Stick with the default maps because you'll get variety in player levels and choice of weapons. If you're into co-op arena, then go for it. If you're into competitive only, stick with the default maps. That's my advice.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
I thought it was great after the fix! Man did I rant and race prior to it though. Anyhow, I, really enjoyed it on hard and crushing post patch, I'm really fucking picky with shooters though, tribes and uncharted are seriously the only two series I really give a shit about now that DICE has proven theyve lost the BF2 touch for good

Thinking about getting the dlc pack, I really shouldn't but I am playing a lot of the multiplayer, is it worth it for a fairly casual player who doesn't skulk around in teams and clans and crap?

its not just aiming,its lack of hit reaction + enemies mindlessly running toward Drake that makes combat in U3 inferior

Lingitiz

The DLC player pool will consist of parties of high level players and will completely ruin your multiplayer experience for good. Not to mention that the latest flashback pack doesn't even fucking come up for vote. I swear, I've only played on the new maps once. Stick with the default maps because you'll get variety in player levels and choice of weapons. If you're into co-op arena, then go for it. If you're into competitive only, stick with the default maps. That's my advice.

Is there anyway to toggle the maps so they don't come up in matchmaking? I mean, the DLC matchmaking can't make it that exclusively.

Lingitiz

Currently not, but for what it's worth, their community manager Eric said on the forums that they are looking into it.

Ahh ok. I haven't bought any DLC yet so I am wondering if it really gets that bad. I do hate getting matched up with stacked teams, so if it really is that often I may have to pass.

fushi

I've been playing this for the past few days and will probably finish it by tonight. The game looks amazing, performs well, the new cqc stuff is rather nice, some amazing setpieces
boat graveyard
, but... the story has been mostly dreck, so far.

There are several instances wherein suit and tie-wearing baddies seem to creep out from nowhere which Drake explains away with "They must've followed us!", without even contemplating as to why that has happened. There have also been two separate moments where one female character asks Drake about why he is doing all this stuff and his only answer is "Duh, because!", as if that was reason enough. Or maybe it is for him, but it makes him seem rather, err, narrow-minded.

There's also a lot less tension between Elena and Drake and more of that simplistic drama that doesn't really go anywhere or evoke anything, other than the feeling that these two characters have a history. Sully and Drake still work together nicely, however.

Maybe my glasses are a little too rose-tinted, but I remember the plot in the first two games being a lot more engaging. And the dialogue was snappy, too.

Also, what happened to Elena's character model? She looks half-asian now.

SxP

Also, what happened to Elena's character model? She looks half-asian now.

She looks good in some scenes, terrible in others. I don't know why.

IIIRC they showed an airport scene in the summer of last year where she looked just fine. Then in October they showed that scene again where Elena completely changed for the worse.

Alex

its not just aiming,its lack of hit reaction + enemies mindlessly running toward Drake that makes combat in U3 inferior

Hit detection I didn't even notice as different from 2, enemies seemed different from 2 though, they seemed like they did in 1, which does annoy me! But I still like the way battles were seemingly made more into set pieces, where enemies came in more apparent fashions and it became sort of puzzle like in picking guns out of the environment and dispatching of them in a certain order, that's how I dealt with hard and crushing at least.

It reminded me of coop adventure in UC2/3, and I really like the coop design in these games, especially considering its the only non-campaign/mission type coop I can remember liking at all.

It'd be great if it'd advance more along those lines, it's always funny how coop goes from stupid frustrating to a well oiled machine after a couple (sometimes a lot) of ass kickings taken and a strategy session.

Yeah that's what i figured. I miss village and the snow maps, so that's a shame. Village is like my favorite map in the past decade of shooting games. At first I hated UC3 maps, but I came around pretty well to most of them after learning them.... sans Molten Ruins! But I do think the aesthetics in general are worse, which might be a bit of my problem . Personally,mi just don't like desert themes (and dont we have enoughnthis gen?) and I don't think the personality is quite as strong in some of the new ones

Anyhoo, maybe I'll just buy that coop mission that came out and call it a day.

There's also a lot less tension between Elena and Drake and more of that simplistic drama that doesn't really go anywhere or evoke anything, other than the feeling that these two characters have a history. Sully and Drake still work together nicely, however.

IMO The focus was clearly on drake/sully ... that's why chloe & elena focus on this story is less present that before.

Mikey Jr.

Patch 1.06 is out

Pretty fucking worthless overall in my opinion. But whatever.

----------------------------------------------------------

1.06.037 (patch) 2/29/12 [Happy Leap Year!]

MULTIPLAYER

GAMEPLAY

Players can now consistently earn the Return To Sender medal
Players can now consistently earn the Hot Potato medal
Players are now able to melee when automatically reloading a gun
Players can no longer throw grenades while carrying an object

TECHINCAL

Enemy AI now dies appropriately at the end of each Co-Op Arena round for players.
Mute functionality has been improved; players should no longer be able to hear the other player on either side of the mute action
Fixed an exploit with thrown objects being used to escape the level boundaries
In Elimination in TDM, players will no longer initially spawn in the last location their buddy spawned

SERVER

Late-joiners to multiplayer games no longer have a new set of power weapons when entering a game
Fixed a rare issue in which certain users were inappropriately kicked out of a non-DLC matchmaking game

Patch 1.06 adds the necessary technical hooks for the upcoming Co-Op Shade Survival Mode to function

I really don't get why they did this. You had the option to use DLC maps or default in U2, why change for the sequel. It's just like not having a random character selection option. Just doesn't make any sense.

The only way around this right now if you have the map packs is to get into a party where one person doesn't have the map pack.

Mikey Jr.

Free FHC content if anyone gives a rat fuck:

Uncharted 3: Avatar Pack #1
Uncharted 3: Avatar Pack #2

Pack 1 is heroes, pack 2 is villains........except for Salim....

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I really don't get why they did this. You had the option to use DLC maps or default in U2, why change for the sequel. It's just like not having a random character selection option. Just doesn't make any sense.

The only way around this right now if you have the map packs is to get into a party where one person doesn't have the map pack.

Yeah, there's a reason people loved UC2. There were so many awesome little features like that and most of them are missing in UC3 which is such a shame.

Tokubetsu

Yea, I pretty much stopped playing this one I got the first DLC map pack. I just can't be bothered to delete them to get a more fair matchmaking.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I love that ND have actually fixed those glitched medals. It wasn't until recently that I found out that the host could ONLY get those medals, so it was no wonder why I only had like 5 hot potato medals. Kickback Endurance is the only booster I need to level up to gold for co-op.

The late join thing about power weapons is also a nice fix. It was extremely annoying that a new person would join an ongoing match only to go for the power weapons first knowing that nobody but themselves could pick them up for some easy kills. Hell, I've done it myself. Glad that thing is finally fixed.

Inanna said:
Yeah, there's a reason people loved UC2. There were so many awesome little features like that and most of them are missing in UC3 which is such a shame.
I did love that feature in Uncharted 2, BUT the only drawback that toggle option created was that I could not find any matches for DLC because the community all migrated to default instead of DLC. That's the only drawback the toggle option can create.

There are still more issues that I hope get addressed in the next update...

The Marked Man quitting issue where the game will NOT assign a new Marked Man for Team Objective is game breaking because it screws over the other team for the round.

EDIT:

Hey guys, I also have a problem. for some reason, I had changed my sound settings to test some stuff out, so I lowered most of them to zero. However, the game seems to have saved those settings so every time I boot the game, I have to go into options and change my sound settings so I can have sound again. Is there any way I can fix this? It's really annoying that my settings aren't saved....

Lingitiz

Yea, I pretty much stopped playing this one I got the first DLC map pack. I just can't be bothered to delete them to get a more fair matchmaking.

Does it really get that bad? Surely not every playlist ends up unbalanced right? I've been thinking about biting on the Fortune Hunter's pass but I mostly play solo when doing competitive with the occasional coop game. If teams really get that unbalanced I might have to hold up, although the maps are pretty tempting.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Playing solo is a nightmare. Trust me on this 'cause I play solo 90% of the time. You'll get unbalanced teams the majority of the time and you can't escape parties of legacy players..at least in Team Deathmatch anyway. For Team Objective, it's OK sometimes because it doesn't really matter if someone dies a shitload of times as long as they do the objective unlike with TDM where you are affected by these players since they'll make you lose the match. There are parties here and there in Team Objective, but they are not as prevalent like in TDM. For Plunder, there are definitely parties in that playlist, but that mode suffers from people not giving a crap about scoring the idol. if you're just a casual player that enjoys the game, do not get the DLC maps if you're going to play solo. Nothing but GMAL, Fleet Foot, M9 Rate of Fire, Sewed Off Shotguns, Bargain + Bargain, Stat quitters, and the rise of the Cloaked + Ping combo.

Lingitiz

Playing solo is a nightmare. Trust me on this 'cause I play solo 90% of the time. You'll get unbalanced teams the majority of the time and you can't escape parties of legacy players..at least in Team Deathmatch anyway. For Team Objective, it's OK sometimes because it doesn't really matter if someone dies a shitload of times as long as they do the objective unlike with TDM where you are affected by these players since they'll make you lose the match. There are parties here and there in Team Objective, but they are not as prevalent like in TDM. if you're just a casual player that enjoys the game, do not get the DLC maps.

Hmm I'll have to think about it. I don't know if I really consider myself a casual player, I do pretty well in games and can hold my own and rarely stay in last place. I guess what I do mean to say is that I'm not the kind of guy that's going to join a clan, put my mic on, and make winning a priority. I mostly just focus on doing well and having fun, which I would say are connected.

I do get what you are saying though, TDM is always the gametype where things can become a nightmare, hell Gears 3 and Halo Reach's big TDM/Slayer gametypes are pretty much unplayable because of stacked teams. I may pick up the maps and devote most of my time to Team Objective or Three Team Deathmatch, and only hop on TDM if I'm in a party (preferably with gaffers).

Ideally I'd pick them up right away if I heard ND would bring back the DLC toggle. Or even better, an option for no parties in matchmaking.

SxP

Hey guys, I also have a problem. for some reason, I had changed my sound settings to test some stuff out, so I lowered most of them to zero. However, the game seems to have saved those settings so every time I boot the game, I have to go into options and change my sound settings so I can have sound again. Is there any way I can fix this? It's really annoying that my settings aren't saved....

You can delete your profile under Save Game Data (I think) in the XMB. After that you have to set it once and then it should stick. But that might have side effects for your SP profile (like deleting your treasures).

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I only ever play in parties, sometimes we have players in our party that are non legacy 40s, 30s or even lower. I don't really like playing solo though, and I don't think I'd still be playing UC3 if it weren't for my friends.

The Marked Man quitting issue where the game will NOT assign a new Marked Man for Team Objective is game breaking because it screws over the other team for the round.

Oh god, definitely hate when that happens. Also when you're in a match and its going alright but then suddenly you run into somebody with a bad connection in the match and you get the unplugged symbol in the middle of the screen and you can't move at all. Doesn't happen too often but its annoying when it does.

TDM is just getting on my nerves now. I mean last night Temple FINALLY showed up as a vote and we all voted for it. No less than 5 minutes into the match I'm contemplating quitting because of the team stacking bs.

Guys just gmal-ing me to death, fleet foot lv3, all these bs kickbacks wow. I just quit the match and didn't feel like playing no more.

FFA on the other hand was a breathe of fresh air as there basically is no party. Right now the best thing ND can do to save the competitive modes for UC3 is make the classic mode everyone's been asking for on the ND forums.

Everyone starts with AK with accuracy mod and the para 9. Other sidearms and long guns are placed on the map. M9 would be the M4 with rof and the gmal should be laying around in a couple of spots. (though it would still need a stopping power nerf)

Lingitiz

TDM is just getting on my nerves now. I mean last night Temple FINALLY showed up as a vote and we all voted for it. No less than 5 minutes into the match I'm contemplating quitting because of the team stacking bs.

Guys just gmal-ing me to death, fleet foot lv3, all these bs kickbacks wow. I just quit the match and didn't feel like playing no more.

FFA on the other hand was a breathe of fresh air as there basically is no party. Right now the best thing ND can do to save the competitive modes for UC3 is make the classic mode everyone's been asking for on the ND forums.

Everyone starts with AK with accuracy mod and the para 9. Other sidearms and long guns are placed on the map. M9 would be the M4 with rof and the gmal should be laying around in a couple of spots. (though it would still need a stopping power nerf)

I had actually forgotten about FFA, once PSN is back up I'll definitely get a few games in. I remember having a good time with it around launch. Thank god there are at least options to avoid parties, but there really should be a filter. After playing a game like Gears where every gametype is heavily team based it should be good to solo in FFA in UC3.

eloestmn

Right now the best thing ND can do to save the competitive modes for UC3 is make the classic mode everyone's been asking for on the ND forums.

If you think ND will ever do that, you're playing youreself. If they wanted to make an updated version of Uc2's multi they would have, but we got what we did with U3. Kickbacks, Powerplays, Loadouts....you know the deal. We either accept it and enjoy best we can, cry about it on a forum to no avail, or just move on. Hardcore was suppose to be a classic mode but its not, and as fun as what "everyones" been asking for would be... we aint getting it.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You can delete your profile under Save Game Data (I think) in the XMB. After that you have to set it once and then it should stick. But that might have side effects for your SP profile (like deleting your treasures).
I don't really care if I lose my treasures since I already platinum'd the game, but I'll back up the save just in case! thanks a lot! Will have to try this when I get home from work and hopefully it works!

I only ever play in parties, sometimes we have players in our party that are non legacy 40s, 30s or even lower. I don't really like playing solo though, and I don't think I'd still be playing UC3 if it weren't for my friends.

Oh god, definitely hate when that happens. Also when you're in a match and its going alright but then suddenly you run into somebody with a bad connection in the match and you get the unplugged symbol in the middle of the screen and you can't move at all. Doesn't happen too often but its annoying when it does.
I'll play with a few friends once in a while too and playing with them definitely boosts up my enjoyment of the game, but unfortunately sometimes I don't get to play with them so I roll solo. Although it's quite frustrating going alone in TDM because of unbalanced teams (especially with the DLC), the challenge for me is to try and pull a decent score at the end of the match and I usually do with weapons like the AK47 and Dragon Sniper. I try not to quit unless I'm playing Team Objective and I see that none of my team mates care about doing or helping me out in the objectives...that's when I'll quit because it's just not worth it or fair to me that I'm putting all my effort for nothing. I'll still play UC3 with all its bullshit, because at the end of the day, the game at its core is what keeps me entertained. Friends is a big bonus too.

As for the connection symbol, I haven't gotten them that much lately. Maybe I'm lucky!

Co-op all the way! Has anyone been able to play arena on the new maps? I'm hoping it isn't too rare.
Yep, I've played a few matches with randoms on the two new maps!

Mr. Benjiman, I haven't bumped into you in ages in Team Objective. :(

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Today our party of 5 got paired up against new players, level 7, 12, 13 and two in their 40s. I felt really bad killing them. :( why don't the new players get paired up with other new players? I'd rather play with legacy players than the new players.

been playing the game for awhile now, and got to the desert part.

Not feeling "it" as much as 2. It doesn't have the flow of local like 2 does.

It is more of Uncharted

Sushen

The game is fun and I like it. BUT! It takes a long time to load. In fact, I time it. 32 seconds to get to the warning screen. 54 seconds to the main menu. 75 seconds to have my game loaded and start playing. Maybe, iPad spoiled me, but I felt it's pretty bad.

Alex

They should do a spin off with Sully in the past, maybe a bit less cinematic and smaller in scope, but a bit more open to explore. I'd buy that shit twice.

finished it.
I really like the last stage leading to the final boss battle. seeing that stage for the first time. beautiful
At the end charted 2 for me is better.

I don't mind Sully spin-off. Maybe as a thief. Less pew pew..more sneak

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
SxP, your suggestion worked like a charm! My sound settings are finally saved! thanks.

i got to play on the village today in Team Objective by joining a match in progress....that makes it like 3 times that I've played on The Flashback Map #2 in the competitive side. What a fucking disappointment. :|

Today our party of 5 got paired up against new players, level 7, 12, 13 and two in their 40s. I felt really bad killing them. :( why don't the new players get paired up with other new players? I'd rather play with legacy players than the new players.
Here's what happens whenever there's a party of 5 vs. another party of 5 involving legacy players: The losing party will always rage quit to save their fake, worthless stats. Maybe that's why matchmaking never groups parties of 5 together, because they'll just end up rage quitting whenever they're getting stomped. those kind of people would rather search in matchmaking again hoping to get matched up with noobs just so that they can destroy them and boost their kdr's, which is what happens like 95% of the time in Team Deathmatch. At the sight of a challenge where they have to *gasp* put effort into winning, they'll just give up and leave the game.

Yeah, I think the problem that ND faces with putting too many filters on their MP is that the player pool isn't large enough to support it. UC3 is definitely very popular, but I'd guess that a 'No parties' filter would remove too much of the player base to get reliable matchmaking at all times.

Tokubetsu

Yeah, I think the problem that ND faces with putting too many filters on their MP is that the player pool isn't large enough to support it. UC3 is definitely very popular, but I'd guess that a 'No parties' filter would remove too much of the player base to get reliable matchmaking at all times.

This is still better than getting totally bumfucked by legacy players. Let them play against people of their skill level and continually rage quit on each other.

I don't ragequit and I enjoy challenging games with lag-free players (aka 4-5 bars), but sorry, I am not willing to be raped by [MEX] [BRA] [CHLE] [ARG] [CHN] [JPN] [KSA] lag. ;)

Top Bottom