• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Elios83

Damn I've been trying to get it early today but no one has started selling it early here.
I guess I'll play it when a lot of you will have already finished it.

Loudninja

RyanardoDaVinci said:
If you just run through at a somewhat brisk pace, not collecting/actively searching for treasures, 7hrs is pretty expected.

U1/U2 took me over 10hrs each the first time because I look for them shines!
The treasures are not just shiny anymore, you can actually see them!

Toki767

EloquentM said:
but you're a beast wario can't say the same for the other GAFfers playing on hard.
9 hours was my playtime for playing hard the first time. I got 53 of the treasures so at least I did half. Not sure I want to do crushing even though I did it for 2.

I just realized I still have to cancel my Gamestop pre-order.

Raonak

Banned
I don't care too much about the skins, but weapon select and infinite ammo will be a loss. :(

But cutscene viewer is the biggest loss. that really needs to be patched in, I can't imagine it being hard at all right? All you're doing is playing video files, it's not like it could create much bugs.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
9 hours and 11 minutes for me on Hard. Got 60% of the treasures and took my time looking for them whenever I could.

cackhyena said:
So the last boss was either a pain to do the way they wanted, or a cake walk/cheese fest by hanging off the edge of the platform in 2. Anything as frustrating this go around?
END BOSS DIFFICULTY SPOILERS
It wasn't frustrating at all, a little bit short and easy IMO.
END BOSS DIFFICULTY SPOILERS

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Toki767 said:
9 hours was my playtime for playing hard the first time. I got 53 of the treasures so at least I did half. Not sure I want to do crushing even though I did it for 2.

I just realized I still have to cancel my Gamestop pre-order.

The Xtortionist said:
I beat Uncharted 1 in 5 hours and 19 minutes on Crushing so there

*starts eating crows*

Wario64 said:
Yes. You'll find out like 5 seconds into the game.

Fatboy_reacts.gif

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So whats the plan with all the DLC skins for multiplayer? Are they all gonna be part of the Fortune Hunters club? Most of them were just redone skins from U2/U2 DLC...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Killthee said:
So whats the plan with all the DLC skins for multiplayer? Are they all gonna be part of the Fortune Hunters club? Most of them were just redone skins from U2/U2 DLC...

Paid DLC and part of season pass I bet. I like how they show you the skin/model on the screen but you can't choose it because there's a shopping cart next to the skin name indicating that you need to buy it. So awful

Neuromancer said:
Is there a particular meaning or reason behind the thread title?

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

- T. E. Lawrence.

Wario64 said:
Paid DLC and part of season pass I bet. I like how they show you the skin/model on the screen but you can't choose it because there's a shopping cart next to the skin name indicating that you need to buy it. So awful

1. That is fucking ridiculous.

2. I knew it.

I now seriously stand by my earlier prediction (which was originally a joke) that the first 4 map packs in the Fortune Hunter shit will be:

The Village / The Plaza
The Lost City / The Sanctuary
The Temple / The Ice Cave
The Train Wreck / The Fort

idon'twantoliveonthisplanetanymore.jpg

Massa

Wario64 said:

Meh, it's skins. In my perfect world all real content (like missions and map packs) would be free and developers would make money on useless stuff like skins and hats.

Has anyone seen the Giant Bomb quick look for this yet? I'm trying to decide if I'll regret watching it or not. My media blackout has been going well so far, but I kinda wanna actually see some of the game now.

Ricky_R

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

- T. E. Lawrence.

You left "This, I did"

I know it's not part of the original quote, but I thought it was strong.

gdt

Solo said:
7 hours on your first playthrough? Damn, shortest Uncharted yet it would seem.

I don't put much stock into it. I seem to be really slow at finishing games. UC1=7 hours, UC2=10. I'm hoping for 10, I guess.

Recently, in Dark Souls, people were wrapping it up at 40 hours, my jaw dropped. I finished it off at 75.

jackdoe

autobzooty said:
Has anyone seen the Giant Bomb quick look for this yet? I'm trying to decide if I'll regret watching it or not. My media blackout has been going well so far, but I kinda wanna actually see some of the game now.
It's a thirty minute run through. I stopped five minutes in as thirty minutes going through an entire chapter is just too much.

cajunator

Banned
What really amazes me is people who buy these games and pretty much within two days they are talking about the endgame already. It's like "fuck, guys, you can take your time with the game you know. enjoy it a little bit".

gdt

cajunator said:
What really amazes me is people who buy these games and pretty much within two days they are talking about the endgame already. It's like "fuck, guys, you can take your time with the game you know. enjoy it a little bit".

No way man. I'm gonna blaze through this thing. It's gonna consume my soul.

Jarmel

Banned
arne said:
Well, the studio is pretty empty today, but that question of what could get patched in has been raised by a few of us if it's at all possible. Although that is specific to the cutscene viewer. Everything else I know has no chance to getting patched in, since that entire system of SP game modifications isn't present to begin with.

I for one vote for a cutscene viewer.

cajunator said:

If I do an 8hr playthrough in one day; and you play 2hrs a day, over four days: the same amount of time is spent by both of us.

What's the problem?

cajunator

Banned
I dunno. We wait so damned long for all the games to come out. May as well space out the playtime to days or weeks instead of a couple cram sessions. I know gamers are all different but it just seems like people blow their load over a game in a short span of time and that's why there are all these "my console is gathering dust" comments all the time.

cajunator said:
and that's why there are all these "my console is gathering dust" comments all the time.

I'll probably finish it in a few sittings, mainly because I won't be able to put it down, but also because of the plethora of other November releases.

gdt

cajunator said:
I dunno. We wait so damned long for all the games to come out. May as well space out the playtime to days or weeks instead of a couple cram sessions. I know gamers are all different but it just seems like people blow their load over a game in a short span of time and that's why there are all these "my console is gathering dust" comments all the time.

Not me, I've played every big came in the last few weeks, except Rage and Battlefield. Again, Dark Souls was 75 hours in a week and a half, a massive time investment. Shit is busy. I will savor UC3, but I wont space it out. I got a feeling I'm gonna wanna keep playing all the time. UC1 wasn't like that, but I beat UC2 in like two or three sittings. 2 days.

And buttloads of games are coming out (and I'll probably pick up Rage and BF3 before the end of the year).

jackdoe

brandonh83 said:
I'll probably finish it in a few sittings, mainly because I won't be able to put it down, but also because of the plethora of other November releases.
Definitely. With all the releases, you tend to have to finish a game within a week. A couple of years ago, I blasted through Gears of War 2 in two days to get to the game that was coming out the week after, and this year, I'll be blasting through Arkham City on the PC to get to Skyward Sword.

cajunator said:

To each his own, then.

My mindset is: I've already waited X years for this -- I'm not waiting any longer!

SamBishop

Banned
So fine, I'll be the jerk who spoils the love-in and say that I think the gunplay is weak sauce. I'm starting the Crushing run tonight (jeebus help me), and I'll be perfectly frank: the first half is so incredible that it makes the middle feel like a slog. The shootouts in this game have lost their appeal; the controls are too clunky, the situations too unfair and I think it hurts (read: doesn't ruin) the story, which is absolutely fantastic.

I was so in love with this game... until it hit its midsection. It bogs down so much, gets so caved-in with gunplay, that it ruins the flow. At the end of the whole production (and make no mistake, this is now officially in the realm of "a movie you can play"), it just sags so goddamn much. On NORMAL I was dying and restarting so much I couldn't believe it (129 deaths, almost all of them in the middle of the game). There's something to be said for spectacle, but there's infinitely more to be said for balance and pacing. It all grinds to a halt in the middle, and though it picks up toward the end, there were parts that put the plane in the first game or the yeti-duders in the second to shame. To shame!

In the end, I loved the narrative. In fact, I feel this is the strongest, most nuanced story the series has seen yet, but man, when the actual gameplay gets in the way, you do run the risk of opening the debate of flash over substance, and this is an apt and willing subject for that debate.

For the record, I have read no reviews, and I won't until mine is done, but I have some serious issues with this game, and they are full-bore ones that place the gunplay at the center of a series that has lept so far above any other game in terms of presentation, but the game... man, the game has suffered. It just hasn't moved from its origin. Not even a bit.

cajunator said:

There's no time to artificially stretch out a campaign if you're one of the people currently in a storm of new releases. Co-op and competitive multiplayer will add tons of hours for most anyway, it's not like people are blasting through the campaign and putting the game in the closet :p

jackdoe said:
Definitely. With all the releases, you tend to have to finish a game within a week. A couple of years ago, I blasted through Gears of War 2 in two days to get to the game that was coming out the week after, and this year, I'll be blasting through Arkham City on the PC to get to Skyward Sword.

I'll admit that I ended up rushing through Dark Souls, if you can call 2 weeks worth of non-stop play "rushing" through something (depends on your POV I guess) to be able to have it finished before Arkham City, but then after the absolutely mind-blowing environments and secrets and intense fights of Dark Souls, Batman was a pure fucking bore by comparison.

And Batman is a fine game. I would have probably enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if it were released during a drought. All these games coming out though is really jarring, and it makes it hard to enjoy everything on the level they were meant to be.

I think there'll be ample time between Uncharted 3 and Skyrim, but then Creed is like 4 days later and Skyward Sword is that Sunday... fucking hell. That's not even to mention Mario 3D Land. Or LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7.

Ricky_R said:
Don't play with me... It links to youtube, but no video.

I said "there will be a cutscene viewer by the end of next week" meaning that most of the cutscenes, if not all, from Uncharted 3 will be on Youtube by the end of the week.

Ricky_R

brandonh83 said:
I said "there will be a cutscene viewer by the end of next week" meaning that most of the cutscenes, if not all, from Uncharted 3 will be on Youtube by the end of the week.

haha yeah I figured a while later. Still, it's not the same at all for me.

gdt

AC was awesome, but it couldn't help but pale a bit next to Dark Souls, one of the greatest games I've ever played.

Still debating whether or not to get Skyrim. I HATED ESIV, but LOVED Fallout 3 and NV. I'm not sure if I just don't like fantasy, but I love The Witcher, and I really like DA, and DAII moreso (I know I know). If I can wait on Skyrim for a reception, I could clear some time for whatever.

Ricky_R said:
haha yeah I figured a while later. Still, it's not the same at all for me.

Well for me when I'm on my triple I'm on there to play games and not watch cutscenes... if I want to watch cutscenes from a game I'll get on Youtube. Just saying... cutscene viewers in games aren't a necessity IMO.

I'm sure there's a Metal Gear burn on the way.

Massa

cajunator said:

I never understood that saying - my consoles gathering dust are the ones being used. The <edited> I owned for years without barely using was always protected with a small cover.

gdt

It sucks to lose those modifyers, but Arne says it breaks the game. That's it, not much more to be said. Unless you're calling him a liar and all.

Cutscene viewer isn't a loss to me at all. I can't remember ever just watching cutscenes. I just replay it.

Or yeah, youtube for the desperate.

Ricky_R

brandonh83 said:
Well for me when I'm on my triple I'm on there to play games and not watch cutscenes... if I want to watch cutscenes from a game I'll get on Youtube. Just saying... cutscene viewers in games aren't a necessity IMO.

I'm sure there's a Metal Gear burn on the way.

Well, I use my PS3 for as many things as I can and sometimes I like to showcase the game's cut-scenes and playing them straight from the PS3 makes them look great. Sometimes I go through them with my gf too.

I just like the feature, but I already said that I understand that most people will find it unimportant, but for me it is. Anyway, I'm not demanding it or anything, I'm just annoyed.

Top Bottom