• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

facepalm007 said:
Just finished it just a few minutes ago, 9 hour play through on hard in about 2 sittings (had to eat dinner ^-^), and enjoyed it for the most part.

Visually awesome, great sound and voice acting, and exciting from start to finish. I liked the villains in this installment more than the previous two. The final boss fight in this one is definitely my favorite of the 3, although I thought it was a bit too easy. And the puzzles were great this time around...actually had to use my brain for some of them.

But some parts (one large part in particular) felt like fillers and only used just for the set pieces. There were also times I felt frustrated with the game, primarily deaths due to grenade launchers.

I feel rather indifferent about the story, the general plot and Sully/Drake relationship pieces are great, but I wanted to know more about the villains and their personal drives and motivations (especially with how some of them react near the ending). There was also some characters who felt like MacGuffins, with no other purpose but plot/set piece conveniences. There were other unanswered questions especially in lieu of character information that was given throughout the game.

To me it didn't feel as put together as Among Thieves in terms of story and characters, but this one felt way more intense.

Personally I liked the second installment more than this one, but I definitely enjoyed this ride and will play it again.

Preface: haven't played 3. I got Uncharted 2 last summer for about 20 bucks on Amazon, and enjoyed it quite a bit (I'd borrowed/finished 1 as well). But I universally suck at MP, so I just played SP. And what an SP it was. As much as I loved it though, I'm cool with waiting until this one's cheaper. Uncharted's a real puzzle for me because I feel like I should love it without question like everybody else, there's a lot about it that I like. Just can't get it together for this series for some reason. The linearity is a real drawback for me. It always feels like you're the focal point of something awesome that falls apart the minute you try to think for yourself.

Anyway, not trying to shit up the thread, but you're not alone.

Toki767

I will definitely say as I've said before that Uncharted 2 had better pacing. The problem with Uncharted 3 in terms of presentation is that it feels like they were trying to outdo themselves based on Uncharted 2. While they may succeed in the set pieces, the overall pace and placement of them kind of seemed like it was an afterthought.

I kind of wish that this is the last Uncharted game (not really counting Golden Abyss since that isn't a numbered game). It definitely felt like a great way for the Nathan Drake character to end.

Toki767

EloquentM said:
so many mixed impression =/
Haha. The thing is the Uncharted series has always been the epitome of a summer blockbuster movie. A lot of flash and very enjoyable to experience, but things like storytelling, pacing, and other things are always up for debate in a love it or hate it kind of way. It's been that way for all 3 games.

EloquentM said:
so many mixed impression =/

Honestly, I felt mixed about it when I finished it. I initially thought I enjoyed U2 more, then I went back and really thought about it. Certain parts (the parts shown in the trailers/commercials) when you're playing them, you think "this is cool, but I want to get through it to get to an awesome part I haven't seen yet." And during an awesome part you haven't seen yet, you're thinking "okay, so probably next up is /this/ sequence I've seen in the trailer, I want to play through to get to that." That probably won't be an issue with people who are on media blackout.

Then the game ends and you're like "wait, that's it?" and you realize you spent the whole game looking forward to the next part, and it all sinks in and you realize the game was pretty freaking awesome as a whole. I was actually going to make an 8/10 joke when I immediately finished it, but after letting it sink in I realized I enjoyed it a lot more.

There's only one thing I'm really annoyed about, but I won't talk about it (even spoilered, because I know it tempts people and I don't want to do that to fellow Uncharted ans) until other people have gotten/played it, because it relates to the progression of the game.

Toki767

darkwing said:
i know right? in fact I wouldn't mind an all exploration and puzzle solving Uncharted spin off lol
I'd love this. In some ways I think the shooting aspect really holds the game back. Like it's there because shooters are popular. I know people who love platforming and puzzle solving that just end up watching a stream of Uncharted games instead of playing the actual game because they don't like shooters.

Morue

Managed to get a copy yesterday. Got to chapter 7 and love it so far, especially chapters 2 and 3. Puzzles are definitely harder than in the previous games, which is nice.

But what do I learn? No tweaks for sp? So no Doughnut Drake?

And no cutscene viewer either? What the hell? I loved watching cutscenes in U1 and U2...
T_T T_T

Pranay

One Reason I hope ND Continues to make more uncharted games as i feel the series still have potential in terms of evolving in a gameplay point of few and im sure with a more powerful device they will be making a next big step up in the franchise. Also would prefer a new IP as well =)

Subway beta is still fucked. 90% of my deaths are to people running around in circles blindfiring then meleeing. Not my idea of fun and rewarding gameplay.

Pranay

Morue said:
Managed to get a copy yesterday. Got to chapter 7 and love it so far, especially chapters 2 and 3. Puzzles are definitely harder than in the previous games, which is nice.

But what do I learn? No tweaks for sp? So no Doughnut Drake?

And no cutscene viewer either? What the hell? I loved watching cutscenes in U1 and U2...
T_T T_T

oops it seems not xD

I'd love this. In some ways I think the shooting aspect really holds the game back. Like it's there because shooters are popular. I know people who love platforming and puzzle solving that just end up watching a stream of Uncharted games instead of playing the actual game because they don't like shooters.
i love the shooting in uncharted 3
Most mixed reactions are comming from the shooting which is wierd

SamBishop said:
On NORMAL I was dying and restarting so much I couldn't believe it (129 deaths, almost all of them in the middle of the game)

yeah... I'm thinking the problem might lie with the player and not the game here.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Just finished chapter 17. Am i the only one that feels UC2 had better gunplay ? This seems weird, in a bad way. Same for how you move Drake around, sometimes it feels it's too much animated, like they want to make his moves feel more real, but it turns out not that great most of the times. So far i liked UC2 better. Hope something in the next chapters will blow my mind.

Kandrick said:
Just finished chapter 17. i am the only one that feels UC2 had better gunplay ? This seems weird, in a bad way. So far i liked UC2 better. Hope something in the next chapters will blow my mind.

Maybe because UC2's recoil was vertical while UC3's is in all directions?

ZeroRay

The shooting in UC2 was great, cover system was good too but needed a bit of tweaking. Encounter design was top notch.

I hope they didn't make the combat here worse somehow.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I feel like I need to play it again in normal or easy to experience the melee moves better, I would get stuck in a brawl and everyone around me just starts shooting me. Not looking forward to playing it on Crushing

ZeroRay said:
I hope they didn't make the combat here worse somehow.
It's better imho. But the shooting sequences REQUIRE you to move often. If you stay just behind one cover the enemies always come up to you, or flank you.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Tryckser said:
It's better imho. But the shooting sequences REQUIRE you to move often. If you stay just behind one cover the enemies always come up to you, or flank you.

That and in a lot of cases, ennemies come from all over, surrounding you, above and below you, and it can get kinda hard sometimes. Way more than in than previous uncharted games.

ZeroRay

Tryckser said:

That actually sounds great and more like the return of UC1's combat. Too often in UC2 you could just turtle up and finish a scenario, especially on the easier difficulties.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
ZeroRay said:
That actually sounds great and more like the return of UC1's combat. Too often in UC2 you could just turtle up and finish a scenario, especially on the easier difficulties.

"sounds great" yeah, until you notice that the AI is kinda weird, like they rush you, and take cover next to you, looking at other directions, and stay there for a few seconds doing nothing.

stealth edit: on Hard difficulty, not even easy or very easy.

Pranay_ said:
i love the shooting in uncharted 3
Most mixed reactions are comming from the shooting which is wierd

My theory on this is that a few players who suck at may not be very experienced at shooters where guns have actual recoil are dying a lot and getting frustrated. And in their death and frustration proclaiming that the shooting mechanics are worse than UC2.

ZeroRay

Kandrick said:
"sounds great" yeah, until you notice that the AI is kinda weird, like they rush you, and take cover next to you, looking at other directions, and stay there for a few seconds doing nothing.

stealth edit: on Hard difficulty, not even easy or very easy.

Damn, you're not the first to bring up AI problems. Hopefully it's patched out.

Kandrick said:

I wish I had your AI. The AI in my game was all precision shooters that took me to black and white if I was out of cover for a second, and if I got flanked I was dead before I even noticed the AI had flanked me.

Loudninja

Incendiary said:
I wish I had your AI. The AI in my game was all precision shooters that took me to black and white if I was out of cover for a second, and if I got flanked I was dead before I even noticed the AI had flanked me.
The Ai in the last 2 games did that often.

Kandrick said:
Just finished chapter 17. Am i the only one that feels UC2 had better gunplay ? This seems weird, in a bad way. Same for how you move Drake around, sometimes it feels it's too much animated, like they want to make his moves feel more real, but it turns out not that great most of the times. So far i liked UC2 better. Hope something in the next chapters will blow my mind.

You are not the only one. I'm in chapter 19 right now and there were some great setpieces so far but I don't think that the last few chapters are going to change my opinion. I stil think U2 is the better game.

dreamfall

darkwing said:
i know right? in fact I wouldn't mind an all exploration and puzzle solving Uncharted spin off lol

Goodness, I really wish this would happen. Some more difficult puzzles, and just staring at these beautiful vistas.

rhino4evr

Incendiary said:
Honestly, I felt mixed about it when I finished it. I initially thought I enjoyed U2 more, then I went back and really thought about it. Certain parts (the parts shown in the trailers/commercials) when you're playing them, you think "this is cool, but I want to get through it to get to an awesome part I haven't seen yet." And during an awesome part you haven't seen yet, you're thinking "okay, so probably next up is /this/ sequence I've seen in the trailer, I want to play through to get to that." That probably won't be an issue with people who are on media blackout.

Then the game ends and you're like "wait, that's it?" and you realize you spent the whole game looking forward to the next part, and it all sinks in and you realize the game was pretty freaking awesome as a whole. I was actually going to make an 8/10 joke when I immediately finished it, but after letting it sink in I realized I enjoyed it a lot more.

There's only one thing I'm really annoyed about, but I won't talk about it (even spoilered, because I know it tempts people and I don't want to do that to fellow Uncharted ans) until other people have gotten/played it, because it relates to the progression of the game.
Next time dont spoil yourself

I came to the realization that every time I have to shoot in this game I want to throw my ps3 out the window.

Also some enemy encounters in this game is set in a way that you have to kill them in a specific order as to not get killed yourself, which is sort of stupid considering the "shooter" element in this game is the only real freedom of control you'll actually get.

Man

Pranay_ said:
i dont see any backlash @_@, lol
It's planting seeds of doubt alluring to a previous discussion that actually never took place.

'Too bad about the negative vibes surrounding the later game'.

'Game seems good despite the obvious flaws.'

etc.

Truth is i expect some people will like 2 over 3.
I mean some people like 1 over 2 but for me i like set pieces so if 3 got better one i will most likely this one more.
From reading so far seem some people have problems with the shooting or from dieing to much .

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The difficulty sounds pretty high. I suck at action games so I'm kinda dreading playing U3 on anything higher than very easy, LOL. Prolly gonna take me a few weeks minimum to complete it on normal :p

rhino4evr

Raitosaito said:
I came to the realization that every time I have to shoot in this game I want to throw my ps3 out the window.

Also some enemy encounters in this game is set in a way that you have to kill them in a specific order as to not get killed yourself, which is sort of stupid considering the "shooter" element in this game is the only real freedom of control you'll actually get.
Next time throw it out the window. Don't hold back your true feelings

Hypereides

Gold Member
TheExecutive said:
Wait, so people are actually saying the story is weaker than UC2? I do not like the sound of that.

I havent played the game... but from what Ive seen the game is more story-heavy than the previous 2.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
isamu said:
The difficulty sounds pretty high. I suck at action games so I'm kinda dreading playing U3 on anything higher than very easy, LOL. Prolly gonna take me a few weeks minimum to complete it on normal :p

You can change the difficulty at any checkpoint in the game. If let's say hard is too hard. Press start change the difficulty to normal play this chapter and go back to hard.

btw. UC3 > UC2

Don't get me wrong, i love UC2 to death but i think UC3 tops it.

Pranay

Sn4ke_911 said:
You can change the difficulty at any checkpoint in the game. If let's say hard is too hard. Press start change the difficulty to normal play this chapter and go back to hard.

btw. UC3 > UC2

Don't get me wrong, i love UC2 to death but i think UC3 tops it.

can you give a Final impression of the game ?

Top Bottom