• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Ricky_R said:
I just like the feature, but I already said that I understand that most people will find it unimportant, but for me it is. Anyway, I'm not demanding it or anything, I'm just annoyed.

Sure. And it's definitely weird, as cutscene viewers are so common and with a game that got so much work and care put into the cutscenes, a game that is very cinematic, it's particularly bizarre.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
gdt5016 said:
It's not a loss to me, but I don't know why it isn't there. That is odd.
Arne said the system that allows those cheats creates a lot of nasty bugs in the game that they probably didn't have the time to fix.

SamBishop said:
So fine, I'll be the jerk who spoils the love-in and say that I think the gunplay is weak sauce. I'm starting the Crushing run tonight (jeebus help me), and I'll be perfectly frank: the first half is so incredible that it makes the middle feel like a slog. The shootouts in this game have lost their appeal; the controls are too clunky, the situations too unfair and I think it hurts (read: doesn't ruin) the story, which is absolutely fantastic.

I was so in love with this game... until it hit its midsection. It bogs down so much, gets so caved-in with gunplay, that it ruins the flow. At the end of the whole production (and make no mistake, this is now officially in the realm of "a movie you can play"), it just sags so goddamn much. On NORMAL I was dying and restarting so much I couldn't believe it (129 deaths, almost all of them in the middle of the game). There's something to be said for spectacle, but there's infinitely more to be said for balance and pacing. It all grinds to a halt in the middle, and though it picks up toward the end, there were parts that put the plane in the first game or the yeti-duders in the second to shame. To shame!

In the end, I loved the narrative. In fact, I feel this is the strongest, most nuanced story the series has seen yet, but man, when the actual gameplay gets in the way, you do run the risk of opening the debate of flash over substance, and this is an apt and willing subject for that debate.

For the record, I have read no reviews, and I won't until mine is done, but I have some serious issues with this game, and they are full-bore ones that place the gunplay at the center of a series that has lept so far above any other game in terms of presentation, but the game... man, the game has suffered. It just hasn't moved from its origin. Not even a bit.

I want to disagree with you, Sam. And I will. You mark my words.

Ricky_R

brandonh83 said:
Sure. And it's definitely weird, as cutscene viewers are so common and with a game that got so much work and care put into the cutscenes, a game that is very cinematic, it's particularly bizarre.

Exactly.

Oh well... That sure ain't gonna rain on my first of November anyway.

jackdoe

brandonh83 said:
The only reason I can think of it not being included is that they budget the time for such features near the end of development and that their last minute game breaking bug kept them from it. Or it could be a gross oversight. Either way, it shouldn't be difficult to implement at all as the cutscenes are video files.

SamBishop

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I want to disagree with you, Sam. And I will. You mark my words.

Your words are where we can combat most! Please, tell me where you differ! The game is out (to some), so let us keep our discussion spoiler-free, but there is no harm in our disagreement happening here!

(Seriously, dude, let's get it out, because I think this is the rare time when embargoes won't stop us from just discussing pre-release. In fact, I don't even know if there's been a situation where we can do discourse before the game is out, so please!)

cajunator

Banned
I guess osme of you got a point. I do have a Wii/Ps3/360 backlog that is about 25 games long. It does tend to get away from you if you collect a lot of games.

-GOUKI-

flashmedialiveencoder20x.jpg

flashmedialiveencoder20h.jpg

There's more in the console screenshot thread if you want them. No spoilers ;)

SamBishop said:
Your words are where we can combat most! Please, tell me where you differ! The game is out (to some), so let us keep our discussion spoiler-free, but there is no harm in our disagreement happening here!

(Seriously, dude, let's get it out, because I think this is the rare time when embargoes won't stop us from just discussing pre-release. In fact, I don't even know if there's been a situation where we can do discourse before the game is out, so please!)

I was just messing, just hoping that I don't agree with your negativity on that section of the game. :)

Naughty Dog seems like that they were really rushed and on an extremely tight schedule that allowed no room for error(s). I understand that Sony views this as their premier title and needed an enormous game out for the holidays, but I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't allow them to take their time.

RE5 got a lot of things right and I really wish that Naughty Dog would look to their method of prolonging the single player experience after you've beaten the game. I understand that RE5 had a longer dev cycle, but how cool would it have been if Uncharted 3 incorporated in game action figure unlockables like RE5 and RE4 did?

Shadow780

I like the end-game sequence in this game, UC2 was stupid and frustrating.

Wow, what a ride, more than enough time I stopped and just marvel at the environments.

I think the story's a little weaker in certain aspects, but still enjoyable. I'll discuss it more in the spoiler thread.

SamBishop

Banned
ZeroRay said:
So Sam, is the shooting worse than UC2 or were just not a fan of it in any of the games?

I Platinumed both games, I think it's worse. But it's damn near impossible to say why without spoiling stuff, so will you give me a pass for next week?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Digishine said:
Nope only some draw pictures.

Edit: Wario64 Where are the video's ? :/
Right above the concept art. You beat the game on Normal right? Maybe it only unlocks when you beat it on Hard.

SamBishop

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
No unlockables...does that mean no behind the scenes videos?

You get them out of the box! There are some great BTS, don't worry.

-GOUKI- said:
Who wants me to post pictures of the ending? It looks so beautiful.

No, the actual ending does not, stop fucking with people.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Finished the game

Wow shame on Naughty Dog for
not having the balls to kill a major character and for leaving stuff out in the open. So what is Drake's real name? What was up with Elena's and Drake's ring? Drake's mother committing suicide, so where is his dad? Why was Talbot so attach to Marlowe? What drove Marlowe to want to poison everyone's water aside for being part of a cult?

next time round up the story and leave the set pieces for later
8/10

baekshi

Banned
Marius_ said:
Finished the game

Wow shame on Naughty Dog for
not having the balls to kill a major character and for leaving stuff out in the open. So what is Drake's real name? What was up with Elena's and Drake's ring? Drake's mother committing suicide, so where is his dad? Why was Talbot so attach to Marlowe? What drove Marlowe to want to poison everyone's water aside for being part of a cult?

next time round up the story and leave the set pieces for later
8/10
Uncharted 4: Return of Marlowe

SamBishop

Banned
Stallion Free said:
That SSAO looks atrocious.

Seriously, shut the fuck up. You have no idea how good the SSAO in this game is and must reserve comments for seeing it while playing. I'm not stating that as a jerk who has played the game(tm), but... no, I AM a jerk who has played the game.

Dump frames when it's out. Seriously.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SamBishop said:
Seriously, shut the fuck up. You have no idea how good the SSAO in this game is and must reserve comments for seeing it while playing. I'm not stating that as a jerk who has played the game(tm), but... no, I AM a jerk who has played the game.

Dump frames when it's out. Seriously.
Uh I was commenting on the picture, not how it looks in the game itself.

ZeroRay

SamBishop said:
I Platinumed both games, I think it's worse. But it's damn near impossible to say why without spoiling stuff, so will you give me a pass for next week?

That sucks. :(

I thought the embargo was over though, or was it just for reviews.

We're not safe anymore. The spoiler thread is both a necessity and the bane of my existence. It needs to be there but I have the weakest restraint ever.

Massa

SamBishop said:
So fine, I'll be the jerk who spoils the love-in and say that I think the gunplay is weak sauce. I'm starting the Crushing run tonight (jeebus help me), and I'll be perfectly frank: the first half is so incredible that it makes the middle feel like a slog. The shootouts in this game have lost their appeal; the controls are too clunky, the situations too unfair and I think it hurts (read: doesn't ruin) the story, which is absolutely fantastic.

In what way are you finding the situations unfair? Does it have anything to do with enemies having sniper rifles, RPG's or a huge amount of hit points?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Strider2K99 said:
Did they slightly change Elena's face from Uncharted 2? Something looks different about her.
She looks different, yes. All the other character models show an improvement though.

I finished it. It's worth it. I've yet to decide if it's better than U2 or not, but it's definitely in the top percentile of games this generation. Some of the setpieces are epic. You guys are in for some greatness.

darkwing

Incendiary said:
I finished it. It's worth it. I've yet to decide if it's better than U2 or not, but it's definitely in the top percentile of games this generation. Some of the setpieces are epic. You guys are in for some greatness.
are the puzzles harder this time? if it is, it's already better, UC2's were child's play

Stopped playing once I got to chapter 6 for the evening, but so far the game's absolutely fantastic. Game and music are amazing thus far.

Loved the 'flashback' chapters. So much fun to play, despite me dying more than a few times. Actually felt guiltier dying then than during the later chapters strangely.

I ended up purchasing the Fortune Hunters' dlc earlier this evening as well as redeemed my online pass that came with the game. Hopefully I'll be able to spend some time with the MP later.

Just finished it just a few minutes ago, 9 hour play through on hard in about 2 sittings (had to eat dinner ^-^), and enjoyed it for the most part.

Visually awesome, great sound and voice acting, and exciting from start to finish. I liked the villains in this installment more than the previous two. The final boss fight in this one is definitely my favorite of the 3, although I thought it was a bit too easy. And the puzzles were great this time around...actually had to use my brain for some of them.

But some parts (one large part in particular) felt like fillers and only used just for the set pieces. There were also times I felt frustrated with the game, primarily deaths due to grenade launchers.

I feel rather indifferent about the story, the general plot and Sully/Drake relationship pieces are great, but I wanted to know more about the villains and their personal drives and motivations (especially with how some of them react near the ending). There was also some characters who felt like MacGuffins, with no other purpose but plot/set piece conveniences. There were other unanswered questions especially in lieu of character information that was given throughout the game.

To me it didn't feel as put together as Among Thieves in terms of story and characters, but this one felt way more intense.

Personally I liked the second installment more than this one, but I definitely enjoyed this ride and will play it again.

GlamFM

Banned
SamBishop said:

I was so in love with this game... until it hit its midsection. It bogs down so much, gets so caved-in with gunplay, that it ruins the flow. At the end of the whole production (and make no mistake, this is now officially in the realm of "a movie you can play"), it just sags so goddamn much. On NORMAL I was dying and restarting so much I couldn't believe it (129 deaths, almost all of them in the middle of the game). There's something to be said for spectacle, but there's infinitely more to be said for balance and pacing. It all grinds to a halt in the middle, and though it picks up toward the end, there were parts that put the plane in the first game or the yeti-duders in the second to shame. To shame!

In the end, I loved the narrative. In fact, I feel this is the strongest, most nuanced story the series has seen yet, but man, when the actual gameplay gets in the way, you do run the risk of opening the debate of flash over substance, and this is an apt and willing subject for that debate.

For the record, I have read no reviews, and I won't until mine is done, but I have some serious issues with this game, and they are full-bore ones that place the gunplay at the center of a series that has lept so far above any other game in terms of presentation, but the game... man, the game has suffered. It just hasn't moved from its origin. Not even a bit.

Agree.

Top Bottom