• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

thuway

People in this thread need to quit jumping to conclusions.

Uncharted 2 was an incredible game. Uncharted 3 from the sounds of it is an incredible game.

Some people will prefer the prior, some the former. Let it go. At the very least, your going to enjoy it.

Gotdamn@GAF.

So guys, does Crushing unlock when you finish the game on any difficulty or do you HAVE to finish on Hard first? I just want to blaze through the game next week so I can start Crushing ASAP.

Samus4145

Any one know if Fortune Hunter pack will work for all accounts on the system? Download on one and play using the rest on the system?

Honestly, I can't really take all the people that are saying they're a bit disappointed with Uncharted 3 seriously if that means it's simply not as good as Uncharted 2.

I wish everyone would stop comparing it to Uncharted 2 and just enjoy it for what it is and judge it from its own merits. It's really not fair and down right confusing.

StevePharma said:
So guys, does Crushing unlock when you finish the game on any difficulty or do you HAVE to finish on Hard first? I just want to blaze through the game next week so I can start Crushing ASAP.

You don't have to beat hard to get crushing anymore.

Desiato

Tricky I Shadow said:
Honestly, I can't really take all the people that are saying they're a bit disappointed with Uncharted 3 seriously if that means it's simply not as good as Uncharted 2.

I wish everyone would stop comparing it to Uncharted 2 and just enjoy it for what it is and judge it from its own merits. It's really not fair and down right confusing.
But... It's the sequel to Uncharted 2. How is it unfair and confusing? That's normally what people do with sequels, they compare them to their predecessors.

darkwing

thuway said:
People in this thread need to quit jumping to conclusions.

Uncharted 2 was an incredible game. Uncharted 3 from the sounds of it is an incredible game.

Some people will prefer the prior, some the former. Let it go. At the very least, your going to enjoy it.

Gotdamn@GAF.

GAF is never happy, look at the whole review score mess, perfect or not , its a controversy lol

anyways, I'm guessing all of the MP maps are in the Subway promo now?

Sounds to me like people spoiled the game by watching too much media - I did this for U2 and knew every set piece going into it. I know next to nothing this time, it's gonna be sweet.

I'm up to chapter 10, and I'm surprised so far at the low number of shootouts compared to the other 2 games, which is not a negative. Sometimes you'll come to an area and see the typical waist high rock formations or crates, and say to yourself, "Okay, here comes a firefight.", and get ready for enemies to swarm in, only they never come, and instead you find yourself scouring the area for clues to a puzzle, or hidden treasure. Definitely a nice change of pace. The shootouts still rock of course, and I've figured out what was so different with the gunplay this time out; different recoil for each weapon, and quicker enemy movements. They are all over the place, at least on Hard, and you can't just sit behind cover and spam headshots like before. They will run up behind or beside you and blast your ass, or initiate a melee confrontation. You need to keep moving, that's for sure; makes the combat more visceral and difficult. AI will do stupid shit at times, lol, and I think they use the oversized henchman melee fight mechanic to much, complete with the same basic animations over and over.

So far I will say, at about the halfway point in the game, U3 pacing is definitely more deliberate than U2's, and not as much as a rollercoaster ride, which I think will divide some fans. Some will be itching for more action, while others will appreciate the focus on exploration and puzzles. Me, I find myself enjoying the characters and their banter so much that I enjoy the lulls in action. The relationship between Sully and Drake is fleshed out more, and you actually become overly protective of Sully; I know Drake is gonna be alright, but I can't lose this old man, lol. Great stuff so far; I can't really say which one is better yet, U2 or this, but it's more Uncharted, and I am content.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tricky I Shadow said:

Or its completely fair and given the impact Uncharted 2 had on a lot of people over Uncharted a solid means to judge personal impressions.

SamBishop said:
So fine, I'll be the jerk who spoils the love-in and say that I think the gunplay is weak sauce. I'm starting the Crushing run tonight (jeebus help me), and I'll be perfectly frank: the first half is so incredible that it makes the middle feel like a slog. The shootouts in this game have lost their appeal; the controls are too clunky, the situations too unfair and I think it hurts (read: doesn't ruin) the story, which is absolutely fantastic.
I'm not surprised to hear this because the gunplay in the Subway beta is awful, but I hope it will be at least less annoying in the SP because your not fighting against human enemies.

And done, my body was not ready.

What an amazing game. I didn't thought they could get out another game as good as Uncharted 2, but they just did... Naughty God <3

Good thing I went on media blackout after the first trailer ^^

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The only thing i can think of when someone says UC2 is better than Uncharted 3 is that he prefers snow over sand :p otherwise i can't think of something UC2 does better.

UC3

better graphics
better story
better controls (meele system)
better animations
better everything!

Ok maybe the length. Yes UC2 is longer BUT imo Uncharted 3 has more holy shit moments.

Desiato said:
But... It's the sequel to Uncharted 2. How is it unfair and confusing? That's normally what people do with sequels, they compare them to their predecessors.

EatChildren said:
Or its completely fair and given the impact Uncharted 2 had on a lot of people over Uncharted a solid means to judge personal impressions.

Hmmm...how do I put this? I don’t have a problem with comparing Uncharted 3 to the second one so long as you don’t solely use it as a measuring stick to determine how good a game Uncharted 3 is.

I just think people shouldn’t dock points off Uncharted 3 because it was less of an impact compared to Uncharted 2. I think people should compare the games like they both came out on the same day.

Took me 12hours because I literally replayed some chapters as soon as I finished them just to experience them again. If I had just blazed through without bothering with the treasures, I think 9-10ish would've been a decent completion estimate? I for one didn't have any issue with the gunplay, I was moving about a lot and doing a mixture of melee/hipfire/aim in most of the battles and it felt just right. One thing though is I kept running out of ammo a bit more than I wanted to in battles but I don't know if that was just my fault or it was design choice. Not a complaint as it amps up the intensity in my opinion. Big encounters are much more open to different plays so if you play it like a cover shooter or mirrors edge w/ guns, you are still going to be satisfied. Loved the puzzles and pacing.

All I know is the U3 BR is going to spinning in my PS3 for a pretty long time lol. I can't wait to run the co-op with some of PSNGAF :)

Good job ND! Now add the SP tweaks and cut scene viewer in a future patch and I'm all set!

Lyonaz

Got the game today, EU version, and does the online pass code not work yet? I get the usual already used/incorrect message when I enter it.
Anyways the game is great so far.

hullostranger said:
Took me 12hours because I literally replayed some chapters as soon as I finished them just to experience them again. If I had just blazed through without bothering with the treasures, I think 9-10ish would've been a decent completion estimate? I for one didn't have any issue with the gunplay, I was moving about a lot and doing a mixture of melee/hipfire/aim in most of the battles and it felt just right. One thing though is I kept running out of ammo a bit more than I wanted to in battles but I don't know if that was just my fault or it was design choice. Not a complaint as it amps up the intensity in my opinion. Big encounters are much more open to different plays so if you play it like a cover shooter or mirrors edge w/ guns, you are still going to be satisfied. Loved the puzzles and pacing.

All I know is the U3 BR is going to spinning in my PS3 for a pretty long time lol. I can't wait to run the co-op with some of PSNGAF :)

Good job ND! Now add the SP tweaks and cut scene viewer in a future patch and I'm all set!
Add me, PSN is perineumlick. I love co-op much more than competitive, can't wait for the U3 servers to go up. Sucks that we can't play it over the weekend. : /

BeeDog

The only real thing I want to know is; is there a lot of stuff in the game that has been left out of the official trailers/previews etc.? I hope all the media coverage hasn't spoiled the entire game.

BeeDog said:
The only real thing I want to know is; is there a lot of stuff in the game that has been left out of the official trailers/previews etc.? I hope all the media coverage hasn't spoiled the entire game.
You find that out in the first and second chapters. : )

darkwing

perineumlick said:
Add me, PSN is perineumlick. I love co-op much more than competitive, can't wait for the U3 servers to go up. Sucks that we can't play it over the weekend. : /
the game isn't even out yet :p

test_account

XP-39C²
I got this today :D

9aspyf.jpg

Still waiting for the Wooden Explorer edition, but i probably receive that on Monday. Kinda sucks that i'm not able to play the game before Monday at earliest anyway :\ Or maybe i get around to play alittle bit tomorrow.

Lyonaz said:
Got the game today, EU version, and does the online pass code not work yet? I get the usual already used/incorrect message when I enter it.
Anyways the game is great so far.

US copy here, my code got accepted just fine. Went online to confirm it and what not. Try again? Also, what/when do the beta rewards get dished out? After launch I'm sure but what exactly are they?

@perineumlick; Sure man! BTW I think the servers are already up because I could log in and made sure all my stats went through just fine.

BeeDog said:
I spoiled myself of those parts, so I'm aware what happens. :( What about the rest of the game?
Damn! That was a surprise for me, I thought it was pretty cool. Chateau has some elements that I didn't see before that were absolutely gorgeous, a lot of people will be posting screens of that, I'm sure. Only up to chapt. 10, and it's been pretty varied so far. Nothing I haven't seen yet, but put in the proper context it feels fresh.

Desmond

test_account said:
I got this today :D

9aspyf.jpg

Still waiting for the Wooden Explorer edition, but i probably receive that on Monday. Kinda sucks that i'm not able to play the game before Monday at earliest anyway :\ Or maybe i get around to play alittle bit tomorrow.
Mine shipped this morning

GlamFM

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:

This seems to be the stupidest most fanboyish thing i´ve read in this thread - so far...

pahamrick

Finally won a copy from the Subway contest! Now the long, agonizing wait to receive it begins. Has anyone else who won from Subway not received any confirmation / welcome emails from it? Not in my spam folder, either.

pahamrick said:
Finally won a copy from the Subway contest! Now the long, agonizing wait to receive it begins. Has anyone else who won from Subway not received any confirmation / welcome emails from it? Not in my spam folder, either.

I did get a confirmation email, but it took a while.

Grisby

darkwing said:
i know right? in fact I wouldn't mind an all exploration and puzzle solving Uncharted spin off lol
dreamfall said:
Goodness, I really wish this would happen. Some more difficult puzzles, and just staring at these beautiful vistas.

You guys need you some Tomb Raider.

Personally, I hope Uncharted doesn't get rid of the shooting. They made it fun in 2 and I think it blends well with the cinematic action take ND is going for.

perineumlick said:
I'm up to chapter 10, and I'm surprised so far at the low number of shootouts compared to the other 2 games, which is not a negative. Sometimes you'll come to an area and see the typical waist high rock formations or crates, and say to yourself, "Okay, here comes a firefight.", and get ready for enemies to swarm in, only they never come, and instead you find yourself scouring the area for clues to a puzzle, or hidden treasure. Definitely a nice change of pace. The shootouts still rock of course, and I've figured out what was so different with the gunplay this time out; different recoil for each weapon, and quicker enemy movements. They are all over the place, at least on Hard, and you can't just sit behind cover and spam headshots like before. They will run up behind or beside you and blast your ass, or initiate a melee confrontation. You need to keep moving, that's for sure; makes the combat more visceral and difficult. AI will do stupid shit at times, lol, and I think they use the oversized henchman melee fight mechanic to much, complete with the same basic animations over and over.

So far I will say, at about the halfway point in the game, U3 pacing is definitely more deliberate than U2's, and not as much as a rollercoaster ride, which I think will divide some fans. Some will be itching for more action, while others will appreciate the focus on exploration and puzzles. Me, I find myself enjoying the characters and their banter so much that I enjoy the lulls in action. The relationship between Sully and Drake is fleshed out more, and you actually become overly protective of Sully; I know Drake is gonna be alright, but I can't lose this old man, lol. Great stuff so far; I can't really say which one is better yet, U2 or this, but it's more Uncharted, and I am content.

This sounds awesome. I love the shooting, but the more deliberate slower parts of UC2 were pulled off so well.

TripOpt55

Damn... I can't wait to get this. I can't believe so many people are playing this early. I'm jealous! Wish I knew a place. I do want my CE though. I have off on Monday night (I work overnight), so I am going to get it at midnight and play all night! Going to be so fun.

Guevara

Chapter 12. It's not radically different than 2, but it seems better paced and a solid improvement thus far.

I also like that ND made some changes:
much more (mandatory) melee combat, which kind of feels like Arkham City combat, the Drake hallucination sequence, etc. There's been more exploration and much less shooting, which I think is great but some people won't.

dreamfall

And beaten.

It's absolutely stunning- the gun fights do feel a little more open in terms of approach and there seems like there are fewer (which I really do appreciate). Naughty Dog really has a penchant for creating some of the most beautiful levels EVER- seriously, jaw dropping.

Did I like Uncharted 2 better? Undeniably so. But is Uncharted 3 a better game? Probably.

Man I am whipping through this game much faster than I want.
Frankly guys your going to love this game and for many it will undeniably be your GOTY(Mind you I am not done yet, but I can't imagine the momentum will falter). It feels like ND looked back at the things they really liked about Uncharted 1 and 2 and merged them for 3. You have a lot more setup before the big pieces and exploration. The gun fights and melee have been refined to offer up the same exhilarating encounters only now they are even better implemented. I really don't know how you can say that its better than 2 but it is definitely just as good. Its hard to explain how that doesn't take anything away from the game but it doesn't it's exactly what I want. The only way I can explain it is with the LOTR trilogy. When you went to see the sequel and then the 3rd movie and sat down in that theater you knew what you were getting into and you knew you were going to love it. Some people have a specific movie that is there favorite. Other people love so many different moments from each movie that it combines to be a cohesive whole. That is what UC3 is for me. A cohesive whole.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Frankly guys your going to love this game and for many it will undeniably be your GOTY(Mind you I am not done yet, but I can't imagine the momentum will falter). It feels like ND looked back at the things they really liked about Uncharted 1 and 2 and merged them for 3. You have a lot more setup before the big pieces and exploration. The gun fights and melee have been refined to offer up the same exhilarating encounters only now they are even better implemented. I really don't know how you can say that its better than 2 but it is definitely just as good. Its hard to explain how that doesn't take anything away from the game but it doesn't it's exactly what I want. The only way I can explain it is with the LOTR trilogy. When you went to see the sequel and then the 3rd movie and sat down in that theater you knew what you were getting into and you knew you were going to love it. Some people have a specific movie that is there favorite. Other people love so many different moments from each movie that it combines to be a cohesive whole. That is what UC3 is for me. A cohesive whole.
Booooiiinnnggg! Can't wait.

Ricky_R

BruceLeeRoy said:

tumblr_lgkm6ofg4g1qb2cu1.gif

Top Bottom