• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Furoba

PaddyOCanager said:
Sounds to me like people spoiled the game by watching too much media - I did this for U2 and knew every set piece going into it. I know next to nothing this time, it's gonna be sweet.

Did the same thing, media blackout ftw!

Gvaz

Banned
SamBishop said:
Seriously, shut the fuck up. You have no idea how good the SSAO in this game is and must reserve comments for seeing it while playing. I'm not stating that as a jerk who has played the game(tm), but... no, I AM a jerk who has played the game.

Dump frames when it's out. Seriously.
It looks good for the hardware it's on, (rather absurd really that the ps3 can still push out that kind of quality with such old hardware) but he's right, the ssao is kind of bad.

Wario64 said:
I watched the launch trailer after beating the game. Holy crap spoilers ahoy :lol
=[ Maybe it's only in the proper context? I hope the game isn't ruined for me.

Just to be clear, do you mean characters, plot, or environment? Character and environment reveals in the trailer don't bother me but... if
the ring as the key and/or the giant wave is the big finale
, I'd be a little upset.

SamBishop

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Uh I was commenting on the picture, not how it looks in the game itself.

Yeah, that was weirdly hostile, sorry about that. There was definitely no need for me to be so harsh, and I apologize.

ZeroRay said:
That sucks. :(

I thought the embargo was over though, or was it just for reviews.

Oh there's no embargo anymore, I just don't want to talk specifics until more people have the chance to play through the game. Trying to keep my gripes as spoiler-free as possible.

Massa said:
In what way are you finding the situations unfair? Does it have anything to do with enemies having sniper rifles, RPG's or a huge amount of hit points?

There are some levels where the shootouts are 360 degree affairs. Moving between bits of cover is much harder now when you get ambushed from behind, and yes, there are definite sniper rifle/rocket launcher moments. Combined with the whole "endless waves of enemies" feel from previous games, some sections are just patently unfair in terms of what they make you do between checkpoints. Even on normal, the guys with explosives (RPGs, grenades, grenade launchers) are deadly accurate.

I restarted on Crushing and the on-screen indicators for melee combat are gone, which isn't a huge deal now, but some of the boss fights are going to be absolute murder. I don't think I'm going to be able to Platinum this game...

darkwing said:
be sure to post your impressions on the buckle and ring

Ring and buckle are quite nice actually :D The only thing I don't really like is what I bought for in the first place: the statue. The statue does not look like Nate imo...that's a bit of a letdown.
The suitcase is very nice though ( EU-version ).

Steve McQueen said:
Ring and buckle are quite nice actually :D The only thing I don't really like is what I bought for in the first place: the statue. The statue does not look like Nate imo...that's a bit of a letdown.
I could have told you that the first time they released pics of it a few months ago. It was the biggest reason I didn't buy the special edition.

Cruzader

Banned
SamBishop said:
Yeah, that was weirdly hostile, sorry about that. There was definitely no need for me to be so harsh, and I apologize.

Oh there's no embargo anymore, I just don't want to talk specifics until more people have the chance to play through the game. Trying to keep my gripes as spoiler-free as possible.

There are some levels where the shootouts are 360 degree affairs. Moving between bits of cover is much harder now when you get ambushed from behind, and yes, there are definite sniper rifle/rocket launcher moments. Combined with the whole "endless waves of enemies" feel from previous games, some sections are just patently unfair in terms of what they make you do between checkpoints. Even on normal, the guys with explosives (RPGs, grenades, grenade launchers) are deadly accurate.

I restarted on Crushing and the on-screen indicators for melee combat are gone, which isn't a huge deal now, but some of the boss fights are going to be absolute murder. I don't think I'm going to be able to Platinum this game...

First for all thank you for the first thing I highlighted. Not everyone has the game nor beat it. I'd say wait a few days after release to go more into it or just go to the spoiler thread.

As for the second part, I know Crushing on U2 is the same where you cant see the buttons on melee but it seems melee is more complex or something on U3. So my question to you is, should I just play normal then hard and last Crushing just to make sure we learn all the button commands or is that overkill? I mean thats how I normally play but I read playing on hard the first time is ok this time around but I hope that it doesnt make the game "tougher" on the sections you posted about.

I really hate that the new thing for stores around me is to charge 65 plus tax as opposed to 60 when they are selling games early. Now I have to decide if I care about this game enough to waste 7 bucks just to get the game 3 days earlier than I would if I just let Amazon ship it...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A little ways into my Uncharted 2 replay, and after watching the opening scenes again I have to ask; what the hell were you guys talking about in regards to a low poly bottle model during the pre-rendered scene of Drake at the bar?

I hope you weren't talking about the one he and the others were drinking from, because those were far from low poly. Something in the background I missed?

SamBishop

Banned
Cruzader said:
First for all thank you for the first thing I highlighted. Not everyone has the game nor beat it. I'd say wait a few days after release to go more into it or just go to the spoiler thread.

As for the second part, I know Crushing on U2 is the same where you cant see the buttons on melee but it seems melee is more complex or something on U3. So my question to you is, should I just play normal then hard and last Crushing just to make sure we learn all the button commands or is that overkill? I mean thats how I normally play but I read playing on hard the first time is ok this time around but I hope that it doesnt make the game "tougher" on the sections you posted about.

Of course! There are some parts in the game that are truly mind-blowing, and I wouldn't want to have them spoiled like a week before the game came out, that would just be cruel.

Definitely go through things on Normal or Hard first so you know what to expect. The melee is much more complex now; enemies will grapple you (hammer Circle to break the hold) and take swings that need to be reversed (tap Triangle). The reversable moves are telegraphed pretty well in one-on-one fights, but there are definitely parts where you're fighting multiple enemies, Batman-style, and it's just not as fluid or responsive as Batman, so you can take a lot of shots to the dome.

You'll definitely want to have some context for sections later in the game, but there are mini-boss encounters that pretty heavily use counter-attacks and grapple breaks, so you'll want to know what they look like to respond as quickly as possible. Not only that, but that game has a much heavier focus on meleeing enemies -- often in the middle of gunfights, so pulling off moves quickly is key. Familiarity is your friend.

jiggles

Banned
EatChildren said:
A little ways into my Uncharted 2 replay, and after watching the opening scenes again I have to ask; what the hell were you guys talking about in regards to a low poly bottle model during the pre-rendered scene of Drake at the bar?

I hope you weren't talking about the one he and the others were drinking from, because those were far from low poly. Something in the background I missed?
I'm also mid way through my U2 replay, and I'm actually blown away by what I'm seeing.

And not in a "I can't believe this is two years old" way. If this game came out today I'd be just as impressed. It hasn't aged a day.

Cruzader

Banned
SamBishop said:
Of course! There are some parts in the game that are truly mind-blowing, and I wouldn't want to have them spoiled like a week before the game came out, that would just be cruel.

Definitely go through things on Normal or Hard first so you know what to expect. The melee is much more complex now; enemies will grapple you (hammer Circle to break the hold) and take swings that need to be reversed (tap Triangle). The reversable moves are telegraphed pretty well in one-on-one fights, but there are definitely parts where you're fighting multiple enemies, Batman-style, and it's just not as fluid or responsive as Batman, so you can take a lot of shots to the dome.

You'll definitely want to have some context for sections later in the game, but there are mini-boss encounters that pretty heavily use counter-attacks and grapple breaks, so you'll want to know what they look like to respond as quickly as possible. Not only that, but that game has a much heavier focus on meleeing enemies -- often in the middle of gunfights, so pulling off moves quickly is key. Familiarity is your friend.
Wow that sounds so awesome! Didnt really know that since I have skipped all the media/interviews! Thanx for that info, sounds like Normal will be key but want to try Hard on my first play this time.

There's no way the story is weaker than Uncharted 2's. If it is it would literally have to have no story at all.

anyway, damn it Subway

Lyonaz

hullostranger said:
US copy here, my code got accepted just fine. Went online to confirm it and what not. Try again? Also, what/when do the beta rewards get dished out? After launch I'm sure but what exactly are they?

@perineumlick; Sure man! BTW I think the servers are already up because I could log in and made sure all my stats went through just fine.
Yeah I don't think the EU have the online passes in store yet, when I tried to purchase one to check if it's online it gave an error message. Oh well gives me more quality time with BF3.

Holy shit this game is amazing, GOTY so far. Who the fuck is Batman?

+ Story, new characters
+ Great environments
+ Animations...oh my god they are great
+ Graphics...I can't believe how good this game looks (better than U2 in every way)
+ Fighting system....so much fun.
+ More exploring, less shooting

- Game seems shorter than U2...after 3 Hours I'm at chapter 9...on normal :(
- Treasures are mostly very easy to find

Definately a 10/10 at the moment

d0c_zaius

perineumlick said:
Add me, PSN is perineumlick. I love co-op much more than competitive, can't wait for the U3 servers to go up. Sucks that we can't play it over the weekend. : /

I played coop with some people last night.

Feel free to add me on PSN if anyone is looking to do coop adventure/area/etc.

PSN:d0c_zaius

Cesar

Banned
Holy shit, this game. I'm in the
chateau
level, and the amount of detail, the lighting, the art...just wow. Incredible. Liking the story so far.

I don't really like the shooting controls though, it feels a bit "stiff". Having difficulties doing headshots, which wasn't a problem for me in U2.

The perfect Dark said:
Holy shit this game is amazing, GOTY so far. Who the fuck is Batman?
WHAT?! You mean a guy who has Nathan Drake as his avatar likes the Uncharted series better than any other games!?

yvL3G.jpg

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Cruzader said:
Wow that sounds so awesome! Didnt really know that since I have skipped all the media/interviews! Thanx for that info, sounds like Normal will be key but want to try Hard on my first play this time.
Hard isn't that hard. Nothing in it felt as cheap as the endless waves in U1 or U1 crushing IMO and it was about as hard as U2 in Hard. All the combat prompts except for the stealth one's are in Hard too. If you feel comfortable playing U2 in Hard/have beaten it in Crushing start on Hard in U3.

GlamFM

Banned
I´m having a lot more fun after turning the dificulty down.

I hated the shooting controls on hard. Now I have a little aim assist and the game is much more enjoyable.

Still I like UC2 a lot better - in almost every aspect, but UC3 is still a fantastic game everybody should play.

Not GOTY - at least for me. That´s Portal 2.

Rengoku

Impressions:

Finished the game earlier this morning. Originally the plan was to only play a couple hours last night, and then finish it up later on today, but I got hooked and couldn't put it down, so I just marathoned it through the night.

In total, it took a little over 12 hours on Hard, at regular pace, I didn't want to rush through it, and I did spend some time looking for treasures, but got about 60 or so. Overall I felt it was the perfect length considering I had completed UC2 in around the same time. I also had quite a few moments where I just stood there gawking at the environments or messing with drake's context sensitive animations.

Holy shit, was it a hell of a ride. This game.... the set pieces, the animation... Its amazing what ND has been able to accomplish, they didn't just rest on their laurels, this game is such an amazing technological showcase. The facial animations are outstanding and a substantial step up from the previous games, the glassy eyes are no more. Some of the dialogue scenes capture character emotions so well down to the subtle facial expressions, it amazes me that all of it was animated by hand. Their lighting system seems to have had a big upgrade, and it really shows in some of the later levels and set pieces in the game. The set pieces... god damn, I didn't expect them to top UC2's. I won't spoil anything, but there are a couple I can't wait to revisit on my next playthrough.

While its true that others have said that there's more emphasis on fistfights this time round, the layered context sensitive animations really made them worthwhile. At times, I'd even die intentionally just so I could see if drake would perform a different animation if I moved him to another spot during a fistfight. Overall, I didn't have much issue with the modified fistfight mechanics having just come off from playing Arkham City.

A couple folks mentioned inconsistent AI in their impressions, but I didn't really encounter much of that, they certainly seemed to be more aggressive on Hard difficulty compared to UC2, or maybe I was just really rusty. Difficulty wise, I thought Hard was pretty manageable other than about 3 or so firefights that occurred towards the end of the game.

I enjoyed the story immensely, for some reason it felt more cohesive, perhaps it was the pacing. Anyway, the whole game felt shorter to me, even though I had taken around the same time to complete UC2. I won't compare it to UC2 just yet as I haven't played it in quite some time, and I don't want nostalgia to cloud my judgement.

Its certainly my GOTY so far. Such an expertly crafted single player experience, and a true summer blockbuster in every sense.

---

On a side note, after finishing it on hard, I only got 4 video featurettes in the 'Bonus' menu, is that all there is? I remember UC2 also had a bunch of cast interviews.

Cruzader

Banned
Killthee said:
Hard isn't that hard. Nothing in it felt as cheap as the endless waves in U1 or U1 crushing IMO and it was about as hard as U2 in Hard. All the combat prompts except for the stealth one's are in Hard too. If you feel comfortable playing U2 in Hard/have beaten it in Crushing start on Hard in U3.
I beat and platinumed both so I think ill do that!

d0c_zaius said:
I played coop with some people last night.

Feel free to add me on PSN if anyone is looking to do coop adventure/area/etc.

PSN:d0c_zaius
Good news. I couldn't get my codes to work before. Guess I know what I'm doing after work today! I'll add you later.

Do the spines of the Uncharted 2 and 3 cases line up pretty well when side by side? I'm asking because I just started working on making all three covers that line up so they look good together, but if 2 and 3 are pretty close I'll just do one for the first game that matches the other two.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
brandonh83 said:
Do the spines of the Uncharted 2 and 3 cases line up pretty well when side by side? I'm asking because I just started working on making all three covers that line up so they look good together, but if 2 and 3 are pretty close I'll just do one for the first game that matches the other two.

Just for you:

HFQ5P.jpg

c5EjV.jpg

quZV3.jpg

darkwing

Steve McQueen said:
ohhhh so they are metal and not plastic?

WARP10CK

Banned
I just beat it last night and even though I liked it I have to say that I liked U2 story a little more.

But make no mistake it's good and is worth every penny it's just that the story in U2 was a little better paced In my opinion.

And I liked the villain in U2 more.

Top Bottom