• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
ScOULaris said:
Did I miss something? How is everyone getting the game early?
I sold my soul for 5 bucks to a guy named Bart Simpson.

SamuraiX-

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Hey in this picture I noticed that the Uncharted 3 box is slightly misaligned with the other two by a couple of millimeters. Can you please correct this and take the photo again? Thanks.

I LOL'd

losername

Banned
Around 60% through the campaign after almost five hours and loving every minute of it. Only complaints are the controls feel slightly unsuited to the more confined scenes and the shooting seems odd, likely due to (what feels like) faster moving enemies. Those guys dart around like crazy.

New combat feels great and the storyline is well delivered and develops characters fantastically. There have been some awesome set pieces so far with the ones featured in demos and trailers yet to come.

So far I do feel Uncharted 2 is the better game, but only marginally. We'll see where Drake's Deception goes from here. The third act is supposed to be where it all starts to go down.

Gotta say one area in particular early-on seemed fairly glitchy. Nate went through a wall at one point and sections of the map vanished for several seconds at a time. Could be our PS3 acting up, but I was wondering if anyone else experienced something similar?

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Hey in this picture I noticed that the Uncharted 3 box is slightly misaligned with the other two by a couple of millimeters. Can you please correct this and take the photo again? Thanks.

tumblr_ltli5qeaq91qzy4n9.gif

I'm slightly concerned about numerous mentions of the shooting feeling "slightly off" or "different". The shooting felt great to me in U2, so I really hope someone didn't think it was wise to "fix" what wasn't broken.

BruiserBear said:
I'm slightly concerned about numerous mentions of the shooting feeling "slightly off" or "different". The shooting felt great to me in U2, so I really hope someone didn't think it was wise to "fix" what wasn't broken.

Well, since the shooting in the MP is more than "slightly off," I'm sure the shooting in the SP has suffered as well.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
BruiserBear said:
Ugh, I bet they've made it faster just like the MP... I was hoping they wouldn't mess with the controls in the campaign but no such luck. I LOVED UC2 (SP) controls.

God I hope I'm wrong.

Got mine today and played till Chapter 5 (took me a bit more than 1 1/2 hours) on hard. It's probably because the characters are much more likeable and feel more fleshed out, and I got attached to them.... but man: This is the first game this entire year that put a smile to my face playing the first chapters.
Missing out on all the last trailers and such is definitly paying out now.

Loudninja

BruiserBear said:
People complain about the shooting in both UC1 and UC2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Loudninja said:
People complain about the shooting in both UC1 and UC2.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that as a pure third person shooter Uncharted, as a series, is pretty average. The cover system, aiming, accuracy of weapons, hit boxes, encounter design and basically everything else isn't in the ballpark of the best you'll find in the genre (which is Vanquish as far as I'm concerned).

That being said, playing Uncharted 2 again reminds me how much of an improvement the shooting is over the original. People tend to cite Assassin's Creed 2 as the biggest improvement in a sequel, but I think at times Uncharted 2 quite easily matches it. Everything about the shooting and encounter design is so very much superior to the original. The environments are more open, the enemy spawns are better, there's more varied tactical options, and most encounters have really solid basic stealth support. That and the general aiming system feels so much tighter and competent than Uncharted.

Naughty Dog really stepped it up with Uncharted 2's combat and encounters, and I have to commend them for it.

Loudninja

EatChildren said:
Personally, I'm of the opinion that as a pure third person shooter Uncharted, as a series, is pretty average. The cover system, aiming, accuracy of weapons, hit boxes, encounter design and basically everything else isn't in the ballpark of the best you'll find in the genre (which is Vanquish as far as I'm concerned).

That being said, playing Uncharted 2 again reminds me how much of an improvement the shooting is over the original. People tend to cite Assassin's Creed 2 as the biggest improvement in a sequel, but I think at times Uncharted 2 quite easily matches it. Everything about the shooting and encounter design is so very much superior to the original. The environments are more open, the enemy spawns are better, there's more varied tactical options, and most encounters have really solid basic stealth support. That and the general aiming system feels so much tighter and competent than Uncharted.

Naughty Dog really stepped it up with Uncharted 2's combat and encounters, and I have to commend them for it.
Yeah I agree with that, seems U3 is more open or just as open as UC2.

GlamFM said:
I´m having a lot more fun after turning the dificulty down.

I hated the shooting controls on hard. Now I have a little aim assist and the game is much more enjoyable.

Still I like UC2 a lot better - in almost every aspect, but UC3 is still a fantastic game everybody should play.

Not GOTY - at least for me. That´s Portal 2.

Keep talking... NO ONE IS LISTENING...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Unregistered007 said:
Keep talking... NO ONE IS LISTENING...

Opinions that aren't your own; get used to them, or I'll kindly show you the door.

BruiserBear said:

I think people are mistaking the feel of the shooting controls for the fact that the enemy encounter is designed unfairly at certain points in the game. I played UC2 just a couple days ago, and it's really not the mechanics that feel off at all. The puzzles and platforming made great improvements, and are actually a challenge at certain points, but the shooter aspect of the game seem to have gotten worse when it came to what kind of enemies you actually have to fight.

And I thought the rabid Uncharted fanboy type comments died in the review thread? So much for that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wario64 said:
What's the meaning of "region ALL"? That's strange.

It's not like any PS3 game has been region locked, that symbol just referred to the region of publication.

The_Monk

Guys, very important question, to all of you who played Uncharted 3 Subway, the US Version and now are playing the PAL/Euro version:

Did you start from where you left? Levels, rewards, unlocks, etc?

Please someone answer this, thanks!

The_Monk said:
Guys, very important question, to all of you who played Uncharted 3 Subway, the US Version and now are playing the PAL/Euro version:

Did you start from where you left? Levels, rewards, unlocks, etc?

Please someone answer this, thanks!
Edit: sorry, misread.

I had to go to the gym but now Im back. Gonna return to the game. I played about an hour and a half and I already like it better than Arkham City.

just put my money down on amazon for release date delivery. i heard some horror stories concerning release date delivery when Dark Souls came out, but hopefully this works out for me. don't usually buy through amazon.

crimzonflame said:
I had to go to the gym but now Im back. Gonna return to the game. I played about an hour and a half and I already like it better than Arkham City.
WHAT?! You mean a guy who has a pizza delivery man as his avatar likes the Uncharted series better than any other games!?

yvL3G.jpg

Lol. Had to.

Damn mobile. This is what I meant to do...

RyanardoDaVinci said:
Well, since the shooting in the MP is more than "slightly off," I'm sure the shooting in the SP has suffered as well.

That is an auto-aim issue. Auto-aim in MP was scaled back significantly making the aiming feel "off"

A couple of posters in the Subway thread brought it up, but were ignored by gaf and ignored by ND.

Raonak

Banned
Huh. Shooting felt good in the beta. found it a bit hard to track moving enemies, but that shouldn't be a problem in SP (i assume?)

I'm really struggling to get into this game. I totally loved Uncharted 2 but the third entry just can't deliver that epicness - not at all. Also, this game has fantastic setpieces some really decent gameplay but the transition from one to the other is very poor.

GAF and people how generally pay no attention to the story will love the game. People who do and like the characters will probably not. Or well, I sure don't.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
With all these mixed impressions maybe Adam Sessler's review was spot on when he noted how UC2 tarnished the appeal of UC3. even still I shall reserve judgement until next tuesday when we can discuss the game freely and in detail.

StuBurns

Banned
TheExorzist said:
I'm really struggling to get into this game. I totally loved Uncharted 2 but the third entry just can't deliver that epicness - not at all. Also, this game has fantastic setpieces some really decent gameplay but the transition from one to the other is very poor.

GAF and people how generally pay no attention to the story will love the game. People who do and like the characters will probably not. Or well, I sure don't.
Outside of the first couple of levels, I don't feel like there was a particularly well thought out story in UC2. To me it felt like exactly what you're describing.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
StuBurns said:
Outside of the first couple of levels, I don't feel like there was a particularly well thought out story in UC2. To me it felt like exactly what you're describing.
When I played uncharted 2 more than two times I began to see how a lot of the story is just shoe-horned together set-piece by set-piece so I'm a bit more excited to see uncharted 3 with more of a plot than previous entries in the series

Raonak

Banned
StuBurns said:
Yeah, I U2's story wasn't that strong. I was actually let down by it, since It really felt like a rehash of U1.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Incendiary said:
Honestly, I felt mixed about it when I finished it. I initially thought I enjoyed U2 more, then I went back and really thought about it. Certain parts (the parts shown in the trailers/commercials) when you're playing them, you think "this is cool, but I want to get through it to get to an awesome part I haven't seen yet." And during an awesome part you haven't seen yet, you're thinking "okay, so probably next up is /this/ sequence I've seen in the trailer, I want to play through to get to that." That probably won't be an issue with people who are on media blackout.

Then the game ends and you're like "wait, that's it?" and you realize you spent the whole game looking forward to the next part, and it all sinks in and you realize the game was pretty freaking awesome as a whole. I was actually going to make an 8/10 joke when I immediately finished it, but after letting it sink in I realized I enjoyed it a lot more.

There's only one thing I'm really annoyed about, but I won't talk about it (even spoilered, because I know it tempts people and I don't want to do that to fellow Uncharted ans) until other people have gotten/played it, because it relates to the progression of the game.
After reading this im 100X more thankful I went on a media blackout. Watching everything before hand really ruins the first time experience.

Luthos

EloquentM said:
When I play uncharted 2 more than two times I began to see how a lot of the story is just shoe-horned together set-piece by set-piece so I'm a bit more excited to see uncharted 3 with more of a plot than previous entries in the series
But even the script writer made a point about saying that UC3's plot was kinda formed around their set piece ideas. Maybe not the general outline, but they definitely made it fit.

Just finished the game. I cannot stress how incredible of an experience it was. You guys, that have kept yourselves cold and still have your first-play through ahead of you are in for a treat. In a way I'm kinda of jealous.

It's an absolute masterclass. Naughty Dog really is the master of its trade. Its testament to the strength of the series that the very opening scene prompted a massive grin across my face. And the appearance of
Elena
mid-way into the game sent
my heart fluttering. LOL.

I'm quite surprised by some of the comments so far. Each to their own of course, but I'm really staggered anyone could feel disappointed. The game is definitely a bit more slow-paced than previous entries --
you don't really fire a gun for a good hour or so
-- but that's great because it puts an emphasis on Uncharted's other strengths. I actually played a lot of the game in stealth, and you'll do a lot of melee brawling, which is really great.

I do think the game has some ill conceived difficulty spikes in places. On the odd occassion, you'll feel overwhelmed and a touch frustrated. But the checkpointing is spot-on, and the game reloads you into the action in seconds so it's not as frustrating as it could have been.

I should probably add -- for the majority of the game the shooting is really fun. The weapons feel solid, and the enemy AI is challenging and fun to fight against. I definitely feel like the game could stand tall just on the merits of its gunplay. That it's just -- relatively -- a small portion of the gameplay is phenomenal. Like I already said, I really enjoy the stealth and brawling in this game too.

As far as I'm concerned, the difficulty spikes -- and there are only a few of them -- are the only real blemish on what is otherwise an absolutely outstanding game.

I preferred the story immensely to the previous Uncharted titles. The characters really ground the plot, and make it intriguing from the off-set. As always the dialogue is absolutely top-notch, and the new faces are fantastic.
Even the very minor super-natural elements are well handled, and make for some interesting encounters.

I didn't feel like Uncharted 2 had much of a plot at all really, other than great character development. But Uncharted 3 does all that its predecessor did, while weaving a real plot around it this time. It's well researched, and, I personally found it intriguing. It really adds some background and depth to
Drake, Sully and Elena
which I strongly enjoyed.
The emphasis on Sir Francis Drake and Laurence of Arabia is also really pleasant, and perhaps the reason I enjoyed the plot so much.

I feel like most great games have one or two memorable moments at best. I always point to the Nuke from Call Of Duty 4, or the train from Uncharted 2, or the ride into Mexico from Red Dead Redemption. And so on. But -- and I'm looking at a list of notes here -- Uncharted 3 has at least six gob-stopping moments that I don't think I'll be forgetting in a hurry.

Even with Uncharted 2 being a banner game -- and a massively improved sequel -- I still feel like Uncharted 3 takes the franchise further. For me, it's the best in the series.

It's an absolutely sensational game. I started up a second playthrough almost immediately.

thuway

TheExorzist said:

Exact opposite experience for me.
From the minute the game started I was in love.

Top Bottom