• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

Provider said:
AdHItX_CIAAyI8W.jpg

Got my copy! :D (Artifact Box comes empty... no love for LatinAmerica ¬¬ )

I thought the game was in the steelbook case, or did you get another copy?

Okay, time to ask. I've noticed that a plethora of reviews and impressions share the opinion that the game's forward momentum is too forced, that the player lacks freedom, etc. Is this true? Because I never really felt that way during the first two games.

So is it really that different from the first two in terms of linearity and the amount of control the player has?

MrPliskin

Banned
My store is doing a midnight :D I decided to dress up for it, pretty pumped!

kFHUl.jpg

My best shot at Uncharted 2 Drake (didn't want to fool around with scarfs and ammo belts).

For reference:

uncharted_2_chloe.jpg

Obviously I wasn't willing to spend the $$$ on a leather shoulder holster, lol.

MrPliskin

Banned
FantasticMrFoxdie said:

/returnbrofist

I work for the store though, so I'll be behind the counter. Luckily it's a private business (not a GameStop) we'll probably be playing video games w/the customers while we wait. Should be good times.

Looks like Newegg just shipped my copy. I'll have to wait 3 days though :/

I really wish they had a steelbook edition or something between the regular and collectors edition. I'm not really a fan of gaudy extras like statues but I do enjoy a good looking case for a great game.

rhino4evr

EloquentM said:
in contrast I always had a hard time with the helicopter and tank boss fights instead of lazarevich and his underling on the train. I feel like the helicopter level and the tank battle are more poorly designed than those boss fights. to each his own really.
See that's my point. I don't think anything in Uncharted 2 was "poorly designed". You may have disliked that part (but seriously the tank and helicopter battles were incredible) but that doesn't make the design "poor"

someday

Banned
Just used my $20 credit from buying Battlefield 3 to pre-order this game from Amazon. Will be so ready for this tomorrow! I liked the multiplayer but it will never really be a go-to thing for me. Too many other dedicated multiplayer games coming out at the same time. But, the single player is more than worth the price of admission so I'm stoked. I've purposely kept away from reading too much about the plot/spoilers so I really don't know what to expect other than another awesome Drake experience. It's going to be really hard to go to my evening class tomorrow night.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Just received an email from Amazon, saying that my copy of UC3 has been shipped. Will be getting it sometime tomorrow! YESH!

brandonh83 said:
Okay, time to ask. I've noticed that a plethora of reviews and impressions share the opinion that the game's forward momentum is too forced, that the player lacks freedom, etc. Is this true? Because I never really felt that way during the first two games.

So is it really that different from the first two in terms of linearity and the amount of control the player has?
Brandon you need to relax bro :) just get the game man.

It's funny. I'm actually anticipating the arrival of the U3 CE guide from amazon tomorrow.

Gonna be hard not to crack it open for where to find the damn treasures.

DangerStepp

MrPliskin said:
My store is doing a midnight :D I decided to dress up for it, pretty pumped!

kFHUl.jpg

My best shot at Uncharted 2 Drake (didn't want to fool around with scarfs and ammo belts).

For reference:

uncharted_2_chloe.jpg

Obviously I wasn't willing to spend the $$$ on a leather shoulder holster, lol.
That's pretty rad, nicely done man!

jett

D-Member
I have to say, the packaging for this game is really cheap. Black and white manual, 10 pages long, the box, the manual and the disc share the same cover art. Cheapest Uncharted package yet, easily deserving its universally accepted 8/10 score.

Other thing i noticed, but im going by memory so i might be wrong here, it's a huge improvement when Drake transitions from different animations compared to Uncharted 2. This time its really smooth, the weird behaviour is toned down by a lot.

The thing that's over used in this game are
the fights with large men
they all feel the same.

Music is fantastic, the best in the series, no doubt.

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Limited Edition or not. Any clue if this will be all over the place in 6 months and half off because stores want to get rid of them?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
I have to say, the packaging for this game is really cheap. Black and white manual, 10 pages long, the box, the manual and the disc share the same cover art. Cheapest Uncharted package yet, easily deserving its universally accepted 8/10 score.
Noone cares about the regular editions packaging anymore. You need to pony up the cash if you want good packaging nowadays. At least with UC3 they give you that option as opposed to first two.

ApolloJoh

Liquid_015 said:
Same here. It's still saying shipping soon. Oh by the way, did you get your pre-order bonus yet?
Kinda late response but no, I haven't.

From stuff I've preordered in the past, you get the preorder bonus email when it ships.

wouwie

Currently at Chapter 14 and i never expected this, but i'm not enjoying it as much as UC2 and 1.

Naughty Dog tried to hard to impress with awesome setpieces. In fact, so far, the game feels like going from one setpiece/cutscene to the other. Gone is the gameplay where you could take your time, plan your strategy on how to tackle a situation. Almost gone is the moments of exploring an area without any rush. I feel like being on a giant rollercoaster: everything needs to be fast, spectacular, big, bold, huge and impressive but in the end, you don't have that much impact on it. I just don't feel like i've played much of a game yet.

Pacing feels strange and the game and story doesn't flow as nicely as in UC2 and 1. You go from one location to the other so fast and always following the same strategy: puzzle > secret passage > discovery > going back > enemy is right on your tail > shoot-out/run quickly/set piece and repeat...

Gunplay doesn't seem as fun anymore. Melee is forced upon the player and you can not stay in cover anymore. Aiming seems different and not as accurate. Enemies seem to take a lot more bullets again (think more UC1 than UC2).

Locations aren't as imaginative as in UC2 and UC1. Image quality seems slightly worse.

The more i play from UC3, the more i appreciate how awesome UC2 and UC1 actually were. I'd easily rate them both 10/10 since i loved them so much. UC3 feels closer to an 8 so far. Too guided, too much hand-holding, too many setpieces,... Naughty Dog tried too hard. Understandable in a way, but they had such a good thing going with UC2. I would have been happy with a lot more of the same. I'm a slow player. I like to enjoy the environments and take everything in. I like the feeling of not being rushed to tackle a situation. I like the feeling when something goes as planned.

I replayed UC1 and 2 many times (at least 4 times) but so far, there haven't been that many chapters i'd like to revisit from UC3. I only got the real Uncharted vibe in Chapter 6 so far.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game adn absolutely worth playing if you had any interest in the previous games. It just doesn't seem as good as UC2 and 1, which are among my favourite games ever. So far, it's the least favourite from the 3.

jett

D-Member
wouwie: good impressions, I agree with a lot of what you said.

Lord Error said:
Noone cares about the regular editions packaging anymore. You need to pony up the cash if you want good packaging nowadays. At least with UC3 they give you that option as opposed to first two.

Yeah I guess. I don't have those available where I live though, and they'd probably be crazy expensive too. :p

jackdoe

wouwie said:
Gunplay doesn't seem as fun anymore. Melee is forced upon the player and you can not stay in cover anymore. Aiming seems different and not as accurate. Enemies seem to take a lot more bullets again (think more UC1 than UC2).
I'm assuming this is because they added bloom to every weapon now? When they did that to Gears of War 3 and Halo Reach, it definitely hurt the gunplay experience and I wouldn't imagine it to be any different in this case.

jett

D-Member
jackdoe said:
I'm assuming this is because they added bloom to every weapon now? When they did that to Gears of War 3 and Halo Reach, it definitely hurt the gunplay experience and I wouldn't imagine it to be any different in this case.

bloom?

Liquid_015

Gold Member
ApolloJoh said:
Kinda late response but no, I haven't.

From stuff I've preordered in the past, you get the preorder bonus email when it ships.

Yeah same, and I just got the email from Amazon saying that my copy of the game just shipped. However, I have yet to receive the pre-order bonus but there is still time cause it said the pre-order bonus email will be sent 1-2 days after your order has been shipped.

jackdoe

jett said:
You know. Weapon bloom where the aiming reticle expands when you fire a shot. In Uncharted 2 it was limited to assault rifles if I remember correctly, but for Uncharted 3, weapon bloom is pretty much present for every weapon, and it seems to be handled differently from Uncharted 2.

When they added it to the Lancer in Gears of War 3, it definitely hurt the gunplay experience and you need only look at Halo Reach MP threads to see how much some people hate weapon bloom.

wouwie said:
Naughty Dog tried to hard to impress with awesome setpieces. In fact, so far, the game feels like going from one setpiece/cutscene to the other. Gone is the gameplay where you could take your time, plan your strategy on how to tackle a situation. Almost gone is the moments of exploring an area without any rush. I feel like being on a giant rollercoaster: everything needs to be fast, spectacular, big, bold, huge and impressive but in the end, you don't have that much impact on it. I just don't feel like i've played much of a game yet.

wait you cant explore places at your leisure ? that was awesome in U2 when you look around that village, loved that place

Cudder

Anyone remember that Future Shop online sale during E3 where you could pre order a bunch of AAA games and get more discounts the more games you got? Anyone hear anything about their Uncharted shipping? Because it's one of the games I got in that deal..

wouwie said:
Currently at Chapter 14 and i never expected this, but i'm not enjoying it as much as UC2 and 1.

Pacing feels strange and the game and story doesn't flow as nicely as in UC2 and 1. You go from one location to the other so fast and always following the same strategy: puzzle > secret passage > discovery > going back > enemy is right on your tail > shoot-out/run quickly/set piece and repeat...

Locations aren't as imaginative as in UC2 and UC1. Image quality seems slightly worse.

The more i play from UC3, the more i appreciate how awesome UC2 and UC1 actually were. I'd easily rate them both 10/10 since i loved them so much. UC3 feels closer to an 8 so far. Too guided, too much hand-holding, too many setpieces,... Naughty Dog tried too hard. Understandable in a way, but they had such a good thing going with UC2. I would have been happy with a lot more of the same. I'm a slow player. I like to enjoy the environments and take everything in. I like the feeling of not being rushed to tackle a situation. I like the feeling when something goes as planned.

I replayed UC1 and 2 many times (at least 4 times) but so far, there haven't been that many chapters i'd like to revisit from UC3. I only got the real Uncharted vibe in Chapter 6 so far.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game adn absolutely worth playing if you had any interest in the previous games. It just doesn't seem as good as UC2 and 1, which are among my favourite games ever. So far, it's the least favourite from the 3.
I mostly agreed, until I got to Chapter 13. That is when things have really picked up and I'm loving it way more now. UC2 may still be the best one though, but that was a really high bar that was tough to meet.

cleveridea said:
wait you cant explore places at your leisure ? that was awesome in U2 when you look around that village, loved that place
You can do it in plenty of places. I don't remember if there's anything as serene as that village in 2, but there are plenty of times where you can just keep your partner waiting and check out the scene.

So about Multiplayer: I checked and noticed Elimination-mode is no longer in the game.

Any idea why? Because I fucking hate that. For me and my mates, that was the best thing about U2's multiplayer. :(

By the way: Just finished the game. LOVED IT.
The only thing that annoyed me were some of the shootouts. Some were very easy, others were really difficult - but not in a fun way. Played it on Normal.

jett

D-Member
jackdoe said:
You know. Weapon bloom where the aiming reticle expands when you fire a shot. In Uncharted 2 it was limited to assault rifles if I remember correctly, but for Uncharted 3, weapon bloom is pretty much present for every weapon, and it seems to be handled differently from Uncharted 2.

When they added it to the Lancer in Gears of War 3, it definitely hurt the gunplay experience and you need only look at Halo Reach MP threads to see how much some people hate weapon bloom.

Ah I see now, well I don't know if it's a problem for me personally but what you're talking about is in the game indeed.

I just ordered the CE. I just couldn't pass up on the cool statue and the steelbook case. Crappy thing is that because I ordered so late, I won't get it until Friday. :( Oh well, I guess that gives me more time to finish Disgaea. ;D

Top Bottom