• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

wouwie said:
Currently at Chapter 14 and i never expected this, but i'm not enjoying it as much as UC2 and 1.

Naughty Dog tried to hard to impress with awesome setpieces. In fact, so far, the game feels like going from one setpiece/cutscene to the other. Gone is the gameplay where you could take your time, plan your strategy on how to tackle a situation. Almost gone is the moments of exploring an area without any rush. I feel like being on a giant rollercoaster: everything needs to be fast, spectacular, big, bold, huge and impressive but in the end, you don't have that much impact on it. I just don't feel like i've played much of a game yet.

Pacing feels strange and the game and story doesn't flow as nicely as in UC2 and 1. You go from one location to the other so fast and always following the same strategy: puzzle > secret passage > discovery > going back > enemy is right on your tail > shoot-out/run quickly/set piece and repeat...

Gunplay doesn't seem as fun anymore. Melee is forced upon the player and you can not stay in cover anymore. Aiming seems different and not as accurate. Enemies seem to take a lot more bullets again (think more UC1 than UC2).

Locations aren't as imaginative as in UC2 and UC1. Image quality seems slightly worse.

The more i play from UC3, the more i appreciate how awesome UC2 and UC1 actually were. I'd easily rate them both 10/10 since i loved them so much. UC3 feels closer to an 8 so far. Too guided, too much hand-holding, too many setpieces,... Naughty Dog tried too hard. Understandable in a way, but they had such a good thing going with UC2. I would have been happy with a lot more of the same. I'm a slow player. I like to enjoy the environments and take everything in. I like the feeling of not being rushed to tackle a situation. I like the feeling when something goes as planned.

I replayed UC1 and 2 many times (at least 4 times) but so far, there haven't been that many chapters i'd like to revisit from UC3. I only got the real Uncharted vibe in Chapter 6 so far.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game adn absolutely worth playing if you had any interest in the previous games. It just doesn't seem as good as UC2 and 1, which are among my favourite games ever. So far, it's the least favourite from the 3.

I know I'll enjoy the game, but this still worries me.

I have a feeling UC1 won't be topped.

Raonak

Banned
Auron_Kale said:
Well, it's actually been there the entire time - though save for the opening chapter of U3. Kinda hard to tell with Drake wearing the suit jacket. :p

Haven't played 3, but was talking about 2. I don't remember him half tucking in 2, only elena.

EDIT: why do some people like U1 better than 2? The only things it had better were the zombies and the plot. Every other thing U2 beats it.

Played up to chapter 6 so far and i am enjoying the pace but i can see why some people might not.
Since in first part there's not much to do other than go forward .

laika09

Tom Penny said:
Does it really take over 10 seconds to turn 360 like one review said? It does not compute.

Regardless of how long it takes to turn in aiming mode, trying to turn that far in aiming mode is the definition of doing it wrong.

MrPliskin said:
My store is doing a midnight :D I decided to dress up for it, pretty pumped!

kFHUl.jpg

My best shot at Uncharted 2 Drake (didn't want to fool around with scarfs and ammo belts).

For reference:

uncharted_2_chloe.jpg

Obviously I wasn't willing to spend the $$$ on a leather shoulder holster, lol.
Nicely done, bud. Have fun with it. Drop as many one liners as you can.

RDreamer

Represent. said:
I just cant see how people prefer UC1 over UC2. Hopefully I'll feel the same when comparing UC3 and UC2.

I think I give the nod to UC2 slightly, but I can see it. UC1 to me was just a better shooter overall. You had these great arenas that you were popped into, and you had to strategically think out each battle, especially on crushing. That was insane and awesome. Each spot was almost like a puzzle. And the story was as good as it needed to be. There was nothing way too over the top. It was just good stuff. Compared to that, UC2 is just a bit much on the set pieces, which took away from the strategic shooting that UC1 had, and the set pieces were a bit over the top. As awesome as they were, that can be a bit of a story detriment to some people.

WebScud

I just claimed my PAX East DLC and my AMC Event DLC. It looks like PAX is villain only and AMC is hero only, with no color swaps. The AMC item's PSN icon shows the shirt in tan, but it's blue in-game.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
DLC codes are live now. The E3 weapon/Mystery Weapon #4 seems to be a camo style Para 9 with a Clip Size and Reload Speed mod while the AMC shirt seems to only work with the custom hero.

20111101-qm16wfs9a76e9yf4jdki3ani8q.jpg

UC1's shooting was just SO BAD. The bullet sponge enemies, the hit detection, the aiming, the cover mechanics, the melee...ALL inferior to UC2.

RDreamer

ViewtifulJC said:
UC1's shooting was just SO BAD. The bullet sponge enemies, the hit detection, the aiming, the cover mechanics, the melee...ALL inferior to UC2.

I felt like Uc1's enemies weren't bullet sponges at all, because I could headshot with complete and utter ease. You had to in crushing. I could pretty much come out of just aiming my camera while in cover into a headshot. In Uc2 I really can't get headshots at all unless it's with a sniper rifle. So to me the enemies in 2 seemed way, WAY more bullet spongey.

ViewtifulJC said:

I'd say the bold part is an exaggeration.

kx11

Banned
Killthee said:
DLC codes are live now. The E3 weapon/Mystery Weapon #4 seems to be a camo style Para 9 with a Clip Size and Reload Speed mod while the AMC shirt seems to only work with the custom hero.

20111101-qm16wfs9a76e9yf4jdki3ani8q.jpg

i would keep this to myself , you don't wanna get banned by sony for showing stuff like that before release date

Darkarium

Neo Member
I enjoyed UC1 more than 2 mostly because I loved the art style, storyline and general atmosphere. They are both great games but to me UC1 feels like a well-rounded, excellently paced action title where as 2 is more like the big budget all action sequel. Personal preference really I guess.

RDreamer

Kagari said:
OKAY GUYS.

Going to the midnight whatever thing... 3 more hours *_*

Same here, hi-5!

And then the eternal question: All nighter playing through the game straight through? Or play a little and go to bed? I work from home generally, but got all my stuff done today so I'm free tomorrow... I could make this happen.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
RDreamer said:
Same here, hi-5!

And then the eternal question: All nighter playing through the game straight through? Or play a little and go to bed? I work from home generally, but got all my stuff done today so I'm free tomorrow... I could make this happen.
if its anything like uncharted 2 once you start it you won't be able to put it down.

Luthos

RDreamer said:
Same here, hi-5!

I'm getting it tomorrow (from Amazon), but yeah a similar problem for myself.

I had to force myself to stop UC2 and not beat it in one night. Though I finished it the very next night, so it's not like I can drag it out over a long period.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
still "shipping soon"

SHOULD I BE WORRIED

The delivery boy will probably show up just as I'm leaving for work tomorrow. I should have taken the day off....

RDreamer

EloquentM said:
if its anything like uncharted 2 once you start it you won't be able to put it down.

I played 2 starting Saturday and finished today. I got to the 75% mark the first day, and that's on a game I've already played like 3 times before.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
RDreamer said:
I played 2 starting Saturday and finished today. I got to the 75% mark the first day, and that's on a game I've already played like 3 times before.
haha, that almost happened to me. I had to break it up into two sittings because of work though.

Massa

ViewtifulJC said:

Regular enemies take more shots in Uncharted 2, which also has the bullet sponge enemies that UC1 doesn't have.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
#1 defender said:
As do i. The new split screen feature is a great addition, but i'm playing the MP with my nephew and the inability to log in with different accounts to track our individual progress and use our custom loadouts puts a big damper on our enjoyment. We both figured this feature would return in the retail version of the game, but from what i have read so far that doesn't seem to be true, which would be very disappointing.

I would greatly appreciate it if we could get a clarification regarding this, Arne.
No word from Arne yet?

Just finished the game. Overall pretty good, but I disliked the shooting bits. Whenever I saw an area with loads of cover and weapons laying around I just thought "Here we go again". Shooting just isn't fun.

I guess Futureshop won't ship this game tomorrow, so I'll be doing the buy and switch at a different retailer. I'm really hoping work is slow tomorrow and I get off early :D

MrPliskin you look awesome! :D I wish I could rock the Drake look.

Snuggler said:
still "shipping soon"

SHOULD I BE WORRIED

The delivery boy will probably show up just as I'm leaving for work tomorrow. I should have taken the day off....
Amazon right? Mine still says shipping soon as well. As long as they ship it before midnight, I won't worry.

Backfoggen said:
Just finished the game. Overall pretty good, but I disliked the shooting bits. Whenever I saw an area with loads of cover and weapons laying around I just thought "Here we go again". Shooting just isn't fun.

Uh isn't shooting like 90% of the game? It was in U2.

MrPliskin

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Nicely done, bud. Have fun with it. Drop as many one liners as you can.

I'm already on it, haha. It's been a good night so far. Probably won't sleep much tonight, then I get to meet with my SE Professor tomorrow and get chewed out, should be ugly. Have fun while I can, right?

Gonna do midnight launch at GS. My first one ever. Really kinda disappointing to hear that the game doesn't meet all expectations and in ways is a step back from its previous iterations though :/

Top Bottom