• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 |OT| All Developers Dream, But Not Equally

patsu said:
Not just 3D. The game also supports co-op campaign, which is more demanding than stereoscopic 3D. NaughtyDog says these requirements made them optimized the engine more.

I have to admit, the 3D in U3 is really nice when I saw it - both on the big screen and on the regular 3D TVs at the AMC event. Co-op actually makes me happy, solely because I have friends that are terrible at the actual MP (myself included) but we'd love to just play together so at least we have that option now.

McLovin said:
Its just skins, honestly who cares.

Plenty of people.

1. They are already on the disc.
2. The models were made 2 years ago (they probably remade them though, as they look shittier).
3. Some of them we already bought in U2 and we have to buy again.
4. They are all OLD. Not one is new.
5. They even left some out lololol.

McLovin said:
I didn't hear anyone complaining when they gave out their mp a few weeks back.

Are you deaf/blind or something? :p

patsu said:
Play Dark Souls !

I tried Demons Souls, I last a few hours, before rage kicked in and I never played it ever again.

I WISH I could play them, really I do. I just don't have the patience by myself. I'm sure in Co-Op I could manage it I guess, but by myself, I would fear for my sanity. -_-

So broke right now, though my PC is gonna be fixed tomorrow so I can finally play my BF3, etc. It'll hold me over until I get more funds to buy UC3 and other such games.

I have the money for UC3, or Alice, or a fedora hat (yeah...I'm into hats), so I'm probably going to roll with the hat for now. Since finishing Batman AC twice within the space of a few days, I realised that I need to stop paying so much money for games that last 5 mins, and games where MP isn't important to me. I would love to buy UC3, I REALLY would. It looks MARVELOUS! But I can't be spending £37-£38 quid on a game that's going to last some hours, since I'm only into SP for games like this.

Jesus christ, I can't stop thinking about UC3 now. The game looks absolutely incredible, especially graphically. I I had to keep rewinding Youtube when that bald fella "Cutter" had a closeup of his face at the very beginning. His face..I just...jesus...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
patsu said:
Not just 3D. The game also supports co-op campaign
Main campaign is not co-op. I'm not sure if people are trying to make some drama out of nothing but, it's pretty clear to me that this game is more technically complex than the 2nd one, regardless if you prefer the look or locations of it or not. Much like with KZ3 vs KZ2.

Now I noticed the comment about the water shader. Well, yeah, if you compare the huge body of physically animated flowing water in UC3 with a small flat undulating pool in UC2, they're probably not going to be able to put the same shader there. At least try to compare like for like (except you can't really, because there's no physically animated flowing water in UC2 or 1)

Antialiasing was changed because the new one looks similar enough, and frees them up 14MB of VRAM and GPU time to do other things. Why wouldn't they use it when they can.

Massa

McLovin said:
Its just skins, honestly who cares. I didn't hear anyone complaining when they gave out their mp a few weeks back.

I'm going to blow your mind right now: people actually complained when they made the multiplayer free.

Yep.

goodfella

The English Conquistador said:
I have the money for UC3, or Alice, or a fedora hat (yeah...I'm into hats), so I'm probably going to roll with the hat for now. Since finishing Batman AC twice within the space of a few days, I realised that I need to stop paying so much money for games that last 5 mins, and games where MP isn't important to me. I would love to buy UC3, I REALLY would. It looks MARVELOUS! But I can't be spending £37-£38 quid on a game that's going to last some hours, since I'm only into SP for games like this.

Maybe look into lovefilm. for like £10 a month you can have unlimited games, 2 at a time. (and films)

Only thing is you cant rent pc games obviously, and games with online passes or dlc codes lock out some content. I'm getting U3 from there, as i'm not that interested in MP, and maybe I will buy it when there is a price drop.

patsu

Lord Error said:
Main campaign is not co-op. I'm not sure if people are trying to make some drama out of nothing but, it's pretty clear to me that this game is more technically complex than the 2nd one, regardless if you prefer the look or locations of it or not. Much like with KZ3 vs KZ2.

Now I noticed the comment about the water shader. Well, yeah, if you compare the huge body of physically animated flowing water in UC3 with a small flat undulating pool in UC2, they're probably not going to be able to put the same shader there. At least try to compare like for like (except you can't really, because there's no physically animated flowing water in UC2 or 1)

Really ? I thought they promised co-op campaign ? My memory is faulty. 8^(

Either way, ND said it 3D helped them optimize their engine more. When running in 2D mode, as long as the assets are ok, we should not see any downside because of 3D. The only possible area is art direction.

In KZ3, I suspect they optimized the art for 3D presentation. So in 2D mode, the colors appear very cluttered. But in 3D, they made a lot of sense. I didn't see this compromise in U3.

goodfella said:
Maybe look into lovefilm. for like £10 a month you can have unlimited games, 2 at a time. (and films)

Only thing is you cant rent pc games obviously, and games with online passes or dlc codes lock out some content. I'm getting U3 from there, as i'm not that interested in MP, and maybe I will buy it when there is a price drop.

Thank you dude, that's a good suggestion. That would save me a lot of money in the long run.

:)

Tadale

Did any of the reviews discuss 3D? I'd really like to know how it holds up throughout the entirety of the game. In Resistance 3, I had issues with how the game blurred in 3D when rapidly moving the camera – but it played and looked great in Ico. Are there any framerate problems with 3D on in Uncharted 3?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Tadale said:
Did any of the reviews discuss 3D? I'd really like to know how it holds up throughout the entirety of the game. In Resistance 3, I had issues with how the game blurred in 3D when rapidly moving the camera – but it played and looked great in Ico. Are there any framerate problems with 3D on in Uncharted 3?

I don't have a 3D TV but what i've heard from reviews, they said it's amazing.

Tadale

Sn4ke_911 said:
I don't have a 3D TV but what i've heard from reviews, they said it's amazing.

Strangely enough, it's one of the features that's excited me the most about Uncharted 3 since I heard that the 3D was looking pretty great around E3 time.

patsu

Lord Error said:

Yap ! ND said they gave up physics water in U1 and U2 because they didn't have time. In U3, we have physics water as well as shader water.

First thing I'm going to do in the boat demo is jump in the swimming pool and see if I can get out when the boat rocks.

Antialiasing was changed because the new one looks similar enough, and frees them up 14MB of VRAM and GPU time to do other things. Why wouldn't they use it when they can.

Interesting ! Do you have the link to the source article ?

Gvaz

Banned
jett said:
spoilers son
tumblr_ltxg36wp7u1r2z7dr6f.gif

DangerStepp

distantmantra said:
Newegg shipped my $47.99 copy this morning via UPS.
Is this deal still available?! If so, I'm on it!

Any tips on where the best place to go to get this/order this so I'll have it ASAP? : )

Coen

I'm about half way through Uncharted 3 and have been enjoying it immensely. I have to admit the first couple of chapters felt a bit familiar, raiding underground tombs, climbing hidden castle walls, shooting random dudes from behind a wall and having your just-discovered treasure taken away by the antagonist, who was secretly following you all that time. It certainly didn't make a first impression like Uncharted 2 did. But once the much-shown
burning
chateau shows up, this game has no trouble creating an identity of its own. I could go on and on about the phenomenal, breathtaking set-pieces, but this game's greatest achievement is not falling into the trap of having every scene in the game amped up to eleven.

Twix

Easy man it's not like I said the game looks bad or something, I just think that some technical sides in the game are slightly worse than UC2 and most people won't even notice it.

Your defending words of huge, open areas are supporting my observations instead of refuting them. And I agree with you, UC3 suffers from graphical inconsistency most likely due to time constraints. It's evident that ND artists spent time polishing and tweaking parts of the game more than others.

Lord Error

OK I'll just wait for your final judgement after you finish the game :)

About the character models, I think they got more of an "artistic" upgrade rather than a technical one. The geometry seems exactly the same as UC2.

To be honest when I play the desert level I tell myself: "c'mon you can't be serious, UC2 was never this good graphically", it's a bit confusing and totally brings me back to the inconsistency issue I mentioned above, some parts of UC3 just don't look as good as others.

patsu

I played U2 right after Demon's Souls. While the game looks good, it never really did grab me until Chapter 20
The village
, where the art and tech come together. At that point, it blew my mind.

Based on what I have seen so far, U3 has better tech and more mature art direction. I'm still waiting to see if U3 can combine both art and tech together to reach a new height like U2 Chapter 20 again.

Diablos

Newegg charged my card but hasn't shipped it yet.

So awesome that I am getting this game for $48 :D

GAF newegg promo code thread ftw!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
patsu said:
I played U2 right after Demon's Souls. While the game looks good, it never really did grab me until Chapter 20
The village
, where the art and tech come together. At that point, it blew my mind.

Uncharted 2 is downhill from that point, in my opinion. Most people I've spoken to seem to find the first half or so of Uncharted 2 their least favourite part, loving the
train sequence
and then everything after that. I'm the complete opposite, considering the
Nepal
chapters the best paced and designed sequences in the entire game, and the chapters before them almost as fun.

patsu

EatChildren said:
Uncharted 2 is downhill from that point, in my opinion. Most people I've spoken to seem to find the first half or so of Uncharted 2 their least favourite part, loving the
train sequence[/i] and then everything after that. I'm the complete opposite, considering the
Nepal
chapters the best paced and designed sequences in the entire game, and the chapters before them almost as fun.
When the
Blue dudes
show up, it became more tedious for me. 8^(
The rest are relatively standard shooter affair for me. The puzzles are slightly more interesting than U1, but still maintain the story pace.

Overall, I love U2 mainly because of the co-op and Chapter 20. ^_^

EDIT: Oh yes, forgot about the train level and car chase. Those are neat too.

Grisby

Nepal levels were my favorite of UC2. So I guess I'm with you Eatchildren in that I find the 2nd half to be weaker than the first.

Outside of that shitty stealth sequence in the opening.

jett

D-Member
EatChildren said:
train sequence[/i] and then everything after that. I'm the complete opposite, considering the
Nepal
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Drake arrives to Nepal in chapter 5. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jett said:
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Drake arrives to Nepal in chapter 5. :p

Up until the end of Nepal, or more specifically the start of the train ride, is my favourite portion of Uncharted 2. Everything after I'm mixed on. Most people I've met seem to feel the other way, having the fondest memories of the train ride, the village, and everything during that part of the game.

jett

D-Member
EatChildren said:
Up until the end of Nepal, or more specifically the start of the train ride, is my favourite portion of Uncharted 2. Everything after I'm mixed on. Most people I've met seem to feel the other way, having the fondest memories of the train ride, the village, and everything during that part of the game.

Oh all right I get you better now. I personally liked the whole thing with the exception of the final boss.

For those of you that have played it, how does the story and boss fights compare to UC2? I'm sitting here contemplating whether or not to pull the trigger on a preorder right now but am still undecided...

EatChildren said:

For me, overexposure to preview coverage killed my enjoyment of the train sequence in UC2 (It's also why I've been on media black out with UC3- I think I've seen maybe one trailer and that's it). My favorite set piece with UC2 was the truck chase. It was cool jumping from truck to truck, throwing people off left and right and then culminating with the grenade launcher at the end. It was short, sweet, and had a really fun payoff at the very end.

EatChildren said:
The only parts of U2 that I even remember anymore involve the train, the collapsing building, and the ice caves. I remember never wanting to play through the last 3 hours or so ever again.

To be frank though, action adventure games are a weird thing for me as I love almost every one of them, but they are almost always a rental for me. The last I think I played through more than once was Metroid Prime, and that's only if you consider that in the right genre. If you don't, I guess I'd go with Tomb Raider 2.

jett

D-Member
Gully State said:
For those of you that have played it, how does the story and boss fights compare to UC2? I'm sitting here contemplating whether or not to pull the trigger on a preorder right now but am still undecided...

On bosses:
there are no boss fights in the game.

On the story: I enjoyed the story in UC2 more.

Anteater

EatChildren said:

Nepal was my favorite part as well, I disliked the whole tutorial section at the beginning, when I replay the game, I usually play the
Nepal section all the up to the shambala entrance.
, anything near the end felt kind of dragged for me, maybe it's because of the notebook puzzles and platforming, then there's the final boss.

EatChildren

Gully State said:
For me, overexposure to preview coverage killed my enjoyment of the train sequence in UC2 (It's also why I've been on media black out with UC3- I think I've seen maybe one trailer and that's it). My favorite set piece with UC2 was the truck chase. It was cool jumping from truck to truck, throwing people off left and right and then culminating with the grenade launcher at the end. It was short, sweet, and had a really fun payoff at the very end.

I fucking hated the train :lol. Well, maybe not that aggressively, but it's the one big set piece of Uncharted 2 that I cannot share even a slither of the same amount of love that so many Uncharted fans feel. It was like the worst if corridor shooting dragging on for far too long. I think I expressed these grievances in my LTTP.

Napal rooftop chase with the heli, collapsing building, and final battle is easily my favourite. I enjoyed the truck fight too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
EatChildren said:
I fucking hated the train :lol. Well, maybe not that aggressively, but it's the one big set piece of Uncharted 2 that I cannot share even a slither of the same amount of love that so many Uncharted fans feel. It was like the worst if corridor shooting dragging on for far too long. I think I expressed these grievances in my LTTP.

Napal rooftop chase with the heli, collapsing building, and final battle is easily my favourite. I enjoyed the truck fight too.

My pinnacle moment in the game (scenery-wise) was reaching the top of that hotel. Breathtaking.

Top Bottom