• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky_R

LeonSKennedy90 said:
So its objectively a 9/10+ game, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, huh? Anyone who disagrees with that is just...wrong, is that is how it works?

What a glorious thread.

Are you the same LeonSkennedy that ran rampant on the N4G mainsite?

Yasir

Biggest disapointment with EG's review wasn't the score, it was the admission of mentioning the 3D. Might be in the minority, but I definetly would've want to know his opinion on it. I know Shane from Gametrailers mentioned it was among the best he'd seen in a game on one of the IW episodes.

Oh well. :(

DangerStepp said:
Wait, what?! I missed this. Explain.

Someone in this thread posted a comment saying that they understood why Greg Miller's (the IGN reviewer) wife divorced him. Another person called him (Greg) a douchebag.

lowrider007 said:
Probably because it would change the game design to one that uses up more resources and then also infringes upon the director's vision of what he/she wants the player to experience/see, Uncharted has a definite purpose in mind, and that is to give you a scripted movie like experience in an game that is as interactive as possible given the scope of the game and their goal, I think ND are teetering on the edge of today's technology in terms of delivering that to the player, I think if you pushed it any further you'd end up with something too experimental like Heavy Rain, which although I enjoyed it was quite a flawed game in many respects, I think ND have reached the peak of what is achievable in terms of cinematic experience and interactivity with today's consoles, they are trying to push cinematics as far is it can go but also retain and level of playability that appeals to most conventional gamers.
The problem I have with all the cinematic experience claims and defenses I see of Uncharted is precisely the kind of cinematic experience it provides. I honestly agree with what Simon Parkin said in Eurogamer's GOTY2009 article:

There's nothing wrong with a big, dumb feel-good matinee, and Uncharted 2 certainly deserved every accolade laid at its feet, but is that really what we're going to point to as our very medium's best in the last 12 months? Dead Nazis, yetis, stubble and one-liners? It's like picking The Temple of Doom over the Seventh Seal.

While I won't go so far to claim that there was any Seventh Seal-level game released in 2009, I do find it very telling that the sorts of cinema that developers most often emulate is the standard style-over-substance action blockbuster. The scripting and corridors might be more forgivable if Naughty Dog was achieving more - or even just attempting to achieve more - than letting me play a polygonal Indiana Jones. The games are fun (don't get me wrong), but they're stupid fun, that makes me feel like I should finish it with buttered popcorn grease dripping from my fingers and someone else's spilled soda sticking my shoes to the ground.

An absurd degree of cognitive dissonance exists in the Uncharted series. It's an adventure game, but you're never really permitted by the developers to go off and adventure. You stick to their banal movie script, with one and only one task: be Nolan North's stunt double.

spekkeh

Banned
flabberghastly said:
The problem I have with all the cinematic experience claims and defenses I see of Uncharted is precisely the kind of cinematic experience it provides. I honestly agree with what Simon Parkin said in Eurogamer's GOTY2009 article:

There's nothing wrong with a big, dumb feel-good matinee, and Uncharted 2 certainly deserved every accolade laid at its feet, but is that really what we're going to point to as our very medium's best in the last 12 months? Dead Nazis, yetis, stubble and one-liners? It's like picking The Temple of Doom over the Seventh Seal.

While I won't go so far to claim that there was any Seventh Seal-level game released in 2009, I do find it very telling that the sorts of cinema that developers most often emulate is the standard style-over-substance action blockbuster. The scripting and corridors might be more forgivable if Naughty Dog was achieving more - or even just attempting to achieve more - than letting me play a polygonal Indiana Jones. The games are fun (don't get me wrong), but they're stupid fun, that makes me feel like I should finish it with buttered popcorn grease dripping from my fingers and someone else's spilled soda sticking my shoes to the ground.

An absurd degree of cognitive dissonance exists in the Uncharted series. It's an adventure game, but you're never really permitted by the developers to go off and adventure. You stick to their banal movie script, with one and only one task: be Nolan North's stunt double.
Good find and QFT.

Pranay_ said:
Updated Thanks Loud Ninja

IGN - 10/10
OPM UK - 10/10
Eurogamer.cz - 10/10
Eurogamer.it (Italy) - 10/10
TheSixthAxis - 10/10
PS Lifestyle - 10/10
Level Magazine - 10/10
GameReactor (Sweden) - 10/10
GameReactor (Finland) - 10/10
IncGamers - 10/10
GameBlog.fr - 10/10
Giant Bomb - 5/5
GamePro - 5/5
Loading - 10/10
Gamefreaks - 10/10
ITavisen.no - 6/6
FZ - 5/5
PSNation: A
Destructoid - 10

Cheat Code Central - 4.9/5
NowGamer - 9.7/10
Vandal (Spain) - 9.6/10
Video Games Zone Germany - 9.3/10.
PS Focus - 9.8
GamingXP - 95
GameTrailers 9.5/10
GameInformer - 9.5/10 .
InsideDailyGaming - 9.5
Play.de - 9.5/10
IGN Germany - 9.5/10
Everyeye.it - 9.5/10
CVG - 9.5/10
1up - A
PSLife.de - 9.5/10
Machinima 95

XGN - 9.4
4Gamers - 9.4
Paste Magazine - 9.1

Jeuxvideo - 9/10
Metro - 9/10
Videogamer - 9/10
NZ Gamer - 9/10
Joystiq - 4.5/5
The Telegraph - 4.5/5
Edge - 9/10
Eurogamer.pt 9/10
GamesRadar - 9/10
GameReactor (Norway) - 9/10
***** - 8.9/10

G4TV/Xplay - 4/5
Eurogamer - 8/10
GamersGlobe - 8/10
GameReactor DK - 8/10
GameReactor (Germany) - 8/10

WTF another 8?

GameKult - 8

O_O

Les plus
Le plus beau jeu console actuellement
Gameplay rodé et maîtrisé sur le bout des doigts
Le rythme qui monte en puissance

Les moins
Uncharted 2.5

Loudninja

Drake has too many animations btw ;)

However, the gunplay – never this series’ strong suit – still feels like it’s taken a small step back. This is mostly due to the basic character movement. Naughty Dog has added some new animations to Drake’s run, which I add an unnecessarily convoluted jumpy quality to running and gunning (this feeling was confirmed when I pulled out Uncharted 2 to test my opinion). Interestingly, this is not a problem in the multiplayer, where the toned-down animations allow you to move in and out of cover and shoot more accurately.
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/u...archive/2011/10/24/uncharted-3-rev-dummy.aspx

Yamibito

Chinner said:
Hcrzj.gif
this thread is driving me quackers
Hcrzj.gif
This post made the entire thread worth it.

Ricky_R

flabberghastly said:
\

Isn't the game an action adventure third person shooter? The adventure aspect is the theme of the game, the locations, story, etc.

ND never intended to make an open world game in which exploring was one of the main aspects of it, or they would have done just that.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
BruiserBear said:
Sure, it's possible they actually believed the game was an 8/10, or a 4/5. But if they follow this industry closely, and play a lot of games each year, it's just hard to believe. Even an objective observer can see the Uncharted games are doing LOTS of things that few if any other games do in this day and age. It's truly in a league of it's own when it comes to storytelling in games today, and it's game engine is easily one of the best going right now.

Just watching the Uncharted 3 trailer from E3, and you can see the cinematic tone of this game is above and beyond almost any game today.

What I'm really trying to say is this. The sum of Uncharted 3's parts make it worthy of a higher score than an 8/10. Based purely on what I know right now, without having even played the single player campaign, I know this. Anyone reviewing videogames today knows this. Naughty Dog are among the elite of gaming developers today. These same reviewers giving 8's have most certainly given higher scores to games delivering far less than Uncharted 3 does.
holy shit.

Monarch

Banned
Pranay_ said:
Updated Thanks Loud Ninja

IGN - 10/10
OPM UK - 10/10
Eurogamer.cz - 10/10
Eurogamer.it (Italy) - 10/10
TheSixthAxis - 10/10
PS Lifestyle - 10/10
Level Magazine - 10/10
GameReactor (Sweden) - 10/10
GameReactor (Finland) - 10/10
IncGamers - 10/10
GameBlog.fr - 10/10
Giant Bomb - 5/5
GamePro - 5/5
Loading - 10/10
Gamefreaks - 10/10
ITavisen.no - 6/6
FZ - 5/5
PSNation: A
Destructoid - 10

Cheat Code Central - 4.9/5
NowGamer - 9.7/10
Vandal (Spain) - 9.6/10
Video Games Zone Germany - 9.3/10.
PS Focus - 9.8
GamingXP - 95
GameTrailers 9.5/10
GameInformer - 9.5/10 .
InsideDailyGaming - 9.5
Play.de - 9.5/10
IGN Germany - 9.5/10
Everyeye.it - 9.5/10
CVG - 9.5/10
1up - A
PSLife.de - 9.5/10
Machinima 95

XGN - 9.4
4Gamers - 9.4
Paste Magazine - 9.1

Jeuxvideo - 9/10
Metro - 9/10
Videogamer - 9/10
NZ Gamer - 9/10
Joystiq - 4.5/5
The Telegraph - 4.5/5
Edge - 9/10
Eurogamer.pt 9/10
GamesRadar - 9/10
GameReactor (Norway) - 9/10
***** - 8.9/10

G4TV/Xplay - 4/5
Eurogamer - 8/10
GamersGlobe - 8/10
GameReactor DK - 8/10
GameReactor (Germany) - 8/10

Average is 96.06 :p
And this including the 8/10 missing from Gamekult

Rengoku

flabberghastly said:

Thats an interesting point brought up by Simon Parkin, and while I would love for a game like Portal 2 to win GOTY to show off the best that our medium can achieve, we all know its most likely going to be a dudebro game like MW3.

DangerStepp

SolidSnakex said:
Someone in this thread posted a comment saying that they understood why Greg Miller's (the IGN reviewer) wife divorced him. Another person called him (Greg) a douchebag.
Jeez, that's grim. C'mon, people, I thought we had more class than that.
Wasn't there a point in time where that kind of stuff was ban-worthy?

Mr_Zombie

BruiserBear said:
Even an objective observer can see the Uncharted games are doing LOTS of things that few if any other games do in this day and age. It's truly in a league of it's own when it comes to storytelling in games today, and it's game engine is easily one of the best going right now.

Just watching the Uncharted 3 trailer from E3, and you can see the cinematic tone of this game is above and beyond almost any game today.

You see, and here lays the "problem". You mention "storytelling" and "cinematic tone" are "above and beyond almost any game today", but not everyone likes when those things are the focus of video games. It seems this was the main problem for the Eurogamer reviewer - that the game tries too much to be cinematic to the point it restricts the gamer.

It's similar to the GoW vs DMC/Bayonetta thing - one is clearly focusing on epic storytelling and set pieces, the other ones are focusing on tight combat engine and don't mind having cheesy story. Can you think both are great? Sure. But if someone who prefers challenging games with deep combat engine was to review God of War game you should not be surprised if his opinion on the game was that the game is just good. And the opposite - I know people who can't get into DMC games because they aren't cinematic enough and are too hard. Two different words, the same genre (according to some gamers).

The same goes with Uncharted. It focuses on scripts, linearity and cinematic set pieces, and that's great. But there are people who prefer their action adventure games to be more than interactive movies and you can't say they don't have the right to speak it up. This is also why I'm worried about the new Tomb Raider game, because it seems it takes too much inspiration from Uncharted and replaces challenging platforming and puzzle solving with scripted sequences and QTE.

DangerStepp said:
There's no such thing...unless you meant "outside observer" of the industry.

I'm not disagreeing with how great of a series Uncharted is or how innovative Naughty Dog are at telling a story, etc. I'm simply trying to put the job of a review into perspective for you. Not everyone is going to give it the score you would and if they don't then it's not necessarily to stand out/be different. It's our job as enthusiasts to step back and critically think about why the reviewer feels the way he/she did (that's that that big block of text that accompanies the number is for). A review should give us new ways of thinking about a game or give us new ideas of why we may feel a certain way that we were not privy to in the first place.

I can ascertain from your post that you would indeed give it a 10/10 before playing it.

and you would be wrong about that. You haven't seen me arguing about any 9/10 reviews, have you?

Sneds said:
Cinematic tone isn't objectively a good thing. Some people might not like cinematic tone. Generally, I'm one of those people.

Well, I guess a reviewer reviewing an RPG had better account for my lack of interest in RPG gameplay formulas, right?

smh

Sneds

Mr_Zombie said:
You see, and here lays the "problem". You mention "storytelling" and "cinematic tone" are "above and beyond almost any game today", but not everyone likes when those things are the focus of video games. It seems this was the main problem for the Eurogamer reviewer - that the game tries too much to be cinematic to the point it restricts the gamer.

Quite. If I wanted cinematic, I would go to the cinema.

I'd actually prefer for video games to do what they do best - interactivity.

BruiserBear said:
Well, I guess a reviewer reviewing an RPG had better account for my lack of interest in RPG gameplay formulas, right?

smh

Could you rephrase this please? I'm not sure what you mean.

darkwing

SuicidalSteve said:
Podcast for eurogamer is out and talks about the Score of U3...Heard that the person talking didn't play much multiplayer hmmm? o_O

nope, the giant bomb review talks about the MP more, like the 5 chapter/level co-op mode

lucius

darkwing said:
so what should we be angry at? the Eurogamer 8/10 score or the IGN 10/10 one?

yeah, just need some time to kill before the OT

There are much more 10/10's than 8/10's for this game so the 8 people are in minority, but they have every right to their view. The only low review that concerned me was Sessler's review since I usually agree with him except for LA Noire which after time has passed hasn't stood up as much as he hyped it. I am actually going into U3 with lowered expectations which will probably be good since after the Batman AC reviews I was expecting it to blow away Batmam AA and while the city is cooler and with more things to do the first game seemed more focused, there is less stealth also which is a shame so it isn't in all ways better than AA like the hype lead me to believe.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
SuicidalSteve said:
Podcast for eurogamer is out and talks about the Score of U3...Heard that the person talking didn't play much multiplayer hmmm? o_O

Here

Personally i couldn't care less about MP.

The Uncharted games for me were always about delivering a great SP campaign and this looks like it's no exception.

Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of the past few years.

Pranay

its wierd actually

no uncharted review got a score between 8 and 9

its either 8 or 9 and the rest are above 9 + [decimals] and the 10s

Varth

Sn4ke_911 said:
Personally i couldn't care less about MP.

The Uncharted games for me were always about delivering a great SP campaign and this looks like it's no exception.

Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of the past few years.

then be sure to play the Coop. I didn't find a single review so far that stressed enough how brilliant is it, even on split screen and with 2 out of 3 players.

DangerStepp

BruiserBear said:
and you would be wrong about that. You haven't seen me arguing about any 9/10 reviews, have you?
I missed those, but your most recent posts have argued that Uncharted 3 is the end-all be all of gaming and 8/10, 4/5 reviews are click-bait.

How am I to assume anything different ? :lol

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Varth said:
then be sure to play the Coop. I didn't find a single review so far that stressed enough how brilliant is it, even on split screen and with 2 out of 3 players.

Oh yeah totally forgot about that ... i played the hell outta UC2's co-op mode with my friend.

So much fun.

darkwing

Varth said:

giantbomb is the closest i think

There's plenty on the cooperative side as well. The standout is a five-chapter adventure mode that has three players fighting through a coherent storyline set in a variety of the story maps, with some light dialogue and cinematics added in for context. There's even an appearance by some old familiar faces in there. Then there's Hunters, which feels like a nod toward Left 4 Dead since it pits two fully equipped player characters against two other, weaker human players who are joined by a bunch of AI guys. And the Horde-like Arena mode has evolved a bit, so you're not just taking on wave after wave of enemies. Now, the rules shift between waves, so in one wave you might only get credit for kills that happen while you're inside a small territory, and in the next you might have to fight your way through the enemies to deliver a treasure to an objective point.

web01

They need to start marking games using a rubric system.

I do not have any problems with the U3 reviews but I am noticing lately in game reviews in general the writing is having no connection with the score at all. And the outcry over publications giving a game 8/10 is just ridiculous.

Ricky_R said:
Isn't the game an action adventure third person shooter? The adventure aspect is the theme of the game, the locations, story, etc.

ND never intended to make an open world game in which exploring was one of the main aspects of it, or they would have done just that.
I don't know why people keep trying to change the type of game ND has made; Uncharted is their vision, and that's it. I don't think they should apologize or be docked points for it either. If you want an open world game, there are plenty of options out there. To belittle the Uncharted game experience as just big dumb fun that's undeserving of high praise is pompous and pretentious too; since when are videogames supposed to be judged on how high-browed they are to be considered GOTY quality?

Varth

web01 said:
They need to start marking games using a rubric system.

I do not have any problems with the U3 reviews but I am noticing lately in game reviews in general the writing is having no connection with the score at all. And the outcry over publications giving a game 8/10 is just ridiculous.

I don't think the point is the score, frankly. I would be amazed in the same way if they gave it a 10/10. It's the point that comes out of the review that gives me a huge, MGS-like "?" on the head and makes me wonder what he was searching for in the game and didn't find.

wrighty86

Neo Member
I am a huge Uncharted fan and Uncharted 2 is my favourite game of all time. The only way Uncharted 3 could be better to my mind is provide a better final boss.

For those complaining that Uncharted is too linear, I really don't know what you expected from the game. Its part of the Uncharted's make up and fair enough if you don't like it, but I for one don't want to see Naughty Dog make this world into an open world. In in it for the story, characters and experience. Id rather see Naughty Dog make another IP then destroy the focus of Uncharted.

As for the Eurogamer review, 8/10 to me means that despite Simon not feeling the game much, he cant deny that it is good. How the hell are people complaining about a game recieving an 8/10 - especially when the reviewer didn't like the game much. If an 8 is as bad as people think the game is, I cant wait for November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom