• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

SmokyDave said:
I love posts like this. You literally do not know what you're talking about and yet you're happy to make such definitive statements.

The only posts I like better are the ones that suggest the reviewer is biased or that he 'hated' the game to only give it an 8.

Delicious madness.

Well, reviewers seem to point out that U3 is just as good as U2, or even better.

For someone who thinks that U2 is a 10/10 game, chances are big they'll rate the successor just as high as well.

It's still an awkward statement, though.

Game Analyst said:

Ah, perhaps you should get in contact with Simon Perkin and tell him that his opinion is factually incorrect, yes? What an embarrassing error on his part to give the great but not great enough score of 8/10 to the mighty Uncharted 3!

BruiserBear said:
Only a handful of games during the year truly deliver on all those fronts. So when you see a reviewer throw down an 8/10, or a 4/5, you get the distinct feeling they're trying to make a statement.
Or maybe they just liked the game but didn't like it enough to give it a higher score? I don't really understand what I'm supposed to take away from insight akin to what you've offered. Because from what I can gather, one of two things is true:

A. We can just stop having multiple people review a game. For that matter, we can have one person publish the definitive review before even playing the game, because we can get a general feel for the game's quality before playing it, and there's an objective score that can be assigned to that general feel.

If that seems harsh, let's move on:

B. Once a general consensus begins to emerge, everyone else can just phone it in and give scores that only deviate by two tenths of a percentage point, because clearly anything else is demonstrably wrong as the public has spoken.

Mind you, if the quality of the written text seems dubious, I can understand a certain degree of dissatisfaction with the reviewers ability to offer valid critique. There shouldn't be this much concern about the score, though, unless it just doesn't match up at all. I.E. "This game was one of the worst of the year: 8.5" or "Must play, feel-good game of the year: 5 / 10."

DangerStepp said:
What if they truly feel the game is an '8/10' or '4/5'; is it not possible they weren't as overwhelmed as they were with UC2?

I'd rather read an honestly thought out review devoid of all hype mongering and laden with hyperbole. Reviews of that ilk are literally laughable after the fire has settled and things aren't so hot anymore. (see: any GTAIV review)

Sure, it's possible they actually believed the game was an 8/10, or a 4/5. But if they follow this industry closely, and play a lot of games each year, it's just hard to believe. Even an objective observer can see the Uncharted games are doing LOTS of things that few if any other games do in this day and age. It's truly in a league of it's own when it comes to storytelling in games today, and it's game engine is easily one of the best going right now.

Just watching the Uncharted 3 trailer from E3, and you can see the cinematic tone of this game is above and beyond almost any game today.

What I'm really trying to say is this. The sum of Uncharted 3's parts make it worthy of a higher score than an 8/10. Based purely on what I know right now, without having even played the single player campaign, I know this. Anyone reviewing videogames today knows this. Naughty Dog are among the elite of gaming developers today. These same reviewers giving 8's have most certainly given higher scores to games delivering far less than Uncharted 3 does.

SmokyDave

Game Analyst said:
So what reason is there that Simon Perkin should've enjoyed it more than he did?

Second said:
Well, reviewers seem to point out that U3 is just as good as U2, or even better.

For someone who thinks that U2 is a 10/10 game, chances are big they'll rate the successor just as high as well.
Shouldn't have rated U2 as a 10 if it could be surpassed just a couple of years later. Sounds like they fluffed the original score.

Either that, or review scores aren't really all that useful.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I just love all this bickering and trying to discredit an 8/10(a great score, btw).

Why are you getting upset about people trying to discredit a review when you just posted this a few minutes ago?

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Chad Concelmo reviews are always hyped up fanboy nonsense. I don't see why we give him any slack when we went to town on Greg Miller's equally bad, 10/10 review

DangerStepp

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I just love all this bickering and trying to discredit an 8/10(a great score, btw). A game NONE OF YOU HAVE EVEN PLAYED, btw. Do you realize how absolutely silly you look when you say things like, "No way is UC3 an 8/10!"
This is G̶a̶m̶e̶F̶A̶Q̶s̶ NeoGAF, dude.

Chinner

Banned
jfowU.png

Loudninja

GamingXP review 95
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is one of the best PS3 games around, no action-adventure could stand up to it by comparison – until now! Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception combines the good elements of its predecessor with some new, fresh features like the enhanced multiplayer in a stunning setting. The atmosphere and the story really capture the player's interest and will have them lost track of time. A great game – thanks, Naughty Dog.
http://www.gamingxp.com/bericht-520...og_inc.-ps3-uncharted_3_drake_s_deception.htm

Machinima 95
If Uncharted 3 proves anything, it's that Naughty Dog may be the most versatile studio in videogames. Their ability to craft tightly paced cinematic action, lighthearted narratives, endearing characters, and paint it with technical wizardry is unparalleled. Every single aspect of Uncharted 3, including its surprisingly robust multiplayer, is staggeringly well-executed.
http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2011/10/24/uncharted-3-drakes-deception-review/

jet1911

badcrumble said:
I think it's silly to be upset about the Eurogamer score. 8 is perfectly respectable.

The actual text of the review, though, is stupid and boils down to being upset that Uncharted isn't in a genre that the writer likes (or being upset about general trends in gaming).
Yep. Well I don't think the review itself is stupid, surely there are more people like the reviewer who prefer more more options/less hand holding in their games... The series really is like a blockbuster movie and I think you need to have that mindset when you play these games. I personnaly love them but I have no problems understanding what can bother some people.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Loudninja said:
Yes I seen it in this page alone, its and endless cycle.
It is amazing because this is the first game I can think of since Counter-Strike Source where you could play the multiplayer so far ahead of release, and yet "you haven't played it" is the brainless retort in half of the posts.

darkwing said:
yup, G4TV's review that the MP is 'tacked on' is more controversial imo
It is not even "controversial" it is just funny that people consider individuals that have spent less time with it than some random person who got a cup at Subway as some beacon of intelligence.

SmokyDave

Mooreberg said:
It is amazing because this is the first game I can think of since Counter-Strike Source where you could play the multiplayer so far ahead of release, and yet "you haven't played it" is the brainless retort in half of the posts.
This isn't Battlefield we're talking about here, the single player is the real meat of the game for many people.

Loudninja

darkwing said:
so what should we be angry at? the Eurogamer 8/10 score or the IGN 10/10 one?

yeah, just need some time to kill before the OT
Should be angry at all reviews for not going into detail like gamespot did!

Sneds

SmokyDave said:
The only posts I like better are the ones that suggest the reviewer is biased or that he 'hated' the game to only give it an 8.

You mean Cliffy B?

We shouldn't expect too much from video game players, when video game creators are equally crazy.

BruiserBear said:
What I'm really trying to say is this. The sum of Uncharted 3's parts make it worthy of a higher score than an 8/10. Based purely on what I know right now, without having even played the single player campaign, I know this. Anyone reviewing videogames today knows this. Naughty Dog are among the elite of gaming developers today. These same reviewers giving 8's have most certainly given higher scores to games delivering far less than Uncharted 3 does.

So its objectively a 9/10+ game, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, huh? Anyone who disagrees with that is just...wrong, is that is how it works?

What a glorious thread.

Mooreberg

SmokyDave said:
This isn't Battlefield we're talking about here, the single player is the real meat of the game for many people.
Some of us are not even replying to what the reviews said about single player because - gasp - we haven't played it yet. I'm talking about a completely off the mark evaluation of multiplayer that we have been playing, and going so far as to register our own issues with it in the requisite thread.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
BruiserBear said:
Call me whatever name you'd like for saying that, but the fact of the matter is we KNOW Uncharted 3 delivers on those things without even playing it. Naughty Dog has delivered that experienced before, we know they're going to do it again. Now of course there could be disagreements about how great the story is, or how memorable this scene was over one in Uncharted 2, but no one is going to argue right now that Uncharted 3 won't look amazing, run amazingly smooth, play extremely well, and deliver top notch storytelling.
Top notch storytelling?

Pranay

Updated Thanks Loud Ninja

IGN - 10/10
OPM UK - 10/10
Eurogamer.cz - 10/10
Eurogamer.it (Italy) - 10/10
TheSixthAxis - 10/10
PS Lifestyle - 10/10
Level Magazine - 10/10
GameReactor (Sweden) - 10/10
GameReactor (Finland) - 10/10
IncGamers - 10/10
GameBlog.fr - 10/10
Giant Bomb - 5/5
GamePro - 5/5
Loading - 10/10
Gamefreaks - 10/10
ITavisen.no - 6/6
FZ - 5/5
PSNation: A
Destructoid - 10

Cheat Code Central - 4.9/5
NowGamer - 9.7/10
Vandal (Spain) - 9.6/10
Video Games Zone Germany - 9.3/10.
PS Focus - 9.8
GamingXP - 95
GameTrailers 9.5/10
GameInformer - 9.5/10 .
InsideDailyGaming - 9.5
Play.de - 9.5/10
IGN Germany - 9.5/10
Everyeye.it - 9.5/10
CVG - 9.5/10
1up - A
PSLife.de - 9.5/10
Machinima 95

XGN - 9.4
4Gamers - 9.4
Paste Magazine - 9.1

Jeuxvideo - 9/10
Metro - 9/10
Videogamer - 9/10
NZ Gamer - 9/10
Joystiq - 4.5/5
The Telegraph - 4.5/5
Edge - 9/10
Eurogamer.pt 9/10
GamesRadar - 9/10
GameReactor (Norway) - 9/10
***** - 8.9/10

G4TV/Xplay - 4/5
Eurogamer - 8/10
GamersGlobe - 8/10
GameReactor DK - 8/10
GameReactor (Germany) - 8/10

DangerStepp

BruiserBear said:
Sure, it's possible they actually believed the game was an 8/10, or a 4/5. But if they follow this industry closely, and play a lot of games each year, it's just hard to believe. Even an objective observer can see the Uncharted games are doing LOTS of things that few if any other games do in this day and age. It's truly in a league of it's own when it comes to storytelling in games today, and it's game engine is easily one of the best going right now.

Just watching the Uncharted 3 trailer from E3, and you can see the cinematic tone of this game is above and beyond almost any game today.

There's no such thing...unless you meant "outside observer" of the industry.

I'm not disagreeing with how great of a series Uncharted is or how innovative Naughty Dog are at telling a story, etc. I'm simply trying to put the job of a review into perspective for you. Not everyone is going to give it the score you would and if they don't then it's not necessarily to stand out/be different. It's our job as enthusiasts to step back and critically think about why the reviewer feels the way he/she did (that's that that big block of text that accompanies the number is for). A review should give us new ways of thinking about a game or give us new ideas of why we may feel a certain way that we were not privy to in the first place.

I can ascertain from your post that you would indeed give it a 10/10 before playing it.

Chinner

Banned
so far my review for uncharted reviews come at 10/10 its been a thrilling adventure with some highs, some lows, and lots of lube.

SmokyDave

Mooreberg said:
Some of us are not even replying to what the reviews said about single player because - gasp - we haven't played it yet. I'm talking about a completely off the mark evaluation of multiplayer that we have been playing, and going so far as to register our own issues with it in the requisite thread.
Yeah, sure, you were only talking about off the mark evaluations of multi-player. Sure ;)

Sneds

BruiserBear said:

Cinematic tone isn't objectively a good thing. Some people might not like cinematic tone. Generally, I'm one of those people.

BruiserBear said:

You are insane in the membrane.

Ricky_R

Marius_ said:
Back to a 94!! get me on my meds!!

fjq150.jpg

hahaha

That gif suits the moment so well

About this thread... LAAAARD, I can't believe you guys are still arguing about the same shit. It's like yesterday never happened.

Mooreberg

SmokyDave said:
Yeah, sure, you were only talking about off the mark evaluations of multi-player. Sure ;)
No, I also mentioned having never heard of "GamersGlobe" which somehow means I'm knocking Eurogamer, despite never once mentioning that site in this thread. Maybe some moron can quote this too and use it to point out how I'm badmouthing another site I never mentioned.

Dabanton

Wow at this thread haven't really dropped in because i'm on a UC3 media blackout but this thread is really something. And yet again shows that to some gamers the metacritic score is more important than actual enjoyment of the game.

I can only imagine that these scores give them 'bragging rights' in arguments.

Majmun

SmokyDave said:
Shouldn't have rated U2 as a 10 if it could be surpassed just a couple of years later. Sounds like they fluffed the original score.

Either that, or review scores aren't really all that useful.

A game can be a personal 10/10. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their special games.

RooMHM

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Ah, perhaps you should get in contact with Simon Perkin and tell him that his opinion is factually incorrect, yes? What an embarrassing error on his part to give the great but not great enough score of 8/10 to the mighty Uncharted 3!
He should! I mean controversy and debate leads people to actually think about their views and opinion of others no?

Loudninja said:
I love it when review summaries don't even mention the gameplay. Those movies must be fantastic!

SmokyDave

Mooreberg said:
No, I also mentioned having never heard of "GamersGlobe" which somehow means I'm knocking Eurogamer, despite never once mentioning that site in this thread. Maybe some moron can quote this too and use it to point out how I'm badmouthing another site I never mentioned.
What the fuck is your problem with Destructoid?

:p

Chinner said:
Hcrzj.gif
this thread is driving me quackers
Hcrzj.gif
i've given up trying to reason with anyone taking pot shots at the low, or high, reviews.

i'm only hanging around here still because i want to know how the game performs in 3D.

actually, i'm still enjoying reading the nonsense, i just haven't the energy left to continue trying to reason with the madness.

this thread broke me.

Pranay

RooMHM said:
He should! I mean controversy and debate leads people to actually think about their views and opinion of others no?

I love it when review summaries don't even mention the gameplay. Those movies must be fantastic!

same applies for eurogamer

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mooreberg said:
Commence to hoping that the Destructoid reviewer's wife leaves him...
That... was easily the darkest moment in anything I've seen on this forum in a while. I'm glad it didn't last long.

spekkeh

Banned
I was one of those that nerd raged quite a bit about Gerstmann's 8.8 back in the day. After finishing the game I thought an 8.8 was a bit on the generous side however. Game criticism has matured somewhat recently, and I see this fallout as people that haven't gotten on with the time. We're all fine and dandy when a great movie gets a 80% on rottentomatoes (NB that's 20% of the critics giving the movie a 5/10 or lower), but when one game critic says a game is simply great instead of excellent, this is supposedly a dissenting opinion of a prick that only does it for the page views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom