• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
matrix-cat said:
It's a platformer, that's how they work. You miss a jump, you leap to an area you aren't supposed to, it generally ends in a game over. Unless you equip Nate with Batman's grapple gun and have him auto-zipline out of danger there's not really a way of getting around it.

In Uncharted 2 it wasn't just jumps/platforming. I remember with the crashed train sequence in the snow if you tried to walk out of the area too soon it went to a cutscene of you getting gunned down, even if there were no enemies near you.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The_Technomancer said:
So...were 10/10s from reviewers who went into it extremely hyped not biased?
What you want to know is whether you'll absolutely love the game if you didn't really like previous ones? The answer is that you probably won't. However, the game is by all accounts an improvement over the previous two, so maybe if you were on the fence it could push you over.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
SmokyDave said:
I fucking love this one...

It just says "I have gone off the rails, please medicate me for my own safety and the safety of others".

2hnqd78.jpg

I knew this would fly over peoples heads, :lol

Chad Concelmo reviews are always hyped up fanboy nonsense. I don't see why we give him any slack when we went to town on Greg Miller's equally bad, 10/10 review

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Second said:
A 10 from Destructiod is suprising. They gave Dark Souls a 7 and Batman AC an 8,5.

I expected a 9 max.

Sterling reviewed Batman.

nuff said.

Chinner

Banned
KAOz said:
Wasn't it said in this very thread that Destructoid is a joke site? Hence, shall we disregard this score?

Just checking.
yeah but no listen if its a bad score we can dismiss it and if its a good score we can admire it!

tha_devil

Mr_Zombie said:
You see, this is where score system as we know it fails. Because according to your logic reviewers shouldn't give indie games good scores (even if the game is amazing and addictive) because those games automatically lose due to lower production values than most AAA games.

Also, why do you need to compare games with similar grades. Each game is different, each has different cons and pros, you can't compare them based just on a single number.
Sorry no, dont mean that. Of course indie games can get an amazing grade, but giving uncharted 3 the same grade as many other game, while it is so polished, beautiful and solid mechanics. The only flaw (i dont really mind it myself) it has would be linearity, but that is the case with most shooters.

But looking at other game reviews from eurogamer that received an 8. Uncharted is clearly better than those.

The reason i asked what amriox would give gears 3, because eurogamer gave it the same grade as uncharted 3 (undeserved imho). They must just hate good third person shooter games.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Chad Concelmo reviews are always hyped up fanboy nonsense.
If they used thesaurus more, would their opinion be worth more to you? At the end of the day, it just means that two people who loved the previous game love this one as well, even if they can't describe it with great eloquence.

KAOz

Short bus special
Chinner said:
yeah but no listen if its a bad score we can dismiss it and if its a good score we can admire it!

But... but.... gah... I....

Nah, I'll let you handle them Chinner, you're good at it.

Drinky and mama...you beautiful, beautiful bastards.

SmokyDave said:
I fucking love this one...

It just says "I have gone off the rails, please medicate me for my own safety and the safety of others".

Typed whilst masturbating and weeping. You can always count on the Sony faithful to bring the batshit.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
fizzelopeguss said:
Typed whilst masturbating and weeping. You can always count on the Sony faithful to bring the batshit.

where you watching? gotta remember to close my curtains next time

Loudninja said:
Gamespot has the best review to me.

their video spoiled a scene for me but other than that it was spot on

Chaplain

Edge - http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/uncharted-3-drakes-deception-review

That adventure remains the jewel in Uncharted 3’s crown. Every time the game confronts you with another gilded, millennia-old piece of architecture, the same thought occurs: how could a primitive civilisation build something so immense, so confoundingly ornate? The present console cycle is expected to last nearly a decade, and there will inevitably be developers advocating the need for more sophisticated tools. But just like Machu Picchu, the Pyramids and every other engineering marvel of antiquity, Uncharted 3 will stand as a reminder to future generations of gamers that enough problem-solving imagination can turn any old trowel into a magic wand. [9]

DangerStepp

People wiggin' out over scores again...this is why I love the holidays.
You know it's going to be a rad game; is some guy's review going to stop you from playing it?

I'm really at a loss when trying to understand the mentality of those who lose it over reviews. Has to be children. HAS to be children.

Aeana

pharmboy044 said:
If Drinky and Mama don't call out posters in the Zelda thread, they'll just be a bunch of fanboys pointing out other fanboys in my eyes.
That doesn't make what they pointed out any less ridiculous. But if it does happen with Zelda or any other game, I should hope it is pointed out as well. It was a really embarrassing showing for everyone involved.

jet1911

tha_devil said:
Sorry no, dont mean that. Of course indie games can get an amazing grade, but giving uncharted 3 the same grade as many other game, while it is so polished, beautiful and solid mechanics. The only flaw (i dont really mind it myself) it has would be linearity, but that is the case with most shooters.

But looking at other game reviews from eurogamer that received an 8. Uncharted is clearly better than those.

The reason i asked what amriox would give gears 3, because eurogamer gave it the same grade as uncharted 3 (undeserved imho). They must just hate good third person shooter games.
Giving it an 8 = hating a game now?

I think what bothers me about reviews like G4's 4/5 or the 8/10's is this.

The truth of the matter about today's gaming world is that there is a lot of mediocrity all around us. There are a lot of games that try so hard to tell exciting stories, have a game engine that looks amazing, have a game that runs smoothly, have memorable moments that are actually memorable, have characters that are actually interesting, pull off believable voice acting, have multiplayer that is entertaining, and flat out deliver an experience that feels like it was made by people who know what the fuck they're doing, and don't settle for anything less than greatness.

Call me whatever name you'd like for saying that, but the fact of the matter is we KNOW Uncharted 3 delivers on those things without even playing it. Naughty Dog has delivered that experienced before, we know they're going to do it again. Now of course there could be disagreements about how great the story is, or how memorable this scene was over one in Uncharted 2, but no one is going to argue right now that Uncharted 3 won't look amazing, run amazingly smooth, play extremely well, and deliver top notch storytelling.

Only a handful of games during the year truly deliver on all those fronts. So when you see a reviewer throw down an 8/10, or a 4/5, you get the distinct feeling they're trying to make a statement. Like they're special, or different, and they see things in a more critical light. They're fully aware this game offers a polished package that almost no other game this year will deliver, and yet they're going to make sure it's not getting the highest score possible, just because they've found a few nitpicks that they'd like to talk about. If those same reviewers were handed this game, and it wasn't called Uncharted 3, it would get a higher score. Because this is Uncharted 3, they decided it was time to give a statement score.

Game Analyst said:
U3 is definitely not an 8 though. Far from it.

YOU HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED THE GAME

and I wasn't aware that you were the ultimate decider on what number a game was rated

God, you people can be some self-entitled idiots when you put your mind to it

I think it's silly to be upset about the Eurogamer score. 8 is perfectly respectable.

The actual text of the review, though, is stupid and boils down to being upset that Uncharted isn't in a genre that the writer likes (or being upset about general trends in gaming).

Majmun

Lord Error said:
It's probably the only one I've seen that described well enough what is it that makes the gameplay in these games so fun and unique.

Drinky in a Nintendo thread?

God save us all if that ever happens.

SmokyDave

Game Analyst said:
U3 is definitely not an 8 though. Far from it.
I love posts like this. You literally do not know what you're talking about and yet you're happy to make such definitive statements.

The only posts I like better are the ones that suggest the reviewer is biased or that he 'hated' the game to only give it an 8.

Delicious madness.

DangerStepp

BruiserBear said:
I think what bothers me about reviews like G4's 4/5 or the 8/10's is this.

The truth of the matter about today's gaming world is that there is a lot of mediocrity all around us. There are a lot of games that try so hard to tell exciting stories, have a game engine that looks amazing, have a game that runs smoothly, have memorable moments that are actually memorable, have characters that are actually interesting, pull off believable voice acting, have multiplayer that is entertaining, and flat out deliver an experience that feels like it was made by people who know what the fuck they're doing, and don't settle for anything less than greatness.

Call me whatever name you'd like for saying that, but the fact of the matter is we KNOW Uncharted 3 delivers on those things without even playing it. Naughty Dog has delivered that experienced before, we know they're going to do it again. Now of course there could be disagreements about how great the story is, or how memorable this scene was over one in Uncharted 2, but no one is going to argue right now that Uncharted 3 won't look amazing, run amazingly smooth, play extremely well, and deliver top notch storytelling.

Because frankly the bar is kind of low in videogames these days. Only a handful of games during the year truly deliver on all those fronts. So when you see a reviewer throw down an 8/10, or a 4/5, you get the distinct feeling they're trying to make a statement. Like they're special, or different, and they see things in a more critical light. They're fully aware this game offers a polished package that almost no other game this year will deliver, and yet they're going to make sure it's not getting the highest score possible, just because they've found a few nitpicks that they'd like to talk about.
What if they truly feel the game is an '8/10' or '4/5'; is it not possible they weren't as overwhelmed as they were with UC2?

I'd rather read an honestly thought out review devoid of all hype mongering and laden with hyperbole. Reviews of that ilk are literally laughable after the fire has settled and things aren't so hot anymore. (see: any GTAIV review)

If you "know" UC3 is every bit of amazing as you believe it is then there should be no room for argument; why even read a review? Honestly, why would you? You've been convinced and your purchase is locked in.

SmokyDave

Game Analyst said:
I have played the game.
Are we talking just Subway multi or have you actually played the game?

Regardless, how does that change the reviewers feelings? Should he have consulted you first?

I just love all this bickering and trying to discredit an 8/10(a great score, btw). A game NONE OF YOU HAVE EVEN PLAYED, btw. Do you realize how absolutely silly you look when you say things like, "No way is UC3 an 8/10!"

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
BruiserBear said:
Call me whatever name you'd like for saying that, but the fact of the matter is we KNOW Uncharted 3 delivers on those things without even playing it.
Nobody knows anything until they have played it - but the fact that people have been playing MP for three weeks, more than enough to know it isn't "tacked on" seems to be completely lost on several posters here. Instead Eurogamer keeps getting brought up when some of us never mentioned the site even once.

Commence to hoping that the Destructoid reviewer's wife leaves him...

Loudninja

Mooreberg said:
Nobody knows anything until they have played it - but the fact that people have been playing MP for three weeks, more than enough to know it isn't "tacked on" seems to be completely lost on several posters here. Instead Eurogamer keeps getting brought up when some of us never mentioned the site even once.

Commence to hoping that the Destructoid reviewer's wife leaves him...
Yes I seen it in this page alone, its and endless cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom