• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

RooMHM

dragonflys545 said:
LOL innovation on sequels... SURE...
Are you serious? never said yearly sequels or even two year gap sequels were my cup of tea.
I saw it Patapwn and while those changes don't seem to change the game much, I'll still wait and see if they do.

Any chance of this ridiculous thread taking its dying breath today? I can't vouch for other review threads, but this one is a plague that should be thrown into the deepest pits of hell.

Carcetti

I can't believe I'm reading some of this. Or writing this.

A video game review, like any other review, is an opinion piece, supported by facts gained from playing the game, where the writer tells us what they think of the game (hopefully creating an interesting text).

There's no 'right' way to review a game. Or a 'wrong' way. You might not like the way someone writes of a game, but you have to deal with it. Read about Armond White in movie criticism if you don't believe me.

Also, if someone has a different opinion of a game than you, you should find it more interesting than something that just validates what you like to hear. Maybe you'll think about it a bit and think of something interesting.

This is basic media literacy. Maybe it should be taught in schools so people don't geek out like this.

This is so depressing. Should just probably stay in OffTopic from now on.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Honestly I play Uncharted for the story, not for the gameplay. It's a great game, I just don't think it wouldn't be worth a 9+(scorewise) if it wasn't for the story.

Vice

Cruzader said:
All video games have this and more so future games with realistic settings. At the end, they are just games. If not seen that way, they will be boring. It's like movies. Transformers is a movie for people of all ages but you ignore all the deaths occurring in the freeway from the transformers skating through it and blowing shit up. It's a movie, who gives a shit who dies in those scenes that look awesome with cars getting crushed and blown to pieces.

The audience is supposed to care. In Transformers it's supposed to show how little the Decipticons care for human life or how dangerous having giant robots fighting would be on Earth. The death and destruction is supposed to make you take the story seriously.
In Uncharted games Drake, Sully and crew never even seem to care that they've killed thousands of people in the past week, some of them relatively innocent.

Gvaz said:
Let me paraphrase what you're saying here:

"The previous games were great so this one will be great, I don't even have to play it to know that. I don't actually even have to do my job, I can just write some words and slap a number on it that it may or may not deserve."

If you read my words there, and came away with that, than there isn't much point in us having a conversation. Not that you intended to anyway, but just sayin.

RedRedSuit said:
This exact mindset is partially the reason why game reviews have this annoying "goodwill" system which causes every AAA sequel -- unless it really fucks up -- to get 90%+ scores almost regardless of flaws or changing standards or repetition. From the moment Halo was released, Halos 2, 3, 4, ... have been guaranteed 90%+ scores. From the moment Uncharted 2 shocked everyone, Uncharteds 3, 4, ... have been guaranteed 90%+ scores. Same with Zelda, main Mario games, and so on. Reviews of AAA games have about as much to do with quality as they do with preconceived notions of the particular series.

The video game press is largely drive by hype and reputation. It's annoying as hell.

Well, just answer me this question. If Uncharted 3 held up to the same gameplay and story standards as Uncharted 2, and the game just looked a little better, and the multiplayer got a little better than U2, what would you score U3?

I have a funny feeling it's not an 8/10.

I'm not suggesting U3 should get a 9/10 without it being played. I've only said that I can't imagine myself not giving it a 9/10. There is a huge difference, but unfortunately some people have read my words and completely missed that.

RedRedSuit said:
Don't get me wrong. Uncharted 3 looks amazing. I have no reason to believe the Eurogamer guy is right and the 10/10 people are wrong. But he should review the game on its own merits and according to his own standards. As long as he explains those, there is no problem. After all, if 1 of 50 reviewers thinks games like Uncharted aren't interactive enough, chances are 1 of 50 gamers might feel the same way. I'm not that 1 of 50... but they are out there, even though I find those people insane. So it all works out.

I feel no anger about Eurogamers 8/10. I'm not one of those people. Of course this game is going to average very high scores, and will likely be GOTY for many sites. I'm just sharing my opinion that I can understand people questioning such reviews, because I do find it a little hard to believe this game doesn't deserve more than an 8. What we've seen so far just seems too well executed to warrant such a score.

kayos90 said:
Honestly I play Uncharted for the story, not for the gameplay. It's a great game, I just don't think it wouldn't be worth a 9+(scorewise) if it wasn't for the story.

I don't think I could play Uncharted just for the story, Uncharted 2's plot was a mess. The presentation and dialogue is up there, but the narrative itself had serious ADD.

kayos90

brandonh83 said:
I don't think I could play Uncharted just for the story, Uncharted 2's plot was a mess. The presentation and dialogue is up there, but the narrative itself had serious ADD.
It's like a fun flick to watch with friends.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Redundancy is frowned upon in society GAF. play the game for yourself next week. stop complaining about reviews, and stop complaining about people complaining about reviews. this thread literally devolved into nothing about 80 pages ago and hasn't moved ever since.

GreekWolf

Jarmel said:
Everybody loves Indiana Jones.
I learned first hand this isn't true. I once dated a girl who not only hated the franchise, but somehow managed to find the religious imagery offensive. I still find that mind-boggling.

Ricky_R

Carcetti said:
I can't believe I'm reading some of this. Or writing this.

A video game review, like any other review, is an opinion piece, supported by facts gained from playing the game, where the writer tells us what they think of the game (hopefully creating an interesting text).

There's no 'right' way to review a game. Or a 'wrong' way. You might not like the way someone writes of a game, but you have to deal with it. Read about Armond White in movie criticism if you don't believe me.

Also, if someone has a different opinion of a game than you, you should find it more interesting than something that just validates what you like to hear. Maybe you'll think about it a bit and think of something interesting.

This is basic media literacy. Maybe it should be taught in schools so people don't geek out like this.

This is so depressing. Should just probably stay in OffTopic from now on.

I agree, but Armond White is in another league entirely. That dude has given a lot of positive reviews to some of the crappiest films ever made, while giving negative reviews to most of the critically acclaimed movies.

I don't have a problem with him though, but he sure loves going against the current almost every time.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The_Technomancer said:
That...is a weird correlation to draw. The reason we have such amazing games this year is that we got two entries from the industries two best "linear experience" devs, we're getting two more entries in huge franchises that only release every 4-6 years and that are known for their consistently high quality, and a sequel to one of the most surprisingly good games in the last five years. I would say that all of the really excellent games this year all just happened to fall on the same year; they're quality specifically because of the known talent behind them.
Well DICE themselves said that they want to ship a 90 Metacritic game; that's why I said that actually. I agree with the talent part though, but I feel like it will always be in the back of their minds. You can see how the publishers say, "Hey, our game is like so and so on Metacritic."

Cruzader said:
All video games have this and more so future games with realistic settings. At the end, they are just games. If not seen that way, they will be boring. It's like movies. Transformers is a movie for people of all ages but you ignore all the deaths occurring in the freeway from the transformers skating through it and blowing shit up. It's a movie, who gives a shit who dies in those scenes that look awesome with cars getting crushed and blown to pieces.

I don't even know what you're trying to argue, but the reason for the bolded part is because Transformers are shitty films.

EDIT:
Ricky_R said:
I agree, but Armond White is in another league entirely. That dude has given a lot of positive reviews to some of the crappiest films ever made, while giving negative reviews to most of the critically acclaimed movies.

I don't have a problem with him though, but he sure loves going against the current almost every time.

Armond White is the alpha troll. If we had a videogame version of him, videogame forums would melt down on every big release. Jim Sterling is about as close as we've got so far.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
BannedEpisode said:
Is a 94 Metacritic not good enough?

Does it really need to be a 95, 96, or whatever?

Come on gaf.

I just ran the latest numbers and it's official: Uncharted 3's 94 is statistically lower than Uncharted 2's 96.

A great injustice has been perpetrated and all reviewers must hang.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Vice said:
The audience is supposed to care. In Transformers it's supposed to show how little the Decipticons care for human life or how dangerous having giant robots fighting would be on Earth. The death and destruction is supposed to make you take the story seriously.
In Uncharted games Drake, Sully and crew never even seem to care that they've killed thousands of people in the past week, some of them relatively innocent.
Wait are you really trying to argue the mass murderer stance in a medium as (generally) unrealistic as video games?

BruiserBear said:
Well, just answer me this question. If Uncharted 3 held up to the same gameplay and story standards as Uncharted 2, and the game just looked a little better, and the multiplayer got a little better than U2, what would you score U3?

Probably the same or higher. Of course it depends on whether *I* thought U2 deserved an 8 itself.

Plus, formulae *can* get old. Personally I think Uncharted is nowhere near that point however.

I feel no anger about Eurogamers 8/10. I'm not one of those people. Of course this game is going to average very high scores, and will likely be GOTY for many sites. I'm just sharing my opinion that I can understand people questioning such reviews, because I do find it a little hard to believe this game doesn't deserve more than an 8. What we've seen so far just seems too well executed to warrant such a score.

That, again, depends on what you as a reviewer value in a video game.

zoner said:
I find him to be an annoying, obnoxious, murdering asshole.

Ha, Indy and Drake are quite equal in terms of their willingness to straight up murder someone's ass (even if the sheer numbers don't quite match up... it is a video game after all).

Asshole? He's a nice guy to the people that deserve it.

As for annoying and obnoxious, to each his own.

kayos90

BruiserBear said:
If you read my words there, and came away with that, than there isn't much point in us having a conversation. Not that you intended to anyway, but just sayin.

It would be 8/10 if times have changed or something that is an industry standard is not implemented into the game. Perhaps to the reviewer, it's a great game but it's too similar with little variations in what U2 did and as a result they gave it an 8/10. It's a good game but it doesn't go above and beyond and stand apart from the other games in the industry to merit a 9 or above.

Ricky_R

PairOfFilthySocks said:
Armond White is the alpha troll. If we had a videogame version of him, videogame forums would melt down on every big release. Jim Sterling is about as close as we've got so far.

I didn't want to say it, but yeah... He's a massive troll and one that gets deep under 90% of the cyber movie enthusiasts's skin.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think the people who can't handle the dissonance in the Uncharted games are just about as annoying as the psychotics whining about 2 point differences on a 100-point scale.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I think the people who can't handle the dissonance in the Uncharted games are just about as annoying as the psychotics whining about 2 point differences on a 100-point scale.
Leon kills so many infected in RE4 why can't he just cure them?! That wise cracking bingo night missing asshole.

EloquentM said:
Wait are you really trying to argue the mass murderer stance in a medium as (generally) unrealistic as video games?

That really leaves me dumbfounded. I thought the freedom complaints were idiotic, but that really takes the cake.

Vice

EloquentM said:

I'm trying to say the use of death should matter in games especially one that tries to be as serious as Uncharted. I don't mind that you kill a cities worth of dudes in Uncharted but the fact that it's rarely mentioned, and if I'm remembering right never by the heroes, is weird since the games are so focused on Nathan's experiences.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
cutmeamango said:
That really leaves me dumbfounded. I thought the freedom complaints were idiotic, but that really takes the cake.
Drake being a mass murderer creates a disconnect between the player and the character. I'm not sure why though since all of drakes enemies seem to be pirates and mercenaries who would kill him otherwise.

cutmeamango said:
You'd be surprised at what lengths people will go to in order to trash a widely praised game.
EloquentM said:
Drake being a mass murderer creates a disconnect between the player and the character.
So you must have something against Sam Fisher, Master Chief, Solid Snake, Lara Croft, Mario and pretty much every other lead game character in existence, correct?

scitek

Princess Skittles said:
NeoGAF covers all games of all genres for all players. How can you claim that somebody that doesn't want a game that YOU PERSONALLY are frothing over like a Justin Beiber fangirl, would be dead to an entire message board that has the breadth of this one? Uncharted certainly isn't a game for everybody. In essence, it's just another high production value dudebro shooter with a generic white guy with a "totally not planned" five o'clock shadow spitting quips that would be embarrassing even in a Michael Bay movie. What of interest does it offer to a female gamer that likes RPGs and quirky Japanese games?

Don't bother. He can't speak to the dead.

StuBurns

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Why isn't the same argued levied against Gordon Freeman? He murdered hundreds of patriotic marines who were just following orders.
Who are attempting to enslave the human race? And he doesn't speak, let alone crack gags.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Vice said:
I'm trying to say the use of death should matter in games especially one that tries to be as serious as Uncharted. I don't mind that you kill a cities worth of dudes in Uncharted but the fact that it's rarely mentioned, and if I'm remembering right never by the heroes, is weird since the games are so focused on Nathan's experiences.
Elena actually mentions to drake on numerous occasions how he finds himself fighting for his life against psychopathic war lords, mercenaries, pirates and the like. The reason they don't don't go into detail about it is because it's supposed to be assumed that these are bad people that would kill drake anyway given the chance. I mean c'mon do you really have to think about how a bad guy (with a gun) would act if you were in the way of their goal? They'd shoot you on site.

kaskade

Damn at those scores. I haven't really been following the game too much. I know desert, something about a boat. But Uncharted 2 was my favorite game of 08 next to Arkham Asylum. Looks like it's going to be Arkham City vs Uncharted 3 this year.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
24FrameDaVinci said:
You'd be surprised at what lengths people will go to in order to trash a widely praised game.

So you must have something against Sam Fisher, Master Chief, Solid Snake, Lara Croft, Mario and pretty much every other lead game character in existence, correct?
I was being sarcastic

Holy crap this is still going? It was like 40 pages of people going, "TERRIBLE REVIEW! GAHH" and then 60 pages of people going, "What idiots crying over a review!". It's over now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom