• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pranay

Would love if someone make some cool uncharted 3 avatars

On a side note update of scores -

IGN - 10/10
OPM UK - 10/10
Eurogamer.cz - 10/10
Eurogamer.it (Italy) - 10/10
TheSixthAxis - 10/10
PS Lifestyle - 10/10
Level Magazine - 10/10
GameReactor (Sweden) - 10/10
GameReactor (Finland) - 10/10
IncGamers - 10/10
GameBlog.fr - 10/10
Giant Bomb - 5/5
GamePro - 5/5
Loading - 10/10
Gamefreaks - 10/10
ITavisen.no - 6/6
FZ - 5/5
PSNation: A
Destructoid - 10
Guardian - 5/5

Cheat Code Central - 4.9/5
NowGamer - 9.7/10
Vandal (Spain) - 9.6/10
Video Games Zone Germany - 9.3/10.
PS Focus - 9.8
GamingXP - 95
GameTrailers 9.5/10
GameInformer - 9.5/10 .
InsideDailyGaming - 9.5
Play.de - 9.5/10
IGN Germany - 9.5/10
Everyeye.it - 9.5/10
CVG - 9.5/10
1up - A
PSLife.de - 9.5/10
Machinima 95
9lives (9.3)
XGN - 9.4
4Gamers - 9.4
Paste Magazine - 9.1
gamepro [germany] - 94
SpazioGames review 93

Jeuxvideo - 9/10
Metro - 9/10
Videogamer - 9/10
NZ Gamer - 9/10
Joystiq - 4.5/5
The Telegraph - 4.5/5
Edge - 9/10
Eurogamer.pt 9/10
GamesRadar - 9/10
GameReactor (Norway) - 9/10
***** - 8.9/10
Pressfire (Norwegian) - 5/6
Gamer (Norwegian) - 9/10
G4TV/Xplay - 4/5
Eurogamer - 8/10
GamersGlobe - 8/10
GameReactor DK - 8/10
GameReactor (Germany) - 8/10
gameskult - 8/10

Vice

EloquentM said:
That's the thing though: that scene shows that drake does care who he does and doesn't kill. That one cut-scene encapsulates the emotion you seem to be looking for as justification to drakes killing.

Killing isn't easy though, even when justified, it should have some sort of emotional impact on a person. I just find it a shortcoming in Uncharted storytelling since it tries so hard to make you think of the characters as realistic(ish) people, especially Nathan.

Pulp action game with bad guys who are only there to kill you or be killed.... What's the problem?

Did you complain with Indy or countless other adventure films?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Pulp action game with bad guys who are only there to kill you or be killed.... What's the problem?

Did you complain with Indy or countless other adventure films?
Stuburns did lol

Patapwn

Princess Skittles said:
In essence, it's just another high production value dudebro shooter with a generic white guy with a "totally not planned" five o'clock shadow spitting quips that would be embarrassing even in a Michael Bay movie. What of interest does it offer to a female gamer that likes RPGs and quirky Japanese games?
You're trying far too hard to pin uncharted as generic when in reality it's the complete opposite. In a world where brown, bald, and marine is the standard, uncharted is nothing alike. And I wonder, is there such a thing as a 'non-dudebro' shooter to you? If so what is it and why? Do you perceive every game with a gun as identical? Because that's the only way your statement makes any sense. And please, if there's any quibs that Michael Bay 'writing' would put to shame, please feel free to provide some actual evidence for you blanket statements.

Princess Skittles said:
What of interest does it offer to a female gamer that likes RPGs and quirky Japanese games?

Why don't you ask Kagari

EloquentM said:
Drake being a mass murderer creates a disconnect between the player and the character. I'm not sure why though since all of drakes enemies seem to be pirates and mercenaries who would kill him otherwise.

I'm not really aiming this post at you, just in general.

This disconnect has been, and forever will be, bullshit. This is in every game. I'm positive that people don't play GTA/Ninja Gaiden/Gears/Half-life, etc and go "Man, Niko/Ryu/Marcus/Gordon kills so many pedestrians/ninjas/aliens/combine that they are a mass murderer!"

Or has watched Indy 3 and thought that scene where he kills 3 guys with one bullet was horrific and not hilarious. Or the scene in Raiders where he just shoots the guy with the sword instead of fighting him (yes, I know that wasn't planned in the script and Ford was tired that day, stop there).

Or hey, what about Bond? The best Bond game (EON) has you killing hundreds of faceless mooks, complete with one liners, Bond Moments, etc.

If someone is shooting at you, you can and will shoot back. The end.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
StuBurns said:
I did like the Indy films actually.

EDIT: That kind of implied I don't like Uncharted, that's not the case, I do.
I was referring to the bond movies wouldn't that constitute pulp action/adventure?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Boombloxer said:

This disconnect has been, and forever will be, bullshit. This is in every game. I'm positive that people don't play GTA/Ninja Gaiden/Gears/Half-life, etc and go "Man, Niko/Ryu/Marcus/Gordon kills so many pedestrians/ninjas/aliens/combine that they are a mass murderer!"

Or has watched Indy 3 and thought that scene where he kills 3 guys with one bullet was horrific and not hilarious. Or the scene in Raiders where he just shoots the guy with the sword instead of fighting him (yes, I know that wasn't planned in the script and Ford was tired that day, stop there).

Or hey, what about Bond? The best Bond game (EON) has you killing hundreds of faceless mooks, complete with one liners, Bond Moments, etc.

I should really edit that post. I know you weren't talking to me directly but I was being sarcastic.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Boombloxer said:

I agree. This is most ill thought out argument that people just post to make themselves seem smart because Yatzee said it. It's a baseless criticism that only comes up when people are trying to find something to knock Uncharted for when they can't find a valid criticism (of which there are plenty). I'm fine with people making well reasoned arguments against a series I like, I actually find it interesting, but the only people that can really make that argument are people that have never played a video game before. You can criticize Uncharted for having too much shooting, that's completely valid and I can see how people would think that, but saying Drake is a mass murderer because there is shooting in a third person shooter is just inane. Sorry for the rant, this is just one of my biggest pet peeve complaints about a game ever.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Boombloxer said:

Actually a number of critics brought up the disconnect between Niko's "I want to start a new life, different from the one I escaped" versus his willingness to do anything for money without reservation. It's not just optional pedestrian murdering, it's the main storyline that requires Nico to have a split personality.

This had zero effect on my enjoyment of the game, but I can believe it genuinely bothered some people.

The difference between Uncharted and GTA, as I see it, is that GTA was actually trying to tell a serious story, a tragedy even, while Uncharted is steeped in the tropes of the pulp action-hero genre.

StuBurns

Banned
EloquentM said:
I was referring to the bond movies wouldn't that constitute pulp action?
Yeah they are, I was just saying with Indy specifically.

Actually it has very little to do with if I like the film or not. I like lots of things that feature protagonists who are scum bags.

iNvidious01 said:
first game i'll try in 3d, be good to hear thoughts

The 3D stuff they showed at the AMC theater event was pretty awesome. The
firey chateau
looked especially cool, with the
fire and smoke all in 3D.

Good stuff. Made me want a 3DTV.

StuBurns said:
That's fine if that's your opinion, but it is not mine, at all. Unlike Freeman, Drake is an actual character, and one that shows no sign of mental distress as a result of the masses he slaughters.

If you take Solid Snake who was mentioned earlier, it is your decision to kill people, and if you do so enough, you see the impact it has on him, he throws up, he has auditory hallucinations, he is affected by his actions, as a normal person should be, he's also open about being a killer, and doesn't constantly crack jokes.

Eh? That doesn't happen to Snake at all, and he isn't a "normal person", he is a highly trained soldier. They just give the player the option to kill or not (with better rewards if you choose the path of stealth). He killed his own brother without flinching.

And even Freeman, he doesn't mind killing other humans, even if they are slaving or whatever. They don't demonstrate the horror of realizing they are most likely going to die. As Freeman doesn't demonstrate any type of stress other than surviving.

Is great that the gaming press has rated the game this well. However the opinion/impressions on gaf have more value to me, not that I need it here though. These guys made uncharted 1 and 2, I've played them both and I have enjoy them greatly (UC2 more than UC1), what else could I need to see or read to buy UC3?

thehypocrite said:
Is great that the gaming press has rated the game this well. However the opinion/impressions on gaf have more value to me, not that I need it here though. These guys made uncharted 1 and 2, I've played them both and I have enjoy them greatly (UC2 more than UC1), what else could I need to see or read to buy UC3?

i think this game will be excellent, the first one was a 7 for me, the 2nd a 9. the only thing that looks odd in the IGN interview was giving lastability a "10". Really, after finishing UC1 and 2 each time i had to reason to go back and play it again.....its a fun ride while it lasts but ultimately its a "1 time" game for me.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Actually a number of critics brought up the disconnect between Niko's "I want to start a new life, different from the one I escaped" versus his willingness to do anything for money without reservation. It's not just optional pedestrian murdering, it's the main storyline that requires Nico to have a split personality.

This had zero effect on my enjoyment of the game, but I can believe it genuinely bothered some people.

The difference between Uncharted and GTA, as I see it, is that GTA was actually trying to tell a serious story, a tragedy even, while Uncharted is steeped in the tropes of the pulp action-hero genre.

Sure, for GTA, I always looked at him as someone who just couldn't get out despite everything he tried. For a crime story, that's a common enough arc. If they really wanted to restrict that, they can look at Assassin's Creed, where you can KO people, but not kill them or you get desynched.

But for Uncharted? With homage to pulp heroes and Indy? Pacifism isn't required.

StuBurns

Banned
cutmeamango said:
Eh? That doesn't happen to Snake at all, and he isn't a "normal person", he is a highly trained soldier.
Eh, yes, it does. And good point, despite being a highly trained soldier, it still affects him profoundly.
cutmeamango said:
They just give the player the option to kill or not (with better rewards if you choose the path of stealth). He killed his own brother without flinching.
Brother implies an emotional tie, they're strangers who share DNA, and not even in a brotherly sense.
cutmeamango said:
And even Freeman, he doesn't mind killing other humans, even if they are slaving or whatever. They don't demonstrate the horror of realizing they are most likely going to die. As Freeman doesn't demonstrate any type of stress other than surviving.
Freeman demonstrates nothing, unlike Drake, he isn't a depicted character in the series at all.

Boombloxer said:

I thought games were supposed to be an escape from reality? All these people talking about a disconnect seem to want Drake to be some repentant, therapy addled griefer who struggles with his actions; that's a different game. I love the fact that he's a down to earth, amicable guy who happens to be in phenomenal shape and will pop a cap in your ass if you threaten to harm him. I know a guy like that in real life; an Army Ranger who has seen plenty of mayhem, but is the nicest guy you could ever meet.

Majmun

Pranay_ said:
Would love if someone make some cool uncharted 3 avatars

pY7k2.jpg

Ricky_R

Game will stay on 93%. It will be too difficult to maintain the 94%.

HOWEVER, gamerankings has it at 94.67%, so fuck meta. GR it is.

PairOfFilthySocks said:
Has the OT thread title been decided yet? I vote for 'H8ers gunna h8'

The thread title was decided long ago:

"All developers dream, but not equally"

Or something along those lines. Too good.

Phat Michael said:
i think this game will be excellent, the first one was a 7 for me, the 2nd a 9. the only thing that looks odd in the IGN interview was giving lastability a "10". Really, after finishing UC1 and 2 each time i had to reason to go back and play it again.....its a fun ride while it lasts but ultimately its a "1 time" game for me.

I can see why for some people the experience with the game could be like that. I have played them multiple times trying different things in the singleplayer, mostly in UC2 as you have (more) room for experimentation with the shooting/stealth/melee mechanics. I also enjoyed the multiplayer, mostly the Co-op. If you only play them once for the single player I guess their argument for giving lasting power a 10 might be related to the multiplayer/Co-op modes.

the score is just an arbitrary number to an individual and personal experience while playing the game and it makes total sense for others to have a different opinion about it. Nothing wrong with that.

Just found this post on another site

4416 / 47 = 93.95
Why metacritic round it to 93?

So someone actually went through the trouble of adding all the scores and averaging them and it's 93.95, which Metacritic rounds down to 93.

LOL. UC3 is 0.05 short of 94, bomba/selling my PS3, etc.

Victarion

Neuromancer said:
It's at 94 now

Edit: back down to 93, I think Metacritic is fucking with people on purpose now
Metacritic is going batshit, one minute it's 93 based on 47 reviews, another minute it's 94 based on 46 reviews.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Manticore said:
Metacritic is going batshit, one minute it's 93 based on 47 reviews, another minute it's 94 based on 46 reviews.
They're obviously trolling how pathetic we are overanalyzing averages and summing up reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom