• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwing

Darknessbear said:
Holy crap this is still going? It was like 40 pages of people going, "TERRIBLE REVIEW! GAHH" and then 60 pages of people going, "What idiots crying over a review!". It's over now...

nothing better to do since the game is next week and where is that OT

Ricky_R

I wish the OT has a rule about not mentioning the Eurogamer or the IGN scores as well as the ridiculous "Drake is a mass murderer" BS.

StuBurns

Banned
Ricky_R said:
I wish the OT has a rule about not mentioning the Eurogamer or the IGN scores as well as the ridiculous "Drake is a mass murderer" BS.
By all means, lets ban any conversation point you don't agree with. What are your feelings on the age old cats vs dogs debate? Maybe we can get that shit locked down now.

Red Blaster said:
Why isn't the same argued levied against Gordon Freeman? He murdered hundreds of patriotic marines who were just following orders.
They were ordered to kill innocent civilians in cold blood. They were no better than Nazi death camp prison guards who were 'just following orders.'

StuBurns said:
No, they were trying to kill him.

People Drake shoots are without exception either trying to kill him or would try to kill him if they saw him. Most are psychotic war lords or criminals as well.

The only "innocent" people he's ever shot are museum guards... and he shot them with a tranq gun.

Ricky_R

StuBurns said:
By all means, lets ban any conversation point you don't agree with. What are your feelings on the age old cats vs dogs debate? Maybe we can get that shit locked down now.

Has nothing to do with agreeing or not with it. It has to do with the fact that it turns the thread into shit.

StuBurns said:

There's no real reason for the reviews to be discussed in the OT since there's a thread for them. That's the main reason why review threads were started.

RedRedSuit said:
This exact mindset is partially the reason why game reviews have this annoying "goodwill" system which causes every AAA sequel -- unless it really fucks up -- to get 90%+ scores almost regardless of flaws or changing standards or repetition. From the moment Halo was released, Halos 2, 3, 4, ... have been guaranteed 90%+ scores. From the moment Uncharted 2 shocked everyone, Uncharteds 3, 4, ... have been guaranteed 90%+ scores. Same with Zelda, main Mario games, and so on. Reviews of AAA games have about as much to do with quality as they do with preconceived notions of the particular series.

The video game press is largely drive by hype and reputation. It's annoying as hell.

Completely agree with this. It's extremely annoying that hyped games are basically scored on a 9-10 scale. It also shows that vg journalism is part of the industry - instead of observing from the outside - and follows the industry towards the "big blockbuster" model.

Loudninja

SpazioGames review 93
Uncharted is still an incredible cinematic experience, but its own issues remain the same: limited interactivity, often too linear. Despite this, it's still one of the best adventure titles of the year, one you shouldn't miss. Multiplayer is just an add-on, but a very well crafted one.
http://www.spaziogames.it/recension..._ps3/12322/uncharted-3-linganno-di-drake.aspx

PS Focus 98
Graphics:20/20
Sound:20/20
Gameplay:58/60
http://www.psfocus.nl/4_26369_Uncharted_3__Drake_s_Deception.aspx

Jarmel

Banned
RedRedSuit said:
People Drake shoots are without exception either trying to kill him or would try to kill him if they saw him. Most are psychotic war lords or criminals as well.

The only "innocent" people he's ever shot are museum guards... and he shot them with a tranq gun.

What about that guy he threw off the roof? In almost all cases, that would have resulted in a fatality and would be considered attempted murder.

RedRedSuit said:

Apart from that one he threw off the roof...

I have no issues with his portrayal though, but he is a murderer.

StuBurns

Banned
RedRedSuit said:

And he is without exception putting himself in the situation. It's like GTA, he is a criminal that puts himself in that position, repeatedly. Freeman was at work, trying to get out.

Vice

EloquentM said:
Elena actually mentions to drake on numerous occasions how he finds himself fighting for his life against psychopathic war lords, mercenaries, pirates and the like. The reason they don't don't go into detail about it is because it's supposed to be assumed that these are bad people that would kill drake anyway given the chance. I mean c'mon do you really have to think about how a bad guy (with a gun) would act if you were in the way of their goal? They'd shoot you on site.

Yes they would. However, since the games try to portray the cast as more emotionally complex than the standard video game characters it seems like a cop-out to ignore all of the emotions associated with killing people when the games spends so much time trying to get you to think of Nate as a character with some sort of depth.
Just because you are killing bad people doesn't mean it has no repercussions.

Is there even a game (aside Metal Gear Solid series <3) that the enemy begs you not to shoot him?

Maybe Naughty Dog (and every other developer) should give a thought about it, add wallets with family pictures of vacations and special times and written letters that never got sent. You run to pick up the ammo and bam! you see what was in the wallet of that decent mercenaire you just shot, you realize he is human too, following orders.
All that in a open world fashion, where you can decide to go back to your plane and forget about the treasure.

Pranay

cutmeamango said:
Is there even a game (aside Metal Gear Solid series <3) that the enemy begs you not to shoot him?

Maybe Naughty Dog (and every other developer) should give a thought about it, add wallets with family pictures of vacations and special times and written letters that never got sent. You run to pick up the ammo and bam! you see what was in the wallet of that decent mercenaire you just shot, you realize he is human too, following orders.
All that in a open world fashion, where you can decide to go back to your plane and forget about the treasure.

Ninja gaiden 3 ?

plagiarize said:
Apart from that one he threw off the roof...

Jarmel said:
What about that guy he threw off the roof? In almost all cases, that would have resulted in a fatality and would be considered attempted murder.

I was wondering if someone would bring that up.

I'd say that was nothing more than an oversight on ND's part. The implication, unrealistic though it is in this one small instance, is that he dispatches everyone non-lethally in the museum.

StuBurns said:
And he is without exception putting himself in the situation. It's like GTA, he is a criminal that puts himself in that position, repeatedly. Freeman was at work, trying to get out.

Yes, he's a treasure hunter -- actually more of an explorer, as greed is clearly not his driving force. In the course of exploring, when bad people try to kill him, he will defend himself. And when he's killing evil warlords, he's doing the world a service.

It's a ridiculous complaint. No, he doesn't equal Gordon Freeman... there are all kinds of perfectly reasonable angles which can justify killing bad people. Both are valid, and neither person is some psychopathic murderer.

cutmeamango said:

Heavy Rainnnn

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Vice said:
Yes they would. However, since the games try to portray the cast as more emotionally complex than the standard video game characters it seems like a cop-out to ignore all of the emotions associated with killing people when the games spends so much time trying to get you to think of Nate as a character with some sort of depth.
Just because you are killing bad people doesn't mean it has no repercussions.
The beginning scene of uncharted 2 where drake argues with flynn about killing museum guards should render your argument pointless.

Guys, it's been two years. The guy lived. I'm sure he got married and has a nice family right now and has forgotten all about the experience of being thrown off a roof by that American.

RedRedSuit said:

I'd say that was nothing more than an oversight on ND's part. The implication, unrealistic though it is in this one small instance, is that he dispatches everyone non-lethally in the museum.
Some people I tranqed fell a story or two also. I thought it was funny personally.

Pranay

Crewnh said:
Guys, it's been two years. The guy lived. I'm sure he got married and has a nice family right now and has forgotten all about the experience of being thrown off a roof by that American.

i laughed hard

Corto

About violence in Uncharted, Amy Hennig had a small commentary in a promo video a few days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sy00Dgf-Rs#t=01m41s

I remember Amy on a podcast talking on the subject I'll try to find it to post it here.

StuBurns said:
Do you have Child of Eden? Do you know if it's 30 or 60fps in 3D?

I'm no expert on the matter but it does feel that the FPS takes a hit on 3D has I feel that the aiming and responsiveness of the controls suffer with the 3D mode.

Jarmel

Banned
Pranay_ said:
Ninja gaiden 3 ?

Jesus I had to be reminded of that upcoming catastrophe.

RedRedSuit said:

I was joking. He's no more a murderer than Indy was. It's a beyond stupid meme to the point that I think people are joking even if they seem serious.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
plagiarize said:
Unconscious... From a very high height.

Doesn't stop me liking him though. I still like Lara even though she's a rara girl who goes around killing endangered species.

The guard swims away, or so people say. I haven't looked for it myself. It's not realistic, much like many things that happen in the games, but the guard is portrayed as surviving, not being murdered.

beast786

Meisadragon said:
Check out the recent episode of GT invisible Walls. I just checked it now, they were raving about the 3D mode.

Thanks. Because that is want I need to know the most. To play it on 3D or 2D.

I was getting this game regardless. So reviews didnt mean much.

darkwing

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The guard swims away, or so people say. I haven't looked for it myself. It's not realistic, much like many things that happen in the games, but the guard is portrayed as surviving, not being murdered.

yup he swims away

Vice

EloquentM said:
The beginning scene of uncharted 2 where drake argues with flynn about killing museum guards should render your argument pointless.

It doesn't. As I said, just because you're killing a bad person doesn't mean it has no repercussions emotionally, especially when it's done on such a regular basis. As I said before I don't mind all the killing it's odd to ignore that aspect of it.

plagiarize said:
Unconscious... From a very high height.

Doesn't stop me liking him though. I still like Lara even though she's a rara girl who goes around killing endangered species.

No, he swam away if you paid attention. It's very unrealistic, but Drake didn't kill anyone during the museum heist.

Crewnh said:

Hahaha. It's probably a great story he tells people to show off how awesome he is. "I was once thrown off a roof into the sea and I swam away with just a bruise, what have you done with your life!?"

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Vice said:
It doesn't. As I said, just because you're killing a bad person doesn't mean it has no repercussions emotionally, especially when it's done on such a regular basis. As I said before I don't mind all the killing it's odd to ignore that aspect of it.
That's the thing though: that scene shows that drake does care who he does and doesn't kill. That one cut-scene encapsulates the emotion you seem to be looking for as justification to drakes killing.

Ricky_R

Vice said:

Why is it odd?? I don't think about that at all, never. In fact, the first time I read about Drake being a sociopath/mass murderer was here at GAF.

The day shit like that starts to get into my mind when I'm trying to enjoy a video game is the day that I need to reconsider gaming.

StuBurns

Banned
Corto said:
I'm no expert on the matter but it does feel that the FPS takes a hit on 3D has I feel that the aiming and responsiveness of the controls suffer with the 3D mode.
Thanks, makes sense.
RedRedSuit said:
Yes, he's a treasure hunter -- actually more of an explorer, as greed is clearly not his driving force. In the course of exploring, when bad people try to kill him, he will defend himself. And when he's killing evil warlords, he's doing the world a service.

It's a ridiculous complaint. No, he doesn't equal Gordon Freeman... there are all kinds of perfectly reasonable angles which can justify killing bad people. Both are valid, and neither person is some psychopathic murderer.
That's fine if that's your opinion, but it is not mine, at all. Unlike Freeman, Drake is an actual character, and one that shows no sign of mental distress as a result of the masses he slaughters.

If you take Solid Snake who was mentioned earlier, it is your decision to kill people, and if you do so enough, you see the impact it has on him, he throws up, he has auditory hallucinations, he is affected by his actions, as a normal person should be, he's also open about being a killer, and doesn't constantly crack jokes.

It's the same issue I have with the Bond films really, those awful puns after he kills people throws me out of the experience, it's awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom