• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pranay

Game Analyst said:
Tom Bramwell from Eurogamer gave U2 a 10 out of 10. I would be very interested in knowing what Simon gave U2. That would help put things into perspective

Did Simon even like U1 and U2? Knowing these things would shed some light on where their 8 out of 10 stands for U3.

I think their is a link wher simon hated uc2

Ricky_R

Marius_ said:
Back at 94 with 48 reviews

fjq150.jpg

hahaha fuck me.

That gif cracks me up. Or is it the 94 that's always with it? Only God knows.

My wife is sitting on the sofa across from me and keeps giving me the stank eye and asking me "what's so funny??" because I am literally bursting out laughing like a madman every 5 minutes.

I swear to god, this thread is amazing.

Pranay_ said:
Where is the OT :(

anyways
Hall of Fame stats wise :p

Pranay_ 185
Loudninja 121
darkwing 102
EloquentM 77
nib95 69
LeonSKennedy90 65
Dragon 60
plagiarize 60
Meisadragon 59
Second 53
Thought I'd be higher. Huh.

spekkeh

Banned
Boombloxer said:
I'm not really aiming this post at you, just in general.

This disconnect has been, and forever will be, bullshit. This is in every game. I'm positive that people don't play GTA/Ninja Gaiden/Gears/Half-life, etc and go "Man, Niko/Ryu/Marcus/Gordon kills so many pedestrians/ninjas/aliens/combine that they are a mass murderer!"
You on crack, lots of people criticized GTA for exactly that, and nobody would think Ryu and Marcus weren't mass murderers, but they were both fighting a war with aliens/demons.

Mr_Zombie

Boombloxer said:
This disconnect has been, and forever will be, bullshit. This is in every game.

Actually, in Tomb Raider: Anniversary Lara kills only one person -Larson - and she does that because he leaves her with no other option. And then she feels guilty and does the Lady Macbeth thing: sees blood on her hands (there's no blood there) and tries to get rid of the imaginary blood. It's also part of the story (later Natla tries to use this incident as an argument that Lara is no different than her). So no, this disconnection isn't in every game.

Of course during the game she also kills tons of animals, involving fucking T-Rex, but that's another story ;)

Corto

flabberghastly said:
Where exactly is there cognitive dissonance in demanding more from a medium than sheer fun? Seriously, don't just throw a term around because someone else used it if you don't have a greater purpose than a non-sensical comparison.

I don't disagree with your claim that there is "space in the medium [for] the full spectrum of entertainment," though I'd note that entertainment probably can't be summed up by a spectrum model in the first place, especially one so narrow as the one you provided. What I'm critical of, however, is the way in which this industry and its reviewers are skewed towards certain forms of entertainment, while others are left emaciated or simply unexplored. Why is it that the cinematic experiences (to use merely a pertinent example) emulated by video games like Uncharted are those of mainstream, blockbuster action films? Why (to take it back to Parkin's comparison) settle for The Temple of Doom, when we could demand The Temple of Doom and The Seventh Seal? It needn't be an either/or issue, and I never said it should be. I simply refuse to be complacent about what this medium and this industry can do.

The cognitive dissonance that I identified in your post is that an industry dedicated to entertainment shouldn't deride or diminish escapist fun in the form of games like Uncharted. It's an absolute contradiction.

Cognitive dissonance is a discomfort caused by holding conflicting ideas simultaneously. The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance.

So your motivational drive to reduce that blatant conflict is that you wished that the aim of this medium/industry was more than the pursuit of that simple escapist fun. It already is. You just need to look further. Just like in any entertainment industry/medium.

Vice

I have an honest question. Aren't most review saying it's only as good as Uncharted 2? Shouldn't the scores it getting be less than U2s since after 2 years the game should have some significant improvements the way U2 had over U1? So a 93 or 94 on metacritic would be just about right or even a little too generous.

Pranay

Metalmurphy said:
Is 94 good or bad? I can't tell anymore.

Honestly speaking 94 is a really great score imo and it shows that the game is great and has lived up to its hype.

Many of the uncharted 2 scores were impact scores as well cause expectations were less but with uncharted 3, it had a lot of hype and expectations and even though its not a upgradation like uc2 was to uc1 but its an awesome game on its own

Penguin

plagiarize said:
there must be something wrong with me. Jaffe and I almost never agree. I'll say it again the eurogamer review convinced me to pick up the game (so long as naughty dog didn't fuck up the 3d which I doubt).

Yeah I'm in argument with him on the 3rd point, where game play experience does sell and trump the more cinematic experiences.

And really the type of game I prefer

Bigfoot

spekkeh said:
You on crack, lots of people criticized GTA for exactly that, and nobody would think Ryu and Marcus weren't mass murderers, but they were both fighting a war with aliens/demons.
The disconnect in Uncharted, GTA, and to an extent RDR has to do with how the characters are presented in the cut-sceens versus what they are doing during gameplay. In all the other games mentioned, the isn't a huge disconect because the characters are either presented as warriors or soldiers, or there isn't much to the characters at all.

Vice said:
I have an honest question. Aren't most review saying it's only as good as Uncharted 2? Shouldn't the scores it getting be less than U2s since after 2 years the game should have some significant improvements the way U2 had over U1? So a 93 or 94 on metacritic would be just about right or even a little too generous.

Most are saying that it's better than U2.

Pranay

Vice said:

They are saying its better then uc2 but the imrovements from uc1 to uc2 is more then uc2 to uc3

Ricky_R

Porthos said:
The disconnect in Uncharted, GTA, and to an extent RDR has to do with how the characters are presented in the cut-sceens versus what they are doing during gameplay. In all the other games mentioned, the isn't a huge disconect because the characters are either presented as warriors or soldiers, or there isn't much to the characters at all.

My question is how can people actually think about that shit when they're playing a completely unrealistic video game? How does something like that even gets into the mind of gamers.

I could "MAYBE" understand it with something like the "No Russian" level on MW2 and that still did absolutely nothing to me.

Eurogamer, G4, and IGN reviews are all pretty terrible in different ways. In fact, it's one reason why I think game reviews have got to drastically change next generation. No one's opinion holds any weight and I don't take any review seriously.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Penguin said:
Not sure if posted, but David Jaffe's thoughts on the Eurogamer review

http://criminalcrackdown.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-take-on-eurogamers-controversial.html
Jaffe annoys me sometimes, but damn is this good stuff (of course except for him indicating that nothing in Uncharted 3 is "bash worthy," but whatever).

This is SO key to this thread:

*Amazing this review is the one being called 'controversial'. To me, the 10/10 review that either mention the flaws of the game and still give a perfect score OR the review that doesn't mention the flaws at all (an even worse crime, assuming the reviewer thought there WERE flaws) is the true controversial review. Gamers that don't see this need to wake up to the PR machine cause the Matrix has you.

Chaplain

ThisWreckage said:
Eurogamer, G4, and IGN reviews are all pretty terrible in different ways. In fact, it's one reason why I think game reviews have got to drastically change next generation. No one's opinion holds any weight and I don't take any review seriously.

I do not agree. I think Edge is very accurate on the quality of a game. Their 9 of U3 means more to me than any other review. They have been spot-on rating games since their first issue in the early 90's.

Vice

Ricky_R said:
My question is how can people actually think about that shit when they're playing a completely unrealistic video game? How does something like that even gets into the mind of gamers.

I could "MAYBE" understand it with something like the "No Russian" level on MW2 and that still did absolutely nothing to me.

It isn't hard to think of those things. I've always wondered what characters would be thinking while I was playing games. I liked to make up stories for stuff like Street Fighter and side-scrolling shooters when I was kids since I never had the instruction manuals.

I mean lots of books and movies are completely unrealistic but they still deal with complex emotions. The world can be fantastical while the characters are slightly grounded.

commedieu

Banned
It would be easy to give the guy credit for his 8.0 score, based on the content of the review.

However his deadspace2 review, 9/10, shows that he has the ability to see a games linearity for what it is, and enjoy the experience...

Then theres a brink 8/10, which just boggles my mind totally. I don't believe that he isn't aware of the stigma of "flopping" a game, I don't believe that he truly thinks its an 8 either. Its there for the controversy, and everyone here is falling for it.

Mama Robotnik said:
Hah, my problem is with the fanatics, not the game itself.

If your issue is with fanatics then why aren't you including the people that threw personal attacks at Greg Miller for his review at IGN? Those are much worse than what you did include on that list.

Lothars

ThisWreckage said:
I agree with you that a majority of reviews are terrible but there are some great reviewers around just have to look specifically for them.

I find that Giant Bomb is one of my go to review sites anymore, If I go to look at reviews it will be from them and very few other sites.

OSHAN

plagiarize said:
Unconscious... From a very high height.

Doesn't stop me liking him though. I still like Lara even though she's a rara girl who goes around killing endangered species.

He swims away, though.

Game Analyst said:
I do not agree. I think Edge is very accurate on the quality of a game. Their 9 of U3 means more to me than any other review. They have been spot-on rating games since their first issue in the early 90's.

I didn't didn't say all of the reviews were shitty. Just the three I mentioned.

Fess

Game Analyst said:
Didn't they give DOAXBV an 8? ;)

But yeah, other than a few weird hickups I think they're very accurate, they're usually very difficult to please, which in my opinion is good since I'm the same myself. Their 9/10 makes me forget about that stupid online pass thing. I'm buying it day one. November will kill my economy. Zelda Skyward Sword got 10/10 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom