• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second said:
pY7k2.jpg

Nice..if I could also submit a request...Nathan Drake doing the subway pose with an 8.0..

LowEndTorque said:
Just found this post on another site

So someone actually went through the trouble of adding all the scores and averaging them and it's 93.95, which Metacritic rounds down to 93.

LOL. UC3 is 0.05 short of 94, bomba/selling my PS3, etc.

IIRC different publications are weighted differently (and the weights are not public) in the final average.

perineumlick said:
Never said that people had to love it; it is what it is. Some will like that vision, some won't. And there are so many different genres in gaming, and many games that don't even fit into a set genre, that I really don't understand what has to evolve. Maybe more diverse and creative games could get more success and acclaim than the usual blockbuster retreads, but that's about it.
If it is what it is, then why should a critic be prevented from criticizing the vision? You originally stated that you didn't think a game should be docked for its vision, but why should a critic be constrained to writing critiques of how well a game realized its vision, rather than critiquing the vision in and of itself? That Naughty Dog was able to so fully realize their vision is certainly an achievement worthy of praise, when so many other games are plagued by bugs and various other inadequacies; but that does not mean the vision itself should be beyond judgment. When so many reviewers gamers celebrate what Naughty Dog does with its cinematic presentation, they are doing precisely the same thing as Simon Parkin, except they judge it to be a positive rather than a negative.

Corto said:
Why not? Should the games industry feel ashamed that it is just that, an entertainment industry? Raiders of The Lost Ark can't be considered one of the greatest movies of all time? It seems to me that any kind of escapist fun being diminished for being just that, in a video game or movie form, that is where lies the true cognitive dissonance. So, yes, when in the future someone wants to list the best games of this generation one could point Uncharted as one of those without any reservation. It seems to me that to leave it out because it is superficial, or not intellectual enough, would be just a contrived excuse to make the medium a more "mature" and accepted than it already is. There is space in the medium to the full spectrum of entertainment, from the highly scripted set-piece driven action game, to the more open world free roaming exploration game, to the platformer, the deep role playing game, to the hybridization of all the above. And excellence can be found in every single one of them.
Where exactly is there cognitive dissonance in demanding more from a medium than sheer fun? Seriously, don't just throw a term around because someone else used it if you don't have a greater purpose than a non-sensical comparison.

I don't disagree with your claim that there is "space in the medium [for] the full spectrum of entertainment," though I'd note that entertainment probably can't be summed up by a spectrum model in the first place, especially one so narrow as the one you provided. What I'm critical of, however, is the way in which this industry and its reviewers are skewed towards certain forms of entertainment, while others are left emaciated or simply unexplored. Why is it that the cinematic experiences (to use merely a pertinent example) emulated by video games like Uncharted are those of mainstream, blockbuster action films? Why (to take it back to Parkin's comparison) settle for The Temple of Doom, when we could demand The Temple of Doom and The Seventh Seal? It needn't be an either/or issue, and I never said it should be. I simply refuse to be complacent about what this medium and this industry can do.

Manticore said:
Metacritic is going batshit, one minute it's 93 based on 47 reviews, another minute it's 94 based on 46 reviews.

See the post directly above you. It was at 94.07, but Level7.nu added their 9.0 and it dropped to 93.95, which metacritic rounded down to 93. (I'm following another thread on a different forum and getting this info)

I'm literallly lol'ing right now at the retardedness that this site's existence brings.

question about that list, I saw this

that Eurogamer review was kinda shitty.

I've seen that said countless times about IGN's review, along with personal attacks on the reviewer, where are those?
Darknessbear said:
O shit, destructoid gave it a 10? I thought they hate everything.
It's mostly Mr. Sterling that's "tough".

Pranay

Where is the OT :(

anyways
Hall of Fame stats wise :p

Pranay_ 185
Loudninja 121
darkwing 102
EloquentM 77
nib95 69
LeonSKennedy90 65
Dragon 60
plagiarize 60
Meisadragon 59
Second 53

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
LowEndTorque said:
So someone actually went through the trouble of adding all the scores and averaging them and it's 93.95, which Metacritic rounds down to 93.

LOL. UC3 is 0.05 short of 94, bomba/selling my PS3, etc.

It would take about 20 seconds using Excel. Which is way less time than any of us have spent posting in this unfortunate thread.

darkwing

Pranay_ said:
Where is the OT :(

anyways
Hall of Fame stats wise :p

Pranay_ 185
Loudninja 121
darkwing 102
EloquentM 77
nib95 69
LeonSKennedy90 65
Dragon 60
plagiarize 60
Meisadragon 59
Second 53

how the heck did I come in 3rd

Mama Robotnik said:
Just been catching up. Wow at some of the participants in this thread.

Even in your most intense, eight-out-of-ten induced fanatic delirium over a game none of you have played, I still love you GAF.

EDIT : More from the thread from before and after this post:

EDIT 2 - further comments from the thread:

and everything on this page onwards treating the oft-lambasted IGN as gospel when it produces scores judged as acceptable by those who haven't played the bloody game yet.

EDIT 3 - FINAL ENTRIES IN THE HALL OF FAME:

A final reminder, for history, that at the time of writing NONE OF THE ABOVE HAVE ACTUALLY PLAYED THE GAME.
Hahaha you are amazing

This thread is absolutely genius. From the amazing overreactions to an 8/10 score, to the incredibly self righteous overreactions to the overreactions of the 8/10, to the hilarious gifs (cat 1, baby 0)... It's gold, Jerry, gold!

Pranay

The Fan Fic
Drake slowly unbuttoned Sully's shirt. 'I've been waiting for this ever since we were running around those humid jungles in Panama' he said, removing the shirt while caressing Sully's ass. 'You're as tight as ever, old man'. Sully smiled, and gave Drake a kiss on the cheek.

writted by somone in page 37

Bigfoot

Boombloxer said:
The thread title was decided long ago:

"All developers dream, but not equally"

Or something along those lines. Too good.

That's a horrible OT subtitle. The best subtitles are usually funny and out there, not serious ones like that.

wonderkins said:
Like a fat kid calling an even fatter kid fat. How embarrassing for them and you.
That's strange, I don't feel even remotely embarrassed.

Let me double check.

No, still don't. But feel free to tell me how else I'm feeling about my own posts.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Biggest-Geek-Ever said:
This thread is absolutely genius. From the amazing overreactions to an 8/10 score, to the incredibly self righteous overreactions to the overreactions of the 8/10, to the hilarious gifs (cat 1, baby 0)... It's gold, Jerry, gold!

It should be preserved in amber so that one day in the distant future a theme park can be created where the theme is The Worst Thing.

Mama Robotnik said:
That's strange, I don't feel even remotely embarrassed.

Let me double check.

No, still don't. But feel free to tell me how else I'm feeling about my own posts.

The morbidly obese crack-whores on daytime talk shows also don't feel remotely embarrassed.

So, not a perfect defense.

Porthos said:
That's a horrible OT subtitle. The best subtitles are usually funny and out there, not serious ones like that.

It's not really serious as most people found it to be funny when it was first posted.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Pranay_ said:
The Fan Fic
Drake slowly unbuttoned Sully's shirt. 'I've been waiting for this ever since we were running around those humid jungles in Panama' he said, removing the shirt while caressing Sully's ass. 'You're as tight as ever, old man'. Sully smiled, and gave Drake a kiss on the cheek.

I wrote that just for shits and giggles :lol

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Pranay_ said:
The Fan Fic

you missed the continuation

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32096713&postcount=2314

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The morbidly obese crack-whores on daytime talk shows also don't feel remotely embarrassed.

:lol

Biggest-Geek-Ever said:

Agreed!

I have to say though the self righteousness is imo worse than the knee-jerk reactions to the 8/10.

Mainly cause most of those comments being mocked as ridiculous are really not that bad, and not as bad as what we get daily on gaf anyway.

Rengoku said:
You know what this means right? Folks will call upon your services for every new Review thread from now on. :)

The list would be better without the cherry picking. The worst comments in this thread aren't even on that list.

hey_it's_that_dog said:

So, not a perfect defense.
Touché.

Rengoku said:
You know what this means right? Folks will call upon your services for every new Review thread from now on. :)

If the Zelda review response goes loopy, I'll be there. Will take a lot to beat this though.

KingDizzi

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
If the Zelda review response goes loopy, I'll be there. Will take a lot to beat this though.

Bull to the shit. An 8 for SS is going to make the most entertaining thread on the gaming discussion side of Gaf this year. Zelda and Uncharted fans are absolutely rabid. I come on Gaf for entertainment and this thread has provided, would be a little taster though compared to the SS thread.

Chaplain

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Ah, perhaps you should get in contact with Simon Perkin and tell him that his opinion is factually incorrect, yes? What an embarrassing error on his part to give the great but not great enough score of 8/10 to the mighty Uncharted 3!

Tom Bramwell from Eurogamer gave U2 a 10 out of 10. I would be very interested in knowing what Simon gave or would give U2. That would help put things into the proper perspective.

SmokyDave said:
So what reason is there that Simon Perkin should've enjoyed it more than he did?

Did Simon even like U1 and U2? Knowing these things would shed some light on where their 8 out of 10 stands for U3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom