• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
RZmRh.jpg

No way his eyebrows are that trimmed.

Monarch

Banned
roman2003h said:
Is that good? Scores really don't mean anything without context. :)

the Italian gaming magazine specifically praised the blockbuster title’s beautiful visuals, engrossing plotline and absorbing gameplay mechanics.

So i guess it's good :)

Radec

This is gonna be weird.

UC2 got a shitload of 10s. Then UC3 which claimed to have improved UC2 in every way will be getting 9s.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Greg said:
I think my only issue with the series so far is that the platforming is too easy and there's no risk/rush that comes from it. The 'exploration' parts end up being nothing more than nice set pieces to look at while you jam X and hold the stick in different directions.

I know I'll love the game regardless, but I haven't seen any footage that indicates otherwise for UC3.

I wouldn't say I dislike either of these aspects of the game, but I absolutely agree that the whole "exploration" aspect is way oversold by some people. It's perfunctory at best. For me the game is mostly a third person shooter with incredible environments and artwork, which is a-okay with me.

Radec said:
This is gonna be weird.

UC2 got a shitload of 10s. Then UC3 which claimed to have improved UC2 in every way will be getting 9s.

Don't worry, that just sets the stage for Uncharted 4 to get 10s again when it's better than UC3.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
thuway said:
I just want to know what they are knocking points off for.

You're assuming every game starts as a 10 and then has points knocked off for particular flaws. That's not how reviewers necessarily think about it.

Reviewers are assigning numbers to their experiences. It's not completely arbitrary, but it's not a science, either.

Daft_Cat

thuway said:
I just want to know what they are knocking points off for.

Evolution vs. Revolution.

Probably isn't as big a jump as the second one was compared to the first. So contextually, if Uncharted 2 was a 9.5-10 a couple years ago..and the new one just improves on what's already there..the same hype inflated perfect scores shouldn't be expected. It's not 'new' enough to elicit that kind of reaction. Uncharted 2 was also the Arkham City of 2008. The sequel that delivered on the hidden potential of the underdog original. The rest is just gravy.

By all means, I'm sure it'll still be a better game. It's not like it's going from 10 --> 7.5.

TL;DR? More to do with emotional reaction/impact than gameplay mechanics methinks.

thuway

This is almost stupifying. Three publications that are absolutely strict about grading policy have released less than perfect scores.

I really just want to see the flood come in so I can gauge my hype. One thing is for sure, GTA IV / Halo got 10s from every single site / publication ever, and those games reeked of shit.

Loudninja

thuway said:
This is almost stupifying. Three publications that are absolutely strict about grading policy have released less than perfect scores.

I really just want to see the flood come in so I can gauge my hype. One thing is for sure, GTA IV / Halo got 10s from every single site / publication ever, and those games reeked of shit.
Hehe calm down many, no way everyone is going to give the game a 10.With different reviewers and different taste its not possible.

But the most important to note is every review is saying its better than UC2.I think that is more important than a score.

Majmun

(obscure)Reviews so far:

Playmania - 9.9
Power Unlimited - 9.4
OPM Spain - 9.8
PS Mania - 4.5/5

So yeah, can't wait until bigger outlets review this game..

Loudninja

Second said:
(obscure)Reviews so far:

Playmania - 9.9
Power Unlimited - 9.4
OPM Spain - 9.8
PS Mania - 4.5/5

Ummmm 3 of them start with a P something is not right here >_>

JVIDICAN

I see the required review score for a game to be considered "good/AAA/Not total shit" has increased again. What is it at now? >9.5? :p

Reviews are fine. Hell, I'd still be buying day one it if it got consistent 7.5s. Opinions and stuffs man.

Second said:
(obscure)Reviews so far:

Playmania - 9.9
Power Unlimited - 9.4
OPM Spain - 9.8
PS Mania - 4.5/5

This averages to a Metacritic score of 95, for anyone looking to get irrationally worked up about something besides each individual score.

That's below Uncharted 2 and Arkham City, both of which have 96!!!

Daft_Cat

Sometimes I feel like video game critics really only operate between the scores of 8 and 10. So much so that people feel like a 9.0 means terribad disappointment.

chri5t

There's going to be one rogue outlet that gives it an 8.5/10 and everybody will absolutely freak out.

It will happen.

Majmun

badcrumble said:
This averages to a Metacritic score of 95, for anyone looking to get irrationally worked up about something besides each individual score.

That's below Uncharted 2 and Arkham City, both of which have 96!!!

Preorder re-cancelled?

I usually don't care for reviews. The only review meltdown I had was when EDGE gave FFX a 6. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Secret_Riddle said:
Sometimes I feel like video game critics really only operate between the scores of 8 and 10. So much so that people feel like a 9.0 means terribad disappointment.

But of course. No Uncharted deserves a 10.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I just ran the numbers real quick and Uncharted 2's metascore is not statistically different from GTAIV's score, which is the HIGHEST SCORE OF ALL TIME.

Hope that puts some (crazy) people's minds at ease.

Edit: hey wait a minute, Ocarina of Time has a 99. Why did the sorting function put GTAIV at the top. Fuckers.

Grisby

thuway said:

In your opinion sure. I liked GTA4 well enough and Halo 3 was amazing. Well deserved score.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gaming magazines need to switch to the "two thumbs up" system

How can this game possibly be better than Uncharted 2? That game was just insane. Insane in the god damn membrane. It could be equal to Uncharted 2 but not better.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Angry Grimace said:
Gaming magazines need to switch to the "two thumbs up" system

I personally like the old OXM system that was something along the lines of "Skip it," "borrow it." "rent it," "buy it."

Grisby said:
In your opinion sure. I liked GTA4 well enough and Halo 3 was amazing. Well deserved score.

If GTAIV was a woman, it would be 10/10 in terms of hotness and attraction, but a 8/10 in the sack and personality-wise.

Some might think that makes her a 10, but actually it makes her an 8.

Raziel

Shameless said:
I have played and completed both games.

I think Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space 2 are good examples of games which have better shooting mechanics. Dead Space has excellent guns, with alternate fire modes, RE4 has excellent boss fights and set piece moments (which are not just scripted 'run away from this car'/'look at dem graphics'). As I got further through Uncharted 2 I began to dread having to do another identical shooting section, killing the same boring bullet sponge enemy types, with no interesting ways to kill them and no interesting guns to do it with. Just the way I feel bro. Towards the end of both games, unloading 4 clips into the zombies/shangri-la blue dudes was unbearable.
regardless of how you feel, here is the actual fact of the matter:

RE4 is far far far worse than either uncharted game when it comes to slogging through the same damn repetitive hordes of enemies - mindless enemies too. and there is little of anything else to be found in that game to break up the longest shooting gallery game ive ever played.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
raziel said:
regardless of how you feel, here is the actual fact of the matter:

RE4 is far far far worse than either uncharted game when it comes to slogging through the same damn repetitive hordes of enemies - mindless enemies too. and there is little of anything else to be found in that game to break up the longest shooting gallery game ive ever played.

Remind me, which game has more enemy types? Uncharted must have far, far, far more, right?

DaBuddaDa said:
No, a 9/10 means it's really mediocre.

The point of a score is to give context. That is why scores exist. The score is the context. You're thinking about it completely backwards.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic comment or not. :) And I don't think you know the definition of the word "context"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom