• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Your Excellency said:
I think of it this way. If some kid in 2030 wants to play some retro gaming and he looks at the Uncharted series, he'll see that UC2 got higher scores than UC3 and conclude that UC2 is a better game. In reality, the opposite is likely to be true. How can we allow that to happen?

because looking at scores requires interpretation. it isn't an excuse to not think. scores are relative to the time they are released.

catashtrophe said:
Actually its Res 4 which I would say is ok but not that good.

y1L0B.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog said:
So say everyone gives it a 10. What happens when the next game is even better? It gets a 10 again? Then you still have the problem of the score not reflecting the quality differential.

I don't see any solution to this other than to keep in mind that numerical scores are not a perfect system and this is just one of the many reasons that is true.

Then the next game should get a 10 if it good or better .
This whole idea that you need to do something new to get a perfect score is bullshit , to make things worst some games don't seem to have that problem.
Personally i like the grade system more .

Also i think RE4 was okay i can no longer stand games where i can't move and shoot.

_tetsuo_ said:
I'm sure plenty of people in this thread agree with you.
Not really fussed about people agreeing with me, I luv Res 2 and Remake but as a horror fan and long time Res Evil fan I feel Res 4 took steps backwards and I don't like it much.

Anyway to keep this on topic, regardless of reviews I can't wait for uncharted 3 to drop.

:D

_tetsuo_ said:
lol@ Uncharted vs Resident Evil 4 stuff. Uncharted is good, not that good.

Yeah I'm a little weirded out by all this talk. Honestly I never considered the Uncharted games to be even approaching the same league as plenty of other shooters in terms of enemy design, enemy variety, encounter design, gunplay, etc...

To me, the strengths have always been with the quality of the scripting, the setpieces and the variety. Kinda similar to HL2 in that regard. Decent(but not mind-blowing) base gameplay with great presentation and pacing.

Raziel

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The pacing of RE4 does not fall into my definition of "arcade shooter." It also has more exploration, more items, upgrade trees, and an economy. Uncharted has none of that, which makes it the more arcadey game IMO.

And I should clarify that I'm NOT saying your opinion is any less valid or that you can't possibly understand the games well enough to recognize repetition just because you don't love shooters. I don't love shooters either. I was specifically questioning the idea that liking shooters less would lead to more accurate evaluations of how they differ. Typically it's someone who loves a genre who is most familiar with it and therefore most able to make subtle distinctions between instances of the genre.
uncharted is broken up more deliberately between, action, puzzles, platforming, and pretty decent cutscene/story bits so it felt like more of a full fledged action-adventure (well aware that it is a "shooter" though, when you get down to it). RE4 by comparison felt like just all shooting all the time regardless of all its other facets of which are next to negligible IMO. it just seemed to me that every set-piece in RE4 was just an onslaught of ganados variants again and again.

having items, upgrade trees, economy etc doesnt really make the actual gameplay not arcadey to me. action games like DMC and bayonetta have all of that too, but i dont think many would dispute by virtue of those features alone that those arent very arcadey feeling as well, for example.

and i never said my not being a fan of shooters meant i could more accurately evaluate how they differ. i said with tongue firmly in cheek that my not being a fan of shooters made me uniquely qualified to discuss the games in negative terms or as Shameless (person i originally quoted and responded to) put it: which was more guilty of "identical shooting sections with boring enemies with no interesting ways to kill them." also again, keep in mind that i did "like" both games.

also i should probably point out for onlookers itt that when i say "uncharted" in my posts, im referring to the series, or largely referring to uncharted 2 (which, undoubtedly along with 3, is the series to me). uncharted 1 was terribly repetitive. if i was forced to re-play either uncharted 2 or RE4, i would choose uncharted 2 without thinking. if i was forced to re-play uncharted 1 or RE4, i would do everything i could to talk myself out of either, and then would probably end up picking uncharted 1 because it would be over quicker.

rosaceadude2112 said:
Yeah I'm a little weirded out by all this talk. Honestly I never considered the Uncharted games to be even approaching the same league as plenty of other shooters in terms of enemy design, enemy variety, encounter design, gunplay, etc...

Uncharted has some great gunplay and encounter design imo. Enemy variety is where the game stumbles.

Shameless

Banned
rosaceadude2112 said:

To me, the strengths have always been with the quality of the scripting, the setpieces and the variety. Kinda similar to HL2 in that regard. Decent(but not mind-blowing) base gameplay with great presentation and pacing.

Comparing it to Half Life is even more sacrilegious. Uncharted won't become a classic series and people won't be playing the games in a few years time, I can guarantee that. They rely far too heavily on graphics.

Alex

I wish the elements other than shooting actually meant something in Uncharted. As in no auto-platforming, more and better puzzles, a few more side elements, etc. I like Uncharted for what it is, but considering their past games I just feel like they could make something a little more substantial than what we're actually getting.

The Xtortionist said:
Uncharted has some great gunplay and encounter design imo. Enemy variety is where the game stumbles.

It's the lack of enemy variety that kills the encounter design, I think. There's no prioritization of targets, which can be an important factor in how exciting a firefight can be.

Co-op largely fixes this by mixing the minigun guys with the regular grunts more often as well as adding those dudes that can put you in a chokehold. It'd be cool if U3's campaign took some notes from that.

Alex

Co-op was so, so good in Uncharted 2, it's a shame the actual encounter design in single player isn't a little more like it, I wouldn't give a damn about other game elements since in that regard it was it's own little puzzle game for survival.

Hopefully the quality in 3's co-op is consistent with 2 and there's more of it.

Shameless said:
Comparing it to Half Life is even more sacrilegious. Uncharted won't become a classic series and people won't be playing the games in a few years time, I can guarantee that. They rely far too heavily on graphics.
It's funny, first you were saying this opinion of it relies too much on graphics was only your opinion, but now apparently everyone feels the same way and won't be playing it :lol. Kepp it coming.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I came into this thread to see if there was a new review and I see Uncharted 2 vs. RE4 comparisons. WTF? Those games are not aiming for the same things and are both at the pinnacle of game design for their generations. Both are unquestionably classics but I would never have even thought to compare them. It's so pointless. They aren't even competing with each other.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Alex said:
Co-op was so, so good in Uncharted 2, it's a shame the actual encounter design in single player isn't a little more like it, I wouldn't give a shit about platforming or puzzles if it was.

Hopefully the quality in 3's co-op is consistent with 2 and there's more of it.
you're saying there was no encounter design in uncharted 2 single player? did you forgo the entire monastery chapter?

Alex

EloquentM said:
you're saying there was no encounter design in uncharted 2 single player? did you forgo the entire monastery chapter?

I beat the game twice, first on on hard and then on crushing, so settle down bud. What I'm saying is that the encounter design in the co-op and how it played out was a lot more compelling than the single player for my tastes. This isn't to say single player didn't have it's moments in that regard, or that it wasn't challenging, it certainly was on crushing, but to me it wasn't as thrilling and I liked the whole brutal, puzzle room type onslaughts and pacing of the co-op to the standard corridor elimination play of most of the campaign.

That type of encounter design from UC2's co-op would make most shooters far more compelling, hell you could make a really great squad game of that nature as well but no one ever wants to move beyond the set pieces and hallways anymore, sigh.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
raziel said:
uncharted is broken up more deliberately between, action, puzzles, platforming, and pretty decent cutscene/story bits so it felt like more of a full fledged action-adventure (well aware that it is a "shooter" though, when you get down to it). RE4 by comparison felt like just all shooting all the time regardless of all its other facets of which are next to negligible IMO. it just seemed to me that every set-piece in RE4 was just an onslaught of ganados variants again and again.

RE4 is not shooting all the time. At all. It, like Uncharted, involves stretches of exploring without fighting, then sections where you fight enemies. RE4 probably has more smaller skirmishes sprinkled throughout than Uncharted games do.

I'm unclear on the exact definition of setpiece. In Uncharted, do the setpieces not involve fighting a bunch of identical guys, just like RE4?

RoboPlato said:
I came into this thread to see if there was a new review and I see Uncharted 2 vs. RE4 comparisons. WTF? Those games are not aiming for the same things and are both at the pinnacle of game design for their generations. Both are unquestionably classics but I would never have even thought to compare them. It's so pointless. They aren't even competing with each other.

I agree and I'm sorry.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
hey_it's_that_dog said:
RE4 is not shooting all the time. At all. It, like Uncharted, involves stretches of exploring without fighting, then sections where you fight enemies. RE4 probably has more smaller skirmishes sprinkled throughout than Uncharted games do.

I'm unclear on the exact definition of setpiece. In Uncharted, do the setpieces not involve fighting a bunch of identical guys, just like RE4?

something falls apart, is exploded, or flies off a cliff = setpiece

Shameless

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:

Setpieces to me are things like boss fights and big scripted events. Like the opening village scene in RE4 before the bell tolls.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
raziel said:

having items, upgrade trees, economy etc doesnt really make the actual gameplay not arcadey to me. action games like DMC and bayonetta have all of that too, but i dont think many would dispute by virtue of those features alone that those arent very arcadey feeling as well, for example.

and i never said my not being a fan of shooters meant i could more accurately evaluate how they differ. i said with tongue firmly in cheek that my not being a fan of shooters made me uniquely qualified to discuss the games in negative terms or as Shameless (person i originally quoted and responded to) put it: which was more guilty of "identical shooting sections with boring enemies with no interesting ways to kill them." also again, keep in mind that i did "like" both games.

also i should probably point out for onlookers itt that when i say "uncharted" in my posts, im referring to the series, or largely referring to uncharted 2 (which, undoubtedly along with 3, is the series to me). uncharted 1 was terribly repetitive. if i was forced to re-play either uncharted 2 or RE4, i would choose uncharted 2 without thinking. if i was forced to re-play uncharted 1 or RE4, i would do everything i could to talk myself out of either, and then would probably end up picking uncharted 1 because it would be over quicker.

There isn't a "set piece" in any Uncharted game as good as the very first one in Resident Evil 4.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Alex said:
I beat the game twice, first on on hard and then on crushing, so settle down bud. What I'm saying is that the encounter design in the co-op and how it played out was a lot more compelling than the single player for my tastes. This isn't to say single player didn't have it's moments in that regard, or that it wasn't challenging, it certainly was on crushing, but to me it wasn't as thrilling and I liked the whole brutal, puzzle room type onslaughts and pacing of the co-op to the standard corridor elimination play of most of the campaign.

That type of encounter design from UC2's co-op would make most shooters far more compelling, hell you could make a really great squad game of that nature as well but no one ever wants to move beyond the set pieces and hallways anymore, sigh.
I'm pretty calm seeing as I simply asked you a question. thanks for your answer.

Shameless said:
Setpieces to me are things like boss fights and big scripted events. Like the opening village scene in RE4 before the bell tolls.

But you're in control during that whole fight.

I'd classify a setpiece as a unique encounter - one with a cool gimmick or hook. RE4's giant turret room, water hall, cage match, bulldozer sequence, tower ascension, etc...

EloquentM

aka Mannny
_tetsuo_ said:
There isn't a "set piece" in any Uncharted game as good as the very first one in Resident Evil 4.
Lol, okay buddy.

can we get this thread back on topic instead of turning it into a flaming piece of garbage.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Shameless said:

That used to just be called a big fight.

When I think of setpiece of think of scripted environmental destruction, or UC2's train, UC3's plane, UC1's jeep turret sequence, etc.

So I guess I agree with your definition but not your example.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
EloquentM said:
Lol, okay buddy.

can we get this thread back on topic instead of turning it into a flaming piece of garbage.

Indeed. We must resume to talking about how Uncharted is better than everything.

beelzebozo said:
a flaming piece of garbage flying off a cliff?

Drake barely holding onto it with one hand. We in there.

Cruzader

Banned
Too bad any of RE4's "set pieces" are ruined thanx to its horrid tank controls. The "cage fight" in this day and age, my lord, no. Cool concept held back by crap controls. They are fine for how the game is but some parts of the game are terrible due to them.

Now when you compare Uncharted's real set pieces, they work and have a proper "flow". No fighting the controls to get through the scene.

PS: Whoever brought RE4 vs Uncharted comparisons is a dummy since they are 2 different games going for 2 different experiences. Uncharted games always brings out the mentals.

Shameless

Banned
Cruzader said:
Too bad any of RE4's "set pieces" are ruined thanx to its horrid tank controls. The "cage fight" in this day and age, my lord, no. Cool concept held back by crap controls. They are fine for how the game is but some parts of the game are terrible due to them.

Now when you compare Uncharted's real set pieces, they work and have a proper "flow". No fighting the controls to get through the scene.

PS: Whoever brought RE4 vs Uncharted comparisons is a dummy since they are 2 different games going for 2 different experiences. Uncharted games always brings out the mentals.

God forbid games have different control schemes and don't all use the same one. A bit of variety never hurt anyone. The tank controls are part of the game, it just wouldn't be the same without them.

Put me in the "Uncharted 2 is great, but not one of my favourite games ever" group.

Polished, fun, beautiful but I just didn't find it as memorable as some people do. Opinions and all that.

what does any of this have to do with Uncharted 3? Like seriously guys, its funny how people always come into very specific threads and start shitting up a thread with unrelated topics i.e RE4 or how they dont understand why the game is praised. If you dont care for the game why are you in the thread?

Raziel

hey_it's_that_dog said:

last question, yes - except nowhere near as many enemies and nowhere near as frequently occurring as the set-pieces in RE4.

first bit - again, uncharted 2 is much more deliberately broken up between action,puzzles,platforming and story. combat/shooting dominates much more in RE4 over anything else than it does in uncharted 2.

unclear on the whole actually of what you mean by RE4 having more smaller skirmishes than UC2 because that.. just isnt true...at all.

the number of enemies per skirmish or set-piece in RE4 are ridiculously far greater than they are in UC2. i can think of countless consecutive skirmishes in RE4 where the area is flooded with far more enemies that what you will see on average in uncharted 2 - indeed, much of the game design of RE4 is to overwhelm the player with sheer numbers and from multiple directions. these types of encounters with comparable numbers of enemies are again far fewer and far between in uncharted 2, which yes, does make RE4 feel like a non-stop shooting gallery by comparison.

unless you mean the skirmishes in UC2 feel larger scale by virtue of the environment - sniping dudes from across two massive towers connected by a massive bridge - that is true.

thuway

Shameless said:
God forbid games have different control schemes and don't all use the same one. A bit of variety never hurt anyone. The tank controls are part of the game, it just wouldn't be the same without them.
What the hell is this shit. Stop it now. This is an UNCHARTED 3 review thread. Let it go mang.

deepbrown

No-one will be playing Uncharted in two years? I doubt that. And those playing Half Life are PC gamers who often don't like moving on. I couldn't even get through Half Life 2.

Anyway... you guys are asking for it with these irrelevant discussions.

The Uncharted series will go down as the most impressive and consistent series of this generation.

Cruzader

Banned
Shameless said:
Honestly the controls could be put in the same category as "in SoTc, the slow down (aka atrocious frame rate) adds to the experience" bullcrap. The "cage fight" was such a pain in the ass in that the camera is so close to your back and you constantly need to spin sideways to avoid that blind guy, in a not fun way and broke that segment up for me.

Anyways offtopic but I didnt bring this crap to this thread.

rekameohs

Banned
Why do people constantly try to bitch and moan about the Uncharted series? It's a really well-made and polished series, just like many other games. We don't need stupid "my game>your game lololollolo" arguments going on here.

Kusagari

rekameohs said:
Why do people constantly try to bitch and moan about the Uncharted series? It's a really well-made and polished series, just like many other games. We don't need stupid "my game>your game lololollolo" arguments going on here.

An Uncharted fan is the one who brought up this dumbass RE4 comparison.

rekameohs said:

I think that Uncharted 1 was the only game in the dark ages of the PS3 that couldn't be trolled, and some wounds never close.
LOL

Domcorleone said:
what does any of this have to do with Uncharted 3? Like seriously guys, its funny how people always come into very specific threads and start shitting up a thread with unrelated topics i.e RE4 or how they dont understand why the game is praised. If you dont care for the game why are you in the thread?
They have to let it out somewhere lol.

RooMHM

jett said:
ITT: People annoyed that the Uncharted games aren't garbage
I'm not sure this is the case... really. It IS annoying that every big release gets the hype machine rollin to the max and that everybody says 10/10 and whines at reviews etc... Why are there review listing threads, I'm not sure I understand this.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Can't wait for Uncharted 3. Uncharted 2 was such a great game and I was amazed with the gameplay, graphics and attention to detail throughout.

Don't know how the Uncharted vs Resident Evil 4 argument kicked off? Not wanting to add any more fuel to the fire but I have to say, as a fan of both games, Resident Evil 4 still seems to be in a league of it's own considering the age of the game. I remember recommending the game to a friend who said to me, 'it looks and sounds great but not sure it is my kind of game'. He has now completed it 7 times! I know many others not far off that completion rate and it says a lot about just how great it is.

Either way though, I'm just glad we keep getting games of such a high standard between all 3 consoles. As game players we are spoiled with so many great games each year it is difficult to choose exactly which series to follow if we are struggling for spare time. Either way we all end up winners if we latch on to some of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom