• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
Have you ever thought that maybe this game just isn't for you? I don't care for Fighting games, so I don't play them. And I sure as shit wouldn't review them if I worked for a gaming site.

It would be like me saying "the controls and fighting are done very well, in fact its the best I have ever played, but I wish it was a story driven adventure game. Being stuck on the screen having to beat the player in front of me holds this game back. Why can't I explore the background? This game is too much of a Fighting Game for me"

8/10

Lol, made me laugh out loud.

Majmun

plagiarize said:
If you give Uncharted 3 (which is more of the same) a 10, what do you give Uncharted 4 when it adds a crapload of improvements? eleventy?

Also a 10?

As long as the game is magnificent, it deserves an absurdly high score.

zoukka

nib95 said:
But that's because Japanese Horse Racing game might not be the best horse racing game ever made, or even a great game. U3 is neither of those. It's an amazing game and it's also the best adventure game that exists today. So bit of a weird analogy.

Still surprised this guy game Brink and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 the same score lol. And Dead Space 2 a 9, because somehow that's not linear or gives players more freedom or something...smh.

Weren't you supposed to write him off and block Eurogamer instead of going and reading the guys past texts?

Also your statement, that Uncharted is the best adventure game today is all the proof humanity needs that we can't even close in on objective thinking about entertainment :)

Angry Fork

hey_it's_that_dog said:
If it affected a person's subjective experience with the game, which it would, if only subtly, then it's legitimate grounds for criticism if the reviewer is open about the review being a report of his subjective experience and not pretending it's an objective evaluation of a product.
I have no clue what you're talking about. If a reviewer reviews a game it's based on how it is right then and there, it's incredibly stupid to say it came out too soon after UC2 therefore it has hurt my enjoyment of UC3. I like Sessler btw he's really smart, level headed etc. I don't have a problem with him just saying.

I don't like Naughty Dog logo, the paw is too big.

This has seeped into my enjoyment of Uncharted 3.

2/5

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I am defiently going to lose sleep over this 93 metecritic score, smh Naughty Dog. what is wrong with this industry?

tumblr_lpuh3u9Uo41r0ftodo1_250.gif

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
nib95 said:
But that's because Japanese Horse Racing game might not be the best horse racing game ever made, or even a great game. U3 is neither of those. It's an amazing game and it's also the best adventure game that exists today. So bit of a weird analogy.

Still surprised this guy game Brink and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 the same score lol. And Dead Space 2 a 9, because somehow that's not linear or gives players more freedom or something...smh.
The idea behind the horse racing analogy is that a game shouldn't get a free pass on being critiqued just because of the type of game it is. A game might be the most perfect horse racing game ever, or the best soccer management sim, or an absolutely brilliantly-executed dungeon crawler, but that doesn't mean they all deserve 9+. Each of those genres has inherent limitations that could justify a lower score. Just like Uncharted 3 has the limitation of being insanely scripted and not very interactive.

nib95 said:

well, Dead Space 2 isn't guilty of all of the things he calls out as disliking in Uncharted 3, and for all we know he didn't like that DS2 was linear either.

that's why i hate scores. it makes people look at every other review that person wrote to try and discredit what is just an opinion.

you don't need to do that. as Hey It's That Dog pointed out, not every review is equally relevant to every person. if you like linear games, you can just read that criticism and ignore it. you don't have to dig through their review history to discredit them when it's obvious on the surface that the reviewer feels differently about the series to you.

people are allowed to like a game more or less than the average person. i'm sure everyone of us here could name a game that they like less than everyone else seems to. why we shouldn't expect that to happen naturally in reviews boggles my mind.

i can see from the Eurogamer review that it isn't relevant to my interests... but i'm sure it's his honest opinion.

why does anyone need to go any further than that? what? people aren't allowed to like a game less than the average person now?

Arnie

Great closing paragraph from Eurogamer:

As an expression of all that a video game could be, however, Uncharted 3 is narrow, focused and ultimately shallow. It is a majestic tribute to cinema, a movie game in the literal sense, and your enjoyment will be in precise step with your appreciation of that objective - and whether or not you believe it to be Drake's great deception, or Drake's great delight.

Red

cjtiger300 said:
Have you ever thought that maybe this game just isn't for you? I don't care for Fighting games, so I don't play them. And I sure as shit wouldn't review them if I worked for a gaming site.

It would be like me saying "the controls and fighting are done very well, in fact its the best I have ever played, but I wish it was a story driven adventure game. Being stuck on the screen having to beat the player in front of me holds this game back. Why can't I explore the background? This game is too much of a Fighting Game for me"

8/10
I still enjoy them. It's not like I'm going to sit there moaning about it the whole time. They're still fun, engaging games, with a level of presentation that's far beyond virtually every other release.

Vire

plagiarize said:
well, Dead Space 2 isn't guilty of all of the things he calls out as disliking in Uncharted 3, and for all we know he didn't like that DS2 was linear either.

that's why i hate scores. it makes people look at every other review that person wrote to try and discredit what is just an opinion.

you don't need to do that. as Hey It's That Dog pointed out, not every review is equally relevant to every person. if you like linear games, you can just read that criticism and ignore it. you don't have to dig through their review history to discredit them when it's obvious on the surface that the reviewer feels differently about the series to you.

people are allowed to like a game more or less than the average person. i'm sure everyone of us here could name a game that they like less than everyone else seems to. why we shouldn't expect that to happen naturally in reviews boggles my mind.

i can see from the Eurogamer review that it isn't relevant to my interests... but i'm sure it's his honest opinion.

why does anyone need to go any further than that? what? people aren't allowed to like a game less than the average person now?
Absolutely, it didn't seem like a troll attempt or anything of the sort, just some genuine feelings that were eloquently stated. And he's certainly entitled to that.

Uncharted cry babies need to grow up. Oh noes now it's a 93 instead of a 94 on Metacritic however will my purchase be justified.

zinder

Fuck the score scale is really messed up. How can Uncharted 2 get 96 metacritic and Uncharted 3 92? Makes ZERO sense. It's better in every single way, yet is worse reviewed.

zoukka

zinder said:
Fuck the score scale is really messed up. How can Uncharted 2 get 96 metacritic and Uncharted 3 92? Makes ZERO sense. It's better in every single way, yet is worse reviewed.

People liked U2 more.

Vire said:
Absolutely, it didn't seem like a troll attempt or anything of the sort, just some genuine feelings that were eloquently stated. And he's certainly entitled to that.

Uncharted cry babies need to grow up.
come on now, don't act like this isn't endemic to pretty much every fan base. i'm pretty sure i've said similar things in the Gears of War 3 review thread (i forget which one it was, so it might have been another sequels review thread).

it's nothing to do with any specific fanbase. it's a common thing.

hell, i found myself doing it when the most recent AvP game came out. that's when I decided to just get over it and ignore the final score.

zinder said:

MGS2 has the highest score of any MGS, despite being by far the worst, while MGS3 has the lowest, despite being by far the best. Weird shit, man

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
zinder said:
Dude.

No.

Vire

zinder said:
Wait have you played the game? How do you know it's the best?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Vire said:

Uncharted cry babies need to grow up. Oh noes now it's a 93 instead of a 94 on Metacritic however will my purchase be justified.

What if he had said a mean thing about Batman?

iNvid02

zinder said:

if its keeping you up at night you can print this off if you want

cudU5.jpg

seriously though, reviews dont really matter that much, yeah its fun reading
them and getting on the hype train, but at the end of the day its one guy's
opinion, and it should not factor in on your buying decision much

Momo

Banned
revolverjgw said:
MGS2 has the highest score of any MGS, despite being by far the worst, while MGS3 has the lowest, despite being by far the best. Weird shit, man
lol this is sad shit

Majmun

Timber said:
Well, now I've seen it all.

I don't like the Gears games. But I can't deny their quality.
A lot of people don't like Super Mario Galaxy. But you just can't say it's not quality.

You can't deny the quality of something that has been made very well, even if it's not your thing.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Arnie said:
This has kind of been an ongoing stigma for Uncharted as a whole, but why is UC of all franchises being tagged as "shallow"? Did I miss some profound depth in other action games during this generation of similar magnitude that seemingly get a pass on such odd criticism?

Vire

hey_it's_that_dog said:
What if he had said a mean thing about Batman?
I had no problem with the lower review scores for that game as long as they provided reasoning as to why they didn't like it as much. There are a few of folks who were disappointed by it in the OT but I'm not going to call them out on it. They all gave reasons why, and I respect that.

I will give fair warning though. I wouldn't bother posting the Destructoid review in here - all it'll do is cause a shitstorm. That's the only site I legitimately have a beef with since they actively seek to troll.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Chairman Yang said:
The idea behind the horse racing analogy is that a game shouldn't get a free pass on being critiqued just because of the type of game it is. A game might be the most perfect horse racing game ever, or the best soccer management sim, or an absolutely brilliantly-executed dungeon crawler, but that doesn't mean they all deserve 9+. Each of those genres has inherent limitations that could justify a lower score. Just like Uncharted 3 has the limitation of being insanely scripted and not very interactive.
Then by that logic no game should get a 10?

Arnie said:

They essentially docked the game two points because the reviewer felt like it was too linear and that the game sometimes takes control away from the player. Two things that have been a staple in the franchise so far. I don't believe in docking points for aspects that were prevalent in the past two games. Naughty Dog has made it crystal clear what they're setting out to do and they wear their influences on their sleeves. It seems to me that the reviewer reviewed the game based on what he wanted it to be rather than what it is.

nib95

Banned
I'd be surprised if U3 is actually better than U2, though I've heard a fair few journalists and gamers who have said it is. The quality and immensity of U2 just makes me question the meagre possibility of that.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
zinder said:
It makes sense. Uncharted 3 might not have made the same impact as Uncharted 2 did, and that is understandable, and the same thing happened with LBP2. It was better than the first in every way but scored a little less on Metacritic. I guess standards change after a few years.

Timber said:
hey_it's_that_dog said:
The range of scores for this game is 3 points. 8s, 9s and 10s. An 8 isn't such an outlier that it should raise eyebrows. What should raise eyebrows is how small the range of scores is for any big game. Surely opinions and subjective experiences should vary more than that.
Yeah, this is by far the most troubling thing about game reviews. There's a number of franchises right now that will score 90+ across the board, without fail, more or less by virtue of their production budget and by how "crowd-pleasing" they are. It's a shitty climate and it doesn't help that any dissenting opinion is met with absolute insanity such as we've seen from aheeerm some of the people in this thread. I mean, at this point I'm starting to think of Jim Sterling as a necessary evil. It's that bad.
There's a very specific regularization with regard to game reviews and criticism, which also certainly has an effect via feedback loop of determining future design decisions. Games are focus tested and polished to create the kind of product expected to receive these reviews. A 90+ on Metacritic is most often determined in advance by both sides based on these expectations. It's creatively limiting both for developers and reviewers. If either side deviates, they risk their jobs.

If GAF actually cared so goddamn much for experimentation and progression in game design, and if we were all honestly so concerned with review score inflation and the 8-10 scale, we wouldn't see all this same hyperbolic gnashing in every review thread. We want to hold up a mirror to the industry, but we refuse to hold one up to ourselves.

Dragon

Banned
reilo said:
This has kind of been an ongoing stigma for Uncharted as a whole, but why is UC of all franchises being tagged as "shallow"? Did I miss some profound depth in other action games during this generation of similar magnitude that seemingly get a pass on such odd criticism?

Shoot tons of aliens -> Have Marcus talk really gruffly about getting going -> Move locations slowly -> Shoot tons of aliens.

Gears of War 3 is just as guilty really. They both got docked points when everyone knows going into those games what to expect.

Hey guys, I want Tom Brady to run a 4.2 40. Since he can't he sucks and isn't a hall of famer.

noire said:
Black Friday is the sales day. Black Monday was the stock market catastrophe.

Whoopsies.

Sn4ke_911 said:
What if you don't like Uncharted?

Then it won't be your GOTY. It's kind of pointless to tell someone they're wrong about a game being their personal GOTY. That seemed to be all French was saying.

Suairyu

Banned
zinder said:
Oh god you're one of those people.

Listen: review scores reflect you thoughts on a game at the time. If every game was scored in relation to that which has come before you'd need the scale to go above 100 and it'd keep rising year after year.

It is entirely conceivable (and likely) that a sequel can be superior to that which came before but, in context, score lower.

See: yearly sports title refreshes, MGS3 vs. 2, and now Uncharted 3, assuming Uncharted 3 is better. Personally, I think it doesn't looks better. I'm not a fan of how the lighting makes everyone look like a plasticine doll compared to Uncharted 2. I'll have to wait to play it before making any actual comments about the game, though, something you seem to think you don't have to do.

M.D

Chairman Yang said:
Dumb argument. By your logic you can't criticize any game, ever.

You can criticize a game all you want.
If Uncharted's 3 melee system was shit and didn't work, that would be a valid complaint. If the story sucked and made no sense, that would be a valid complaint.

To criticize a game for what it is and what it is trying to do (Uncharted being a cinematic and story driven experience, and Dark Souls being a hard and unforgiving game) is simply stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom