• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paracelsus

I see they gave GoW3 a 8/10 as well, they basically found flaws already there from the first game in both series and treated em as minuses.

I have a feeling why is that, it won't be long before I will have confirmation.

Red

Eurogamer's review pretty much confirmed what I was afraid of. I guess that's what I get after being so excited by GT's take.

Oh well.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
vulva said:
I was kind of on the fence, but seeing that it's looking to be a mediocre release, I'll save my money until the inevitable 20 dollar price drop.
Exactly man, and please come back next year to share your impressions.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Crunched said:
Eurogamer's review pretty much confirmed what I was afraid of. I guess that's what I get after being so excited by GT's take.

Oh well.
you were afraid that uncharted 3 would be like uncharted 2 and tightly linear?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Crunched said:

Oh well.

Care to elaborate? One 8 is disappointing you?

EDIT: I really cannot tell who is serious anymore.

dark10x said:
I'm going to have to agree here. At leas 50% of the review is spent harping on the fact that you are offered little in the way of choice. This has always been the case for the series and it was their goal to begin with. Uncharted is not an open ended game and has never aspired to become one.

Uncharted 2 flawlessly executed what it set out to do and I expect the same of UC3. There are plenty of moments where you are driven forward, but that doesn't mean some of the combat and stealth sequences can't offer some additional freedom. It seems to me that the reviewer simply wants to be able to run off the beaten path and I'm left wondering WHY exactly.

There was a time when it wasn't possible to deliver games which allowed such freedom, but now they have become commonplace. In the end, I find that the experiences that attempt to offer complete freedom of movement wind up becoming very shallow in the end. Sure, I can climb all of those fences and scale any wall, but what one finds on the other side of that wall looks exactly like where I just came from. Nearly every sandbox game this generation has given me that same feeling. Freedom sounds great on paper, but it does not necessarily lead to a compelling experience.

The type of roller coaster ride Uncharted offers isn't even all that common. It's not Call of Duty in the sense that you are performing the same actions over and over again. They mix up shooting, climbing, light platforming, simple puzzles, slower paced sections, and great scripting into one game and delivers all of them at the highest quality.

It simply feels as if they wanted the game to be something that it was never designed to be.

100% agree, you put what I was trying to say in this post and for that I must thank you. I am too drugged up on pain meds (knee surgery) right now to make my point as clearly as I would like, lol!

Grisby

Massa said:
I think Golden Shower will get slaughtered in the reviews. :(

It's not only coming soon after another Uncharted game, it's coming soon after Uncharted 3.
I dunno, Ghost of Sparta did pretty good and it was released soon after God O War 3 right? Golden Abyss just needs to be a bit longer to justify the price or have some extra modes.

Donos

Chinner said:
im really looking forward to the part where we all play uncharted 3 ourselves and forget about all the reviews and decide our own opinions. thats probably the best part.
That's the part when people post threads like "nfs shift 2 is a better game than uc3. Discuss. "

Red

Y2Kev said:
you were afraid that uncharted 3 would be like uncharted 2 and tightly linear?
Seems moved more in the direction of movie game. "Stray from the path and instantly die." Not what I was hoping for.

There's a place for it, and I love the UC series for what it does, but I was hoping for more freedom.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Care to elaborate? One 8 is disappointing you?

EDIT: I really cannot tell who is serious anymore.
I think if the text in the review is all accurate, that 8 is well deserved.

Second said:
Eurogamer also gave Gears 3 an 8.

They don't seem to be fans on the number 3.
eurogamer give pretty much everything a 8.0

well unless its made in the UK or something. but there go to score for most games seems to be a 8

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SolidSnakex said:
Will any of the remaining "big" end of the year games disappoint? Batman, U3 and BF3 have all received glowing reviews.
I suspect Assassin's Creed will review well enough, but I can't deny that the idea of yet ANOTHER installment set within the same world is leaving me cold. Brotherhood was already a bit of a stretch yet they managed to deliver in the end. I'm not sure I can take another one until they decide to push forward to another time frame.

zoukka

Second said:
Eurogamer also gave Gears 3 an 8.

How dare they use anything but 10 to describe the great production values these games offer? What do they think they are, critics, journalists... people with opinions?!

Jb

SolidSnakex said:
Will any of the remaining "big" end of the year games disappoint? Batman, U3 and BF3 have all received glowing reviews.
MW3 will probably meet its middling expectations. Skyrim is the only wildcard, but so far every preview has been very enthusiastic.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Crunched said:
Seems moved more in the direction of movie game. "Stray from the path and instantly die." Not what I was hoping for.

There's a place for it, and I love the UC series for what it does, but I was hoping for more freedom.

I don't see how you could love something for what it is but then want it to totally change.

Gravijah said:
you haven't even played it you are so bias

you calling me bias means you are bias i mean stop being bais

zoukka

Deadly Cyclone said:
I will laugh (and re-quote this post) when Eurogamer gives Skyrim a 8/10 stating there was "too much to do and it was too big."

You act like RPG's haven't been overstretched in the past?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
SecretOfEvermore said:
I've not read any review.

Has any reviewer commented on the 3D-effect of the game?
Haven't read anything about 3D so far and I'm dying to know how it runs as well.

Red

Y2Kev said:
I don't see how you could love something for what it is but then want it to totally change.
I don't know if I'd call less linear paths a "total change." I wanted the emphasis here to be more on the game part, not the spectacle.

GT implies the puzzles are a bit better, and that there are less between-cutscene shooty bits now, so maybe that will help make up for it.

nib95

Banned
zoukka said:
How dare they use anything but 10 to describe the great production values these games offer? What do they think they are, critics, journalists... people with opinions?!

The flaw here is that you think all opinions are equal or in themselves get a pass from critsism simply because they are just that, someone else's opinion. They don't. And in this instance the journalist in question from Eurogamer has a very peculiar one. Not the score. Ignore the score. But the actual criticisms made. Which I and a few others (dark10x's post is noteworthy) have already responded to.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Deadly Cyclone said:
I will laugh (and re-quote this post) when Eurogamer gives Skyrim a 8/10 stating there was "too much to do and it was too big."
Not unless the same dude is reviewing it. He favors open world shit and "freedom" in games it seems.

J-Rzez

SecretOfEvermore said:

This, came to question this. Any review go into depth on the 3D in this game? I can't read through all the reviews right now.

Crunched said:

I don't get this, there are areas to explore. Hunting for treasures is a perfect way to somewhat deviate from the "path". And if you are complaining about the cinematic parts, of course you should die if you don't get out of a collapsing building! "oh, this building is falling down, but I want to see whats behind this desk......WTF, I'm dead!!!!! 8/10!!!!!!!"

Dynedom

dark10x said:
I'm going to have to agree here. At least 50% of the review is spent harping on the fact that you are offered little in the way of choice. This has always been the case for the series and it was their goal to begin with. Uncharted is not an open ended game and has never aspired to become one.

Uncharted 2 flawlessly executed what it set out to do and I expect the same of UC3. There are plenty of moments where you are driven forward, but that doesn't mean some of the combat and stealth sequences can't offer some additional freedom. It seems to me that the reviewer simply wants to be able to run off the beaten path and I'm left wondering WHY exactly.

There was a time when it wasn't possible to deliver games which allowed such freedom, but now they have become commonplace. In the end, I find that the experiences that attempt to offer complete freedom of movement wind up becoming very shallow in the end. Sure, I can climb all of those fences and scale any wall, but what one finds on the other side of that wall looks exactly like where I just came from. Nearly every sandbox game this generation has given me that same feeling. Freedom sounds great on paper, but it does not necessarily lead to a compelling experience.

The type of roller coaster ride Uncharted offers isn't even all that common. It's not Call of Duty in the sense that you are performing the same actions over and over again. They mix up shooting, climbing, light platforming, simple puzzles, slower paced sections, and great scripting into one game and delivers all of them at the highest quality.

It simply feels as if they wanted the game to be something that it was never designed to be.

Amen.

HTuran

Deadly Cyclone said:
Wow, where did you hear that Parkin was reviewing Skyrim? Can't wait to read it.

dark10x said:
I suspect Assassin's Creed will review well enough, but I can't deny that the idea of yet ANOTHER installment set within the same world is leaving me cold. Brotherhood was already a bit of a stretch yet they managed to deliver in the end. I'm not sure I can take another one until they decide to push forward to another time frame.

I don't know man, I love Ezio's character and we gladly play one more with him, and with the way BroHood ended I want to see what happens to him next,
oh and what happened to Lucy also
. Now Im worried about the series' next character since It'll be hard to top Ezio.

Red

cjtiger300 said:
I don't get this, there are areas to explore. Hunting for treasures is a perfect way to somewhat deviate from the "path". And if you are complaining about the cinematic parts, of course you should die if you don't get out of a collapsing building! "oh, this building is falling down, but I want to see whats behind this desk......WTF, I'm dead!!!!! 8/10!!!!!!!"
Did you read the review, or have you played the game?

zoukka

nib95 said:
The flaw here is that you think all opinions are equal or in themselves get a pass from critsism simply because they are just that, someone else's opinion. They don't. And in this instance the journalist in question from Eurogamer has a very peculiar one. Not the score. Ignore the score. But the actual criticisms made. Which I and a few others (dark10x's post is noteworthy) have already responded to.

As have many other people including me to you.

M.D

Crunched said:

Freedom? Really? Like what? Side missions, maybe? Maybe chose what mission to do when?

What are you talking about when you say freedom?

Crunched said:

Uncharted series have 2 distinct mode of gameplay, it's linear platforming/set pieces moment where you have little freedom but follow the game's action. and it's combat portion which include stealth, melee and shooting. during the combat portion, you do have freedom on how to tackle the fight or how to approach it, level are bigger with verticality to give you those gameplay freedom too.

if you're okay with Uncharted 2, I don't see them changing the game to be more movie anymore than U2 already did.

I personally feel that I would like ND to begin a new series with the PS4, but I am far from being tired of Uncharted. I am not surprised that some reviews are saying that the formula may need some sprucing up, but I felt that the series has struck a good balance... Some games I have played and enjoyed (Dragon Age Origins, Batman Arkham City, and Deus Ex) felt like the sequel really needed to change things up, since these fairly lengthy games had you repeating the same set pieces on many occasions such that I felt satisfied with what I played, and didnt feel too compelled to play more. The uncharted series feels more varied because the action is so tightly set into the narrative and because presentation and visual design is so tight.

Yeah, Assassins Creed above all feels like it needs a major revision.

I think it's so weird when game reviewers have some magical self-imposed standard that they judge every game by. It's been discussed enough here already to make the point fairly clear but I still find it frustrating. It's obvious that Uncharted 3 was not designed with choice in mind whatsoever, but how does that inherently make the game flawed? The game should be judged based on what it is, not by some mystical paradigm that you've invented for what every game should be.

It's like game reviewers hone in on specific trends in the industry and criticize games that avoid those trends. Ironically, these are the same reviewers who praise another game for being innovative and daring. Sure, there is nothing particularly innovative about the linearity of Uncharted 3, but choosing to make your game completely linear is a conscious design decision that directly effects what the game is. So with that said, why judge the game for something it purposefully isn't?

SecretOfEvermore said:

probably not going to hear much on this until the inevitable DF article on the matter. i trust in Naughty Dog though.

nib95 said:
Few problems with this. First is that you insinuate linearity as automatically 'negative'. This is something I personally see an issue with. A game's quality shouldn't be judged on it's genre or style of gameplay alone, be it open world or linear. Rather it's the implementation of whatever method or medium it chooses that determines this.

You have design constructs in both linear and open world games, and not all games following either or do so successfully.

I think you may be missing a point. When people complain that the game is linear, I think, it's their way of saying that the game REMINDS them that what they're playing is too restrictive. That it's scripted, etc. I don't think they're attacking linearity here. I think they're attacking implementation or, maybe in this case, scripted events. (To me Uncharted will always be a scripted game with breaks in between to shoot waves of enemies and do a little platform)

Gamers don't hate linear games. Not every game on the market right now is non-linear and those sell just as many copies as any other game (see: Gears 3). Arkham Asylum and City are perfect examples of disguising linearity in an open world to give the sense of 'freedom'.

Shepard

J-Rzez said:
This, came to question this. Any review go into depth on the 3D in this game? I can't read through all the reviews right now.
marc^o^ said:
Haven't read anything about 3D so far and I'm dying to know how it runs as well.
SecretOfEvermore said:
Not too in-depht but that was a quote from an early review from playmania saying that "The 3D effect is very successful, one of the best they’ve seen".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom