• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momo

Banned
plagiarize said:
standard deviation. go look it up.
Scale all the scores and derive the standard deviation for this sample. Would be interested to know if and how far Eurogamer lies outside.

Vire

SykoTech said:
I'm not sure how long you've been on GAF, but that certainly isn't how things go on this forum. Overzealous fans of any game will dump on reviews and/or reviewers when they don't get the scores that they want. Mods allow it most likely because it's amusing to them (hence why they change the topic title and stuff to attract more people). It doesn't mean that there's some Uncharted fanboy conspiracy going on.
And I said that in my original post which you failed to read:

"Plus it's largely inoffensive in the grand scheme of things. If they were racially insulting or overly vulgar in their criticisms of the review - then we might have a problem. Till then - this is NeoGAF for better or worse."

Riposte said:
Uncharted's cinematic moments are practically QTEs which are slow to punish you. They have that level of depth going for them. Their purpose is to make something akin to very pretty interactive cutscenes. QTEs in Vanquish are scarce in comparison.

There is no prejudice going on here. People simply think that stripping away the degree of control and challenge in favor of spectacular cinematic moments is inferior to the best kind of pleasure videogames can give.

Perhaps, but how many them are directly comparable to Uncharted 2/3? A TPS.

There's still others out there, Dead Space, Gears, Army of Two, etc. They exist to varying degrees of quality. But I'll stop here, because I don't want to turn this into Vanquish vs Uncharted.

I am interested to see what SE does with FF versus though. They seem to be incorporating epic set pieces and scripted events into what seems to be a huge scale action rpg. I am more hyped for that game that I am for U3, but it isn't a safe bet, like this is.

That project has interested me the most beyond FF XIII/XIV/XIII-2, etc. I'm really looking forward to seeing some gameplay in the next 2 years.

Eurogamers review is very personal, as I expect many reviews are.

Honestly, it was a well-written review, but the other countries on the site felt differently, the UK one is the lowest score. I didn't have a huge problem with it, I just felt he has something else in mind for games in general that take some control away from the player.

That's a different cup of tea for everyone, even if a game does it well, there's people that want to do the action rather than watch. Perfectly valid.

It is also why DMC3:SE is so satisfying, especially when you can fight like the boss version of Vergil.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pranay_ said:
Their are 15 10/10

Same as Batman AC

But there are also a bunch lower.

These are my life force.

Is Tricky okay?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Mama Robotnik said:
Why are people waiting for Gamespot?

I know it was years ago now, but the Kane and Lynch scandal evidences that they can and have been paid for reviews and scores. They're not a trustworthy outlet for anything, ever, even a game you are hyped for. I'm not saying it has happened with Uncharted, its certainly a great game and doesn't need such bribes to earn scores, but its nonetheless prove that they are untrustworthy and their reviews are therefore completely meaningless.

Its actually quite disconcerting that untrustworthy, liar sites like Gamespot are held in the same regard as their more trustworthy counterparts by those silly meta sites.
Well, they have been a lot more consistent after that fiasco. It's almost like they're trying to build up their reputation.

Yeah_its_Bob said:
Gameinformer gave a 9.5 to Dead Rising 2: Off the Record and Uncharted 3...
I can't understand
Haha, yea comparing scores is always a complete mess. Don't even try it with Xplay... *shudders*.

deepbrown

Billychu said:
What? The point isn't to compare games like that. If it was, there would only be one game reviewer.
Well really, reviewers should be given games that they have some experience in. I'd never be able to review Fifa for example, as I'd give it a 1/10.

But more than this, when it comes to such a popular series and if you've built it up with a score of 10/10 for the previous game, don't you think your site's fans want consistency? What's the point of giving Uncharted 3 to a review who would likely have given a 7/10 to Uncharted 2, when your own website gave a 10/10 to it beforehand?

What we have from the Eurogamer review is a criticism of Uncharted as a series - ie. the whole thing, not just Uncharted 3. I think that would be just fine to give Uncharted 2 a 7/10 and Uncharted 3 an 8/10 if it was consistent and from the same view point that the Uncharted series and its decisions aren't that great, however you've lost that ability when you've praised everything the series is previously.

What we have is a review from Tom and a review from Simon - both of which could feature on their own blogs. What we don't have is a Eurogamer review.

WhyMe6

Darknessbear said:
Yea, I meant though - do you enjoy this kind of genre? If you do, what do you consider is a more enjoyable one. Just coming from the stance, that I want more games like it. But if it's just from the, "the linear adventure game is boring" then I'd totally respect that.

Well, if we call this subgenre "Linear Cinematic Adventure Game", to describe a linear adventure game with a focus on storytelling and combat/platforming, the only games I can really compare to Uncharted 2 would be Uncharted 1 and, as you mentioned, Enslaved. Wow, two? I racked my brain but I can't think of any more? For comparison's sake, I absolutely loved both of those games. Therefore another possible stance could be "I was fatigued in the genre", but that doesn't apply either because there are only two other games I can think of and I played one ~2 years prior and the other 1.5 years later.

I genuinely did not find Uncharted 2 to be a compelling, enjoyable experience for those reasons mentioned previously.

Gvaz

Banned
Chinner said:
Sully played with Drake's facial hair as they laid in bed together, their minds melded as if they had discovered a new treasure.

"Drake" Sully whispered, "Is this love? Is this real?"

Drake smiled in response to his partner's question and stood up, "Sully all this time together it's been as-if we've been going through history reliving the greatness this world has witnessed. We've saved the world, helped others and stopped wars. All this time we've been in it for the money, the artefacts..."

"You don't have to say it" Sully murmured.

"...But little did I know that I've always had that artefact. Listen Sully, that artefact is my heart, and I want you to have it. You're my everything" Drake smiled as he unzipped his pants, this was the moment they've been waiting for all these years. Sully wept a single tear of happiness into his moustache of love.

"There's a puzzle in my pants Sully and I need you to figure it out".
You are an amazing motherfucker, never change.

nib95

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Why are people waiting for Gamespot?

I know it was years ago now, but the Kane and Lynch scandal evidences that they can and have been paid for reviews and scores. They're not a trustworthy outlet for anything, ever, even a game you are hyped for. I'm not saying it has happened with Uncharted, its certainly a great game and doesn't need such bribes to earn scores, but its nonetheless prove that they are untrustworthy and their reviews are therefore completely meaningless.

Its actually quite disconcerting that untrustworthy, liar sites like Gamespot are held in the same regard as their more trustworthy counterparts by those silly meta sites.

You know similar scandals have occurred with Eurogamer right? I believe one was a review they did where the guy only played the game for a few minutes before posting the review. When quizzed he lied and Eurogamer defended him, little did they know the devs had a log of every minute he actually played the game. There was also another where the reviewer made a mistake on a complaint about an obvious feature that either did or didn't exist (I forget) in a Wii game or something similar, bringing up doubt if he too had played the game.

This ins't me singling out Eurogamer (ironically), but I guess my point would be, if you have such moral standards, you should apply the same to Eurogamer.

Personally, I think no review outlet should be completely trusted. Sounds cynical I know, but I know people in the industry who have openly come out and admitted certain things to me (advertising revenue and it's links to reviews etc) that confirmed my tin hat pessimism.

Oozinator

Banned
I'll get this game on day one and complete it as soon as possible in order to sell it for optimum price. I don't plan to keep it for multiplayer as online multiplayer doesn't feel right on PS3 (mainly due to bad mic voice quality of other players)

Vire

SolidSnakex said:
Now that's funny.
What's funny about it?

Jeff Gerstmann was fired at Gamespot for upholding his integrity on a review that publishers were pushing for a higher score.

Gvaz

Banned
French said:
Very good, except that Eurogamer joke review.
What was a joke about it?

Criticism > praise

also 8/10 is still pretty good imo. 5/10 is average. Period, end of discussion.

reKon

Banned
Oozinator said:
I'll get this game on day one and complete it as soon as possible in order to sell it for optimum price. I don't plan to keep it for multiplayer as online multiplayer doesn't feel right on PS3 (mainly due to bad mic voice quality of other players)

what? that's really the reason? lol

Riposte

Billychu said:
Giant Bomb.

It is funny because Jeff Gerts' just got down giving the "best driving simulator in the world"(from the review) a 4/5.

Boombloxer said:
There's still others out there, Dead Space, Gears, Army of Two, etc. They exist to varying degrees of quality. But I'll stop here, because I don't want to turn this into Vanquish vs Uncharted.

LOL

reKon

Banned
NeoUltima said:
"Multiplayer seems tacked on" -G4

What.

Another thing I don't get about this review. Look at what he says about Uncharted 2's multiplayer in that review, then look at this one. It doesn't make any fucking sense at all..
I'm not mad or anything, I just honestly don't get it. Logically it doesn't make sense at all considering how much more deep Uncharted 3 compared to Uncharted 2, and that's on every level. But, somehow NOW it ends up being tacked on?

I wonder if reviewers ever go back to previous reviews they've written just to compare their former thoughts.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gravijah said:
is that australian?

Yes. It is Australian for "These fanboy tears are delicious".

Vire said:
What's funny about it?

Jeff Gerstmann was fired at Gamespot for upholding his integrity on a review that publishers were pushing for a higher score.

I just find it funny because Gamespot and their reviews were considered horrid long before that K&L fiasco. Those were mainly run by the people that now work at GiantBomb.

I also don't get how you can criticize IGN for being fanboys for their U3 review and then turn around and praise GiantBomb after Jeff's Arkham City review. Best melee combat in gaming? Now that's fanboyish.

Satchel

Banned
MuddyDonut said:
The multiplayer seems tacked on? I don't think so Mr. Sessler

Um, if the MP of 2 and the Beta of 3 is anything to go by, he's not far off the mark.

Multiplayer isn't really Uncharted's greatest strength. Uncharted's gameplay was never designed with multiplayer in mind, so it makes sense that the multiplayer isn't really that good.

Mama Robotnik said:
I've found more quotes of madness and added them to the Page 66 Hall of Fame. I think I can safely say I don't think I've ever seen a thread as fanatical as this over a single review score on GAF before. Well, at least during my time on the board.

Jeebus fuck. That's pretty disgraceful. I think I need to stay out of Sony threads if that's really how bad they get. Wouldn't it be way too easy to get banned if you weren't on that hivemind track?

I mean christ, I've spent some time in the Zelda threads and they're nowhere NEAR that bad.

The Gears one was pedestrian compared to both of those on a lesser note.

nib95 said:
You know similar scandals have occurred with Eurogamer right? I believe one was a review they did where the guy only played the game for a few minutes before posting the review. When quizzed he lied and Eurogamer defended him, little did they know the devs had a log of every minute he actually played the game. There was also another where the reviewer made a mistake on a complaint about an obvious feature that either did or didn't exist (I forget) in a Wii game or something similar, bringing up doubt if he too had played the game.

This ins't me singling out Eurogamer (ironically), but I guess my point would be, if you have such moral standards, you should apply the same to Eurogamer.

Personally, I think no review outlet should be completely trusted. Sounds cynical I know, but I know people in the industry who have openly come out and admitted certain things to me (advertising revenue and it's links to reviews etc) that confirmed my tin hat pessimism.

Pretty sure both those incidents were IGN related. But whatever.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
In the end, the sites that actually matter have not let us down.

And this is one of the reasons why the enthusiast press is a joke: the people who say things like this, who need games to get a certain score and a certain level of praise in order to justify all the hype and enthusiasm they've put in prior to release. It's effectively DEMANDING that the press gets swept up in the hype too and not actually form their own opinions.

deepbrown

zoukka said:
Thank god.
Oh, that's a bit disingenuous. I'm still asking for personal opinions, just consistent ones.

How would you feel if one year Fifa 10 was given a 10/10 and the next Fifa 11 was given an 8/10 "because there's too much dribbling"?

Gvaz

Banned
Gravijah said:
batman, dark souls, uc3, bf3, skyrim, dark souls, saints row 3, etc... there's a lot of competition.

but personally, so far, my goty is the binding of isaac.
Xenoblade. I'm going to play the UC series soon it looks like lots of fun, but I highly doubt that will top Xenoblade.

SSReborn

Know what I find kind of funny, when people say don't look at the score read the review. Then turn around and crack jokes at the expense of people who are critquing reviews despite the score being good or not

deepbrown

reKon said:
Another thing I don't get about this review. Look at what he says about Uncharted 2's multiplayer in that review, then look at this one. It doesn't make any fucking sense at all..
I'm not mad or anything, I just honestly don't get it. Logically it doesn't make sense at all considering how much more deep Uncharted 3 compared to Uncharted 2, and that's on every level. But, somehow NOW it ends up being tacked on?

I wonder if reviewers ever go back to previous reviews they've written just to compare their former thoughts.
They don't, hardly ever.

SykoTech

Vire said:
And I said that in my original post which you failed to read:

And that has nothing to do with your stupid claim that mods we're allowing stuff because they are Uncharted fanboys. If you were joking all you need to do is say so instead of bringing up unrelated sentences that you made which I've already read.

Kaako said:
Funny thing is Vire said that he was outta this thread a couple of pages back but he just can't stop himself from coming back in. This thread is magnetic. You just can't escape it.

Lol, yep. Such an "unbearable" place for him.
Though to be fair, I'm still here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom