• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 street date broken as thieves steal copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurish

Everyone who bought these copies on ebay supported criminals. Must feel great to play the game now.

It's really weird as the Ebay sellers had a great reputation, they weren't some new accounts guys who set them up for this, obviously the thiefs won't sell it directly anyway but I wonder how the Ebay sellers got the copies, how that thing was distributed.

Can't the police investigate them?

Raitaro

Am I the only one who can't help but think that this theft doubles as a quite applicable (if unintentional) piece of marketing for a game centering around thieves?

Guess Uncharted 4 was not the End of these game Thieves at least...yet...

It's really weird as the Ebay sellers had a great reputation, they weren't some new accounts guys who set them up for this, obviously the thiefs won't sell it directly anyway but I wonder how the Ebay sellers got the copies, how that thing was distributed.

I think in germany you have to give it back to the police, even if you didn't know it was stolen. Yoshida says Police is investigating, but I doubt that the people who bought a copy from ebay are in trouble. Obviously, that depends on how much copes were stolen.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I hope no one buys those stolen copies, but then again. That seems like a wishful thinking from my part.

SomTervo

I'm wondering about all of this, too. Especially because those sellers had such good reputations. I wonder if they're all fronts/part of a crime sales ring.

Ricky_R

What are the chances of a wild alternate account detonating with a new thread having a major spoiler in the title?

Has it happened before?

What are the chances of a wild alternate account detonating with a new thread having a major spoiler in the title?

Has it happened before?
I don't remember on GAF but on another forum that I used to post, someone made a new account with spoiler as username and made a thread.

m4st4

Has it happened before?

Hm... needs to be someone extremely dedicated (or pissed about his own life) since GAF accounts get approved only months after application, that's the whole point.

Ricky_R

I don't remember on GAF but on another forum that I used to post, someone made a new account with spoiler as username and made a thread.

OMG-Facepalm-GIF.gif

Hm... needs to be someone extremely dedicated (or pissed about his own life) since GAF accounts get approved only months after application, that's the whole point.

Maybe Hindle had one stored for a rainy day.

Ferr986

I got spoiled on The Force Awakens here on GAF so be careful,guys.

Mods are pretty fast so thats good atleast.

Javin98

Banned
How do you know you're not buying direct from criminals if it's via eBay?

If you're buying from stores etc, fair enough.
I did say that I was going to go look at stores this weekend, though. Hell, I never bought a thing from eBay before. And I'm from Malaysia, so if there are copies here, it could be the stolen copies, it could be not.

Apologies, but if you had seen the earlier posts you'd understand how your comment could come across as callous.

Nah man, I should be the one to apologize. Sometimes I wake up early and shitpost the first thing that pops into my mind in the first thread I come across. Its a bad habit that I need to break. Now that I've had my shower and am awake, I realize that my post was shitty regardless.

Hale_C

Nah man, I should be the one to apologize. Sometimes I wake up early and shitpost the first thing that pops into my mind in the first thread I come across. Its a bad habit that I need to break. Now that I've had my shower and am awake, I realize that my post was shitty regardless.

No worries, all is well. I just want to get back to looking forward to the 10th... Unfortunately this whole situation is grimly compelling. It doesn't help that there's three threads on it!

Wait, Sony is now even deleting screenshot of the copy? What?

That'll be the user deleting it, not Sony. People with copies off ebay are getting understandably cagey.

I was spoiled on who the Origami Killer was in Heavy Rain the day before release. Back on ye old PALGN forums in Australia someone made an account and a thread with the spoiler in the title.

zkorejo

I honestly think it is better this way. Getting a game this early may not even be that fun. You cant discuss the game or read other's impressions/experience with it in the OT. What is the point of playing such a story heavy game when you have no one to discuss it with after completing it.

Plus the game will last around 3-5 days max then you have to wait for about 10 more days to get into the MP.

IMO getting a game 3 maybe 4 days earlier sounds better as compared to 2 weeks.

Kule

Has it happened before?

Pretty sure a guy here had a force awakens spoiler as his avatar. I remember seeing some outrage about it but luckily I was a few pages behind the thread and missed it. Google auto complete still spoiled me though so I'd recommend not searching for anything Uncharted related.

Hale_C

I honestly think it is better this way. Getting a game this early may not even be that fun. You cant discuss the game or read other's impressions/experience with it in the OT. What is the point of playing such a story heavy game when you have no one to discuss it with.

I feel kind of sorry for the people who got it off ebay- I feel like it'd taint the experience, knowing the origins of your copy. Not to mention the (probably needless) paranoia. I don't blame people for buying them in the first place when yesterday we didn't know where they'd come from- if I'd been flush with cash I might have done the same.

But if I could have gotten it 'legit' from some independent retailer just breaking street date... hell yeah, I wouldn't mind playing it in a vacuum.

Boke1879

Just texted a friend who works at Best Buy and asked if they got any stock in. She said no. So yea this really isn't out at major retailers yet and it's your typical mom and pop places selling it early if anything.

It sucks but I can wait. I got way too much to play right now anyway

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I honestly think it is better this way. Getting a game this early may not even be that fun. You cant discuss the game or read other's impressions/experience with it in the OT. What is the point of playing such a story heavy game when you have no one to discuss it with after completing it.

I dunno, I play games for myself and not for NeoGAF...

Gurish

I think in germany you have to give it back to the police, even if you didn't know it was stolen. Yoshida says Police is investigating, but I doubt that the people who bought a copy from ebay are in trouble. Obviously, that depends on how much copes were stolen.

I was wondering about Ebay's sellers more than the buyers.

zkorejo

I feel kind of sorry for the people who got it off ebay- I feel like it'd taint the experience, knowing the origins of your copy. Not to mention the (probably needless) paranoia. I don't blame people for buying them in the first place when yesterday we didn't know where they'd come from- if I'd been flush with cash I might have done the same.

But if I could have gotten it 'legit' from some independent retailer just breaking street date... hell yeah, I wouldn't mind playing it in a vacuum.

I dunno, I play games for myself and not for NeoGAF...

Maybe its just me then. I like to read/discuss games/movies/tv shows after playing/watching.

SomTervo

Pretty sure a guy here had a force awakens spoiler as his avatar. I remember seeing some outrage about it but luckily I was a few pages behind the thread and missed it. Google auto complete still spoiled me though so I'd recommend not searching for anything Uncharted related.

Holy fuck

NEVER USING GOOGLE AGAIN

zkorejo

Apparently, some of the content in the day one patch include photo mode, single player skins, multiplayer support and character model viewer. I'm most excited for the last one. ;)

That gives me hope that we dont have to download another 10 gb to access MP.

Des

Nice to have single player skins confirmed, any word on if they are bringing back cheats like anti gravity mode? That would be pretty crazy with all the physics stuff in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom