• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnderRail |OT| The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for

The game is hard. At least in the early access which i played quite a bit , i got probably killed more than any other game in recent years. Still enjoyable though.

Yeah, it is. But I really don't mind. It's far from impossible, I just have to be more careful and not try and attack anything but rathounds at first. It's fairly easy to escape too.

Purkake4

Banned
You should be able to wreck most normal enemies with a decent gun and some luck in the beginning.

There is the very cRPG thing of picking your battles however, not everything you can fight is doable the first chance you get.

Protip: stealth is really useful.

I got only 1 XP from finding the first oddity item I came across in the game (some piece of paper with orders). Is this normal?

Also:
Is there anywhere I can find or buy a really cheap crossbow?

I need it for the experimental bolts side-quest but I don't have enough money, even if I sell my entire inventory to the armory guy.

I got only 1 XP from finding the first oddity item I came across in the game (some piece of paper with orders). Is this normal?

Also:
Is there anywhere I can find or buy a really cheap crossbow?

I need it for the experimental bolts side-quest but I don't have enough money, even if I sell my entire inventory to the armory guy.

A) Yes, that's normal. Pretty cool system too.
B)
The guy who gives out the quest gives you a crossbow, you can find it in a locker in his room.

Arulan

In unrelated news, I had to steal this awesome image from the Codex release thread.

ef451af5d9.png

This is amazing.

I look forward to creating my character shortly. Nice OT. ;)

Purkake4

Banned
Some early impressions:

I really like that they've added even more secret/hidden areas and skill checks for accessing them. I also like the final version of the perk system, always more things I'd like to take than I have slots.

The dialog is there and its not bad. I think the talky areas are a bit more separated from the fight-y areas than in some games, but overall it fits together well.

The combat is as tough as ever. Armor penetration seems even more important now, those psi beetles are wrecking my shit and there's quite a few side-areas in the beginning that you are not ready for.

The crafting has really come together nicely and crafting your own stuff is pretty much always superior to buying it.

Sweet!
Yeah, I got the early access a little while ago and got about 10 or so hours into the game. Really surprised how much I'm enjoying it. There is something very... comforting about the whole thing from the atmosphere to the gameplay.
And I took the pill.
Vivat role-play!

barnone

Running it on a Intel Pentium 977 laptop with integrated Intel graphics here and no problems. As the combat is turn-based, touchpad is fine too.

thanks for the info. I am really enjoying the exploration in fallout 4. I'll give this a shot :)
edit: Windows only it seems

Easy_D

never left the stone age
:(. My desura key doesn't work and I'm pretty sure I didn't get it through Groupees.

Edit: Ah, seems it was Groupees! Nevermind

Edit #2: Uh. All the music and ambience is on my left speaker only, sound effects are normal but not the rest.

Edit #3: Restarted and it's normal. Odd

dci260

The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for
Let's be honest, New Vegas was the Fallout 3 we were waiting for. Besides the change to a first-person perspective, it had the soul and feel of a Fallout game, and it carried over a lot from Van Buren (The original Fallout 3).

This, however, looks great and seems to be the actual Fallout 4 that we have been waiting for. (I've been waiting for UnderRail to hit full release for awhile!) :)
Disregarding that "Fallout 3" spin-off, which just recently came out from Bethesda ;-)

2c4b3fe.jpg

Begone, foul RTwP peasant!

Pretty sad this has to release right now when I barely have time. Really excited to start playing...

Moff

subbed, thanks for the OT
the oddity system sounds very interesting, can't wait to see how diverse the game design is

I bought this game last week without knowing anything about it

draetenth

Thought the title was meaning it was like Fallout 3 but 1000x better and so on.

It's for those who loved Fallout 1 & 2 and hated what Bethesda did to the Fallout franchise with Fallout 3... Hence, it's the Fallout 3 they've been waiting 17 years for.

Fallout 1 & 2 were turn-based (well, combat was)...

oddities are obsolete in that case?

Here's what the wiki says:
They can also be found when playing with Classic XP System, but do not have as big of a role in leveling process there. Compared to Oddity XP System, they award 50 times more experience in Classic XP System, where other experience gains are also much larger.

Moff

I can't decide
on one side I understand that combat can feel very unrewarding and like a waste of time without XP
on the other side I love XP systems that reward different kinds of approaches (because combat usually gives the most or it allows you to get double xp)

I can't decide
on one side I understand that combat can feel very unrewarding and like a waste of time without XP
on the other side I love XP systems that reward different kinds of approaches (because combat usually gives the most or it allows you to get double xp)

The oddity system is pretty elegant and well integrated, it rewards you for exploration which is something you should be doing anyways.

Plus, as the other poster said, you do get oddities for killing enemies. I've noticed you also get XP for turning in quests, it's really not such a crazy system that it drastically changes the way you play.

Based on my experience, I would recommend checking it out.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's pretty crazy that he balanced the game against two completely different ways to accrue XP. I wonder how much under the hood changes depending which XP mode you choose.

Vilifier

Neo Member
I went to wishlist this game on steam and found out I already had it from a groupees greenlight bundle 2 years ago. Yep, I have too many games and I stopped buying bundles months ago!

Eusis

I went to wishlist this game on steam and found out I already had it from a groupees greenlight bundle 2 years ago. Yep, I have too many games and I stopped buying bundles months ago!
Similar situation, except I think I checked awhile back and was pleasantly surprised to know I had it. Finally gave it a spin for a bit now that it's out of EA, this is definitely reminding me of stuff like Shadowrun SNES and if it weren't for all the other stuff I'd liket o play and should be doing I would probably be more inclined to dive in fully.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Oh cool your portrait background changes depending on the room your in and the lighting on your portrait changes too. Cool touch.

Corpekata

Banned
Oddity system is great for people that want to roleplay or characters that aren't totally killing focused.

And there's enough oddities on monsters that you'll still get XP from combat more or less.

Purkake4

Banned
Oddity system is great for people that want to roleplay or characters that aren't totally killing focused.

And there's enough oddities on monsters that you'll still get XP from combat more or less.
Going out of your way to find things to kill will coincidentally lead you to places with more oddities stashed around.

Corpekata

Banned
Psi can get you some very early crowd control which is very nice. Get one move that stuns, one that provides a movement debuff just from the initial training, provided you take all the schools. And since psi regens, you'll get to use abilities a lot more frequently than someone that builds a character around items or strict combat.

Top Bottom