• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnderRail |OT| The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Anybody have an estimate on how long this game is? I've got Wasteland 2 and Underrail ready to go, not sure which one I should start first.

Blizzard

Banned
Starting now, might try to be as non-combat as possible.

*edit* And by "now" I mean "later tonight since I forgot to install the game after buying it", haha.

Arulan

I'd recommend forcing Vsync through Nvidia Inspector, and capping it with RTSS. Without doing so, there is some judder when panning the camera. You should be doing that with almost every game, but just thought I'd bring it up.

Red Hood

Banned
I'm not familiar with Underrail, but wasn't the consensus Wasteland 2 is kinda Fallout 3? Heck, actually New Vegas but let's limit it to isometric games.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open for Underrail.

Crispy

EDIT:
Got it, had to disable all three robots with an EMP. But my guy is so shit at throwing it took three tries to hit the last one....Even though I have quite some points in throwing weapons.

Euh...so I guess I'm missing something, I'm kind of stuck on the first screen of the tutorial, where you fight the Sentry bots. I disabled them using an EMP grenade, but then I just can't put a dent in them. The gun and knife do almost no damage (and i'm out of bullets) and for the sledgehammer I have a very low hit percentage. I've been hacking away for ten minutes now and have the first sentry bot at half its health.

I guess this can't be the intended way to fight them. Am I missing something here??

Donnie

I'm not familiar with Underrail, but wasn't the consensus Wasteland 2 is kinda Fallout 3? Heck, actually New Vegas but let's limit it to isometric games.

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open for Underrail.

The combat in Wasteland 2 is very similar but outside of that its very different to a Fallout game. This game looks far closer in gameplay and style.

EDIT:
Got it, had to disable all three robots with an EMP. But my guy is so shit at throwing it took three tries to hit the last one....Even though I have quite some points in throwing weapons.

Euh...so I guess I'm missing something, I'm kind of stuck on the first screen of the tutorial, where you fight the Sentry bots. I disabled them using an EMP grenade, but then I just can't put a dent in them. The gun and knife do almost no damage (and i'm out of bullets) and for the sledgehammer I have a very low hit percentage. I've been hacking away for ten minutes now and have the first sentry bot at half its health.

I guess this can't be the intended way to fight them. Am I missing something here??

If I remember correctly, disabling them is enough. You don't have to destroy them.

Anyone have a good stat spread for a stealthy, non-combat character? I haven't had a chance to really dive into it but I'd like to have an idea.

Anyone have a good stat spread for a stealthy, non-combat character? I haven't had a chance to really dive into it but I'd like to have an idea.

A lot of points in Stealth (obviously). Agility should be your main Base Ability since that directly affects Stealth. Dexterity is good too so that you can lockpick and such easier. Perception might be good for spotting hidden stuff. Other than that it's all up to you depending on what you want to do other than stealth.

EDIT: Persuasion and Intimidation are mandatory if you want to be able to talk your way through encounters instead of fighting.

I made a potential stealth character real quick.
Strength 3
Dexterity 6
Agility 9
Constitution 4
Perception 6
Will 7
Intelligence 5

Perhaps dropping a point in something and adding it to Will would be a good idea.

Skills
Dodge 15 (if you end up in a fight you'll really want this so you don't die instantly)
Evasion 10 (it's for avoiding long range weapons which you won't encounter during the first few hours)
Stealth 15
Hacking 15
Lockpicking 15
Persuasion 15
Intimidation 15

That leaves you with 20 points. You might want to drop some of those into at least one kind of attack skill.

Feats
Burglar
Snooping or Ninja Looter

Just a quick and dirty character creation. I'm sure it can be improved upon, but it should get you through the beginning without too much trouble.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Game is great but one complaint I have is the complete lack of a map or area names on map exit zones.

Map-up.png

Map-lu.png

Map-lup.png

Map-lux.png

Map-cv.png

These might help.

A lot of points in Stealth (obviously). Agility should be your main Base Ability since that directly affects Stealth. Dexterity is good too so that you can lockpick and such easier. Perception might be good for spotting hidden stuff. Other than that it's all up to you depending on what you want to do other than stealth.

EDIT: Persuasion and Intimidation are mandatory if you want to be able to talk your way through encounters instead of fighting.

I made a potential stealth character real quick.
Strength 3
Dexterity 6
Agility 9
Constitution 4
Perception 6
Will 7
Intelligence 5

Perhaps dropping a point in something and adding it to Will would be a good idea.

Skills
Dodge 15 (if you end up in a fight you'll really want this so you don't die instantly)
Evasion 10 (it's for avoiding long range weapons which you won't encounter during the first few hours)
Stealth 15
Hacking 15
Lockpicking 15
Persuasion 15
Intimidation 15

That leaves you with 20 points. You might want to drop some of those into at least one kind of attack skill.

Feats
Burglar
Snooping or Ninja Looter

Just a quick and dirty character creation. I'm sure it can be improved upon, but it should get you through the beginning without too much trouble.

Awesome, this is very helpful. Thanks!

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
The absence of a map is a bummer. I don't wanna have to look at a map of the whole game just to see where I've been (though the post is appreciated).

Loving it so far, though the enemies cross the map so fast ranged combat seems kind of silly.
Heading east from the first outpost you just get one rathound gang bang after another. Course, I haven't fought anything else. Maybe that's just a rathound thing. Still, I didn't build a tank
so it's kind of a bummer to just have a pistol and four mooks beating on you with no chance to get off a couple of shots. They sprint from off-camera to melee range in one turn, reminds me of Arcanum

bati

Is Psi a fun path to go down? How quickly can you get companions with standard gun abilities?

There are no companions in this game. PSI plays a lot like a mage, I've just started a character with all 3 psi branches and I look forward to warping people's minds and setting them on fire. Not necessarily in that order.

Is there any point to invest in muggle social skills if you invest in Psi Mind Manipulation?

Also am I misunderstanding something, or does the tutorial with the 3 bots take forever? Like I'm pinging them for 19-20 damage or less, and it barely removes their health.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there any point to invest in muggle social skills if you invest in Psi Mind Manipulation?

Also am I misunderstanding something, or does the tutorial with the 3 bots take forever? Like I'm pinging them for 19-20 damage or less, and it barely removes their health.
Someone posted earlier about the tutorial. I haven't played it yet, but apparently you're supposed to do something faster:
An EMP grenade hitting all 3?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
These might help.

That's irrelevant. There should an in-game map that is uncovered as you explore the game world. Heck even the oldest of old school rpgs always had a map. I don't even care if it is the most rudimentary static map, just some way to track zone names and their location in the world.

Corpekata

Banned

The psi abilities are just in combat, at least so far. Granted I am still in the first major area.

Tutorial with the three bots shouldn't take forever, for me just 1 shot each disabled them.

You're not supposed to kill the first three, just disable, and then move to the next room.

There are no companions in this game. PSI plays a lot like a mage, I've just started a character with all 3 psi branches and I look forward to warping people's minds and setting them on fire. Not necessarily in that order.
Weird, and a bummer.

Yeah, I started playing earlier today and the psi abilities seem fun and very viable. Doing a fist/psi build.

Mulgrok

That's irrelevant. There should an in-game map that is uncovered as you explore the game world. Heck even the oldest of old school rpgs always had a map. I don't even care if it is the most rudimentary static map, just some way to track zone names and their location in the world.

I don't think you have experienced the older games. In game maps were not a thing until probably the 90's.

bati

You can buy a lot of them in SGS, as soon as you have enough money (which isn't all that much). Several more have been added since the early access build so I don't know if you get those at the trainers as well or elsewhere. There's one thought control ability that you get through exploration though.

Corpekata

Banned
You get the intro Psi powers from the doctor, he'll then tell you about 3 trainers you'll need to track down yourself. Not sure how much skill is required exactly but the intro powers for each skill didn't have a needed skill next to them like the more advanced ones, so it must be fairly low.

I don't think you have experienced the older games. In game maps were not a thing until probably the 90's.

Seeing as this game is heavily influenced by Fallout 1 and 2, it's not too much to ask for an in-game map. Those games had it. Besides, just because it's an old-school game doesn't mean they can't put something like a map in the game. It is 2015 after all.

Corpekata

Banned
I haven't made my character yet. If I want to avoid combat, would I even get to use Psi powers?

You can theoretically use them to escape combat since they have a lot of crowd control. Like an early encounter with bandits, I just erected a force field to cut off the ranged line of sight, and high tailed it since they need to move around it to get me back in their sights.

Haven't see a non-combat use for them yet, like in dialogue.

It's not weird, it's awesome in fact.
I always prefer playing with companions because managing a team is a lot of fun and it never makes sense to have one person going up against 10 creatures. Fallout 1 and 2 had them but this isn't much like Fallout anyway despite the title. Still enjoying it though.

akira28

Game is great but one complaint I have is the complete lack of a map or area names on map exit zones.

yeah its confusing but I guess that's part of the 'hardcore' nature. I think one of the reviewers said it comes up in one of the later levels with a maze-like sector city area. I kinda dig it, it would be easier to have a map, but I being forced to memorize directions to get to areas and make mental maps is a callback to older games that weren't as friendly.

At least they do have street signs.

Blizzard

Banned
When assigning skill points, what do the white numbers in parentheses mean? I see Interloper requires stealth 20, but I can only get to stealth 15 (20) when creating my character.

Arulan

When assigning skill points, what do the white numbers in parentheses mean? I see Interloper requires stealth 20, but I can only get to stealth 15 (20) when creating my character.

It's your effective skill level, but the prerequisites on feats are referring to the first number, the unmodified one. Your maximum level for a skill is 10 + 5 * (Character Level). You'll be able to take Interloper when you level up to 2, assuming you put at least 5 points into Stealth from your current 15.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Pro-Tip™: Guns sell for the same amount with or without ammo, so unload your guns first (right click) and double up by selling the ammo after.

Assuming you don't need the ammo anyways.

Corpekata

Banned
The white numbers are from bonuses. Like if you level up a skill some will say it shares 10 percent synergy with another skill, so when you put 10 points into one skill, the other gets a free bonus point. So that's the total skill from base points, stats, equipment, and synergies.

But as mentioned, when it comes to certain things, it'll want only your base skill. Like all of the Psi skill training, it needs to be the base rather than combined.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the answer(s).

Is there any interest in replacing fonts? The dotted menu font bugs me and I wish it were solid. I saw some people complaining about the "large" font too. Unfortunately trying to mod it will involve an XNA adventure so I didn't feel like going down that road at the moment.

Top Bottom