• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Good luck on your Genocide run, you monster. I actually prefer this route over the others and think more people should play it instead of watching someone else do it. It's a great experience, despite making you feel like crap.

So it turns out I was playing it wrong to get the Genocide run.
I was just killing everything I came across, willy nilly. I wasn't actually doing the grind of staying in one area until literally every last monster was dead. I didn't realize this until I had gotten back up to CORE and did some reading to realize the Genocide path changes things MUCH earlier on in the game.

Wow, does it take a darker tone once you get to the first "But nobody came..." and then the many more. It's pretty incredible how it's changed my perception of Frisk from an innocent little kid in a crazy situation to a cold, soulless psychopath. Those closed eyes don't help either.

Once I got set on the... "right" path, I got stuck at
Undyne the Undying. The combat up to this point has been a breeze and I was both shocked and impressed in the difficulty spike.

It really does make you question if going through all of this is worth it.

For the sake of uncovering all that Undertale has to offer... I think it is. And will stay determined.

Seems like the patch will include a colour adjustment to help colourblind people see certain things better, specifically blue attacks.

CZGTWR6UAAAATvq.png

PSqueak

Banned
Most of the monsters seem like a peaceful bunch. The only one I truly worry about is Muffet... I wonder how she's going to handle the humans and their fear of spiders.

Muffet will end up dead in a couple of months, shot by the police after they find the cache of dead humans and monster dust she had been using for her little bakery, she thought she could get away with her Sweeny Todd scheme, but justice always catches up.

Alphys is Phyllis Smith, "Sadness" from Inside Out

I also hear Skeletor every time Papyrus talks, which I'm sure was intentional.

Yup. Screechy Papyrus. I was wracking my brain for like 3 minutes earlier trying to figure out what voice I was thinking

I kept landing back on a C3PO Papyrus... oops. I knew I was wrong.

Phyllis Smith is grade A choice.

Sans is Bill Fagerbakke.

Idk what he does outside of Patrick Star but that voice is too dopey. But I'm sure he has range.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm playing this for the first time, nearing the end, but I have a question. I've been doing a pacifist run, so I'm lvl 1 with 0 exp, but now I read
I won't get the best ending right away? Do I have to run through the game again to get that? Another thread I read said that it's not needed, I'm confused. I hope I can get the ending I want, because it wasn't always easy going pacifist. Also befriended Papyrus and Undyne.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I you have not killed anyone you can use your save after instructed to continue onto the True Pacifist path.
If you have killed you have to redo the entire game without killing anyone.

I'm playing this for the first time, nearing the end, but I have a question. I've been doing a pacifist run, so I'm lvl 1 with 0 exp, but now I read
I won't get the best ending right away? Do I have to run through the game again to get that? Another thread I read said that it's not needed, I'm confused. I hope I can get the ending I want, because it wasn't always easy going pacifist. Also befriended Papyrus and Undyne.

You won't have to replay the game but you will have to do some extra stuff

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just got done with the true ending.

I'll need some time to process all of this. But this is a very special game. I'm going to be reading a lot about it.

One thing I can immediately say is that it feels good to play a game again that has so many unique and memorable characters. It's been a while since I played something with this much personality.

Ferrio

Banned
Just got done with the true ending.

I'll need some time to process all of this. But this is a very special game. I'm going to be reading a lot about it.

One thing I can immediately say is that it feels good to play a game again that has so many unique and memorable characters. It's been a while since I played something with this much personality.

Now genocide :D

Bakkus

The only real complaints I have for the game is the text speed. If you don't press X, it moves way too slow, but if you do, the entire text gets revealed in a swoosh when I only want it to move faster plus that you risk skipping dialogue.

The other is that the game really needs a boss rush mode. I want to be able to play all the different final bosses at anytime.

If Toby Fox won't do it then fans can easily made mods for this, right?

Any characters who's voices you imagine in your head?

Sans - John DiMaggio or H. Jon Benjamin or Beau Billingslea

Edit: Apparently it's H. Jon not John H. my bad.
Mad Dummy/Mettaton - Whomever I heard voice DIO last, primarily OVA DIO.

Toriel- Muriel Bagge from Courage The Cowardly Dog

The only real complaints I have for the game is the text speed. If you don't press X, it moves way too slow, but if you do, the entire text gets revealed in a swoosh when I only want it to move faster plus that you risk skipping dialogue.

The other is that the game really needs a boss rush mode. I want to be able to play all the different final bosses at anytime.

If Toby Fox won't do it then fans can easily made mods for this, right?

I believe a feature like that heavily conflicts with the narrative, but if you'r so inclined,
all you have to do is go into Appdata -> Local on your PC and just copy and replace the files there to create pseudo save states. In addition there's Flowey's Time Machine which helps facilitate this. It devalues the emotional impact for me, but it's there if you want it.

daevious

Undyne - Laura Bailey, specifically her Kainé voice.

I feel that Undyne needs to have the most "badass anime heroine" voice possible because it makes half the jokes around her even better than they already are.

Bakkus

I believe a feature like that heavily conflicts with the narrative, but if you'r so inclined,
all you have to do is go into Appdata -> Local on your PC and just copy and replace the files there to create pseudo save states. In addition there's Flowey's Time Machine which helps facilitate this. It devalues the emotional impact for me, but it's there if you want it.
I can see that argument, however if you have already gotten all the endings. Then it doesn't really matter much does it?

And thanks for telling me how to kind of do that. There is a problem with me not using English on my computer so Appdata and Local might have somewhat different names in my language.

Saikyo

Toby opened a beta branch for Undertale on steam. If you had some problem playing on Windows or Mac go to "Properties>Beta>" and enter the code below and press "Check Code":

legendaryfartmaster

Tried to play a little, the only thing I noticed is the undertale logo on start and
blue attacks having a better color tone so colorblind people dont need to guess if its a blue or white attack
(its more problem on
Mettaton EX
battle I guess).

Source:
https://twitter.com/UnderTale/status/689622702638899200

Edit: There was another annoucement saying that the steam client beta somehow make undertale not boot for some people. So if played it before and now the game dont load...maybe its that.

Toby opened a beta branch for Undertale on steam. If you had some problem playing on Windows or Mac go to "Properties>Beta>" and enter the code below and press "Check Code":

legendaryfartmaster

Tried to play a little, the only thing I noticed is the undertale logo on start and
blue attacks having a better color tone so colorblind people dont need to guess if its a blue or white attack
(its more problem on
Mettaton EX
battle I guess).

Source:
https://twitter.com/UnderTale/status/689622702638899200
I eagerly await the news that the patch has a hidden side quest
to save Asriel.

I can see that argument, however if you have already gotten all the endings. Then it doesn't really matter much does it?

And thanks for telling me how to kind of do that. There is a problem with me not using English on my computer so Appdata and Local might have somewhat different names in my language.
Oh of course, it's just a person by person thing.

My knowledge of personal computer directories is amateur at best, but I believe it would still be a hidden folder under your User Name folder inside Users under the C drive. Sorry if that's not much help.

Tonight,
I got dunked on. Hard. Repeatedly. I managed to get pretty far into the 2nd part of the battle, but it's time for bed and to try to beat Sans again tomorrow, when I'm more awake.

sounds strange, but before all this i was secretly hoping we could be friends. i always thought the anomaly was doing this cause they were unhappy. and when they got what they wanted, they would stop all this.
and maybe all they needed was... i dunno. some good food, some bad laughs, some nice friends.
but that's ridiculous, right? yeah, you're the type of person who won't EVER be happy.
you'll keep consuming timelines over and over, until... well. hey. take it from me, kid. someday... you gotta learn when to QUIT.

End Game Genocide Theorizing:

The way he says "take it from me" makes me think that Sans might have had enough DETERMINATION to use the SAVE/LOAD function before losing will. Or maybe with the machine instead of with DETERMINATION, which might semi-function the same way.

Not

Banned
There's no way I'm going to do the Genocide Run after the golden ending.

Same. I could never do it. Glad I
never killed anything. I was always second guessing my actions towards the end though to make sure I got the perfect ending. Wish it was a little more straightforward.

This game was great. Wow.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Now genocide :D

Hah, after seeing the good ending and getting to know all these characters? Can't do it. I'll probably watch a youtube run of it :p

I was reading the wiki entry on sans yesterday, and dear lord
the attention to detail in this game is on another level. Apparently you can get a great amount of different 'judgements' from him if you face him near the end. The game even registers if you quit out during his dialogue, and gives another response if you tried something different. Like if you kill a few enemies after staying at lvl 0 before, he'll have a comment for that. There's also this easter egg where he dumps hot dogs on your head if you don't have room for them in your inventory... wow.

Still have to read up on everything, but to me sans seems like the deepest and most interesting character.
I love the little moments where his slacker and easy going demeanor changes to something more serious and even sinister. Like at one of the dinners he 'jokingly' threatens to kill you if you stray from the pacifist path. Seeing as how he's a boss if you continue killing, he has a pretty big dark side.

And how do you get the idea to name your skeleton character after the most used and ridiculed font... So many weird but amazing things in this game.

Sans is definitely fascinating, and there's still so much we don't know.

He's one of only three enemies who has colouration in their battle sprite (his eye) with the other two being Photoshop Flowey and Asriel, both of whom are utilising human SOULs at the time. It's established that monsters are generally black and white in battle due to the nature of their SOULs, which begs the question... What the hell is up with that eye?

If I am reading right about the beta patch

Toby removed everything about Gaster in the files

Intentional?
Dunno if that's true, but apparently
in Sans' secret room behind the house, you can now find a drawing of three people with "don't forget" written on the back.

Tizoc

So to get the Full Pacifict ending I gotta not attack or kill anyone, thus not gain any LV or EXP, and in addition I also got to
date Papyrus, Undyne and Alphys
That about right?

EDIT: Also why hasn't this release on X1 and PS4 yet @_@

Saikyo

Dunno if that's true, but apparently
in Sans' secret room behind the house, you can now find a drawing of three people with "don't forget" written on the back.

Its true, also there are new dialogue for burgerpants, mettaton annoys him with clothes and he is visited by the ice cream guy. Ship pandering?

NEO0MJ

End Game Genocide Theorizing:

The way he says "take it from me" makes me think that Sans might have had enough DETERMINATION to use the SAVE/LOAD function before losing will. Or maybe with the machine instead of with DETERMINATION, which might semi-function the same way.

He said he gave up on trying to go back, so that's probably what he meant when he said you should know when to quit. He accepted that he can't go back so he's dedicating himself to making sure that whoever does won't mess with the timeline too much.
So far the only monster that has showed incredible determination, Undyne, exceeded the moment of her death instead of going back.

Also why hasn't this release on X1 and PS4 yet @_@

While Toby probably has the funds for that now, the engine the game is built on doesn't seem to be the best and the game requires doing stuff that console manufacturers might not be totally OK with.

Lumine

I just started this for the first time. I'm already stuck with a question. :p
It's clear the game is giving me the option to fight and kill or to play nice and avoid killing. What's the recommend route for the first (and perhaps only) time? Also is it just the one or the other or is there a reason to take a route somewhere in between and only kill sometimes? :p

Maybe I missunderstood all those fan arts, so its because of the
new photo saying "never forget" from Sans lab then
?

I haven't heard anything about this but it'd be a really cool way to continue to handle it. If it's treating SAVEs / RELOADs / RESETs as narrative elements as well as story elements, and they are playing with the idea of being removed from the game world in the context of being cut from the game, maybe they will also play on the act of "patching." Sans is somehow aware of time resetting even if he doesn't have memories, maybe he's somehow aware that he's lost loved ones before to cuts and patches. Maybe he doesn't even know who, just that he hopes it never happens with Papyrus. And who knows! Maybe like Flowey taking control from the player, Gaster may take control from the creator. It'd be really interesting to see everything Toby is saying about patching and updating the game outside of bug fixes be part of the "augmented reality" game, and that Gaster's will to return is stronger than the creator to cut him.

I think it'd be an interesting performance piece. With Toby being casted in the game the way the Player is casted apart from the Player Character.

That being said, none of this may be happening and I might just be on a rant.

It's clear the game is giving me the option to fight and kill or to play nice and avoid killing. What's the recommend route for the first (and perhaps only) time? Also is it just the one or the other or is there a reason to take a route somewhere in between and only kill sometimes? :p

This is a hard question to answer. I'd say just do you. But I know time constraints and attention spans are a factor. I can tell you regardless of decisions, at the end of your first playthrough you should be eager for more if this kind of story works for you! So I guess there is no recommended first path. They will all be about the same amount of time and effort, so just tailor your own experience.

Oh, and it's not one or the other. Feel free to express yourself however you please.

Puruzi

Banned

I'd recommend not killing anyone if you aren't sure if you'll play it again.

Just play the way you feel like playing.

Top Bottom