• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Not

Banned
Totally a spoiler.
Her very first in battle dialogue is "As long as you're GREEN you CAN'T ESCAPE."

I just thought that meant you can't move the heart. Ugh. Maybe if she she had said "flee" instead I would've got it.
I spent SO LONG on this you guys, all because I didn't want to look it up.

Oh well, back at it. Hope there's not any other
tricky-to-impossible battles to figure out.

Well, I had fun this very evening getting a good friend's IBM PC110 to run Wizardry 7 DOS on Windows 95 with my buddies HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.

I think my brizzain might have been trained over the years to understand crazy puzzle logic and navigate not consistent documentation.

NEO0MJ

Your friend sounds like a real-life Chara, watch out if he starts asking for knives.

On the plus side he restarted the fight to spare her for real. On the other hand he already spared her before and restarted the fight just to see what would happen if he attacks her after she stops attacking him. That more Flowey, but then again there's a Flowey in all of us.

Just finished my final run of the game and beat
Sans
after about 40 tries. I now have an irrational hatred for lasers

Definitely one of the hardest boss fights I faced this year.

Haunted

So this must be some sort of photoshop, right?
tumblr_nx9584QQ2G1qcnz4oo1_1280.png

tumblr_nx9584QQ2G1qcnz4oo2_1280.png

Alright I gave up on genocide seeing I couldn't beat Undyne.

Youtubed the final boss and ending.

All in all I really like that this mode is a thing, but it's just too hard for me lol.

So I beat the genocide run about 8 hours ago and I still feel uneasy about the whole situation. That's definitely the sign of good writing but I don't like it.

I was gonna post a LTTP but I'm sure there are already plenty of those and will continue to be many more.

Goddammit. Goddammit, this game is so good.

I completely finished the True Pacifist experience last night, including walking backwards through every screen of the game, talking to every character, inspecting every object, saving at every point one last time and seeing how everything grew and changed. It was the most moving slow burn of a resolution I've ever had in a game. So often I complain about how quickly games wrap up, how I want to live for a bit in the world I've helped changed, see all my old friends one last time, and this is the first game to truly deliver on that. I can't begin to type everything I loved about the 10+ brilliant faux endings that come before finally reaching the "The End" screen. That you can only quit the game from there felt so appropriate.

But, goddamn. It really is something else. Subversive in so many ways. Effortlessly so. The whole thing seems effortless, in fact. It's brilliant, hilarious, moving, meta without seeming to try. It is a game that anyone can appreciate but regular gamers like us even more. The way it plays with your expectations of what a game (and an NES-style RPG) should be, and the way it weaves narrative, mechanics, and player agency together is unlike and above anything else before. The game is aware of your player-character but also you as a player in some truly inspired ways.

I've never played anything quite like it. And I'm so thankful I did.

Not

Banned
Damn there are some unmarked-ish spoilers in here apparently. Out until I finish my run (just reached
the Core hotel)

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
Hey guys, late to the party - but loving the game. I went through my first play pacifist, but got the neutral ending. Do I need to start the game all over to go through the True Pacifist method? Or can I just reload my current save, then just backtrack all the way through to get the sidequests done?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hey guys, late to the party - but loving the game. I went through my first play pacifist, but got the neutral ending. Do I need to start the game all over to go through the True Pacifist method? Or can I just reload my current save, then just backtrack all the way through to get the sidequests done?
If you didn't get any EXP/LV you can just backtrack.

Breads

Banned
Awesome thanks mucho

To simplify the sidequest thing all you need to do to initiate the pacifist ending is...

Have a date with Papyrus.

Hang out with Undyne until she um... decides to go to Papyrus's place.

Take the letter Undyne gives you and hand it to Dr Alphys and go on the date with her.

Alec

I finally got around to playing Undertale this weekend. After thoroughly seeing everything the game has to offer and delving as deep into the data mining subreddit as possible, I am left feeling empty.

It was so, so good. The soundtrack is maybe my favorite soundtrack of all time. I went in blind and I'm so glad I did. I'm going to miss the way this game made me feel.

tariniel

I just started my first ever run of this game. I'm only about an hour in, but I think I may have already messed up. I killed
Toriel, continued a bit to meet Sans and Papyrus, and saved near the chest. After I ended my session I googled Toriel and it looks like I could have spared her... is it worth starting the game over? I haven't spoiled any consequences of what killing or sparing might have, I just know that I didn't need to kill her.

Puruzi

Banned
I just started my first ever run of this game. I'm only about an hour in, but I think I may have already messed up. I killed
Toriel, continued a bit to meet Sans and Papyrus, and saved near the chest. After I ended my session I googled Toriel and it looks like I could have spared her... is it worth starting the game over?

If you're fine with playing the game again, don't reset. If you don't want to play through the full game again, reset.

tariniel

If you're fine with playing the game again, don't reset. If you don't want to play through the full game again, reset.

Thanks, I may end up playing through multiple times but I reset anyways. It only took 20mins to get to the same place and there was even some extra dialogue acknowledging what I did and that I reset... didn't expect that.

I feel like everything I read in the wikis implies only
Flowey, and by extension Asriel, Frisk, and Sans are aware of the SAVE and LOAD functionalities. This works pretty well until I considered ASGORE acknowledging he has previously faced Frisk x number of times. Even of subsequent playthroughs he continues to solemnly nod when you plead that he's killed you however many times. How aware is ASGORE of the hopelessness of the situation? He doesn't seem to acknowledge it after the final battle, though.

It'd make sense if he knew, being the king and possibly overlooking True Lab and Sans Lab, but it's weird that there is only one situation he seems to even mention it.

Saikyo

I feel like everything I read in the wikis implies only
Flowey, and by extension Asriel, Frisk, and Sans are aware of the SAVE and LOAD functionalities. This works pretty well until I considered ASGORE acknowledging he has previously faced Frisk x number of times. Even of subsequent playthroughs he continues to solemnly nod when you plead that he's killed you however many times. How aware is ASGORE of the hopelessness of the situation? He doesn't seem to acknowledge it after the final battle, though.

It'd make sense if he knew, being the king and possibly overlooking True Lab and Sans Lab, but it's weird that there is only one situation he seems to even mention it.

Some os these are just for some gameplay nods like Toriel saying that your face is like seeing a ghost if you killed her and reloaded or Undyne feeling like you were a distant friend if you befriended her and replayed the game again.

The only character who is fully aware of the resets/loads/saves are Flowey, Sans has some awareness but just know that "some" anomaly is happening (he says it in the first dialogues in his battle) but dont know that its save/reload like Flowey, there is a theory he knows how many times he killed you by frisk reaction every time you try to fight him again. Maybe Asgore just nods to you about the number of times he killed just so you can just fight already.

NEO0MJ

Maybe he doesn't want to mention it when there's no need for that? I mean most characters who know of the power to save/load only talk about it privately with you.

The only character who is fully aware of the resets/loads/saves are Flowey, Sans has some awareness but just know that "some" anomaly is happening (he says it in the first dialogues in his battle) but dont know that its save/reload like Flowey,

Still, he knows the gist of it, just not that it's a game related power. He knows that those who have it can turn back time and manipulate it. I do wonder what he did to try and fail to use it like he mentioned in his fight.

Hello,

First time Undertale OT poster, long time browser. I just wanted to add my voice to the many already here on just how spectacular this game is.

I started it before Christmas on a whim after reading briefly on the general groundswell of support all around the gaming culture. Beat it the following week with the neutral ending and was genuinely impressed by the charm, wit and talent that went into the game's story, characters, dialogue, gameplay and music. Just an overall great experience, and one of my favorites of 2015.

Although I knew about the other endings, I decided to take a break and try to beat some other 2015 games like Metal Gear and Tales from the Borderlands (also great!), but something kept drawing me back to thinking about Undertale. I was browsing this thread, browsing the subreddit, reading the details behind characters, watching fan theory videos and (minorly) spoiling things for myself that I could discover in other playthroughs.

Then I decided to pick it back up last week and armed with new knowledge (both about the story and gameplay), go for the True Pacifist ending. I finished that up yesterday and... Wow. The true pacifist ending took an already amazing game and brought it to a higher level. Giving me all new insights into the characters and history of the world and leaving me both enamored and a little heartbroken at the events that transpired. That truly took this game from one of my favorites of last year, to one of my favorites of all-time.

I can't get this game out of my mind. I'm listening to the soundtrack on loop while at work (skipping the Genocide-ending tracks so I can hear them fresh when I finish my Genocide run, which I just started and can't help but feeling like a complete scumbag while playing), and spending my time continuing to dive into people's opinions, theories and stories about this game.

Bravo, Toby Fox. You have created a masterpiece. Undertale is truly one of the most valuable pieces of art in gaming history. One that shows the power of the medium and its unique form of storytelling.

poutmeter

Then I decided to pick it back up last week and armed with new knowledge (both about the story and gameplay), go for the True Pacifist ending. I finished that up yesterday and... Wow. The true pacifist ending took an already amazing game and brought it to a higher level. Giving me all new insights into the characters and history of the world and feeling me both enamored and a little heartbroken at the events that transpired. That truly took this game from one of my favorites of last year, to one of my favorites of all-time.

Although
Asriel being the true identity behind Flowey was apparent beforehand, the True Pacifist ending was still so emotional as you save the world one soul at a time
. I'm glad I got to start the game without knowing much about it; it kept catching me off guard with how charming and funny it could be.

Good luck on your Genocide run, you monster. I actually prefer this route over the others and think more people should play it instead of watching someone else do it. It's a great experience, despite making you feel like crap.

Just about to start this after all the recommendations. Should I use keyboard or controller?

I've played with both (depending on if I was too lazy to find/plug in my Xbox 360 controller into my PC). I think dodging enemy attacks is easier with a controller, but you can still do fine with a keyboard.

Toriel says ASGORE could leave with just one soul and collect 6 more... how does she propose that? Just... like... wait at the hospital? Maybe I'm not kidding... I can't tell.

NEO0MJ

Toriel says ASGORE could leave with just one soul and collect 6 more... how does she propose that? Just... like... wait at the hospital? Maybe I'm not kidding... I can't tell.

She probably meant that he could have gone out, killed a few humans and came back to destroy the barrier, instead of waiting for someone to come.

This reminds me of something that's been bugging me. In the pacifist ending with all the monsters out how are they going to stop some from absorbing human souls? Unless there's only a few humans on this planet it feels like it should be a big concern.

poutmeter

This reminds me of something that's been bugging me. In the pacifist ending with all the monsters out how are they going to stop some from absorbing human souls? Unless there's only a few humans on this planet it feels like it should be a big concern.

I think regular monsters that haven't absorbed a soul yet are just not powerful enough to kill people -we already have a little kid kicking their butt left and right. If it were that easy, monsters would've won the war years back just by getting a hold of a few souls. I mean, Asriel would have been able to eliminate a whole village with the help of a single soul.

I think it's worrying, though, having monsters roam free when their newfound hope was born out of the promise of human destruction.

NEO0MJ

I think it's worrying, though, having monsters roam free when their newfound hope was born out of the promise of human destruction.

In the pacifist ending Frisk won over most monsters and when talking to them a lot seemed indebted to you. Even a fanatic monster supremacist, Undyne, was won over. And you don't have to kill a human yourself to get their soul. I wonder if humanity developed a way to safely dispose of Souls as a precaution. That's one thing I'm actually curious about, how humanity advanced in this world.

poutmeter

In the pacifist ending Frisk won over most monsters and when talking to them a lot seemed indebted to you. Even a fanatic monster supremacist, Undyne, was won over. And you don't have to kill a human yourself to get their soul. I wonder if humanity developed a way to safely dispose of Souls as a precaution. That's one thing I'm actually curious about, how humanity advanced in this world.

Most of the monsters seem like a peaceful bunch. The only one I truly worry about is Muffet... I wonder how she's going to handle the humans and their fear of spiders.

Top Bottom