• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Lumine

Ah, so killing sometimes will have its own results too? That's great to know! I'll probably just take the middle path then and kill whenever I feel like it rather than forcing myself to play it a certain way. Thanks guys. :)

PSqueak

Banned
Ah, so killing sometimes will have its own results too? That's great to know! I'll probably just take the middle path then and kill whenever I feel like it rather than forcing myself to play it a certain way. Thanks guys. :)

Basically, altho there are 3 paths, there are more than 3 endings, since the neutral path gives you different endings depending how much and who you kill. We're talking about like 10 endings on the neutral path.

Puruzi

Banned
you get the middle path even if you don't kill anyone first, you just don't have to replay the game to get the extra stuff

Shamdeo

blooky3v2srv.gif

Gah, I had something unsettling happen. Gameplay and story spoilers ahead.

I began a Genocide playthrough yesterday fully wanting to experience the Sans and Undyne fights. Already in the beginning in didn't feel right, I had no real joy (that's the point, I know) and it wasn't all that fun. So I spared Papyrus and continued a neutral playthrough, still fighting whatever came up but not going full massacre mode.

I guess some unconscious part of me was feeling awful since I dreamed something gut wrenching the night after. My dream self was at home, doing regular homey stuff and decided that he needs to throw the trash. However, when I looked into the trash bag to see if it's full or not I saw a ton of paper cut-outs in the form of Undertale monsters I killed, a lot of them cut in half and bloody. Which was especially creepy given how the actual battle sprites look like paper cut-outs. It was a legit horror show.

Despite liking the characters I was never really emotionally attached to them... But fuck me if I didn't shiver a few times the morning after.

Kangi

I began a Genocide playthrough yesterday fully wanting to experience the Sans and Undyne fights. Already in the beginning in didn't feel right, I had no real joy (that's the point, I know) and it wasn't all that fun. So I spared Papyrus and continued a neutral playthrough, still fighting whatever came up but not going full massacre mode.

I guess some unconscious part of me was feeling awful since I dreamed something gut wrenching the night after. My dream self was at home, doing regular homey stuff and decided that he needs to throw the trash. However, when I looked into the trash bag to see if it's full or not I saw a ton of paper cut-outs in the form of Undertale monsters I killed, a lot of them cut in half and bloody. Which was especially creepy given how the actual battle sprites look like paper cut-outs. It was a legit horror show.

Despite liking the characters I was never really emotionally attached to them... But fuck me if I didn't shiver a few times the morning after.

You thought you were above consequences.

mbpm1

You felt your sins crawling into your dreams

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
Appreciation for final boss spoilers:

Can I just share how much I love the Asgore's fight mechanics? Particularly his eye blink --> trident sweep attack. It feels so good when you dodge all attacks, especially when he's low HP and he swings faster and more.

9-2681.gif
so goooood....

Can I just share how much I love the Asgore's fight mechanics? Particularly his eye blink --> trident sweep attack. It feels so good when you dodge all attacks, especially when he's low HP and he swings faster and more.

9-2681.gif
so goooood....

I love the song that plays during his fight, Spider Dance is still #1 though.

"Aww, what an adorable, happy game this is."

*walks into
True Lab.

m9TxLQa.gif
One of my favorite miss able moments there is the
what happens when you examine the beds.

The latest PBS Idea Channel video is about whether Undertale is more violent than most games where violence is the only form of interaction. The idea being that since violence in Undertale is a choice it's ultimately more meaningful.
Good vid.

Weirdly enough, the next recommended video was The Defense Of Comic Sans.

poutmeter

It seems the new patch adds a few extra things to the game, which is the perfect excuse to play the game for the nth time.

so goooood....

I mistook
Asgore's down-turned face for a menacing grin for the better part of the fight. Imagined him looking like this:

I was promised a big, fluffy pushover!

WHERE YOU GUYS AT WITH ALL THESE CHANGES IN THE NEW UPDATE. There is some big lore stuff added yesterday. Here are the screen caps here:

SPOILERS added to Update 1.001.

It's a lot lot lot more than just color blindness tweaks. There is new stuff in
Sans Workshop,
new stuff about
Suzy,
and all the FUN value manipulation happens naturally.

Theres stuff linking Sans to Alphys in the Lab, Implications that Papyrus also has a Gaster Blaster, a picture of 3 smiling people in the drawer in the Lab, updates in the Dev Hidden Door, and more.

Saikyo

Theres stuff linking Sans to Alphys in the Lab, Implications that Papyrus also has a Gaster Blaster, a picture of 3 smiling people in the drawer in the Lab, updates in the Dev Hidden Door, and more.

Just because Papyrus said
blasted
is kinda forced to say
he has gaster blaster
but thanks for the link with all the changes.

Just because Papyrus said
blasted
is kinda forced to say
he has gaster blaster
but thanks for the link with all the changes.

I just don't see a purpose for adding the dialog at all if not to support something. Also it only happens during an abandoned geno run. But who knows.

I think its just toby trolling us :p
but ok, it kinda makes sense.

It's hard to tell. I don't know if these are these he had implied, if these are things he poking fun at fans with (though that seems like an interesting use of resources hahaha,) or more similar to HomeStuck where the creator actually used community ideas and incorporated them.

Toby was involved with HomeStuck so who knows. I kind of hope its a mix of 1 and 3. It's nice thinking the creator always accounted for things but I'm sure that'd be a pretty tall order.

Anyway. I love watching this kind of stuff. It's a weird AR game after you've completed the game.

Saikyo

Strange, about the link with images of v1.01, they didnt tried to talk to
burgerpants
? Someone saw
he had new dialogues

I beat Genocide last night...

Thank God for Megalovania!! I'd say Sans took somewhere around 40 tries, and when I'd screw up early in the battle I just gave up and started over again, but that music was so awesome I was happy to hear it start over again every time. Then, when I finally beat Sans, I got that heavy wave of regret after my brief spark of relief. Stupid feelings.

Also, after talking to Flowey and Sans at the end of Genocide and finding out the true nature of Saves and Resets, did anyone else feel weirdly bad about all the games they saved and restarted in the past? Here I thought the people of Hyrule and Midgar would go on living peaceful lives, and they would have.... had I not started the games over again.

I guess the lead heroes of all games are the ones with the most determination.

Thank God for Megalovania!! I'd say Sans took somewhere around 40 tries, and when I'd screw up early in the battle I just gave up and started over again, but that music was so awesome I was happy to hear it start over again every time.

So, after talking to Flowey and Sans at the end of Genocide and finding out the true nature of Saves and Resets, did anyone else feel weirdly bad about all the games they saved and restarted in the past? Here I thought the people of Hyrule and Midgar would go on living peaceful lives, and the would have.... had I not started the games over again.

And yet you continually bring them back to Ganon's Regicide and Midgar's Collapse.

You're really kind of a freak, aren't you?

PSqueak

Banned

Thank God for Megalovania!! I'd say Sans took somewhere around 40 tries, and when I'd screw up early in the battle I just gave up and started over again, but that music was so awesome I was happy to hear it start over again every time. Then, when I finally beat Sans, I got that heavy wave of regret after my brief spark of relief. Stupid feelings.

Also, after talking to Flowey and Sans at the end of Genocide and finding out the true nature of Saves and Resets, did anyone else feel weirdly bad about all the games they saved and restarted in the past? Here I thought the people of Hyrule and Midgar would go on living peaceful lives, and they would have.... had I not started the games over again.

Technically speaking, that speech only works for games
with only one save file, unless you overwite.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Oh man! This game hasn't left my head after I beat it. Did you guys get this too? I'm listening to the ost at work, reading the wiki... This game struck me like lightning.

Oh man! This game hasn't left my head after I beat it. Did you guys get this too? I'm listening to the ost at work, reading the wiki... This game struck me like lightning.

Yup. Deep wiki dives, forum scrolls, tumblr checks, OST jamming. I love this kind of speculation post game. It's my favorite part of the MGS & Souls games, and now Undertale joins that club.

I've done similar dives in Chrono Trigger & Cross but honestly there isn't the same mysterious intrigue. Everything is there. Everything that could have been hinted at like this was just text dumped before the final boss of Cross... I'd love to have seen that game made in this day & age with these story telling mechanics. Cross had so many good ideas but clearly their editor went on vacation and they just jammed it into optional dialog.

DNAbro

Hah! It's only been one month for me but... yeah... it's been tough to care about other games and other... stuff in general that's not Undertale since it worked its magic on me.

I still play and enjoy other games obviously, but I do check the undertale subreddit and this thread frequently.
And also the 4chan threads but whatever.
Oh and I listen to the music pretty much whenever I am working which is often.

I'm expecting for Undertale to not be as prominent in my thought space once more Persona 5 news comes out.

poutmeter

Prepare to hum the song for the unforeseeable future.

It's been days and I still feel really guilty about killing the heroes of the game... at the same time, I'm glad I played the Genocide route myself, getting my own hands dusty. The Pacifist route -and the neutral endings- are great, but cutting down those who took over the role of saving the world is really something else.

However, I do have that one save file where everyone is chilling out on the surface and Papyrus is trying to drive around the world in eighty days.

It's been twenty days now and I'm still listening to the OST, reading up on the latest fan theories and doodling the cast everywhere.

I still play and enjoy other games obviously, but I do check the undertale subreddit and this thread frequently.

I've tried. I beat Metal Gear Solid V after the first time I beat Undertale, which held an extremely unsatisfying conclusion. I've been trying to get into Witcher 3, but the world, story and characters just seem so... traditional and uninteresting after Undertale. It reflects a mirror on other games that magnify their cliches and weaknesses.

I also agree that I'm expecting/hoping the same wave of obsession hits for Persona 5.

I've tried. I beat Metal Gear Solid V after the first time I beat Undertale, which held an extremely unsatisfying conclusion. I've been trying to get into Witcher 3, but the world, story and characters just seem so... traditional and uninteresting after Undertale. It reflects a mirror on other games that magnify their cliches and weaknesses.

I also agree that I'm expecting/hoping the same wave of obsession hits for Persona 5.

Yup. I loved MGSV, but narratively it was something else. I liked it, but it just didn't leave me thinking like other games had. That's what I loved about the series. Same with Souls and now Undertale. I love the intentional involvement with the players. Kojima laying a master trailer with little hints, Undertale continuing to support it's dedicated fanbase, Souls requiring community databases to piece together the entirety of it.

Pieces of art like this bring people together, and have a lasting fun long past the hours you put into the game. Not to mention every example I gave is something you can't get anywhere else. There is nothing like MGS, there is nothing like Undertale, there is nothing like Souls.

There is a voice in all of these. I hope we get more and more things like this. Not just wacky for wacky sake, but having auteurs like Koji, Toby, Miyazaki, SWERY, etc etc etc.

Forgive some of my incessant posting, I am excitable and all. Feel free to engage of not, I just need a place to type stuff out and see if it sticks with others too. It kind of helps me.

Toriel kind of betrays her "Perfect Angel Goat Mom" status when she condemns Asgore for his plan. Yeah, she's essentiall chastising him for ever trying to harm children, but she's also chewing him out for not taking just one, leaving, collecting six more, and returning.

Honestly it sounds like she's upset at his lack of will, not that he ever committed a murder... just that he didn't commit it fast enough. He twiddled his thumbs and she left.

I'm getting mixed messages. Don't kill these poor children, but go out and collect six souls outside of the barrier? Is there a peaceful soul extraction? Like... borrowing one from the terminally ill? Also, if he had left wouldn't he have attempted another war? He may be cowardly and subjecting his subject to a miserable life, but isn't it for the greater good of everyone?

Hm. Maybe Toriel is just short sighted.

mbpm1

Forgive some of my incessant posting, I am excitable and all. Feel free to engage of not, I just need a place to type stuff out and see if it sticks with others too. It kind of helps me.

Toriel kind of betrays her "Perfect Angel Goat Mom" status when she condemns Asgore for his plan. Yeah, she's essentiall chastising him for ever trying to harm children, but she's also chewing him out for not taking just one, leaving, collecting six more, and returning.

Honestly it sounds like she's upset at his lack of will, not that he ever committed a murder... just that he didn't commit it fast enough. He twiddled his thumbs and she left.

I'm getting mixed messages. Don't kill these poor children, but go out and collect six souls outside of the barrier? Is there a peaceful soul extraction? Like... borrowing one from the terminally ill?

She condemns his indecision bc by not taking action he prolongs the suffering and hopelessness of the Monster race.

I like that it's a chink in her armor. Nobody is all that perfect except for Papyrus.

I imagine they probably could take from the ill, but how would they get to them? The souls of humans are so strong that even a little kid could defeat the toughest monsters that exist.

Saikyo

You are excited by the game, no problem. Bonus points you post new content or interpretations.

I'm getting mixed messages. Don't kill these poor children, but go out and collect six souls outside of the barrier? Is there a peaceful soul extraction? Like... borrowing one from the terminally ill? Also, if he had left wouldn't he have attempted another war? He may be cowardly and subjecting his subject to a miserable life, but isn't it for the greater good of everyone?

Like you said he could have just waited near a hospital, get some souls, gone back and free everyone. But yeah maybe a mere sight of a monster by humans in that world could mean the same end that Asriel suffered so that could be another reason he didnt gone with that plan.

Asgore choose the worst way but that doesnt mean he is evil. He just lost two sons in one night like Toriel and made a mistake saying he was going to free everyone (I guess before that the monsters had no problem being stuck in the underground forever).

I imagine they probably could take from the ill, but how would they get to them? The souls of humans are so strong that even a little kid could defeat the toughest monsters that exist.

"Asgore this is a stealth mission, take 6 souls without warning anyone and come back"

She condemns his indecision bc by not taking action he prolongs the suffering and hopelessness of the Monster race.

I like that it's a chink in her armor. Nobody is all that perfect except for Papyrus.

I does strike me odd that if this game does have a real moral center, it's Papyrus. The skeleton who wants to act tough but wouldn't really hurt a fly... but he might capture one.

I though Toriel's anger at Asgore was about his lack of conviction. He wanted to find a way to fill monsters with hope, but didn't want to go through the trouble or pain of hunting humans to collect souls. So essentially he's lazy and promising false hope, waiting until humans actually land in his lap and killing them more out of pure obligation than any desire to actually help free the monster race.

So it's gotten Toriel to the point of hiding fallen humans from Asgore, forcing him to either stand up and fill his promise of freeing the monsters by going through the barrier or to find another way.

poutmeter

Hm. Maybe Toriel is just short sighted.

I didn't take it as Toriel approving of Asgore's plan to break the barrier by collecting the souls of those who fall to the underground, but condemning him for not following through and taking matters into his own hands after rallying up the monsters against humanity. Asgore was all talk and no action, turning the monsters against humans to grant them hope but then unwilling to actually go out there and free his people -he merely waited in his castle for the next unfortunate soul to meet its end.

Toriel doesn't want to harm the humans, instead she patrolled the ruins and kept an eye out for anyone who had fallen from the surface. All her actions (protecting you from Flowey, guiding you through the puzzles, providing shelter, blocking your path, etc) are made to protect the humans until they force her hand by wanting to go home. If she was keen to break the barrier and free the monsters, she could've just handed the fallen ones to Asgore.

Another thing, in the neutral endings where Toriel still lives, the first policy she declares is treating humans as friends and no enemies as Asgore had dictated. That doesn't always go so well with the monsters, but it shows she has no interest in harming humans or harvesting their souls.

If Asgore took that first soul, he probably would have been able to remaining six without an issue. Asriel said he had enough power to destroy the whole village when all he had was Chara's soul.

DNAbro

I does strike me odd that if this game does have a real moral center, it's Papyrus. The skeleton who wants to act tough but wouldn't really hurt a fly... but he might capture one.

I though Toriel's anger at Asgore was about his lack of conviction. He wanted to find a way to fill monsters with hope, but didn't want to go through the trouble or pain of hunting humans to free them. So essentially he's lazy and promising false hope, waiting until humans actually land in his lap and killing them more out of pure obligation than any desire to actually help free the monster race.

So it's gotten Toriel to the point of hiding fallen humans from Asgore, forcing him to either stand up and fill his promise of freeing the monsters by going through the barrier or to find another way.

that's basically how I took it as too. Asgore doesn't want to kill humans, he does so out of obligation and hopes that no humans drop down cause then they have to die. To me Toriel was angry about the fact that he doesn't want to kill humans, yet does so anyways but so half assed he ends up needing to kill kids who drop down rather than actually going out and freeing everyone.(which would have been a huge conflict in itself)

The situation is complex and it's hard to say anyone is right in it.

Top Bottom