• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

hmm, while I was browsing forums on this game, I think it was either on steam or starmen.net, I heard that pirating the game actually makes the game set it myself back to the beginning right before the final neutral boss. Don't know if it's really true, but that'd be crazy funny if they actually did make it to where people who pirate get cut off right when the game goes bonkers
Man, now I'm thinking of all the trolling potential for a pirated copy of this that Toby could have gone with.

JC Sera

Well its what Earthbound did
I think its been proven false though

especially seeing as you can buy a drm free version
Can anyone recommend some twitch streamers who played through the game? I want to see some reactions to
sans fight and the crazy flowey monster
Dodger was pretty great for this

Permanently A

Can anyone recommend some twitch streamers who played through the game? I want to see some reactions to
sans fight and the crazy flowey monster

Rule 34 people took a liking to this game it seems. Christ lol

I had no doubt that would happen the moment Toriel showed up

BzRRCuJ.png

Maximo

Dam TobyFox turned 24, im 22 and when he was 21 he was already making this game and now has finished it...I feel like I have accomplished nothing in comparison haha.

Dartastic

Do you mean selecting the "dinner" command? That's the way you're supposed to do that one, I think.

As long as you don't gain any EXP ever you should be fine.
Hem. I'll have to see if I have any exp. I hope I don't. If I do, I'm not that far in. I can start over.

Edit: 0 EXP. Level 1. Still good for a pacifist run I guess?

dickroach

the core is kicking my ass in the pacifist playthru im doing now. getting close to just watching it on youtube :\

also, has anyone posted this yet?
tumblr_nw4p8iCRjf1tmxnw2o1_r1_500.gif

source

KC Denton

Hem. I'll have to see if I have any exp. I hope I don't. If I do, I'm not that far in. I can start over.

Edit: 0 EXP. Level 1. Still good for a pacifist run I guess?

EXP increases with everything you kill so you're good for pacifist.

Also, beat this game over the weekend with the
true pacifist ending
. Undertale is amazing and I can't stop thinking about it but I'm probably never going to play through it again because of that ending.

Dunkley

VJvOGps.png

I love Toby's (TF) handling of this game. He's really keen on not making any official statements of the themes to the game just so people can interpret what they want out of it without any official Word of God saying otherwise.

Javier

I downloaded this game yesterday and played the whole intro. Got past the first boss and...
I couldn't find a way to get past Toriel without killing her. I done goofed?

NotLiquid

I downloaded this game yesterday and played the whole intro. Got past the first boss and...

You goofed.

Some of the stuff the frogs tell you about battles is a hint on how to beat her (and many more enemies later on) as a pacifist.

I would recommend to just play all the way through first and to go for a pacifist run on a second attempt
to get the true pacifist ending

Status update, my mom seems to be enjoying it well enough. I had to play the fight with
Papyrus
for her - she's always had a problem juggling different actions, so it was hard for her. She does pretty well on the regular battles though. She thankfully finds the dialogue funny, but gets impatient if dialogue goes on for too long. She doesn't skip it, but she definitely goes very quickly through it (she can process dialogue with only a very small amount of time to do so).

I think it's fair to say that you should stick with it.

But if you don't want to do that, just read the spoilers below.

Spare over and over and over.

Dunkley

She tells you how to spare her right when you fight the dummy.

Stall for time.

Corpekata

Banned

It's an incredibly common thing for a first time run I'd wager. Don't sweat it. The game is flat out better without trying to do a specific run at the start.

MrHoot

Apparently toby is (slowly) working on a japanese version of the game ! Sure that the japanese public will probably love it, although I wonder how will he translate some of the puns and references :eek:

Javier

Thanks for the responses.

I'm gonna keep going with my first playthrough and if any enemies have requirements that are too obtuse to figure out I'll just kill it. I'll leave the Pacifist run for the next run.

Not that it matters too much, but the first negative review went up today from Kill Screen. The dude seems to have particularly taken issue with the fact that
the game isn't 100% obvious on how to save Toriel
as his main criticism.

(Also, scores are generally pointless, but it says a lot about the acclaim Undertale's been getting that this review alone knocked the Metascore down two points.)

Puruzi

Banned
I honestly don't understand how people don't understand how to spare Toriel. The frog literally spells it out for you. As soon as it said that talking wasn't the solution, I instantly started hitting spare because there were no other options besides fight or flee, and I knew you didn't have to fight her, and fleeing would prevent you from leaving

This is really damn good.

I'm going to have to do a Death by Glamour cover one of these days.

Not really a remix, but there's this thing :

https://youtu.be/jZXvScellKY

Not that it matters too much, but the first negative review went up today from Kill Screen. The dude seems to have particularly taken issue with the fact that
as his main criticism.

(Also, scores are generally pointless, but it says a lot about the acclaim Undertale's been getting that this review alone knocked the Metascore down two points.)

that's pretty bullshit, games are not supposed to hold your hand (only toriel can, haha), plus whn you try to spare her the dialogue box change everytime so i'ts still obvious... and it's tied to a true ending, true ending aren't always easy to get

In my first playthrough i didn't watch anything about the game, so i didn't bother, i tried to reduce her life and spare her (like it was possible with regular ennemy), and the game trolled me a lot... I just continued playing like this, sparing and killing!

Then i did the genocide ending, and then the true ending, it was still amazing

Weiss

Banned
Started a new playthrough and decided to try a bit of the Genocide run before resetting. It made me realize that the game emphasizes at length that you should not to kill any enemies. The rule of any other RPG is gaining EXP by killing enemies, but Undertale allows and encourages you to find peaceful resolutions right from the start.

You have to want the monsters dead.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
as his main criticism.

I don't like the fact he put up some really spoilery screenshots near the end of the review. He doesn't even seem to have finished a neutral run, much less a badtime one, and he posts that? :/

(I think the reviewer's a bit off-base with this one, to be honest. He doesn't even seem to realize that
killing Toriel hasn't affected whether or not he has to fight. Asgore isn't going to let up on you in either case.
)

EDIT:
I killed Toriel when I originally played the demo, for what I think were two main reasons:
1) One of the frogs mentioned that monsters don't want to fight when they're weak. I thought I just had to whittle down her health bar, and then I could maybe SPARE her. And even if that wasn't the case, I thought:
2) I didn't expect to actually kill her. I thought that she'd just let up when her health bar was depleted, and I'd go along my merry way, having proved my strength.
-I'm not sure if the frog that tells you you can SPARE monsters without yellow names is in the demo. If they were, I probably forgot that they said as much. :v

Anyways, I'm pretty sure the critical hit you deal at the end of the fight's meant to catch anybody who went for option one. Then you reset, and try again, and Flowey calls you out.

I don't like the fact he put up some really spoilery screenshots near the end of the review. He doesn't even seem to have finished a neutral run, much less a badtime one, and he posts that? :/

(I think the reviewer's a bit off-base with this one, to be honest. He doesn't even seem to realize that
killing Toriel hasn't affected whether or not he has to fight. Asgore isn't going to let up on you in either case.
)

Yeah, I made the same mistake he did in my first playthrough and didn't feel like the game had pulled the rug out on me or anything; it just made me want to replay it even more. And the title of "neutral" ending makes it sound worse than it is, even once you're on that track things out 99% okay as long as you're not killing everyone.

NotLiquid

I honestly don't understand how people don't understand how to spare Toriel. The frog literally spells it out for you. As soon as it said that talking wasn't the solution, I instantly started hitting spare because there were no other options besides fight or flee, and I knew you didn't have to fight her, and fleeing would prevent you from leaving

By the time I got to Toriel I had a little bit of reservation in regards to how far the combat system actually "goes" so to speak. It's true that you have to be a little attentive the first time to things leading up to the battle to realize the solution to beating it. It was only around the halfway point I started to realize I wasn't doing things the right way but it threw me for a complete curveball by
putting the scripted crit in the mix. It was at that point I felt like the game basically told me "so that's the way it's going to be? Alright then, let me make it easier for you."

It was such a mindfuck moment and I felt god awful. In a way I'd call it incredibly subversive as far as combat mechanics go. Even though I didn't really "get" how to fight her though, I didn't look down upon the game as much as I did myself for not yet fully realizing what this game was getting at.

And the game chastising me for looking for that better solution was a moment I truly won't forget. It was only then I realized how special this game was going to end up being.

But yeah - it not being obvious is a pretty ridiculous complaint. Flowey even makes it a point that it's "kill or be killed" and that reasoning yourself out of a fight was not going to be the easy way out in spite of being a possibility. Even setting aside the clues the game throws at you the reviewer just doesn't seem to have paid attention to how the run shapes out based on your choices.

Puruzi

Banned
I've been digging "Uwa!! So Temperate" lately but can't remember where it plays for the life of me.

I don't think any of the Uwa songs actually play ingame. Might just be soundtrack bonuses. I definitely don't recall hearing any of them while I was playing

Top Bottom