• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

dity

Eh, circular speculation doesn't have much staying power for me unfortunately. I have the soundtrack on our iPod and will play hard mode if it ever gets patched in, but otherwise it's just how it is for me.

Seems Mother/Earthbound inspired. Is anything lost upon playing it without having ever played Mother/Earthbound?

No.
To elaborate a bit: The main thing the game has taken from the Mother series is the quirkiness and the style, particularly the humour, and the aspect of a serious story layered underneath the adventure of a child, and the very bright and whimsical looking visuals.
There's some very subtle nods to the series, but they're no direct references or anything.

PK Gaming

So I played Undertale...

[insert account about impossibly wonderful and subversive experience HERE]

Yep

Gonna go for the true end now

Seems Mother/Earthbound inspired. Is anything lost upon playing it without having ever played Mother/Earthbound?

As a Mother fan, I would definitely say no. While Undertale may be inspired by the Mother series, it honors those games through the pursuit of its own vision. Some games place their inspirations on a pedestal in a way that ends up stifling their potential, and Undertale's refusal to do that is one of its greatest strengths. While Earthbound and Mother 3 remain two of my favorite games of all time, I have to admit that there are certain aspects in which Undertale trumps both.

kurona_bright

Neo Member
I think when it comes down to it, it's all the fanart and the mashups that keep me hooked. The lore stuff is fun to think about, and talking about the game's messages are fun, but dang, there are some wonderful comics and art that this community has produced.

That isn't to say that Undertale hasn't dropped down in terms of the brain matter it's occupying. Which is a good thing, because I was obsessed with it the week I finished the game. About a month later, it's faded down into something manageable.

But I have to say, playing Undertale and then The Beginner's Guide within a month of each other was kinda of a one-two emotional punch I might never be able to replicate.

CCS

Banned
I have to say, it's been a long time since I've played a game so good at drawing people in. I played Undertale after watching my flatmate play through the Snowedin section, and I've since recommended it to a couple of my friends and they're both obsessed now too. What a lovely game.

Dunkley

Another Medium and Core slow are the slow versions I hate the most. Snowdon is the only one I find decent.

That's actually really interesting since I see a lot of people echo that CORE is the only worthwhile Genocide theme.

What do you think of Waterfall?

https://soundcloud.com/icebrigade/shit-gets-incredibly-real (SPOILERS)

Jojo's Bizarre Undertale
really noisy

Genocide Run:
On that note I have to say how impressive it is that Sans managed to last that long against Frisk's Stand

Cowie

I have to say, it's been a long time since I've played a game so good at drawing people in. I played Undertale after watching my flatmate play through the Snowedin section, and I've since recommended it to a couple of my friends and they're both obsessed now too. What a lovely game.

Yeah, this game garners the kind of word of mouth that really spreads like wildfire. I picked it up the week it came out and the only other person who had it on my friend list was a kickstarter backer. Now less than a month later, 11 friends have it and it's on 2 wishlists.

... okay, so I bought copies for four of those friends, but the rest are just from the natural spread of enthusiasm!

DNAbro

Only finished all the runthroughs a few days ago but completely agree, I can't think of the last game in recent memory that has left this long of a lasting impression on me, maybe Persona 4 Golden. There have been plenty of games that I loved since then but rare does a game come around that keeps clinging on my conscience, defiantly one of a life changing experience for me in gaming.

Persona 4 Golden was the last time I felt like this about a game too. Can't get it out of my mind.

It's really nice to see LPers pick up the game. There's some nice value to having the game kind of being niche, but not compared to the value of it getting out there and becoming a mainstream indie darling.

About dates:
If you kill someone Undyne will not date you, then, there are conditions for Papyrus to not date you? On a pure neutral run you still can date him?

From how I understand it,
the only way for you to not be able to date Papyrus is to kill him, or just not go on the date with him. It might be impossible to date him after you defeated Undyne, though, I haven't tried that.

Weiss

Banned
I just had a really depressing thought about Asgore.

If you die while fighting him and restart you can tell Asgore he's killed you, and he seems to understand what you're talking about. It's possible that not only has Asgore killed the previous six humans, but he had to kill them each multiple times until they finally gave up and stayed dead.

Dunkley

I just had a really depressing thought about Asgore.

If you die while fighting him and restart you can tell Asgore he's killed you, and he seems to understand what you're talking about. It's possible that not only has Asgore killed the previous six humans, but he had to kill them each multiple times until they finally gave up and stayed dead.

All Runs Spoiler:
I don't think he remembers however, rather that he is aware of the concept. In that light, it must be even worse for him considering he doesn't even know how many times they tried before staying dead.

That is however if they had the choice themselves to go back. Since your DETERMINATION tops Flowey's, he is no longer able to SAVE and RESET, so with that in mind and assuming the person with the highest DETERMINATION is the only that can control the timeline, it means unless Flowey was incapable of doing so too when the other humans fought and died to Asgore, it could have been just as much Flowey resetting for them just so they can suffer more.

After all, Flowey knows they'd remember it if he resets them just so they can die again.

Weiss

Banned
All Runs Spoiler:
I don't think he remembers however, rather that he is aware of the concept. In that light, it must be even worse for him considering he doesn't even know how many times they tried before staying dead.

That is however if they had the choice themselves to go back. Since your DETERMINATION tops Flowey's, he is no longer able to SAVE and RESET, so with that in mind and assuming the person with the highest DETERMINATION is the only that can control the timeline, it means unless Flowey was incapable of doing so too when the other humans fought and died to Asgore, it could have been just as much Flowey resetting for them just so they can suffer more.

After all, Flowey knows they'd remember it if he resets them just so they can die again.

From what I understood, Determination is a human skill, excluding certain monsters getting pushed to their limits like Undyne, or whatever Sans' deal is, so Flowey would be instantly topped by any human who fell in, whereas Flowey was an attempt to artifically create a being with Determination.

Dunkley

From what I understood, Determination is a human skill, excluding certain monsters getting pushed to their limits like Undyne, or whatever Sans' deal is, so Flowey would be instantly topped by any human who fell in, whereas Flowey was an attempt to artifically create a being with Determination.

Genocide Run Spoilers:
However, that prompts the question as to why Flowey feels to point out that he couldn't load his save anymore after you came around and that somehow your determination is even bigger than his.

Then again however, I still think you are right. After all, he also talks about wanting to steal souls, so it would make sense he couldn't have resetted in the time any humans fell in or otherwise he would have fucked shit up a long time ago already instead of letting the souls get captured by Asgore just for them to be out of his reach.

Fireblend

Banned
So I'm ready to start playing this. Is it recommended that I do a blind playthrough first and then a second one to get the best ending, or should I just look up the best/true ending's requirements somewhere and follow those instead? Is there a recommended order?

Ferrio

Banned
So I'm ready to start playing this. Is it recommended that I do a blind playthrough first and then a second one to get the best ending, or should I just look up the best/true ending's requirements somewhere and follow those instead? Is there a recommended order?

First playthrough you get a certain ending regardless of what you do.

However, if you do not kill anyone in your first playthrough, you don't have to fully play through the game again. If you don't mind doing that, kill at your leisure. :)

This god damn game.
I've never had a videogame make me reluctant to reset my save file before. I don't wanna ruin my pacifist ending dang it

Fireblend

Banned
However, if you do not kill anyone in your first playthrough, you don't have to fully play through the game again. If you don't mind doing that, kill at your leisure. :)

Eh, I've heard the game isn't that long, so playing through once to get a feel for it and then going for the true ending sounds good enough to me.

Dimmle

There's a gratifying element to playing True Pacifist after breaking a few eggs in Neutral but yeah, no wrong way to go about it.

So one thing I absolutely love about the soundtrack is how there's leitmotifs in almost every single track.

My absolute favourite one is Pacifist spoilers
the very subtle mixing of Alphys' theme into the music of the True Lab.

When I noticed that I was cursing toby fox's magnificence.

This is legendary

i don't know, something tell me your opinion is biased on this one... not sure what... mmmh

image.php

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Got some ideas for some Muffet drawings I might do later. Pretty much just thought about the game and played some songs in my head while I worked this weekend.

Hugstable

Banned
Also, someone made a "what if" video of what would happen if you pirated the game, pretty funny :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIaByZsbMPA

hmm, while I was browsing forums on this game, I think it was either on steam or starmen.net, I heard that pirating the game actually makes the game set it myself back to the beginning right before the final neutral boss. Don't know if it's really true, but that'd be crazy funny if they actually did make it to where people who pirate get cut off right when the game goes bonkers

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
hmm, while I was browsing forums on this game, I think it was either on steam or starmen.net, I heard that pirating the game actually makes the game set it myself back to the beginning right before the final neutral boss. Don't know if it's really true, but that'd be crazy funny if they actually did make it to where people who pirate get cut off right when the game goes bonkers

Well if it does that's another good Earthbound/Mother 2 reference!

JC Sera

Spoilers Ahead:
I can't figure out the piano puzzle in waterfall.
That one you can easily look up. However if you want a more natural progression:
If you manage to become friends with Undyne, backtrack & call her in that room later.

Spoilers Ahead:
I can't figure out the piano puzzle in waterfall.

That one is quite tricky:
Nearby, there's a statue in the rain. If you give it an umbrella, a tune will start playing, which you have to put into the piano. However, don't feel bad if you can't figure it out, music puzzles always are rough if you're not musically inclined.

If you can't figure it out:
Z Up Right Z Down Down Right

JC Sera

That one is quite tricky:
Nearby, there's a statue in the rain. If you give it an umbrella, a tune will start playing, which you have to put into the piano. However, don't feel bad if you can't figure it out, music puzzles always are rough if you're not musically inclined.

If you can't figure it out:
Z Up Right Z Down Down Right
I thought it was Shyren's Song, not the Statues?
Edit: nvm I'm wrong

A question for people who beat it:
What's up with that suit of armor that's getting rained on? I put a umbrella over it.

The spoiler-tagged conversation just before your post does in fact have exactly that as a topic. ;)
Edit: Oh nvm, I misunderstood. I thought you were asking what the purpose was game-wise. Yeah, JC sera has you covered plot-wise.

JC Sera

A question for people who beat it:
What's up with that suit of armor that's getting rained on? I put a umbrella over it.
Neutral end spoilers:
Its a memorial for the King & Queen's lost son. The song it plays is the same as the one that plays when the monsters explain his story

megalowho

So one thing I absolutely love about the soundtrack is how there's leitmotifs in almost every single track.

My absolute favourite one is Pacifist spoilers
the very subtle mixing of Alphys' theme into the music of the True Lab.

When I noticed that I was cursing toby fox's magnificence.
Agreed, it really elevates the soundtrack. The more I dug into the tracks the more the recurring themes and melodies became apparent, it's very well thought out and put together. My current favorite is the escalation from
Ghost Fight to Dummy! to Spider Dance
. When the chorus hits in that third track it's so good, whether you remember it explicitly from before or not.

Top Bottom