• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

I just finished this for the first time and I have some questions.

I was at level 5 before the final fight, killed Toreil because I didn't understand how not to, and probably one or two other random monsters. Spared Mettaton. Tried to spare Asgore after whittling down his health, but then Flowy killed him and did his whole thing, which was a real mindfuck. Tried sparing Flowy in the end several times but it didn't let me. Sans said in the credits that Undeyne took after and made things all militant.

Was that the bad ending? Was it too late to try and spare Asgore? What effect did killing Toreil have? To do a second playthrough, do I just reset my file? How do I spare Toreil?

That was the neutral end.
You gotta spare Toriel and kill no other monsters to get the pacifist ending. Then reload and finish some sidequests for the true ending

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I would really suggest not playing his Earthbound hack, it's the work of a much younger man and it's filled with what's basically edgy bullshit. It has its moments, but he's a far different developer than when he started out.

If anyone's looking for a new grid view image:

21480093533_0784fc59d6_c.jpg

Gyossaits

Banned
I just finished this for the first time and I have some questions.

I was at level 5 before the final fight, killed Toreil because I didn't understand how not to, and probably one or two other random monsters. Spared Mettaton. Tried to spare Asgore after whittling down his health, but then Flowy killed him and did his whole thing, which was a real mindfuck. Tried sparing Flowy in the end several times but it didn't let me. Sans said in the credits that Undeyne took after and made things all militant.

Was that the bad ending? Was it too late to try and spare Asgore? What effect did killing Toreil have? To do a second playthrough, do I just reset my file? How do I spare Toreil?

Do not kill. Ever.

Start over. And that was one variation of the neutral ending.

DNAbro

Apparently the game sold over 100,000 copies which is insanely awesome. Game truly deserves great sales. I wonder how much Toby thought it was going to sell.

Just beat the game. Really amazing, especially the last boss. I got a neutral ending, although I thought it was actually pretty positive.

I'm going for a pacifist run next since the game bascially tells you too, but I do have a question: I leveled up a bit during my first run and still found the game super hard, am I gonna have a real bad time trying to beat it without leveling at all?

Dimmle

Just beat the game. Really amazing, especially the last boss. I got a neutral ending, although I thought it was actually pretty positive.

I'm going for a pacifist run next since the game bascially tells you too, but I do have a question: I leveled up a bit during my first run and still found the game super hard, am I gonna have a real bad time trying to beat it without leveling at all?

Nah, Pacifist is actually a bit easier since most non-violent resolutions are quicker than the violent ones. There will be some rough spots but you'll be fine if you learn enemy patterns. Have a good time!

As long as you keep a healthy supply of healing items, you should be just fine.

DNAbro

Just make sure to stock up on items and try and find better armor. And if you get far and truly can't beat some of the bosses.
There is a special armor you can get by having 1000 gold and going to Temmie Village hidden in Waterfal, and sending the Temmie running the shop to college(lol). The armor at first costs 9999 gold I think but every time you die the price goes down.

Just make sure to stock up on items and try and find better armor. And if you get far and truly can't beat some of the bosses.
There is a special armor you can get by having 1000 gold and going to Temmie Village hidden in Waterfal, and sending the Temmie running the shop to college(lol). The armor at first costs 9999 gold I think but every time you die the price goes down.

I never found that place during my playthrough

MrHoot

So after someone pointed it out on /vg/, I looked up the definition of "Doggo" on google

Undertale has deepest lore indeed

Weiss

Banned
I want to replay this game.

Then
Flowey begged me not to ruin everyone's happy ending.

I don't think I have the heart to do a No Mercy run.

TWILT

Banned
Soo, I just bought the OST off Steam because the music's too rad, but I can't seem to find it? Where am I supposed to be looking...? I tried "playing" the game again, but still can't seem to find it.

Also (post-Pacifist spoilers)
Didn't know Flowey appears when you start the game again to tell you as the player to leave Frisk and everyone else happy and in peace and not reset everything. Damn, now I really don't wanna play the game again anytime soon. x_x

MrHoot

Soo, I just bought the OST off Steam because the music's too rad, but I can't seem to find it? Where am I supposed to be looking...? I tried "playing" the game again, but still can't seem to find it.

Also (post-Pacifist spoilers)
Didn't know Flowey appears when you start the game again to tell you as the player to leave Frisk and everyone else happy and in peace and not reset everything. Damn, now I really don't wanna play the game again anytime soon. x_x

When your mouse hovers your Library menu in the top left, you should have a music option, should be in there I think ?

wamberz1

Then

It made me feel so bad that I decided to do my no mercy run on my other computer, just so the world I saved could be spared.

it's in the game's directory (Steam > SteamApps > common > Undertale)

Dimmle

Soo, I just bought the OST off Steam because the music's too rad, but I can't seem to find it? Where am I supposed to be looking...? I tried "playing" the game again, but still can't seem to find it. [/SPOILER]

I had the same problem. It'll be in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\UNDERTALE. You'll need to make hidden files visible in order to see AppData by clicking the View tab and checking the option. It should be called "UNDERTALE Soundtrack" or something like that.

EDIT: or maybe that's wrong

SOLDIER

Don't suppose anyone found a way to have the game automatically start fullscreen?

It's not the end of the world but I would appreciate the convenience.

dLMN8R

I just spent 2 hours obsessing over the game's Wikia and watching various endings on YouTube. So good!

(But also happy I didn't spend 10+ hours replaying the game multiple times to see things for myself!)

After finishing a true pacifist run, I just can't fathom that this was all made by one guy + a few artists. I kind of expected most of the game, assets and story to be the work of mostly one person but I'm shocked that the music was made by the same person. This is some of the catchiest stuff I've ever heard, something I expect out of a full time composer or something.

kurona_bright

Neo Member

Then

Then don't! It's not like you have to. :)

@Twilt
As for the soundtrack, I think it's downloaded to where the game files are. Try looking in your steamapps folder.

Also, Toby has been composing music for ages. Maybe you've heard of something called Homestuck?

dity

Unfortunately, Undertale isn't having as much of a lasting impression on me as I'd have hoped. The shortness of the game is coming back to kick it in the knees, especially after I've started playing another game already too.

It's a fun game to talk about, but unfortunately there's not much to talk about. The thread's basically just people asking about endings. And the lore has been discussed to death. I'm not even sure there's much more to the whole Gaster thing.

1upsuper

I feel like Undertale has actually really stuck with me weeks later. I still spend a lot of time browsing forums and listening to the music. I started playing LISA and even when I'm engrossed in that, Undertale still nags at my conscience. It's been quite a long time since last this happened to me.

bounchfx

I feel like Undertale has actually really stuck with me weeks later. I still spend a lot of time browsing forums and listening to the music. I started playing LISA and even when I'm engrossed in that, Undertale still nags at my conscience. It's been quite a long time since last this happened to me.

same here. i think about it pretty much every day still

Maximo

Only finished all the runthroughs a few days ago but completely agree, I can't think of the last game in recent memory that has left this long of a lasting impression on me, maybe Persona 4 Golden. There have been plenty of games that I loved since then but rare does a game come around that keeps clinging on my conscience, defiantly one of a life changing experience for me in gaming.

DigtialT

Exactly the same with me. I finished it last Saturday, but I've been thinking about it everyday since. Heck, Tumblr has basically just become my "Undertale Fan-Art" Machine. It's nice to log on first thing after my morning classes and see all the new art posted, keeps me in the universe still. Now all I need is for the FanFiction to catch up and I'll be set.

Top Bottom