• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

The Hermit

So now that we have this sales, I am wondering what other game is similar to Undertale, about tone and surprising gameplay.

I played Lisa before Undertale and while it had the Earthbound-esque gameplay it was too morbid and depressing. OFF is another game people mention but its more similar to Lisa than undertale.

GAF, I need help.

I have no healing items and I am bad at dodging. Strugginl at
Muffet
right now. Can I go back to a vendor or something ? Can't remember if there is one.

Edit: Nvm. Backtracking wasn't that bad at all.

Finished it! Impressions time! It's long and late and I can't write short normal easy to read sentences edition:

It might have taken me three months to finish this 10 hour game, but I'm glad I did. I bought Undertale shortly after launch when I heard all the positive reception, but took some large breaks in the middle because it wasn't really catching me. Knowing it was likely to be spoiled in Giant Bomb's GOTY discussion podcasts filled me with determination to finally finish this game.

I completed the neutral ending two days ago, watched the genocide ending on youtube (you caught me, Flowey) and completed the pacifist one today. After finishing the neutral ending, I was a little disappointed. Ending the game with a bossfight whose nature and motivations I didn't fully understand, and a phonecall from Sans explaining how everything was still okayish was underwhelming to me. I had enjoyed the world, the characters, the gags and the music (the music!) up to that point, but the end having so little payoff (to me) soured me a little on the whole experience. I understood why people loved Undertale, but not why they did so intensely.

Now, after having seen the genocide and pacifist endings, I get that too. Fortunately, I had spared everyone in my initial run (because I didn't want to kill cute monsters, but also because figuring out how to spare each monster was more fun and interesting than attacking them), so I could immediately enter the pacifist route. Boy did I get the payoff I was looking for! I Seeing all these friends (who were much dearer to me after watching a genocide run) band together in support, experiencing the reveals about how the world is how it is, and fighting one of the hypest boss battles since Asura's Wrath, all of this made me appreciate the game so much more. That one hour of play made the whole of Undertale for me.

I think I would have enjoyed the game more if the story beats that intrigued me were more present throughout the game, rather than tucked away in two optional endings. I would have liked to see things like the history of characters like Flowey, Asriel, Chara, Sans, the nature of concepts like souls, determination, SAVEs, and foreshadowing of the bleak sides of the world to appear earlier. There is something to be said for considering the neutral and pacifist endings as one complete ending, but seeing the credits roll after killing Flowey and turning off the game for two days really killed the momentum for me. You could also argue that the game doesn't need to show it's dark side and is better off commiting to it's whimsy instead.

Despite that small complaint, I'm glad to have experienced this game, and thankful to those that pushed me to play it. It's one of the most memorable games is recent memory.

Lastly, I have one question: does the game itself ever refer to the first human as Chara, and if so, where? If not, how do we know his default name is Chara?

Lastly, I have one question: does the game itself ever refer to the first human as Chara, and if so, where? If not, how do we know his default name is Chara?

Chara's name is whatever you named the Fallen Child at the start of the game. In the files Chara's model is "Chara" and if you put your name as Chara at the start it says "The True Name"

Chara's name is whatever you named the Fallen Child at the start of the game. In the files Chara's model is "Chara" and if you put your name as Chara at the start it says "The True Name"

I see, so the game never calls him Chara (unless you call yourself so)? I was wondering why the wiki refered to him as Chara because I couldn't quite remember if I saw that name pop up in the game or not. Thanks!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It might be me reading fanon theories too much but I think that is implied that there's a third entity too, with the third entity being YOU.

So now that we have this sales, I am wondering what other game is similar to Undertale, about tone and surprising gameplay.

I played Lisa before Undertale and while it had the Earthbound-esque gameplay it was too morbid and depressing. OFF is another game people mention but its more similar to Lisa than undertale.

I've recommended Hallow's End, which is a Halloween romhack that does have a cute premise, real monsters, new item descriptions, and loads of neat details. Also eldritch gods.

It has some problems, the initial trick or treating segment will more or less require the supplied map to get through without aimlessly wandering around for what house did you miss ahhhhhh. And there's a certain segment that feels a bit muchly like Chrono Cross, but it is mercifully short in a hack that's just one crazy premise after another.

It's not the Toby "Radiation" Fox Halloween Romhack but really that one's sensibilities can be summed up as "PSI Bitchkill Omega". So, don't expect anything that tonally has much to do with Undertale.

I see Fox took down the original site for that hack a few months ago so I guess he's moved on since then.

Acerac

Banned
Yeah. Apparently I just ruined my run by
Killing Mettaton too early? She judged me as not evil enough despite killing everything I had seen to that point. The spawn rate to that point was crappy, I didn't know it'd be run over at that point.

Dunno if I just want to watch the rest of the run being done on youtube or what. Pretty frustrated right now, though it was my fault for saving afterwards. Not a clue what I was thinking there.

Yeah, played through the game again, passed where I was. It really didn't take that long.

Oh. So this is what "A bad time" entails.

I see.

Ludens

Banned
So, I just completed the game for the first time, and I think I never saw an ending like this. It totally breaks the forth wall in an unusual way, I simply loved it.
Plus I NEED to replay the game, because the first time you play it...
well, it seems I played it totally wrong. Pacifist run is the next goal.

Only one question: if I select Continue, the game just reloads before the final fight, so I presume I should reset my game?

Antiwhippy

So, I just completed the game for the first time, and I think I never saw an ending like this. It totally breaks the forth wall in an unusual way, I simply loved it.
Plus I NEED to replay the game, because the first time you play it...
well, it seems I played it totally wrong. Pacifist run is the next goal.

Only one question: if I select Continue, the game just reloads before the final fight, so I presume I should reset my game?

From
Neutral? Have you killed anyone? If not, just go back. You should have a phone call, though I can't remember which room it activates.

Ludens

Banned
From
Neutral? Have you killed anyone? If not, just go back. You should have a phone call, though I can't remember which room it activates.

Umh, what do you mean? I received a
message from the flower, saying if I play without killing anyone, he will spare the King. And yup, on Neutral.
But if I select Continue, I'm right in front of the boss door.

Just started playing today, I just left the Ruins. So far I've killed nothing, though I
had to reload after accidentally killing Toriel. I thought I had to smack her about a bit before I could spare her, but she lost her second half of health in one hit. Clever that Flowey called me out on that.

Will that affect a pacifist run at all?

Also, is going for a pacifist run on a first playthrough a good idea? After that
Toriel
fight, I'm wondering if always having so little HP will become incredibly frustrating. Some of the attacks were really hard to avoid, and I had to use several healing items.

DNAbro

Just started playing today, I just left the Ruins. So far I've killed nothing, though I
had to reload after accidentally killing Toriel. I thought I had to smack her about a bit before I could spare her, but she lost her second half of health in one hit. Clever that Flowey called me out on that.

Will that affect a pacifist run at all?

Also, is going for a pacifist run on a first playthrough a good idea? After that
Toriel
fight, I'm wondering if always having so little HP will become incredibly frustrating. Some of the attacks were really hard to avoid, and I had to use several healing items.

No it will not effect the pacifist run. The game just wants to call you out on your actions. The funny thing about the Toriel fight is that at a certain health point she will stop trying to hurt you and will actively miss her attacks. For future parts make sure to to look around for armor and make sure to stock up on items. Also a bit later on you will find some weapons that other effects other than damaging and will make it a bit easier

Holy shit; these skeletons and their puzzles are making me genuinely laugh out loud. The humour and writing in this game is on fucking point.

EDIT: Lost it at
"You and the other monsters ditched Jerry when he wasn't looking".

Mudd

Just beaten my second playthrough and got the
Pacifist ending
after the Neutral one.

It was really a shocking and incredible experience. Everyone should play this game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I'm missing something. Been playing for 80 minutes and just made it through the first proper "town" area. It's cute, but the humor has been lost on me for the most part. Feels like it relies extremely heavily on non-sequitur humor and, unfortunately, it's really falling flat for me. Maybe I'm too cynical or something. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the battle system, either. I'm finding it more frustrating than endearing, honestly.

I like the music and visual style a lot, at least!

Is there a big turning point or incredible moment that sucks a lot of people in after this point in the game, or does it more or less continue on as it has been?

DNAbro

I feel like I'm missing something. Been playing for 80 minutes and just made it through the first proper "town" area. It's cute, but the humor has been lost on me for the most part. Feels like it relies extremely heavily on non-sequitur humor and, unfortunately, it's really falling flat for me. Maybe I'm too cynical or something. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the battle system, either. I'm finding it more frustrating than endearing, honestly.

Is there a big turning point or incredible moment that sucks a lot of people in after this point in the game, or does it more or less continue on as it has been?

I do think it does get better as it goes along but there is no one turning point. The game is made up of little memorable moments that build up overtime.

Ferrio

Banned

Get to the first boss then come back to us.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Get to the first boss then come back to us.

I feel like I've already experienced a couple of boss fights...

Is it pretty obvious that it's a boss fight? Where abouts does it take place?

Saikyo

If you are already in
snowdin
and not feeling the game then stop playing it : \

Ferrio

Banned
Isn't
Toriel
the first boss? If he's in/done with
Snowdin
then he's definitely past that

I don't consider it the first boss.

I'd say Papyrus is the first boss. Toriel is still tutorial mode. Papyrus is the first time things get real. The blue attack is a big turning point and sets the theme for all future bosses

I feel like I've already experienced a couple of boss fights...

Is it pretty obvious that it's a boss fight? Where abouts does it take place?

Just keep going a tiny bit more.

I've just
met up with Sans in the restaurant
; how much do I have left? I did read that it was quite a short game.

To be honest, I feel like it's gota bit weaker as it's went on. Still good, but I'm getting really tired of the
lava
area.

Zefah, if you're not feeling it after the first major boss (you'll be given a second phone number immediately afterwards, if you're unsure), then maybe quit.

Antiwhippy

I've just
met up with Sans in the restaurant
; how much do I have left? I did read that it was quite a short game.

To be honest, I feel like it's gota bit weaker as it's went on. Still good, but I'm getting really tired of the
lava
area.

Zefah, if you're not feeling it after the first major boss (you'll be given a second phone number immediately afterwards, if you're unsure), then maybe quit.

Near the end of the first playthrough, but about halfway if you want to experience what makes this game special.

Got the
Neutral ending
and was given a hint as to how to get the
Pacifist ending by Flowey
, and I'm going for that now.

Absolitely lost my shit when
Papyrus excused himself to use the bathroom and threw himself out the window. That was completely out of nowhere.

PBalfredo

A bit LTTP considering how much this game is right up my alley, but I just started up and subsequently beat it yesterday. It's something special, for sure. I completed the pacifist route.
Funny thing playing a game that's influenced by EarthBound's ending sequence while on Steam: the rapid fire forced-quits and restarts from the Photoshop Flowey fight meant I had steam friends who could tell what part of the game I was at and started steam messaging me during the sequence. It's both surreal to see the steam chat box comment during that sequence that said "it's okay", "it's just a bad dream", " from which you will never wake". It's also highly appropriate that I was able to pound out quick calls for help between bullet hell sequences and get a little "<3" show up in the corner of my screen.

I've completed the game, got the true pacifist ending, but I got the twinge of wanting more growing inside of me. However, I am filled with DETERMINATION to let the game lie. When I finished the game the idea of turning around and doing a genocide run did not sit with me at all, and the way Frisk remembers the number of times she dies to Asgore already got me thinking down the path that the game is aware of your actions outside of your current "life". After confirming that the genocide path
does remember that you did the pacifist route before it and restarting actively undoes all the good you've done in your previous run, I'm dead set on not exploring the genocide run. While it means less Undertale for me, one of the parts that I love about the game is how it explores and recognizes the oddities of doing 100% completion for the sake of it, even when it's actively against the morals you've set for yourself in what would otherwise be your "canon" run. I love that the game builds that into itself, even though the very nature of doing so actively discourages me from exploring this game top to bottom like I do with other games I love. Can't have my cake and eat it to, so time to go and boot up my Xmas copy of Fallout 4. Maybe in the future I'll revisit the game again, but I can tell you right now it's going to be another pacifist run. Until then, thanks Undertale, and goodbye!

Ferrio

Banned
A bit LTTP considering how much this game is right up my alley, but I just started up and subsequently beat it yesterday. It's something special, for sure. I completed the pacifist route.
Funny thing playing a game that's influenced by EarthBound's ending sequence while on Steam: the rapid fire forced-quits and restarts from the Photoshop Flowey fight meant I had steam friends who could tell what part of the game I was at and started steam messaging me during the sequence. It's both surreal to see the steam chat box comment during that sequence that said "it's okay", "it's just a bad dream", " from which you will never wake". It's also highly appropriate that I was able to pound out quick calls for help between bullet hell sequences and get a little "<3" show up in the corner of my screen.

I've completed the game, got the true pacifist ending, but I got the twinge of wanting more growing inside of me. However, I am filled with DETERMINATION to let the game lie. When I finished the game the idea of turning around and doing a genocide run did not sit with me at all, and the way Frisk remembers the number of times she dies to Asgore already got me thinking down the path that the game is aware of your actions outside of your current "life". After confirming that the genocide path
does remember that you did the pacifist route before it and restarting actively undoes all the good you've done in your previous run, I'm dead set on not exploring the genocide run. While it means less Undertale for me, one of the parts that I love about the game is how it explores and recognizes the oddities of doing 100% completion for the sake of it, even when it's actively against the morals you've set for yourself in what would otherwise be your "canon" run. I love that the game builds that into itself, even though the very nature of doing so actively discourages me from exploring this game top to bottom like I do with other games I love. Can't have my cake and eat it to, so time to go and boot up my Xmas copy of Fallout 4. Maybe in the future I'll revisit the game again, but I can tell you right now it's going to be another pacifist run. Until then, thanks Undertale, and goodbye!

If you can, atleast try to watch a play through of it. It's very different, and some of the best character moments.

PBalfredo

If you can, atleast try to watch a play through of it. It's very different, and some of the best character moments.

I likely will do that. I've already watched the sans and Undyne the Undying battles. Just looking through some of the posts in this thread I picked up that there are a lot of small details and dialog changes sprinkled about. Anyone got good links to a playthrough that highlights the differences without an overbearing voiceover?

I likely will do that. I've already watched the sans and Undyne the Undying battles. Just looking through some of the posts in this thread I picked up that there are a lot of small details and dialog changes sprinkled about. Anyone got good links to a playthrough that highlights the differences without an overbearing voiceover?

I think this video covers all the differences.

Massive spoilers, obviously.

Edit: doesnt actually cover
the changes to the pacifist ending if you do genocide first

Ludens

Banned
Just beat and date
Undyne in pacifist run. That scene is simply amazing.
But how many characters you can date?

I only did
Papyrus and Undyne.

Top Bottom