• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Capra

So you guys probably won't remember but a while back after first finishing on True Pacifist I said I could never do a Genocide because why would you, you don't need to see everything, blah blah blah...

GENOCIDE SPOILERS

ps997ve.png

Guess Flowey was right.

Weiss

Banned
Yep, I was insistent on never doing Genocide, but as I kept doing more playthroughs I eventually experimented more and more, killing more people each time, acting differently, all in the name of wanting to see what happens.

Consequently, what I find most interesting about it is that
I did the same thing as Flowey. He mentions that at first he used his powers to get a happy ending, but gradually did more and more depraved acts in the name of curiosity, until he eventually grew tired of the Underground and wanted to kill everything and end it all. What makes it worse is that not only was I killing characters I had grown genuinely attached to, I had stolen their happy ending away from them so I could do it.

TLDR I was played like a damn fiddle.

Finaj

You get so attached to the characters to the point where doing a Genocide run is not only tedious, but painful. Every part of the game discourages taking the genocide route and actively punishes you for doing so.

It's basically Toby Fox's "fuck you" to completionists. "You curious or just want to see all the content? You're gonna have a bad time."

It doesn't help that the route ends with a jump scare and basically no satisfaction for the player. It's a miserable experience.

Hence why I ended on True Pacifist and will probably never play it again(until I eventually replay pacifist).

I really hate the combat in this game so I'll likely never play through it all the way but I like the theme, dialog and such so would like to watch a playthrough at some point.

Anyone have any recommended playthroughs? Doesn't have to be no commentary as long as its' not obnoxious.

DNAbro

I really hate the combat in this game so I'll likely never play through it all the way but I like the theme, dialog and such so would like to watch a playthrough at some point.

Anyone have any recommended playthroughs? Doesn't have to be no commentary as long as its' not obnoxious.

Cryotic's playthrough is pretty fantastic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwPDQB0EVbY&list=PLeqwXTaiY-Oz7jlfV6MO9A9MW2K_e_ONF

He sees pretty much everything and isn't obnoxious.

Capra

You get so attached to the characters to the point where doing a Genocide run is not only tedious, but painful. Every part of the game discourages taking the genocide route and actively punishes you for doing so.

I actually tried it months ago, but gave up early on due to the encounter rate in Snowden. But honestly? I just got so bored that even grinding for innocents while browsing GAF was worth it just to get to the good parts - namely the Undyne and Sans fights.

I reset after beating Sans, because once you know what's coming why would you even bother with the Genocide ending? And honestly, that ending is the only one that really feels "definitive" to me, since even in the Pacifist route the player can always just decide to reset again. So while it's not worth it for the ending, it's definitely worth it just for that final fight if you like a challenge.

Now, aren't you curious to try it for yourself?

Capra

I know I can't fight Chara. So it's more like the smartest thing you can do is not even bother after that point and always have the final say over the game world.

He who fights and runs away, and all that.

Mik2121

I bought the game yesterday and started playing last night and a bit now. I got to the first boss and
damn I didn't know what to do, I was attacking her and accidentally killed her. Was so devastated I had to restart the game without saving, and when I fought her again and spoke to her, the game acknowledged I had killed her once but it was a nightmare or something
. Damn this game is great.

dock

A friend convinced me to keep playing the game, so spent a while unbreaking my save file, and I progressed a little further.

I'm now at the Undyne boss fight and I have no health items, because I wasted them all on the flurry of random battles in the next invisible maze area.

Do I now need to backtrack all the way to a shop, and possibly grind for more currency?

I wish I enjoyed watching games on youtube, but I don't. I would gladly pay money for cheats to let me progress in the story without wasting so much time with backtracking and bad battles.

dock

Does it count as wimping out if the bosses are just too hard for me? :(

No, it's pretty reasonable.

The bosses are pretty hard, and the game wastes a lot of the player's time with battle tricks, jokes and weirdly spaced checkpoints. A lot of people are struggling on the bosses not because of the bosses themselves and the slew of random battles to drain your resources.

FluxWaveZ

No, it's pretty reasonable.

The bosses are pretty hard, and the game wastes a lot of the player's time with battle tricks, jokes and weirdly spaced checkpoints. A lot of people are struggling on the bosses not because of the bosses themselves and the slew of random battles to drain your resources.

Benzychenz is talking about the Genocide run bosses. Normal and Pacifist run bosses are pretty much nothing compared to them.

I would say those who struggle with the normal run bosses are in the minority.

Finaj

Benzychenz is talking about the Genocide run bosses. Normal and Pacifist run bosses are pretty much nothing compared to them.

I would say those who struggle with the normal run bosses are in the minority.

Well, that's the whole point.
Sans is trying to make the player quit so they can't finish the genocide run and pass the point of no return.

FluxWaveZ

Well, that's the whole point.
Sans is trying to make the player quit so they can't finish the genocide run and pass the point of no return.

?

I didn't say anything counter to that, I was explaining how both posters were speaking of different things. It's not just
about Sans, either. It's also about Undyne the Undying. I would say Sans' strength is also more complicated than what you stated.

mbpm1

It's pretty obvious for people who played meta games or IWBTG but probably not so much for others. Especially if it crashed beforehand (I don't think Undertale does that though)

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
A friend convinced me to keep playing the game, so spent a while unbreaking my save file, and I progressed a little further.

I'm now at the Undyne boss fight and I have no health items, because I wasted them all on the flurry of random battles in the next invisible maze area.

Do I now need to backtrack all the way to a shop, and possibly grind for more currency?

I wish I enjoyed watching games on youtube, but I don't. I would gladly pay money for cheats to let me progress in the story without wasting so much time with backtracking and bad battles.

Go ahead and Flowey's Time Machine yourself out of it, if you want.

A friend convinced me to keep playing the game, [..]

I kind of wonder why, if you're not enjoying it.

Not to be harshing, but I think you've well passed the point where if you're going to enjoy the game, you've found something to like about it by now. The only thing that sticking with it is going to manage is have you hate yourself and the game even more for forcing yourself to play through it.

Like, this is why I don't force people to play the games I like. It's just, if you aren't having fun, and you're not paid for it, and it's not helping you with a life type matter, why keep doing it?

Maybe I'm just being dense here.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like undyne's fight is the most stg fan-friendly. There's no need to move your slow ass soul (much) and it's purely pattern recognition and reaction.

dock

I kind of wonder why, if you're not enjoying it.

Not to be harshing, but I think you've well passed the point where if you're going to enjoy the game, you've found something to like about it by now. The only thing that sticking with it is going to manage is have you hate yourself and the game even more for forcing yourself to play through it.

Like, this is why I don't force people to play the games I like. It's just, if you aren't having fun, and you're not paid for it, and it's not helping you with a life type matter, why keep doing it?

Maybe I'm just being dense here.

All fair points, and yeah, I give up at this point. My persistence stems from my having a very good time with some games that I initially had a bad time with, including Ocarina of Time and Oblivion.

I enjoyed the character parts, but Undertale simply buries itself in many of the worst aspects of RPGs, while purporting to subvert them. I hope Earthbound won't be so bumpy, but I'm now shelving plans to play that until Undertale Fever dies down in a year or two.

Said friend has offered to come over and play the game for me, so we're going to do that. :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well if you couldn't get through Undertale I think Earthbound will be a bit worse for you sans patching it to be easier. I found Undertale's combat way more enjoyable.
Also kinda amusing hearing your experiences with it and comparing it to VoidBurger's since Undertale is the only JRPG styled game she has enjoyed saying it takes out all the bad things about them. (It was also surprising seeing her make it to the CORE without dying which is something I hadn't even done.)

Ludens

Banned
Only a 20% off :(
I mean, I totally understand the reason the game has only a "symbolic" discount (if it sells well, why do I apply a deep discount? The game is good, so I want the sale, totally right), but as a customer I would have a 75% off so I can purchase it, it seems great.
Well, maybe during the next x-mas sale we'll see something similar.

Ludens

Banned
I mean it's a 3 months old game that's already incredibly cheap at full price anyway.

Eh, but I only buy digital titles at 75% off, excluding some RARE cases. Not because they are not worth the price, but because by doing this way, I can afford to buy multiple titles, otherwise I would be stuck with one or two games from time to time.

L95

Only a 20% off :(
I mean, I totally understand the reason the game has only a "symbolic" discount (if it sells well, why do I apply a deep discount? The game is good, so I want the sale, totally right), but as a customer I would have a 75% off so I can purchase it, it seems great.
Well, maybe during the next x-mas sale we'll see something similar.

The game's starting price is 10USD... I mean, I get wanting sales, but wanting the game to be sold for like 3 bucks when the games like three months old is.... like.... it's.... I can't think of the right words, but it's weird <.<

Ludens

Banned
The game's starting price is 10USD... I mean, I get wanting sales, but wanting the game to be sold for like 3 bucks when the games like three months old is.... like.... it's.... I can't think of the right words, but it's weird <.<

Umh, I already wrote I WISH it would be cheaper to play it now, not that the game should be that price. In fact if you read my post, I'm totally ok with the fact the game has only a little discount, because from a commercial point of view, the creator is doing exactly the same thing I would do. I'm totally ok to wait and play it next year, my backlog is huge and there's no reason to rush.

I just talked as a "fan" of the genre, I usually like Mother-like games and this one seems the best at the moment, but I purchased Lisa today so I have my "dose" for a bit :p

Fireblend

Banned
Eh, but I only buy digital titles at 75% off, excluding some RARE cases. Not because they are not worth the price, but because by doing this way, I can afford to buy multiple titles, otherwise I would be stuck with one or two games from time to time.

PM me your Steam ID and I'll gift it to you on Steam :)

Top Bottom