• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Ludens

Banned
PM me your Steam ID and I'll gift it to you on Steam :)

Lol, no thanks, Infinitenine did the same. But I really thank you too, I'll start the game as soon as I can (this means a couple of days, just let x-mas roll out). :)

Anyway, guys, I suggest you to play Boot Hill Heroes too, if you liked Undertale. It's not so "experimental", otherwise is very "classic", but the game is charming, similar to Mother and with an AMAZING soundtrack.
Also you can play it in local-coop.

CHC

So I think I'm one of the few people who just isn't really enjoying this game. I just got past the date scene with Papyrus, and I feel like I'm kind of going through the motions waiting for.... something to happen. I resolve all the battles peacefully, but the humor and characters don't really resonate with me at all, I feel like most of the time the jokes are just mildly funny, but then totally overstay their welcome and go too far.

I like other silly games like Jazzpunk and Crypt World, but this just kinda isn't doing it for me right now.

Should I keep going? Does it get better after a certain point?

demidar

So I think I'm one of the few people who just isn't really enjoying this game. I just got past the date scene with Papyrus, and I feel like I'm kind of going through the motions waiting for.... something to happen. I resolve all the battles peacefully, but the humor and characters don't really resonate with me at all, I feel like most of the time the jokes are just mildly funny, but then totally overstay their welcome and go too far.

I like other silly games like Jazzpunk and Crypt World, but this just kinda isn't doing it for me right now.

I think you're already past the point where you should be hooked. Others say they only loved the game after reaching the end.

Soooo I dunno.

Fireblend

Banned

I love this game, but I don't think you should keep going. The game had already clicked with me far before where you're at. I'd just stop.

CHC

I think you're already past the point where you should be hooked. Others say they only loved the game after reaching the end.

Soooo I dunno.

I love this game, but I don't think you should keep going. The game had already clicked with me far before where you're at. I'd just stop.

Yeah I got the Undyne fight and just gave it up, it's not for me. Haven't really enjoyed anything about the game other than the music, something about it just.... annoys me a lot. Oh well, too bad.

Illucio

Banned
I did the pacifist ending first and finished last night.

I was going to start the genocide playthrough but then I was guilt tripped into not doing it. D: Gosh darn it!

Elija2

So I just beat this game despite accidentally fucking myself over in the very beginning.

I couldn't figure out how to spare Toriel in the Ruins. I tried escaping from the battle but she just kept telling me to go upstairs which didn't seem to progress the story so I thought that I had no choice but to kill her. As soon as I did I knew that I screwed up but for whatever reason I decided not to reset. So I ended up going through the entire game without killing anyone except for Toriel, which meant I got a bad ending where Flowey popped up out of nowhere and reminded me that it's kill or be killed right before the game force quit. That really demotivated me to playing through the game again, plus I heard that the game is altered depending on the endings you previously got so I'm worried that I permanently screwed myself out of the something (I mean, I could always just delete the game's files, but still.)

plus I heard that the game is altered depending on the endings you previously got so I'm worried that I permanently screwed myself out of the something (I mean, I could always just delete the game's files, but still.)

Only the worst ending "permanently" screws yourself out of stuff. Don't worry, this game can and will show mercy. Particularly if you do.

Also you might be in for a surprise when you re-launch the game.
It hasn't ended yet!

This is not a major spoiler, It might help ease your mind that
you have to be a worse asshole than Flowey for there to be retribution. The best ending's always possible, as long as you aren't the coldest mother at every turn.

FluxWaveZ

So I just beat this game despite accidentally fucking myself over in the very beginning.

I couldn't figure out how to spare Toriel in the Ruins. I tried escaping from the battle but she just kept telling me to go upstairs which didn't seem to progress the story so I thought that I had no choice but to kill her. As soon as I did I knew that I screwed up but for whatever reason I decided not to reset. So I ended up going through the entire game without killing anyone except for Toriel, which meant I got a bad ending where Flowey popped up out of nowhere and reminded me that it's kill or be killed right before the game force quit. That really demotivated me to playing through the game again, plus I heard that the game is altered depending on the endings you previously got so I'm worried that I permanently screwed myself out of the something (I mean, I could always just delete the game's files, but still.)

Dude... no, you haven't finished the game. Just boot it up again.

This is not a major spoiler, It might help ease your mind that
you have to be a worse asshole than Flowey for there to be retribution. The best ending's always possible, as long as you aren't the coldest mother at every turn.

But this isn't true, if I'm understanding what you mean. If
Toriel dies, you're forced into a Neutral route. You have to spare EVERYONE for the Pacifist ending, or the "best" ending.

I'll repeat too that you can never, ever get the true pacifist ending on your first try.

Doing everything possible to show mercy will still put you on neutral, the only benefit is that you don't have to replay the game from the start and you can load from the last save to do what needs to be done to go pacifist, baby!

So yeah, don't trash your saves and game files just because you came close to completing the game with a few mistakes here and there. You'll probably want to hold onto that for when you want to give the true pacifist run a try, someday.

But this isn't true, if I'm understanding what you mean. If
Toriel dies, you're forced into a Neutral route. You have to spare EVERYONE for the Pacifist ending, or the "best" ending.

I'm talking about the "permanently screwed" twist to Genocide.

Flowey will
sass you for poor past decision making
, but that doesn't actually affect your ending. The genocide moments do.

EDIT THE SECOND: Being clear unlike my flu-filled head right now, I mean that who you kill does change your ending, but the only action that locks you out of getting the true pacifist ending with the happiest result in later playthroughs is the choice you make to get out of Genocide mode.

I think knowledge of that twist is scaring some people from experimenting with the game, and it really shouldn't. It's one decision, for the worst path, and it's clear that something bad will happen if you do that.

Elija2

Yeah, I've since rebooted the game and... well, that was something.

I'll repeat too that you can never, ever get the true pacifist ending on your first try.

Doing everything possible to show mercy will still put you on neutral, the only benefit is that you don't have to replay the game from the start and you can load from the last save to do what needs to be done to go pacifist, baby!

So yeah, don't trash your saves and game files just because you came close to completing the game with a few mistakes here and there. You'll probably want to hold onto that for when you want to give the true pacifist run a try, someday.

What do you mean by this? I thought that all you had to do to get the best ending is not kill anyone. Are there other criteria that need to be met as well?

What do you mean by this? I thought that all you had to do to get the best ending is not kill anyone. Are there other criteria that need to be met as well?

You need to
befriend Alphys, which isn't possible on your first play through no matter what you do.

There's actually a bit of intervention that happens that prevents you from doing this your first time, but it's easy to miss and only hinted at when you're clearly on the True Pacifist path, after the friending has occurred.

SPOILER HINT:
Check the wastebin next to Alphys' desk when you can return to her lab.

SPOILER:
It's strongly hinted at that Flowey is sending threats to Alphys, forcing her to go into hiding.

FluxWaveZ

I think knowledge of that twist is scaring some people from experimenting with the game, and it really shouldn't. It's one decision, for the worst path, and it's clear that something bad will happen if you do that.

Perhaps, but that's something for at least someone who's finished the game once to look into, while I think Elija2 is talking about the Pacifist ending only.

No, there are no other requirements. All you need to know is that there are 3 routes: Neutral, Pacifist, and Genocide. All you need for Pacifist is to kill absolutely no one, like you said. Genocide gets a bit more complicated, while Neutral is the one you are on.

There's also a hint dropped at the very end about what you need to do to go True Pacifist, if there's any remaining criteria that you haven't met and you really did try to stick with mercy options when possible.

The game's pretty good about guiding you where you need to go if you behave well.

Elija2

You need to
befriend Alphys, which isn't possible on your first play through no matter what you do.

To befriend her do you just have to be nice to her in all the dialog options or is there something special you need to do?

Also,
I still have no idea how to spare Toriel. I thought that you had to wait for her health to get below a certain point, but when her health gets too low she starts dying in one hit.

To befriend her do you just have to be nice to her in all the dialog options or is there something special you need to do?

Also,
I still have no idea how to spare Toriel. I thought that you had to wait for her health to get below a certain point, but when her health gets too low she starts dying in one hit.

Don't worry about the befriending thing. There's just an event that plays out when you look for it and do favors for boss type people.

What you say won't really have deep dark dire consequences. It's just like Life is Strange!
hey hey hey torches and pitchforks down, please! I see you fans in the back. ಠ_ಠ

Sparing is easy. Just don't attack, ever. Sometimes repetition actually does pay off.

Goddamnit, I tried that multiple times and the game literally tells you that talking isn't the solution!

As far as I know, you have to MERCY -> SPARE, not talk. It's very precise what action you need to take to advance dialogue in this fight.

This is one area where the hint the game gives isn't as explicit as it could be.

Sagroth

I've having a technical issue: the game keeps forcing my character to move to the right after time when control is taken from me, in the middle of combat, and at other random intervals. This when using a 360 controller(I've tried multiple ones and the problem remains the same, and is not an issue in other games). Is this a known issue? Any way to fix? it's gotten me killed on more than one occasion.

Elija2

As far as I know, you have to MERCY -> SPARE, not talk. It's very precise what action you need to take to advance dialogue in this fight.

This is one area where the hint the game gives isn't as explicit as it could be.

Damn, I didn't even think to do that. Does that work in some of the other battles as well?

Damn, I didn't even think to do that. Does that work in some of the other battles as well?

Every boss is different, but
Papyrus
probably does have a similar tendency to not want to hurt you. On account of liking you too much.

There's a small payoff if you do go down this route.

Repetitive, again, but if you want to save on healing items it's a legitimate strategy!

Ludens

Banned
Just started the game, it's exactly my cup of tea. I hope the game is filled with secrets and obscure stuff, I'm loving it so far.

Zubz

Banned
You don't go to the lab in Geno

Yeah, besides,
aren't they invincible
?

On a similar note,
is it possible to attack Asriel after he goes all "God of Hyperdeath?" Or, like, at all? I was joking about finally throwing an attack late into my Pacifist Run to a friend, but I was getting into the scene and didn't want to veer it off course

Kangi

Yeah, besides,
aren't they invincible
?

On a similar note,
is it possible to attack Asriel after he goes all "God of Hyperdeath?" Or, like, at all? I was joking about finally throwing an attack late into my Pacifist Run to a friend, but I was getting into the scene and didn't want to veer it off course

Every attack just misses at that point.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You can't, but it helps to abstain from killing in the first playthrough. I think it's the better experience anyway. You miss quite a bit killing creatures.

Ludens

Banned
How can I open the
door in the snowy area?
Also I triggered a boss fight here, the mob killed me in no time. Is there any benefit on killing him?

DNAbro

How can I open the
door in the snowy area?
Also I triggered a boss fight here, the mob killed me in no time. Is there any benefit on killing him?

the hidden boss fight there is just for fun. The door isn't opened in the main game, it's a post credits thing. if you want a more specific answer look at next spoiler.

in the credits dodge all the names that come at you.

Ludens

Banned
the hidden boss fight there is just for fun. The door isn't opened in the main game, it's a post credits thing. if you want a more specific answer look at next spoiler.

in the credits dodge all the names that come at you.

Oh, thanks.

Bakkus

Fuck, my laptop died and apparently I can't continue my save file on another computer despite being played from the same Steam account. Am I screwed or is there a way to fix this?

JerkShep

I was skeptical, I feared the hype for this game was actually creating expectations that were impossible the match. Then I played the game and after a few hours I was a believer. There are so many memorable moments. It might not be a perfect game but I encourage anyone who is on the fence to play it, it's one of the most memorable experiences this year. I had actual goosebumbs during some of the latter sequences of the Neutral Route and during the True Pacifist Ending...don't know if I can do Genocide Run now honestly. The OST is incredible.

Miker

I'm starting it for the first time soon, and don't really know much about it besides that you can spare enemies. How many endings are there, and what's the best/optimal order of endings to get? Do I have to replay the whole game to get different endings, or does it branch at a certain point so I can save then branch out, so that I don't have to play through the game [x] number of times?

DNAbro

I'm starting it for the first time soon, and don't really know much about it besides that you can spare enemies. How many endings are there, and what's the best/optimal order of endings to get? Do I have to replay the whole game to get different endings, or does it branch at a certain point so I can save then branch out, so that I don't have to play through the game [x] number of times?

I can give you a breakdown of how many endings. This will spoil some things but if you are fine with that to play "optimally" then it's good. I knew this going in as well and it didn't ruin anything for me.

There are 3 regarded main paths.

Neutral, Pacifist, and genocide. Neutral occurs when you kill any monster at any point. The Neutral ending has different ending scenes depending on who is alive or dead. The pacifist ending requires you to not kill any monsters. The genocide ending requires you to literally kill everything until monsters stop showing up.

If you decide to go pacifist first off you will have to see the neutral ending first, and then you can reload to get the pacifist exclusive content(and there is quite a bit). If you kill any monsters at any point, you would have to re-do the whole game pacifist to see that ending.

Genocide is a different monster and should really only be done after a pacifist run. you might not want to do it at that point though.

So if you want to most optimal way to play Pacifist(see neutral ending)->reload->pacifist ending->then reset and do genocide.

Miker

I can give you a breakdown of how many endings. This will spoil some things but if you are fine with that to play "optimally" then it's good. I knew this going in as well and it didn't ruin anything for me.

There are 3 regarded main paths.

Neutral, Pacifist, and genocide. Neutral occurs when you kill any monster at any point. The Neutral ending has different ending scenes depending on who is alive or dead. The pacifist ending requires you to not kill any monsters. The genocide ending requires you to literally kill everything until monsters stop showing up.

If you decide to go pacifist first off you will have to see the neutral ending first, and then you can reload to get the pacifist exclusive content(and there is quite a bit). If you kill any monsters at any point, you would have to re-do the whole game pacifist to see that ending.

Genocide is a different monster and should really only be done after a pacifist run. you might not want to do it at that point though.

So if you want to most optimal way to play Pacifist(see neutral ending)->reload->pacifist ending->then reset and do genocide.

Okay, so it sounds like I can
play 99% as pacifist, then kill one monster at the end to get neutral? Then reload, and finish up the remaining 1% as pacifist?

DNAbro

Okay, so it sounds like I can
play 99% as pacifist, then kill one monster at the end to get neutral? Then reload, and finish up the remaining 1% as pacifist?

not exactly, i guess i wasn't clear

you are going to see the neutral ending first regardless if you killed something or not. It's just if you did kill something you would have had to had replay the whole game, if you didn't kill anything you can just reload your save file.

there are other minor requirements for pacifist as well but they are kind of obvious, just be nice. if you do miss something the ending will tell you where to start to finish it up.

Zubz

Banned
Is it a good idea to go for a pacifist run on someone's first playthrough?

You can't, but it helps to abstain from killing in the first playthrough. I think it's the better experience anyway. You miss quite a bit killing creatures.

I mean, you technically can get a Pacifist ending on your first try.
Just follow the Pacifist Route all the way through the 2 Neutral Final Bosses. Don't finish off either of them; when you beat the second one, you can return to your old save. From there, just backtrack until you trigger the last condition that has to be met for the Pacifist ending ("Dating" a 3rd character). You still have to go through the Neutral Ending, but you don't have to start anything over again after you do it.

Miker

not exactly, i guess i wasn't clear

you are going to see the neutral ending first regardless if you killed something or not. It's just if you did kill something you would have had to had replay the whole game, if you didn't kill anything you can just reload your save file.

there are other minor requirements for pacifist as well but they are kind of obvious, just be nice. if you do miss something the ending will tell you where to start to finish it up.

Uh...huh. I'll just try and go full pacifist in my first play through and see what happens from there, I guess. If this as good as people say, I suppose I wouldn't mind reloading or even replaying.

Top Bottom