• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

I have one question regarding
genocide run: do I need to kill EVERYTHING? I mean, I see there's one boss who only appear in October, I need to kill him too?
It's not just killing everything, you need to kill until there's nothing left. So Sorry doesn't count and I think neither does Jerry lol

Sami+

I'm confused by the story discussions - is the
Fallen Child the player character, or the kid that fell and lived with the king and Asriel before the game begins?

I just beat the game with the pacifist ending (LOVED it btw) and I'll go back to meet up with Undyne and the scientist chick to get the better ending later, but I don't wanna 100% every tiny thing - what's the gist of the greater story being told here?

Fallen Child the player character, or the kid that fell and lived with the king and Asriel before the game begins?
Both

Dun dun duuuuuun

The game is ambiguous on purpose but in general when they talk about the fallen child they are talking about Chara

DNAbro

I just beat the game with the pacifist ending (LOVED it btw) and I'll go back to meet up with Undyne and the scientist chick to get the better ending later, but I don't wanna 100% every tiny thing - what's the gist of the greater story being told here?

if you didn't hang out with Undyne and Alphys you didn't get the pacifist ending.

Ludens

Banned
I thought I completed the game, but in the
pacifist run there's a whole new section, the true lab. Just did that, plus I defeated the ending boss, now I can walk as I want before triggering the end. You mentioned ruins are open, what's inside?

Sami+

if you didn't hang out with Undyne and Alphys you didn't get the pacifist ending.

Oh, just Neutral then?
Flowey straight up told me to save scum for a better ending so I assumed that was just the "true" ending that I hadn't gotten.

DNAbro

I thought I completed the game, but in the
pacifist run there's a whole new section, the true lab. Just did that, plus I defeated the ending boss, now I can walk as I want before triggering the end. You mentioned ruins are open, what's inside?

just go back and see. The whole trip back is worth it. Also keep checking your phone for Toriel's messages, it's pretty great.

Oh, just Neutral then?
Flowey straight up told me to save scum for a better ending so I assumed that was just the "true" ending that I hadn't gotten.

yup, things will make a lot more sense after you do the extra pacifist stuff.

This is probably a dumb question, but does the game tell you up front that you shouldn't kill monsters? I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were discussing Undertale and one of the hosts claimed the game straight up says that you shouldn't kill.

If that's the case, then I completely missed it. That was one of my bigger gripes with the game is that it wasn't clear on what you were and weren't supposed to do.

DNAbro

This is probably a dumb question, but does the game tell you up front that you shouldn't kill monsters? I was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were discussing Undertale and one of the hosts claimed the game straight up says that you shouldn't kill.

If that's the case, then I completely missed it. That was one of my bigger gripes with the game is that it wasn't clear on what you were and weren't supposed to do.

Kind of? Toriel makes mention that you should just talk it out with the monsters you meet. But the game doesn't try and drill it into your head. It kind of expects that you will kill something due to rpg conventions.

Ludens

Banned

Yup, in two istances:
during the beginning with the dummy, and after the neutral ending, Flowy tells you to avoid killing monsters in order to unlock the true ending.

First of all, you only got the Neutral ending. The Pacifist ending requires
getting the Neutral ending, and then reloading and doing some extra stuff. Definitely don't try to look up the gist of the story yet. Go back and get the Pacifist ending. If you're not sure where to start, go to
Undyne's house in Waterfall to trigger an event. If you already triggered this event while playing, then go instead to the bridge connecting the Hotel to the Core to trigger the next step.

Regarding the "Fallen Child",
it's the kid that fell and lived with the king and Asriel. At the start of the game, you're asked to name the Fallen Child, but that name is used to refer to them, not you. According to the developer, their "canon" name is Chara. The player character has a fixed name, which you won't have learned yet.

Since you probably already read Stone Ocean's comment about
Chara possessing the playable character, it's not quite that clear cut, and it only applies to the Genocide run. I'd strongly recommend finishing the Pacifist run first, and then watching a video of the differences in a Genocide run. That's what I did.

You definitely need to get the Pacifist ending at the very least.

Well, I'd say those don't really count. Toriel does tell you to talk to the dummy, but just that; the dummy. She doesn't say anything about regular enemies. And she doesn't even tell you outright not to fight the dummy.

At no point at the start of the game are you outright told "don't kill enemies". You're clearly told how to do so, but whether or not you should is left up to you. But that's a good thing; Undertale doesn't tell you what you're "supposed to do", because that's a morality choice. One that has has consequences.

On an unrelated note, I can't believe I never caught that Sans and Papyrus are named after their font styles in their text boxes. And that Toriel is named as such because she acts as a tutorial.

Sami+

First of all, you only got the Neutral ending. The Pacifist ending requires
getting the Neutral ending, and then reloading and doing some extra stuff. Definitely don't try to look up the gist of the story yet. Go back and get the Pacifist ending. If you're not sure where to start, go to
Undyne's house in Waterfall to trigger an event. If you already triggered this event while playing, then go instead to the bridge connecting the Hotel to the Core to trigger the next step.

Regarding the "Fallen Child",
it's the kid that fell and lived with the king and Asriel. At the start of the game, you're asked to name the Fallen Child, but that name is used to refer to them, not you. According to the developer, their "canon" name is Chara. The player character has a fixed name, which you won't have learned yet.

Since you probably already read Stone Ocean's comment about
Chara possessing the playable character, it's not quite that clear cut, and it only applies to the Genocide run. I'd strongly recommend finishing the Pacifist run first, and then watching a video of the differences in a Genocide run. That's what I did.

You definitely need to get the Pacifist ending at the very least.

Well, I'd say those don't really count. Toriel does tell you to talk to the dummy, but just that; the dummy. She doesn't say anything about regular enemies. And she doesn't even tell you outright not to fight the dummy.

At no point at the start of the game are you outright told "don't kill enemies". You're clearly told how to do so, but whether or not you should is left up to you. But that's a good thing; Undertale doesn't tell you what you're "supposed to do", because that's a morality choice. One that has has consequences.

On an unrelated note, I can't believe I never caught that Sans and Papyrus are named after their font styles in their text boxes. And that Toriel is named as such because she acts as a tutorial.

I've been looking at the nightmare fuel genocide stuff on TV Tropes lol but I'll stop for now. I'll do the rest tonight, probably.

Saikyo

That Sans sure is a comic, huh?

03b.png

Sami+

Got the true ending. Was nice.

Watched the
genocide run
on YouTube.

Fuck.

I almost closed the video when Papyrus confronts Chara. Good dude to the end. Fuck. Sans secretly being the most powerful monster by far was pretty rad. But man. That was insane. I'm legit shook, lol.

PBalfredo

I've been thinking about how Undertale's relationship with the player as an entity recognized by the game parallels the meta-narrative that developed around Twitch Plays Pokemon. (Spoiler tagged to be careful since I'm making allusions to late game themes in Undertale)

As I'm sure most are well aware, a lot of lore was developed by the community of players of Twitch Plays Pokemon. Most of it revolves around the pokemon we caught (Praise Helix, Bird Jesus, etc), but as TPP got more completed games under our belt, lore started to develop around us, the players. As we moved from game to game, our influence on the pokemon trainer started to crystallize in lore as an outside force that would swoop in, possess a random trainer, and control their actions until they became the pokemon champion and/or until we were satisfied (beating Red on Mt. Silver, catching all 151, other post-game activities, etc), in which case "the Voices" which possess the trainer would release control and move on to the next one. The Voices would then have their fun, playing the game and going through all the drama involved. Some of drama was purposeful, either as means towards beating the game or as means of trolling, though most of it was accidental. Either way, the chaotic way the Voices play the game was surely tumultuous for our in-game avatars. But we would invariably emerge as pokemon champion, owing largely to our unwavering determination more than anything else (though coordination improved greatly when touchscreen controls were introduced in the DS games). After all, who can stand against an extra-dimensional force that never gives up and has unlimited retries?

So we beat the game and then move on to the next. Simple, right? But then an extra wrinkle emerges when it came time to play the remakes of the games we already beat. What does it mean for our original run through Pokemon Red when we started FireRed? Especially since FireRed was a Randomized run where the ROM was hacked to mix up pokemon and their locations, types and movesets, which lead to the community to adopt the lore of "Oops! We fucked with the timestream!". Then it happened again with HeartGold, and again with the one year anniversary replay of Pokemon Red. Our avatars go through the whole ordeal, only for it all to be reset in a remake or a replay because the players want to play it again the same, but different. Sometimes we'll have a run with few or no released pokemon. Other times the Voices release as many as they can (especially if it's a fire type starter) just to see the reaction (of other players). It's very similar to how the player is viewed in Undertale, only here the meta-narrative came about naturally over the course of the community playing the games, likely because the nature of Twitch Plays Pokemon magnifies the gulf between the player(s) and the in-game avatar, since your will is not necessarily same as the avatar, in this case because you have to share that will.

AllenShrz

How long is this game? Im 6 hrs in and with no end insight, Im currently at
After the fight of Mettaton

In general, I dont get the hype for this game. I guess is not for me, it did got some chuckles out of me but thats it. Im forcing myself playing through it but is getting harder and harder to care.

Zareka

This game...

Man, I almost skipped this. The hype surrounding it and the fact it seemed like your quintessential weird "heuheu I'm so quirky" game really put me off. I was convinced that, should I play it, it'd be nothing more than a pretty good game that got way, way overhyped by the fanbase. I mean all I got from it was "lololol memes!" and that's never a good sign.

And after I finished my first neutral ending, I still felt that way. Sure the characters, story and setting were kinda neat, but I was never a fan of bullet hell gameplay. The meta twists were decent and well done, but nothing I hadn't seen before. Whatever, though, I'll do a second run. I need a break from Xenoblade anyway.

What I intended to be a quick half hour bash turned into another 5-6 hour run by the time I finished up everything included in the neutral end. I was hooked on the characters and the story. I pressed on to finish the True Pacifist ending and, well, I can't quite put into words what I feel. I have never experienced anything like Undertale, never mind any other game.
I spent a good hour+ wandering around the world right before the game ended for good, and I didn't care at all that I spent so much time doing it. I hunted down every shopkeeper, random mob and main/supporting character to see how everyone was getting on and to say my goodbyes. The Mettaton story concluding was particularly heartwarming. And yup...I even went all the way back and found Asriel. That hit me something fierce.

All I've been able to think about since I finished the game yesterday is Undertale. I immediatly purchased the soundtrack and it's all I've listened to since. I'm still processing it all, frankly. I honestly cannot put into words how much I loved Undertale, or just how unique an experience it was.

It's pretty funny, actually. My main driving force behind completing my True Pacifist run was to, well...do a Genocide run. It sounded so dark, so different, so interesting! I couldn't wait to play through the game like that to see how it changed.

Then, of course....
I loaded up the game. Flowey greeted me instead of the usual story opener and gave me that speech. I still haven't brought myself to reset. I just can't do it.
Undertale is one of the very, very few games that pulled its cast and setting off so well that I genuinely believe that, nestled somewhere on my hard drive, there's a living, thriving world. All of those characters exist. It's madness that I'm thinking like this, but I am! I can't get over that.
And I just can't take away their happy ending - their ONE AND ONLY CHANCE at a truly happy ending - away from them. But I'm still so curious, just to see what happens. I'm basically Flowey.

Man. It's half 4 in the morning and I need sleep. I don't even know why I'm typing all this out. I don't know anyone else who's played it and I feel I need to get my love for this game out somewhere. To get it off my chest. All I wanna do is freak about it. I love this game!

This game...

Man, I almost skipped this. The hype surrounding it and the fact it seemed like your quintessential weird "heuheu I'm so quirky" game really put me off. I was convinced that, should I play it, it'd be nothing more than a pretty good game that got way, way overhyped by the fanbase. I mean all I got from it was "lololol memes!" and that's never a good sign.

And after I finished my first neutral ending, I still felt that way. Sure the characters, story and setting were kinda neat, but I was never a fan of bullet hell gameplay. The meta twists were decent and well done, but nothing I hadn't seen before. Whatever, though, I'll do a second run. I need a break from Xenoblade anyway.

What I intended to be a quick half hour bash turned into another 5-6 hour run by the time I finished up everything included in the neutral end. I was hooked on the characters and the story. I pressed on to finish the True Pacifist ending and, well, I can't quite put into words what I feel. I have never experienced anything like Undertale, never mind any other game.
I spent a good hour+ wandering around the world right before the game ended for good, and I didn't care at all that I spent so much time doing it. I hunted down every shopkeeper, random mob and main/supporting character to see how everyone was getting on and to say my goodbyes. The Mettaton story concluding was particularly heartwarming. And yup...I even went all the way back and found Asriel. That hit me something fierce.

All I've been able to think about since I finished the game yesterday is Undertale. I immediatly purchased the soundtrack and it's all I've listened to since. I'm still processing it all, frankly. I honestly cannot put into words how much I loved Undertale, or just how unique an experience it was.

It's pretty funny, actually. My main driving force behind completing my True Pacifist run was to, well...do a Genocide run. It sounded so dark, so different, so interesting! I couldn't wait to play through the game like that to see how it changed.

Then, of course....
I loaded up the game. Flowey greeted me instead of the usual story opener and gave me that speech. I still haven't brought myself to reset. I just can't do it.
Undertale is one of the very, very few games that pulled its cast and setting off so well that I genuinely believe that, nestled somewhere on my hard drive, there's a living, thriving world. All of those characters exist. It's madness that I'm thinking like this, but I am! I can't get over that.
And I just can't take away their happy ending - their ONE AND ONLY CHANCE at a truly happy ending - away from them. But I'm still so curious, just to see what happens. I'm basically Flowey.

Man. It's half 4 in the morning and I need sleep. I don't even know why I'm typing all this out. I don't know anyone else who's played it and I feel I need to get my love for this game out somewhere. To get it off my chest. All I wanna do is freak about it. I love this game!

Other than your initial lack of enthusiasm, this mirrors everything I've went through. I haven't been able think about anything else since finishing it, I've been listening to the soundtrack, I can't being myself to
restart, much less do a Genocide run (I recommend watching a video that shows the differences; there's one on Youtube that's an hour long), I wandered around for about an hour talking to everyone before ending it
, and I have an overwhelming urge to recommend Undertale to everyone I know.

One of my friends started it today, and I'm praying he enjoys it (he's only just left the Ruins; he said it hasn't grabbed him yet, but in my opinion that's normal, as I think it was the
Papyrus boss fight
where I started to feel it was something truly special).

In my opinion, Undertale is one of the best games ever made; I enjoyed it in a way I've never enjoyed any other game.

Zeroth

In general, I dont get the hype for this game. I guess is not for me, it did got some chuckles out of me but thats it. Im forcing myself playing through it but is getting harder and harder to care.

Almost at the end, about 30 minutes left? Keep in mind you need to do some additional things after finishing the game (if you are doing a pacifist run) to get the real ending.

Kangi

If you fought and defeated
Mettaton EX
, then not much longer. If you just first encountered
Mettaton
, then well... I don't know what you've been doing for six whole hours. =p

Saikyo

Then, of course....

Dont worry, you will return someday and finally do it

: )

Kinsei

Banned
I just realized that Waterfall's music is
Undyne's theme
slowed down. This game is filled with so many amazing little touches.

Thats very good

Can you do Monster Kid sprite? :v

Can you make me an avatar out of that Sans? I'd really appreciate it.

I can't do proper avatars atm as I'm on lapypop as a party, so can't do transparency atm, but I'll see if I can do it at home. (or if someone else is good with image transparency/etc maybe do it for him?)

Not sure which chars I'll do, I'm just sorta randomly doing em.

Here's them so far btw:

https://twitter.com/Neoriceisgood/status/682618201071550464

Posting em on twitter as I go along.

/edit

Usually don't do requests, but monster kid was really easy so here you go:

CXkq4RmWsAAmDaA.png

Tizoc

Maybe it's cuz I'm playing this while I'm sleepy buuuut
how do I beat Papyrus Pacifist style?
Do I gotta flirt, then choose spare then insult him, then I can make my way to Sparing him?

DNAbro

Maybe it's cuz I'm playing this while I'm sleepy buuuut
how do I beat Papyrus Pacifist style?
Do I gotta flirt, then choose spare then insult him, then I can make my way to Sparing him?

just spare him once and then outlast his attacks. He'll keep talking.

CXlNLRTWEAAXjRT.png

Okay here's 9 random Undertale sprites, leaving it at that for now.

Hope you guys like it & like all the sprites I post they're free for anyone to use.

(Snip)

I have never experienced anything like Undertale, never mind any other game.

Then, of course....

Same as Shotgun Kiss said, besides the initial lack of enthusiasm you had for the game, your experience and love for the game mirrors my own in a way. All I needed to go from "This is apparently awesome, I should try it out to find out for myself" to "This is incredible" was actually just the demo. I really was affected by even that short snippet. I intentionally avoided
asking how to leave the ruins
as much as possible, choosing to try to see if inaction would get
Toriel to tell me the obvious secret she was keeping on her own

The game already hooked me emotionally by the time I saw Toriel, since she is such a unique character. I even waited around when she
gave me the cellphone
, and got all the extra dialogue from doing that.

Anyways, aside from deciding after the demo to be completely
pacifist
from the beginning, and obviously already being hooked by that point, I do agree that the
neutral ending
was not as affecting as the
pacifist ending
, and I too spent an hour+ (probably more like 2 hours+, also late in the night, until something around 2-4am)
wandering around talking to every single NPC and trying to resolve every conflict or story thread. Finding Mettaton's origin, the ice monster family reunited, and Asriel at the very beginning of the game was really special.

What's crazy is that in accordance with the game's request to never play again after getting a true pacifist ending, apparently Asriel can never be found at the beginning area again, even if you do another complete pacifist run immediately after bearing the game. Really adds to the feeling that the game is honestly its own world. Creepy easter eggs like Gaster (you should look him up if you haven't) also add on to this feeling of the game truly being a unique world that is at the whim of the player and it's code/designer.

Undertale is truly a special and incredible game, and I too want to recommend it to everybody! I've begun playing Mother 3 to see if part of it's inspiration holds up, logically I should actually be playing Earthbound/Mother 2 to see what Toby was inspired by, right? But Mother 3 stands out a bit more to me, I'll go back to 2 if 3 is something I like.

I also wonder, was the main character in Undertale a boy, or a girl, in your opinion? I find it interesting to see how the androgynous portrayal swings for other people. She struck me as a girl, personally, I saw her sort of as "daughter-like", but gave her a somewhat ambiguous name, with "Sam" ("Samuel/"Samantha").

Edit:

Sorry for the double post but this is really interesting
https://twitter.com/FwugRadiation/status/682652148639875073

Toby teasing the "game shrouded in darkness" that was specified in the Undertale kickstarter that is related to Undertale. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1002143342/undertale/posts/541086

Hmm, thanks for bringing that up. That does seem really interesting. I was aware of some kind of extra thing being considered during the Kickstarter, but I heard barely anything about it, since I wasn't introduced to the game during its Kickstarter funding. Very interesting.

CXlNLRTWEAAXjRT.png

Okay here's 9 random Undertale sprites, leaving it at that for now.

Hope you guys like it & like all the sprites I post they're free for anyone to use.

Woah, awesome job. Just wondering, to make pixel art like this, do you start with a regular drawing of a character in the style that you want, then manually try to convert the essence of that drawing into pixel art, or do you just start with the pixels and low resolutions to get what you want to make? I'm interested in the "pixel art process".

Woah, awesome job. Just wondering, to make pixel art like this, do you start with a regular drawing of a character in the style that you want, then manually try to convert the essence of that drawing into pixel art, or do you just start with the pixels and low resolutions to get what you want to make? I'm interested in the "pixel art process".

I start with the pixelart right away, personally I'm a big fan of the color blocking method.

You can see a couple of progress animations I've saved here: http://neoriceisgood.deviantart.com/gallery/50146449/Progress-Animations

Actually seeing how I work is probably more instructive than me trying to explain images. ^^

Top Bottom