• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Airlines violently drags a doctor off a plane so employee could take his seat

Why do you fly United?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hbkdx12

Sounds like they did everything correctly: offer incentives(completely unnecessary, but they do it to attempt to compensate people), then randomly select people. It's the guy that refused to leave that handled it poorly. He had no chance of staying after he was selected to leave.

No flipping way they did everything correctly. There's really only two options here that would have been "right"

1) Ask for volunteers with a cash incentive and keep bumping the incentive/rewards til some one bites or

2) Skip the volunteer incentive altogether and inform the passengers that 4 of them would be chosen at random to deboard and they'd be compensated accordingly.

You can't give people the option to do something and then when they decide not to opt in, you suddenly make it mandatory as a fuck you.

Zoe

Here is another solution I just thought of...

This seems like it was the last flight of the day?

Did the flight crew working this flight have to actually be in Louisville for a flight or were they heading home?

Make the people who HAD to be on that flight to Louisville because they had another flight to work, work this flight, let the other flight crew stay in Chicago and fly them out first thing in the morning or have them drive to Louisville.

Either way there are more than a few solutions United could've used to rectify the issue.

It's not that simple. There's a maximum number of hours a crew can work and a minimum number of hours of rest before they can work again. As mentioned earlier in the thread, any kind of travel would ding them on the latter.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
first one police officer told him he had to leave the plane..then a second was called to assist..still he refused..then a third officer was brought in..still he refused..then he was forcibly removed.
It was his fault force was used in the end..he chose that.
First of all, not police officers, just security staff, but nice try at ginning up their bona fides.

Second, kudos to 1 man "forcing" airline staff (4-5 people at least, on most planes) and 3 additional security officers to consider violent force as somehow the only solution to their problem. Not just run the lottery again. Or to just not make the airline's scheduling problems for *another* flight the burden for respectfully paying customers on *this* flight, in the first place.

Yes, he alone chose that.

marrec

Banned
"If there is an excuse for me to NOT provide a high level of customer service, I will find it!"

-bloodydrake

Listen, I can't offer any more than 800 corporate mickey mouse bucks that you will inevitably wipe your ass with because it's worth more as toilet paper, but what I can do is call in people who will come smash your face into the nearest armrest. That's the United advantage.

Aselith

Most airlines only allow you to do that if you pay $200, which is more than the cost of the flight in a lot of cases.

The other thing is that a lot of these practices were implemented when jet fuel was expensive and needed to do it to survive. Jet fuel has come down in price but they are still overbooking like crazy.

Right and all airlines overbook

yeah they smacked his head onto the armpit. That's totally different
You make it seem like they did that on purpose. While a bad situation, it is not like they deliberately did that. They tried to drag him out of the seat after refusing to leave the plane and he got hurt in the process.

That said, the dragging him out after is completely fucked. They should have helped him up and have him walk out.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Due to excessive traffic causing server overload, user bloodydrake has been randomly chosen to close their account. If he or she does not comply, he or she is a narcissist and will be removed forcibly by the gaf police.

So your saying
"I call for the thought police to shut down all opinions I object to.. please I thought this was a safeplace..where was the trigger warning?"
You'll go far Comrade

It's not that simple. There's a maximum number of hours a crew can work and a minimum number of hours of rest before they can work again. As mentioned earlier in the thread, any kind of travel would ding them on the latter.

It's easier than bloodying and dragging a paying customer out.

If you wanted to be fair by the business standard you use the last in first out model a lot of companies use when there is downsizing or lay offs.

Find out who were the last 4 to check in, and they get the boot.

I don't know how early this guy got there, but if he showed up and was waiting for 3 hours for this flight and gets booted I'd understand why he just refused to move.

$800 for a goddamn doctor is a borderline insult, what unfolded on that airline afterwards a travesty. A fuck up from United but don't see much happening here. Overbooking needs to be grounded, flight crews do take priority, and so should doctors & other emergency/military personnel - just kick someone else out.
You make it sound like this is the last doctor on Earth.

While I don't condone the way he was removed from the plane, overbooking happens. And to those saying "when they found out he was a doctor they should have picked someone else", every other person asked to leave would find a reason they NEED to be on the plane.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
First of all, not police officers, just security staff, but nice try at ginning up their bona fides.

Second, kudos to 1 man "forcing" airline staff (4-5 people at least, on most planes) and 3 additional security officers to consider violent force as somehow the only solution to their problem. Not just run the lottery again. Or to just not make the airline's scheduling problems for *another* flight the burden for respectfully paying customers on *this* flight, in the first place.

Yes, he alone chose that.

actually they apparently were police not just security guards..go figure

Sevenfold

So, they asked for volunteers, nobody wanted to leave. Then they picked 4 random seats. Guy refused to leave and cooperate with security. They want to force him, he hits his face when falling down.

Situation was handled badly, but I also get why they needed him to leave. You can't just have people refuse in a plane, otherwise everybody would just go "fuck off" when it happens to them.

Holy shit. If the airline have put themselves in a position where they have to remove people who have already boarded the aircraft. IT'S ON THEM!

Also everybody saying he was acting like a baby, how do you know his mental state? He might be terrified of flying, terrified of being singled out, of having armed men tower over him? Other passengers said he was disoriented after his return. Could it be the case that he was a bit anyway and no one noticed? Anyway all of that aside. He is a paying customer. What gives them the right to treat anybody that way?! The world is getting nuttier by the day!

The airline response is bizarre, terrible wording that isn't going to do them any favours in court, and seemingly nonplussed about the content of the video. I look forward to the follow up articles.

those crew members were to man another flight, they needed to be on this flight
so why does this one guy get to potentially cancel a whole nother flight.
why didn't they put him on a bus? thats a good question?

If United have to cancel a flight because four staff members can't catch a flight to staff it, United should probably look into how their business operates.

Why didn't they have standby staff incase something like this happened? Why should customers bend to their will and he happy to leave a flight because they choose to cut corners on staffing.

Aselith

My point is, they can only sell 250 of something.

If the plane only has 100 seats, they should only be allowed to sell 100 seats.

I guess a better example would be a movie theatre with reserved seating.

They only have 50 seats, I've never heard of anyone being bumped out of a movie showing because they oversold a showing.

You've never heard of an oversold theatre?

Quotient

I'm just trying to think of sitting in an airplane seat, being told to vacate that seat by security and refusing to do so.

What was the next move when you are asked by security to leave an airplane? Seriously.

An hour stand off?
A 24 hour standoff?

As anyone who travels frequently knows. Flights get bumped, overbooked, canceled, and delayed, and your inconvenience is not going to stop 300 people and 500,000 pounds of jet from getting to it's destination. Its not the line at the supermarket. If you are asked to leave a plane by security, you do so. Throwing a tantrum to the point that you need to be dragged off a plane is ridiculous.

As much as i disagree with the airline having to kick people off, you do make a good point. Once security is involved and the airline is asking you to leave, you don't have many options.

The airline did not handle that well and i would say neither did the passenger.

This thread is too funny. Am I on some sort of shadow version of NeoGAF run by the airlines? What is going on?

Let's suppose (for the sake of argument) that the guy didn't have any life-critical stuff going on that absolutely required him to make the flight at that moment. In that case, would it maybe have been best, at least from the standpoint of social etiquette, for him to accept his terrible luck and march off the plane? Yeah, maybe. I guess so?

But why on earth would that be the focus of discussion? Isn't the more interesting thing that airlines now run lotteries to remove ticket holders from flights on the runway when it's in the airline's financial interest to do so?

Niks

Man, the comments here defending the airline...

9uoAEUk.gif

Hell for $400 they could've booked an uber from Chicago to Louisville for that flight crew that had to be on that flight to work a flight out of Louisville.

Isn't it remotely possible they aren't authorized to offer more?. Not everyone has a Bat Phone to call to get company policy changed on the fly.

If that's United's policy, to only offer $800 and if no one accepts, pick random passengers and forcibly remove them, then that's an effed up policy. So yeah, it's still a United problem.

I won't disagree that being kicked off a flight you're seated in sucks, but it's not your plane, and if they want you to leave, you're not going to win that fight. It had nothing to do with them offering compensation.

What? United offered compensation to get volunteers to leave the plane. These were all paying customers. They valued this flight and their inconvenience from staying an additional night at more than the $800 offered by United. Why do you not expect United to increase their offer over the $800 to get volunteers? Why is $800 some magical amount that they can't go over? It's dumb.

Overbooking was still a problem because if they didn't overbook there would be empty seats that the crew could take.

But that's not overbooking then. Overbooking is when you sell more seats than you have available. United didn't do that here, they just needed to take seats for crew of another flight from customers.

MultiCore

No flipping way they did everything correctly. There's really only two options here that would have been "right"

1) Ask for volunteers with a cash incentive and keep bumping the incentive/rewards til some one bites or

2) Skip the volunteer incentive altogether and inform the passengers that 4 of them would be chosen at random to deboard and they'd be compensated accordingly.

You can't give people the option to do something and then when they decide not to opt in, you suddenly make it mandatory as a fuck you.
Sure you can. The people buying tickets on a plane don't suddenly have an inanalienable right to fly on that particular flight, no matter the circumstances.

The 4 people chosen would be "compensated accordingly": with another flight. It's in the terms they agree to when they buy tickets.

What? United offered compensation to get volunteers to leave the plane. These were all paying customers. They valued this flight and their inconvenience from staying an additional night at more than the $800 offered by United. Why do you not expect United to increase their offer over the $800 to get volunteers? Why is $800 some magical amount that they can't go over? It's dumb.
Someone being kicked off a plane isn't predicated on them being offered enough money to feel good.

marrec

Banned
This thread is too funny. Am I on some sort of shadow version of NeoGAF run by the airlines? What is going on?

Let's suppose (for the sake of argument) that the guy didn't have any life-critical stuff going on that absolutely required him to make the flight at that moment. In that case, would it maybe have been best, at least from the standpoint of social etiquette, for him to accept his terrible luck and march off the plane? Yeah, maybe. I guess so?

But why on earth would that be the focus of discussion? Isn't the more interesting thing that airlines now run lotteries to remove ticket holders from flights on the runway when it's in the airline's financial interest to do so?

It's not even about that, people are just trying to look smart by saying that the airline was within their rights to refuse this guy a seat.

We know the airline could remove someone, it's just fucked that they did it this way.

EloKa

You make it seem like they did that on purpose. While a bad situation, it is not like they deliberately did that. They tried to drag him out of the seat after refusing to leave the plane and he got hurt in the process.

That said, the dragging him out after is completely fucked. They should have helped him up and have him walk out.

from the OP:
"and threw the passenger against the armrest before dragging him out of the plane."

they did not care that he got (kind of) unconscious and that he was bleeding from his mouth. While it is not known whether they did it on purpose or not - given their overall bevahiour I wouldn't suprised if they actually planned to knock him out.

cchum

Theatres aren't a mode of transportation that people rely on to get from place to place. They also have assigned seating where as theatres often don't.

They also stop selling tickets when sold out.

And also let the employees watch movies afterhours (aka taxi analogy).

Calamari41

41 > 38

Sounds like United should learn how to staff and run their shifts correctly, then. They should have known what crew they needed and where they were needed more than five minutes before takeoff, after everyone had already boarded. Shit company should hire some competent managers.

marrec

Banned
Well you guess wrong then my man. No, that wasn't the only option. But it was the last option after the others were exhausted.

I like this narrative that he forced United's hand, like he was some fucking criminal and United are the poor victims of his dastardly deeds.

Tonedeff

It's not even about that, people are just trying to look smart by saying that the airline was within their rights to refuse this guy a seat.

We know the airline could remove someone, it's just fucked that they did it this way.

Who here disagrees?

Abounder

Banned
You make it sound like this is the last doctor on Earth.

Not really.
While I don't condone the way he was removed from the plane,
But the way you phrase things does put this mighty kindly for United ^
overbooking happens. And to those saying "when they found out he was a doctor they should have picked someone else", every other person asked to leave would find a reason they NEED to be on the plane.

Anyway no shit overbooking does happen... but the point was it really shouldn't anymore especially with how 'automated' the airline industry is - and I think professions like flight crews, doctors, and military/emergency personnel should have priority or at least be offered more than $800. What a fuck up and hopefully not a preview of our automated future lol

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
In this case, I don't think the flight was technically "overbooked", as it seems like every paying customer actually got a seat. The problem is that United needed to transport 4 of their own crew for a different flight. So it looks like United booked perfectly, but then decided at the last minute that their own crew needs were more important than paying customers.

This is a big thread so I'm sure this was already discussed but this is what it sounds like to me. Sounds like it was a plane that was 100% sold with 100% showing up and no standby passengers were able to board. Usually the "overbooked" part is when you allow for standby passengers.

Like maybe United should have planned it out better to get their flight crew to Louisville in advance instead of them throwing random people off a plane with their own goons?

If you had to throw people off, why not do it by the most recently purchased tickets also instead of random? I feel like you'd have a stronger argument to nullify the last 4 tickets sold since they technically didn't exist.

ItIsOkBro

But that's not overbooking then. Overbooking is when you sell more seats than you have available. United didn't do that here, they just needed to take seats for crew of another flight from customers.

That the flight was full means that was a point where they sold more tickets than were available. It just so happened that the math on people cancelling worked out perfectly. If they didn't overbook to fill cancellations there would be empty seats.

Tonedeff

I dunno! You and other's gotta get up in here reminding everyone that United was a-okay and it was actually the doctor who was evil so I legit don't know if someone disagrees.

Where did i say the doctor was motherfucking evil? What the fuck are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom